Roberts book claims A-Rod took roids in HS and w/ Yankees, does any care?

Morrissey

Its easy to say all that when they don't pan out. Clemens won a championship for us, him being a POS aside.

And as for the Yankees ownership being an idiot brigade, well at least they spend the money. I'd rather them blow it on FA's then pocket it and hope and pray that the farm system works out.

Either way a happy medium has to be reached, and I think they are working towards it.

I don't want to get too much into this. You know I respect you, JB. I know they spend money, but for me at least, they often don't spend it wisely. If there is a plan, it's haphazard at best. It's always been about signing the biggest name out there without any thought as to how it will effect team chemistry. Personally, I wouldn't mind being a mediocre team if we were building and heading in the right direction as an organization. What they gave us was a team of highly priced all-stars who couldn't play together or hit or pitch when it counted. For the last few years, I have watched the Yankees and no longer connect with them on so many levels. And this is coming from a fan since the mid-60s. Clearly, there is something wrong in the approach and execution.

Yes. I'm sure everyone on this board armed with prime sources to make this book would turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it. Roberts gathered up a lot of sources over a long period of time and pulled threads from them bit by bit to make this book. It's pretty good reporting, at least. I'm not going to say it's good work because I don't know if the book is largely going to be gossip or it's going to be the facts from trusted sources.

Roberts' work on the Duke lacrosse team was pretty pathetic, but, to be fair, she was using information provided to her by the police department and justice department. She's not the bad guy in this situation.

I'm not saying she's a villan for it.

I'm saying the sports CULTURE, the people that follow, the people that make these people rich is to me what has changed a ton. I'm not saying anything is wrong here. Some people may want to paint me out to be naive or dumb, but I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm calling a spade a spade, it's a money grab.

Some will go and buy the book and eat this up. I will choose not to. I wouldn't buy a book like this about Curt Schilling who I despise. That was my WHOLE point.

I'm not saying she's a villan for it.

I'm saying the sports CULTURE, the people that follow, the people that make these people rich is to me what has changed a ton. I'm not saying anything is wrong here. Some people may want to paint me out to be naive or dumb, but I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm calling a spade a spade, it's a money grab.

Some will go and buy the book and eat this up. I will choose not to. I wouldn't buy a book like this about Curt Schilling who I despise. That was my WHOLE point.

It is not only sports, it is every walk of life.

I don't want to get too much into this. You know I respect you, JB. I know they spend money, but for me at least, they often don't spend it wisely. If there is a plan, it's haphazard at best. It's always been about signing the biggest name out there without any thought as to how it will effect team chemistry. Personally, I wouldn't mind being a mediocre team if we were building and heading in the right direction as an organization. What they gave us was a team of highly priced all-stars who couldn't play together or hit or pitch when it counted. For the last few years, I have watched the Yankees and no longer connect with them on so many levels. And this is coming from a fan since the mid-60s. Clearly, there is something wrong in the approach and execution.

I agree with a lot of what you say. And honestly, last year was the first year I didn't get to watch my favorite baseball team in October. The last time the Yankees missed the playoffs was what 94? I was 7 years old...

But how were they supposed to know that Pavano was gonna ride pine for 4 years? Or that Arod was gonna be the biggest piece of **** walking the earth? Okay, I'll give you the Arod mess, they shoulda known he wouldn't be a good fit next to Jeter.

Clemens won us a championship, and Giambi definitely had chemistry in th club house.

You think A-Rod sort of regrets coming to the media capital of the world by now?

Two things about Arod

1. Theres definitely something wrong with him. Something mental.

2. He could possibly be one of the dumbest human beings alive.

Two things about Arod

1. Theres definitely something wrong with him. Something mental.

2. He could possibly be one of the dumbest human beings alive.[/QUOTE]

LOL. +1 You ever watch him in an interview? He's one of those dolts that uses big words, but really doesn't know what they mean.

Roberts' work on the Duke lacrosse team was pretty pathetic, but, to be fair, she was using information provided to her by the police department and justice department. She's not the bad guy in this situation.

Drop dead, Novak.

The Yankees have done an awful job signing and trading for pitching since 2000. Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown, Javier Vasquez, Jeff Weaver, Steve Karsay, Kei Igawa, Jose Contreras, Jaret Wright, Kyle Farnsworth. That's just off the top of my head. There's probably ten more awful pitchers that Cashman has brought in here.

They finally seem to have a plan. Develop young pitching and blend it with proven and still young free agents, CC and Burnett. Hopefully this works out.

I agree with a lot of what you say. And honestly, last year was the first year I didn't get to watch my favorite baseball team in October. The last time the Yankees missed the playoffs was what 94? I was 7 years old...

PS - The only reason they didn't make the playoffs in '94 was because the strike wiped out the playoffs that year... the Yankees were 6.5 games up in the AL East after 113 games.

If they had the Wild Card, they also would've made the playoffs in '93 and in '85 and '86. I can't stand when people talk about the '80's being the "lean years" for the Yankees, when they won 90+ games 4 times out of 9 years (5/10 if you count the strike-shortened '81 season, when they played .551 ball and made it to the WS).

PS - The only reason they didn't make the playoffs in '94 was because the strike wiped out the playoffs that year... the Yankees were 6.5 games up in the AL East after 113 games.

If they had the Wild Card, they also would've made the playoffs in '93 and in '85 and '86. I can't stand when people talk about the '80's being the "lean years" for the Yankees, when they won 90+ games 4 times out of 9 years (5/10 if you count the strike-shortened '81 season, when they played .551 ball and made it to the WS).

They're the Yankees. They average a ring every four or so years over their history. When they go a decade without a ring, those are some lean years. Much like the times we're living in now. 1 Billion+ dollars and not a single ring to show for it since since 2000.

They're the Yankees. They average a ring every four or so years over their history. When they go a decade without a ring, those are some lean years. Much like the times we're living in now. 1 Billion+ dollars and not a single ring to show for it since since 2000.

Relative to their history, yes, the 80's wasn't their greatest decade... but I meant it more with respect to people relating it to other team's lack of success, or talking about how insufferable their childhood was as a Yankees fan in the 80's, because they didn't win anything.

Should reporters just ignore when there is wrong doing?

No, but we are now well past the point of anyone getting upset about it. Or it mattering much in the big picture.

As with Bonds and Clemens, they are cheaters, jerks and bad hsubands. But we do not need the federal government to turn either (or A-rod) into a federal case. That's a waste of taxpayer dollars on a grand scale. Want to cut the budget President Obama-start ending those dog&pony shows right now. And if any douche like John MCcain wants to hold vaunted Senate hearings about this nonsense shut it down cold.

Selena Roberts is an ugly jock-sniffing cow, last seen on HBO whining that Lebron James wouldn't give her an interview like the fate of the world depended on a talented jock spoke to this bull dyke SI sow. Now I don't follow the NBA, but why would ANY athlete talk to this woman after her sheetheel work on the DUke lax case?

Let me understand- A-rod(an admitted steroid user) may have(HER QUALIFIER) used steroids in high school(which places him in exactly the same demographic category as EVERY HS VARSITY ATHLETE IN AMERICA) ; tips badly; has a nasty nickname; is bad husband(even though the rela story here is why the eff did he get married at all).

For this people will pay $22.95? GTFOH.

And spare me the refrain of IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN. I'm raising my kids, not some athlete. IF anyone was holding any of these guys up as role models they're morons.

Selena Roberts is an ugly jock-sniffing cow, last seen on HBO whining that Lebron James wouldn't give her an interview like the fate of the world depended on a talented jock spoke to this bull dyke SI sow.

Attacking Roberts' appearance is one thing if your buddy is trying to set you up with her, but I don't see what it has to do with the topic at hand.

What would be the difference if Jon Heyman or Tom Verducci wrote this book instead of Roberts?

Actually, before this book was written, A-Rod was adamant that he WAS NOT a steroid user. It was this prose that forced admission.

It is not like he came out and offered this.

True, but a nonissue at this point. He used steroids, and probably more so than he's admitted. Next topic for this book?

He likes skanks!

He tips badly!

The Children, oh, The Children!

He MAY have used during high school-like every other football, baseball and track varsity guy in America. You may as well report breathlessly that he MAY HAVE sported a condom in his wallet in 11th grade. And he MAY have had an acne issue.

I concede-he seems like a self-centered jerk, he's made a mess of my favorite baseball team, he takes dumb advice.

We know in the same MLB test he failed, another 100+ guys also failed. And A-rod and all of them knew the test was coming and still didn't stay off the juice. Which means even more probably were using, since the brighter bulbs probably stopped cycling or bumped up to HGH or soemthing like it. There comes a point these breathless revelations are way beyond stale old news. Paying $22.95 to read more of them is pointless.

And again-any time Selena Roberts sticks her ample snout out of her rathole, she needs to get rapped therein with the absolute horseheet slander job she did on the Duke lax guys. She has never apologized, and she and the NY Times will likely get their asses sued off. I hope when this is over she is living in a fridge box. A-rod may be an example of what's wrong with sports, but Roberts epitomizes why the press in this country is really much much worse.

Mis-guided belief.

The Yankees won 20 titles (29 pennants) from 1921 through 1964. Baseball did not have free agency or the draft.

Coincidentally, the draft was implemented in 1965 and their domination ended. Free agency would soon follow. They maintain an economic advantage that allows them to win, but the leveling of the paying field has taken away much of what allowed them to be a dynasty.

Mis-guided belief.

The Yankees won 20 titles (29 pennants) from 1921 through 1964. Baseball did not have free agency or the draft.

Coincidentally, the draft was implemented in 1965 and their domination ended. Free agency would soon follow. They maintain an economic advantage that allows them to win, but the leveling of the paying field has taken away much of what allowed them to be a dynasty.

pretty sure the Rule V was in effect from 1892

True, but a nonissue at this point. He used steroids, and probably more so than he's admitted. Next topic for this book?

He likes skanks!

He tips badly!

He MAY have used during high school-like every other football, baseball and track varsity guy in America. You may as well report breathlessly that he MAY HAVE sported a condom in his wallet in 11th grade. And he MAY have had an acne issue.

I concede-he seems like a self-centered jerk, he's made a mess of my favorite baseball team, he takes dumb advice.

We know in the same MLB test he failed, another 100+ guys also failed. And A-rod and all of them knew the test was coming and still didn't stay off the juice. Which means even more probably were using, since the brighter bulbs probably stopped cycling or bumped up to HGH or soemthing like it. There comes a point these breathless revelations are way beyond stale old news. Paying $22.95 to read more of them is pointless.

And again-any time Selena Roberts sticks her ample snout out of her rathole, she needs to get rapped therein with the absolute horseheet slander job she did on the Duke lax guys. She has never apologized, and she and the NY Times will likely get their asses sued off. I hope when this is over she is living in a fridge box. A-rod may be an example of what's wrong with sports, but Roberts epitomizes why the press in this country is really much much worse.

Agreed also, that there is nothing this country likes more than to see someone knocked off from a high perch.

Is all of this "newsworthy"? Certainly not.

But you have to fill in the gaps somewhere or you don't have a book. Does that make it right? No.

I won't buy the book, and I have gleaned all that I need out of it.

Understandable. I wanna read it for myself to see if its the real deal with proof or vague speculation.

It appears it's all from unnamed sources. It's probably all true, but it probably won't have much steam to make it through the weekend. Everyone is sick and tired of steroid talk.

He likes skanks!

He tips badly!

You forgot to mention that he may have tipped off pitches to opposing hitters, which to me is probably worse than the steroid stuff. But yeah, I agree with you. Selena Roberts' ugly self made A-Rod the person he is today.

Archived