Jets have inquired about Boldin

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to keep in mind, and one reason I'm not so sure the Jets will end up with Boldin: As much as the Jets have been a lot more apt to bring in players through free agency and trades since Tannenbaum took over, they've never given up a whole lot in terms of draft picks. Just consider some of the trades they've made, every time the cost was low to intermediate with a chance for a return far greater than what they gave up:

Thomas Jones - Swapping of 2nd round picks - In return getting an every down back to fill a giant hole as teams starter.

Kris Jenkins - 3rd and 5th round pick - Had wore out his welcome in Carolina and had some weight issues, but gave 2 mid-round picks for a potential All-Pro NT, and got just that.

Brett Favre - Conditional 4th round pick - A HOF QB who they hoped could take them to the promised land. The Jets ONLY gave up something significant if they got something significant. Capped out as a 3rd rounde for regular season play. A second if the Jets made the playoffs and only a 1st if they made the Super Bowl. This is the most the Jets would've given up in any of their trades and it would require a SUPER BOWL visit.

Lito Sheppard - 5th rounder and a conditional pick next year, which caps out at a 2nd rounder. Another guy who wore out his welcome, compensation will only go so high for a potential Pro Bowl CB at a good financial deal.

Meanwhile, outside of the trade up for Revis who has already proven to be a phenomenal player, everything else the Jets have done with draft picks has revolved around trying to get more of them. I'd like to get Boldin and think he's a great player, but in reality, the Jets really need size and speed at the WR position, and thats just not the type of player Boldin is. Plus, it would likely involve the Jets giving up multiple premium picks in this years draft, the first draft of a new head coach and for a team that has a number of holes to fill.

I hate to say it, but based on all of this, I just find it very unlikely this thing comes to fruition.

Something to keep in mind, and one reason I'm not so sure the Jets will end up with Boldin: As much as the Jets have been a lot more apt to bring in players through free agency and trades since Tannenbaum took over, they've never given up a whole lot in terms of draft picks. Just consider some of the trades they've made, every time the cost was low to intermediate with a chance for a return far greater than what they gave up:

Thomas Jones - Swapping of 2nd round picks - In return getting an every down back to fill a giant hole as teams starter.

Kris Jenkins - 3rd and 5th round pick - Had wore out his welcome in Carolina and had some weight issues, but gave 2 mid-round picks for a potential All-Pro NT, and got just that.

Brett Favre - Conditional 4th round pick - A HOF QB who they hoped could take them to the promised land. The Jets ONLY gave up something significant if they got something significant. Capped out as a 3rd rounde for regular season play. A second if the Jets made the playoffs and only a 1st if they made the Super Bowl. This is the most the Jets would've given up in any of their trades and it would require a SUPER BOWL visit.

Lito Sheppard - 5th rounder and a conditional pick next year, which caps out at a 2nd rounder. Another guy who wore out his welcome, compensation will only go so high for a potential Pro Bowl CB at a good financial deal.

Meanwhile, outside of the trade up for Revis who has already proven to be a phenomenal player, everything else the Jets have done with draft picks has revolved around trying to get more of them. I'd like to get Boldin and think he's a great player, but in reality, the Jets really need size and speed at the WR position, and thats just not the type of player Boldin is. Plus, it would likely involve the Jets giving up multiple premium picks in this years draft, the first draft of a new head coach and for a team that has a number of holes to fill.

I hate to say it, but based on all of this, I just find it very unlikely this thing comes to fruition.

I'm of the firm belief that coach Tomlin was praying that Revis fell to pick 15 that year and would have definately been the pick. Didn't the Jets trade up to like 13 or 14 for him?

I'm of the firm belief that coach Tomlin was praying that Revis fell to pick 15 that year and would have definately been the pick. Didn't the Jets trade up to like 13 or 14 for him?

Indeed, pick #14. I don't doubt your theory for a moment. There were rumors pre-draft that the Steelers would take Revis if he was there at that spot and its no coincidence that the Jets ended up one single spot ahead of the Steelers to get him either. Even proves the point further, the Jets weren't willing to give up even the slightest bit more than was required of them, and so waited until the last possible chance to move in.

Oh that was a given. Pitt LOVED him. I think you guys were at 17 and we jumped up to 16 to get him. My buddy is a big Stillers fan and he lost his sh*t. I remember it being 16 cause it was the last spot where you could lock him up for 6 years.

* I stand corrected - just wiki-ed it and you were right on. Pick 14.

Indeed, pick #14. I don't doubt your theory for a moment. There were rumors pre-draft that the Steelers would take Revis if he was there at that spot and its no coincidence that the Jets ended up one single spot ahead of the Steelers to get him either. Even proves the point further, the Jets weren't willing to give up even the slightest bit more than was required of them, and so waited until the last possible chance to move in.

IIRC the week or so before that draft Tomlin was ooing and aweing when asked about Revis. So much so that Kevin Colbert kinda got on him about tipping his hand too early and such. They both laughed it off at a later PC. He even used the term "shutdown corner, period!"

That being said, Lawrence Timmons is not a bad second option tho. lol

I would rather draft Nicks at 17... He is a Boldin type receiver...

This is so stupid. Why not just give up a 3rd rounder and we'll have Boldin then.

It makes all the sense in the world to do this trade IF we're planning on draft a wideout with the 17th anyway.

Heard it on NFLN.

Don't know any details. Only that they've inquired.

At least we're keep an open mind and studying all options. I wish we would have brought Holt in for a look see but I'm sure they had their reasons why they passed on him.

I have no idea what you are trying to prove here. :confused:

The draft doesn't mean ****t. You could get a HOF'er at 70, a dud at 1, a mediocre guy at 35,a great special teams player at 2, a fan favorite at 60, a drug addict at 4.

I know, still don't get it.

The draft doesn't mean ****t. You could get a HOF'er at 70, a dud at 1, a mediocre guy at 35,a great special teams player at 2, a fan favorite at 60, a drug addict at 4.

Don't worry about him, if you know what I mean.

There is a much better chance of getting a solid NFL player early in the draft than late. If the draft doesn't mean ****, the NFL would soon run out of business. Where do you think all today's superstars came from? The draft. And most came from the first few rounds of the draft.

Your opinion of the draft is silly, and would guarantee the future ruin of any team.

There is a much better chance of getting a solid NFL player early in the draft than late. If the draft doesn't mean ****, the NFL would soon run out of business. Where do you think all today's superstars came from? The draft. And most came from the first few rounds of the draft.

Your opinion of the draft is silly, and would guarantee the future ruin of any team.

Come on WE, don't be ridiculous. Don't you remember all those Super Bowls the Redskins won over all of those years when they traded away all of their draft picks for mediocre players?

Damn kids these days.

Yes!

He's essentially a much better version of Cotchery.

Edwards is a different animal all together..

And exactly what is wrong with a "much better version" of Jerricho Cotchery?

People act like we need some kind of perfect compliment on the outside. We need another good receiver, period.

Boldin is well worth the price for a team starved for a #1 WR. I'm willing to pay the price to bring him in.

Edwards? Not a chance.

He's two years younger and has the better deep speed, but he's lead the league in drops the last two years and has been relatively average outside of his '07 campaign. Boldin on the other hand has some of the surest hands in the league, is one of the better route runners out there, and there may not be another player in the league that is as good at picking up YAC.

And exactly what is wrong with a "much better version" of Jerricho Cotchery?

People act like we need some kind of perfect compliment on the outside. We need another good receiver, period.

Boldin is well worth the price for a team starved for a #1 WR. I'm willing to pay the price to bring him in.

Edwards? Not a chance.

He's two years younger and has the better deep speed, but he's lead the league in drops the last two years and has been relatively average outside of his '07 campaign. Boldin on the other hand has some of the surest hands in the league, is one of the better route runners out there, and there may not be another player in the league that is as good at picking up YAC.

To be fair Boldin had a potential HOF multiple superbowl appearance QB... Edwards had... well... not much...

****ing brilliant!

You WILL NOT find a better player in this draft IMO. Boldin is a proven elite WR in the prime of his career. Would be a great pickup.

Hopefully we follow this up!

How much would you be willing to give up for him?

I agree that he's absolutely premiere, but I'm not sure I'd want my team giving up all those picks.

To be fair Boldin had a potential HOF multiple superbowl appearance QB... Edwards had... well... not much...

Are you referring to Jeff Blake, Josh McCown, Matt Leinart, or John Navarre? Because Boldin was a star receiver with those guys as well. Hell, he was a star receiver as a ROOKIE, without Larry Fitzgerald on the other side.

Boldin is a top WR. Edwards is a top talent.

Are you referring to Jeff Blake, Josh McCown, Matt Leinart, or John Navarre? Because Boldin was a star receiver with those guys as well. Hell, he was a star receiver as a ROOKIE, without Larry Fitzgerald on the other side.

Boldin is a top WR. Edwards is a top talent.

Sperm i like Edwards better

Boldin is too much like Coles, not a deep threat for that much coin

Sperm i like Edwards better

Boldin is too much like Coles, not a deep threat for that much coin

I don't think you like Edwards better. I think you like the idea of Edwards better.

I'm not saying Edwards is this awful WR & I'd rather have Brad Smith starting or whatever. But he was awful last year. Of all things for a WR to have issues with, catching the football is a biggie. And like Boldin, he wants to get paid like Larry Fitzgerald.

And Coles was never as good as Boldin. Never. They are not the same.

I don't think you like Edwards better. I think you like the idea of Edwards better.

I'm not saying Edwards is this awful WR & I'd rather have Brad Smith starting or whatever. But he was awful last year. Of all things for a WR to have issues with, catching the football is a biggie. And like Boldin, he wants to get paid like Larry Fitzgerald.

And Coles was never as good as Boldin. Never. They are not the same.

Edwards is a legit deep threat..Boldin is not..Edwards had a bad year.

it happens..the year before he was studly.

You have to figure into equation that Penny almost killed Coles with his

patented floaters, Coles was very fast at one time

Boldin is a better version of Coles IMO

Edwards is a legit deep threat..Boldin is not..Edwards had a bad year.

it happens..the year before he was studly.

You have to figure into equation that Penny almost killed Coles with his

patented floaters, Coles was very fast at one time

Boldin is a better version of Coles IMO

MUCH better than Coles.

Just because Boldin isn't a deep threat doesn't mean he's not an elite WR. Coles isn't in his class or anywhere near it.

Archived