Jets Agree to Terms with Marques Douglas

dbatesman

Paging Aten.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/new_york_jets_agree_to_terms_w.html

New York Jets agree to terms with Ravens DE Marques Douglas

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Friday March 13, 2009, 8:57 PM

The Jets have agreed to terms with defensive end Marques Douglas, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the club hasn't announced the deal.

Details of the contract were not immediately available.

Douglas, a ninth-year pro, is the third ex-Baltimore Raven to join new Jets coach Rex Ryan, the Ravens' former defensive coordinator. Linebacker Bart Scott and safety Jim Leonhard are the others.

The Jets are still hoping to land Ravens unrestricted free agent cornerback Corey Ivy.

Douglas, 6-foot-2, 292 pounds, provides depth along the defensive line. Last season, he had 36 tackles in 16 games with Baltimore as a key reserve - his third stint with the club. He has also played with the Buccaneers, Saints, and 49ers, and had been a starter for five consecutive seasons before last year.

Boland is also reporting that they signed Howard Green:

"Green potentially could give the Jets something they desperately needed last season - a quality backup for Kris Jenkins. The run defense, to put it kindly, struggled when Jenkins left the game and toward the end of the season when Jenkins was battling an injury."

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/

so it looks like there is potentially depth ...

I wish they'd bring in a receiver Holt so that we could go BPA in the draft

The Defensive Line is now set unless Rex really feels that Kenyon cannot get the job done and he feels we should take a DE with the 17th or 52nd overall.

They need another CB or two... the lost Law, Poteat, Barrett & Carrol... and only added Sheppard...

They need another CB or two... the lost Law, Poteat, Barrett & Carrol... and only added Sheppard...

I don't see a need to replace Law, Barrett or Poteat.. Just put another DE in to rush the passer, because being covered by those 3 is as good as being uncovered.

I don't see a need to replace Law, Barrett or Poteat.. Just put another DE in to rush the passer, because being covered by those 3 is as good as being uncovered.

Yeah sure... 4 CB's is plenty to have... your right... :roll:

They need one Corner to play in the 5 slot.

1. Revis

2. Sheppard

3. Lowery

4. Coleman

5. ???

Maybe they still end up signing Ivy, that would make me happy even if that means Coleman is down to 5 again.

If we draft a Corner its going to be on Day 2 and it will be because Ivy didn't end up signing with us. If we sign Ivy, we're set at Corner as well but really we don't need anything more than a 4th or 5th CB, but Ivy would be nice to have.

So when are we gonna work on the offense? Or is this team gonna win with defense alone?

Bart Scott is going to play both ILB and QB. ;)

Obviously we're going to be addressing the Offensive needs (blocking TE, OLine depth & WR) via the draft. The defense is all but set. All we need to add is another reserve ILB, reserve CB and reserve S (if we let Elam sign in Cleveland). The CB also we don't need anything better than a 4, so that means a veteran at the minimum or a Day 2 draft prospect.

I could see our 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks being used on a WR, TE and OLineman.

I think for the 5th corner we add Corey Ivy, ILB we sign a veteran or draft someone in Round 4 or 6 and S probably a veteran at the minimum, Elam, or a late draft pick (6th or 7th rounder), depending on how Ryan feels with Eric Smith as his top reserve. Maybe could use the 4th on a S and the 6th or 7the Corner if Ivy isn't signed.

Bart Scott is going to play both ILB and QB. ;)

Obviously we're going to be addressing the Offensive needs (blocking TE, OLine depth & WR) via the draft. The defense is all but set. All we need to add is another reserve ILB, reserve CB and reserve S (if we let Elam sign in Cleveland). The CB also we don't need anything better than a 4, so that means a veteran at the minimum or a Day 2 draft prospect.

I could see our 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks being used on a WR, TE and OLineman.

I think for the 5th corner we add Corey Ivy, ILB we sign a veteran or draft someone in Round 4 or 6 and S probably a veteran at the minimum, Elam, or a late draft pick (6th or 7th rounder), depending on how Ryan feels with Eric Smith as his top reserve. Maybe could use the 4th on a S and the 6th or 7the Corner if Ivy isn't signed.

How is it OBVIOUS? Noone knows for sure, we can only speculate what we'rell do in the draft.

I'd still not be surprised to see Rex Ryan use his first round draft pick on a defensive player, especially if Tyson Jackson is available. As a very defensive minded HC, I wouldn't be surprised if he uses his first draft to find a player who could be the foundation of his defense for years.

If he really like Tyson Jackson as a 3-4 End (I think he could be a stud) then IMO you have to take him. He'd be an upgrade over Coleman and with the depth now there on our line, our defense would be scary.

I'd still not be surprised to see Rex Ryan use his first round draft pick on a defensive player, especially if Tyson Jackson is available. As a very defensive minded HC, I wouldn't be surprised if he uses his first draft to find a player who could be the foundation of his defense for years.

If he really like Tyson Jackson as a 3-4 End (I think he could be a stud) then IMO you have to take him. He'd be an upgrade over Coleman and with the depth now there on our line, our defense would be scary.

And so would our offense.

I agree. The defense is solid and settled but paper thin. DE is a need, for depth this year and ultimately to replace Ellis. Still, I think RB is scary thin - Jones is beyond the age when RBs break down. And to me Leon is strictly change of pace.

Of course WR is a dire need. But I don't see Ryan and the Jets taking one in the first round, unless they trade down and add an early pick.

I agree. The defense is solid and settled but paper thin. DE is a need, for depth this year and ultimately to replace Ellis. Still, I think RB is scary thin - Jones is beyond the age when RBs break down. And to me Leon is strictly change of pace.

Of course WR is a dire need. But I don't see Ryan and the Jets taking one in the first round, unless they trade down and add an early pick.

With Douglas on the team DE is no longer a need. He is a top notch back-up to have.

Ellis was drafted in 2000, he has a few more years left in the tank, especially in the 34 system.

Jones does not have the worn & tornness (ha) of most running backs at his age, he just had a tremendous '08 season. Lets actually see him wear down before we talk of replacing him with a 1st or 2nd round draft pick especially when half of this board is asking why Leon Washington can't be an every down back.

I'm sure the Jets will pick up a bruising RB/FB type somewhere whether it be FA or on Day 2.

Still, I think RB is scary thin - Jones is beyond the age when RBs break down. And to me Leon is strictly change of pace.

I don't get the call for RB. Jones is solid and durable, and I think Washington could start. Smaller backs than him have. If Jones were to go down, I'd have no problem with that. I'm also of the feeling that RB's are pretty much a dime a dozen. There'll be decent back-up types that go undrafted. Or better guys like Derrick Ward.

I'd save drafting a back for when I need one to start. It's one position I'm also not averse to drafting high and paying - because it's definitely a position that a player can start with success as a rookie.

They aren't replacing all those stiffs. That was only the shotgun approach because none could play. I think they'll add Ivey and maybe a draft pick, but they aren't out hunting for extra CBs to play the Carroll role on the team. They carried too many last year.

T-Rich is pushing 60, i think this will be his final season, get a FB in the later rounds. still wish we had gotten owen schmitt last year when we had the chance.

They aren't going to carry two FBs so they aren't drafting one for depth. Maybe a practice squad guy or an H-back/TE that can play FB (like Pociask was).

I don't get the call for RB. Jones is solid and durable, and I think Washington could start. Smaller backs than him have. If Jones were to go down, I'd have no problem with that. I'm also of the feeling that RB's are pretty much a dime a dozen. There'll be decent back-up types that go undrafted. Or better guys like Derrick Ward.

I'd save drafting a back for when I need one to start. It's one position I'm also not averse to drafting high and paying - because it's definitely a position that a player can start with success as a rookie.

RBs get old fast. I'd rather be ahead of it than be caught lacking. And, by NFL standards, Jones is already living on borrowed time. Plus, he has a huge cap figure next year. I have never seen Leon be effective when he's been asked been asked to carry the load. He can carry the ball more than he did last year but ideally going forward he'll be paired with a bruiser.

A solid running game will be necessary if the Jets are gonna have a great defense.

RBs get old fast. I'd rather be ahead of it than be caught lacking. And, by NFL standards, Jones is already living on borrowed time. Plus, he has a huge cap figure next year. I have never seen Leon be effective when he's been asked been asked to carry the load. He can carry the ball more than he did last year but ideally going forward he'll be paired with a bruiser.

A solid running game will be necessary if the Jets are gonna have a great defense.

The Jets are weak at TE and thin on the OL, those are the positions that I'd be targeting to maintain the team's running game long before I drafted what would essentially be a third string RB.

Solidify the blocking, and even Blair Thomas could gain 3.5 ypc.

Pick up the next Danny Ware/Derrick Ward as an UFA.

The Jets are weak at TE and thin on the OL, those are the positions that I'd be targeting to maintain the team's running game long before I drafted what would essentially be a third string RB.

Far easier to get a blocker to pair with Keller than to develop a feature back. And I think the Jets are reasonably satisfied with backup OLs Hunter and Turner. If the Jets feel that, say, Wells could be an excellent NFL RB then I think they should take him with the first pick. I am leary of taking a receiver, which is the only area that is a dire need. I dont see the Jets taking a TE or OL in the first round. So I expect it to be RB, WR, DL or CB. The only likely starter among these positions would be WR, which is a rarity in the NFL.

Far easier to get a blocker to pair with Keller than to develop a feature back. And I think the Jets are reasonably satisfied with backup OLs Hunter and Turner. If the Jets feel that, say, Wells could be an excellent NFL RB then I think they should take him with the first pick. I am leary of taking a receiver, which is the only area that is a dire need. I dont see the Jets taking a TE or OL in the first round. So I expect it to be RB, WR, DL or CB. The only likely starter among these positions would be WR, which is a rarity in the NFL.

I strongly disagree.

Feature backs are born, not developed, IMHO. Either you have those instincts or you don't. That's why it's such an easy position to plug a rookie in. TE's and OL take longer to develop at the NFL level. I'd be surprised if the Jets are really happy with Hunter and Turner. After their flirtation with replacing Moore, they were pretty quick to resign him. Keller is an excellent flanker, but the Jets have absolutely nothing at the TE position aside from him.

TE would get the crowd at Radio City booing, but I think it could be a wise choice.

I strongly disagree.

Feature backs are born, not developed, IMHO. Either you have those instincts or you don't. That's why it's such an easy position to plug a rookie in. TE's and OL take longer to develop at the NFL level. I'd be surprised if the Jets are really happy with Hunter and Turner. After their flirtation with replacing Moore, they were pretty quick to resign him. Keller is an excellent flanker, but the Jets have absolutely nothing at the TE position aside from him.

TE would get the crowd at Radio City booing, but I think it could be a wise choice.

Agreed.

Still playing & saw significant time right away as rookies:

[*]Steve Slaton (2008) = 1282 rush yds, 377 rec yds, 10 TD

[*]Matt Forte (2008) = 1238 rush yds, 477 rec yds, 12 TD

[*]Chris Johnson (2008) = 1228 rush yds, 260 rec yds, 10 TD

[*]Jonathan Stewart (2008) = 838 rush yds (as a #2), 10 TD

[*]Tim Hightower (2008, overrated as he was) = 10 TD

[*]Adrian Peterson (2007) = 1341 rush yds, 268 rec yds, 13 TD (in 14 games w/9 starts)

[*]Ryan Grant (2007) = 956 rush yds, 145 rec yds, 8 TD (in like 9 games w/7 starts)

[*]Marshawn Lynch (2007) = 1115 rush yds, 184 rec yds, 7 TD (in 13 games)

[*]Fred Taylor (1998) = 1224 rush yds, 421 rec yds, 17 TD

[*]Ladanian Tomlinson (2001) = 1236 rush yds, 367 rec yds, 10 TD

With Douglas on the team DE is no longer a need. He is a top notch back-up to have.

Ellis was drafted in 2000, he has a few more years left in the tank, especially in the 34 system.

Jones does not have the worn & tornness (ha) of most running backs at his age, he just had a tremendous '08 season. Lets actually see him wear down before we talk of replacing him with a 1st or 2nd round draft pick especially when half of this board is asking why Leon Washington can't be an every down back.

I'm sure the Jets will pick up a bruising RB/FB type somewhere whether it be FA or on Day 2.

Good post Joe. I can see us going RB on Day 2. No immediate need IMO either.

I'm not sure I'd go THAT far Slats. :biggrin:

Archived