Papelbon on Manny: `It

Lil Bit Special

Bay is the man though.

Bay is not Manny.

However, the team played better and scored more with Bay. I would rather have a good player that wants to be there versus a malcontent like Manny.

Thank You Manny for the many great years, but it was over.

Papelbon's a tool, but he's right about this one. Manny quit on Boston and did it in a really ****ty way.

go look at his stats the last month when he "quit" and got traded

most players can't "quit" that way if they WANTED to.

Ramirez may be a jerk. But without him the Sawx would still be looking for a championship. And if they had kept him last year, throwing old guys around and such, they win another championship. Plus he would have a better contract.

Chemistry lesson-give me a team of 9 Manny Ramirezes and I will spank the daylights out of your team of 9 Scott Brosiuses.

Ramirez may be a jerk. But without him the Sawx would still be looking for a championship. And if they had kept him last year, throwing old guys around and such, they win another championship. Plus he would have a better contract.

Chemistry lesson-give me a team of 9 Manny Ramirezes and I will spank the daylights out of your team of 9 Scott Brosiuses.

I do not disagree with your post, but I do not agree with it either.

Manny was great in Boston and was better in the playoffs. No arguments there. I loved watching him at the plate and crushing balls.

With that being said, it was obvious he wanted out. Maybe his only tactic left was a scorched earth policy and if that was the case so be it. I seriously doubt if Manny stayed the Sox. They would have done anything in the playoffs or even make it. If Paps is a barometer of the club house, they were likely to implode at some point.

[quote name='Blackout

I do not disagree with your post, but I do not agree with it either.

Manny was great in Boston and was better in the playoffs. No arguments there. I loved watching him at the plate and crushing balls.

With that being said, it was obvious he wanted out. Maybe his only tactic left was a scorched earth policy and if that was the case so be it. I seriously doubt if Manny stayed the Sox. They would have done anything in the playoffs or even make it. If Paps is a barometer of the club house, they were likely to implode at some point.

Think this one through for a change. Manny wanted money. He cannot sabotage his stats and get paid. He had to sabotage when he played not how he played.

Remarkably though Ramirez(really Boras) misjudged the economy and the market, such that they really sabotaged himself contract-wise. The Yanks, Mets and Sawx were really the only teams who would ever approach the mulityear numbers he thoguht he would get when he opted out,and obviously the Sawx were out. The Madoff mess fixed the Mets and the Yanks didn't want him. Ramirez would've been better off under his old deal still with the Sawx.

Seen some comparisons in the pAst of Boras and Drew Ronsehaus. Difference is Rosnehaus, a-hole he may be,saw immediately the market for Terrell Owens wasn't good and made a quick decent 1 year deal. Something Boras made after making a mess AGAIN (as he did with A-Rod and Varitek) ultimately had no real choice but to do it.

No way. I would take the team of Brosciouses over the team of Ramirezes any day of the week. Manny is a better hitter. However, team manny would be the worst defensive, base running and situational hitting team in the league. While the Scotty B team would be amoung the best.

No way. I would take the team of Brosciouses over the team of Ramirezes any day of the week. Manny is a better hitter. However, team manny would be the worst defensive, base running and situational hitting team in the league. While the Scotty B team would be amoung the best.

Intangibles are wonderful.

I would love to have a nice guy like Brosius to have a beer with or be my neighbor or brother-in-law.

But if we're talking baseball and production, all that intangible stuff is secondary, may be less important. And while Ramirez may be an indifferent to bad fielder and Brosius superior, I would still take the Manny 9 and kick the posterior of the Scotty 9. And it wouldn't be remotely close. I'd bet the Mannys would win 96 out of 100 games, with pitching being roughly equal.

Remarkably though Ramirez(really Boras) misjudged the economy and the market, such that they really sabotaged himself contract-wise. The Yanks, Mets and Sawx were really the only teams who would ever approach the mulityear numbers he thoguht he would get when he opted out,and obviously the Sawx were out. The Madoff mess fixed the Mets and the Yanks didn't want him. Ramirez would've been better off under his old deal still with the Sawx.

Seen some comparisons in the pAst of Boras and Drew Ronsehaus. Difference is Rosnehaus, a-hole he may be,saw immediately the market for Terrell Owens wasn't good and made a quick decent 1 year deal. Something Boras made after making a mess AGAIN (as he did with A-Rod and Varitek) ultimately had no real choice but to do it.

While he did fumble A-Rod a bit, he got him cash. He boned Tek out of money by mis-judging the market for an old, great handler of pitchers, but declining bat.

[quote name='Blackout

Bay is not "the man"

he's decent sure.

Bay is a very good player. He's not Manny but he won't quit on his team either.

Bay's Avg 162 game stats are 31 HR -103 RBI's, .282 BA and a 131+ OPS.

Tex's same line in the same amount of seasons though much more playing time early on is 36-121- .290 , 134+ OPS.

I think had Bay toiled in hitter friendly Texas the above numbers would be farly close. He also hit .341 with 3 HR's and 9 RBI's in 41 AB's last post season.

BTW, Did Manny gain financially in the end by quitting on the Sox when all was said and done? I think I read he has a similiar contract dollar wise to the one that he felt the need to fake injuries and not take the bat off his shoulders in order to force his way out of. Interesting is the amount of Yankee fans who trashed his ass for his time in Boston who now are in love with him.

They put him on waivers and not one single team in baseball claimed him. Not one. Despite his obvious hitting prowess, no one was interested. Same story this offseason.

They got what they deserved only from the standpoint that they tolerated his crap for so long that they actually were fostering the behavior. Remember that whole "It's just Manny being Manny" nonsense? That was a bad move. His crap should have been nipped in the bud from day 1.

But by no means was this guy ever "short changed". He made more money monthly that you and I will ever see in our lifetimes combined. He's an extremely fortunate bastard to be good at baseball. Because he sucks at life.

Nice post. While I admit to loving watching Manny, for Boston to get rid of a headache of this level AND come back with Jason Bay who is arguably top 3 best offensive outfielder in the AL East was tremendous.

Nice post. While I admit to loving watching Manny, for Boston to get rid of a headache of this level AND come back with Jason Bay who is arguably the best offensive outfielder in the AL East was tremendous.

THEY PAID MANNY'S ENTIRE SALARY FOR THE DODGERS

lol @ acting like Boston wins.

Nice post. While I admit to loving watching Manny, for Boston to get rid of a headache of this level AND come back with Jason Bay who is arguably top 3 best offensive outfielder in the AL East was tremendous.
No knock on Bay-servicable, solid, very good. But Ramirez, jerk he may be, is arguably one of the best hitters who has ever lived.

No knock on Bay-servicable, solid, very good. But Ramirez, jerk he may be, is arguably one of the best hitters who has ever lived.

Sure but you can't have a player who fakes injuries and would not take the bat off his shoulders against MO in a pennant race regardless of what he is. Those are proven facts. When your teammates vote for you to go it's time regardless of paying his salary or not which was what?? 2 months salary in return for Bay who fits in perfectly with the Sox. Again, before Manny was traded what Yankee fans were not posting every Manny being Manny story possible while saying they would want no part of him. This sudden change of heart comes off as very weak and just rivalry spin.

Also the knock on getting Bay back by Yankee fans was let's see how he does in pressure situations outside of Pittsburgh. That question has beeen soundly answered. I wanted Manny on the Mets and the Yanks woud have been better off using AJ Burnett money on him but to knock the Boston trade considering the circumstances is wrong.

And he wouldn't have any rings were it not for playing with the Soxs, your point ?

You know that how? He did play in 2 WS and lost 2 close series w/ Cleveland. Manny was a difference makler for Boston and his attitude help set the tone for them. That was a majopr reason they were able to win series after being down 3-0 and 3-1 in the ALCS in '04 & '07.

I love how Sox fans act like Manny wasn't important.

Archived