Drive-in Movies

Bob

I used to go to Cape Cod in MA with the fam, when I was younger, and we always stayed in the town of Wellfleet. There was this huge drive-in not so far from our house where we stayed, and that is one of my most vivid memories of old summer vacations. Going to drive-ins on summer nights. It's a shame that there aren't that many anymore.

Back in 92 (leap year day) the last drive in in the Houston area was open for the last time. My girlfriend at the time and I went we say Bugsy with Warren Beatty and don't remember the second since I proposed marriage between flicks. She did say yes.

THey opened a new one about 2 years ago and we go once in awhile. very cheap and a fun night out.

There's one in Hyde Park right across the street from the FDR Home. It gets very busy there sometimes. I've seen cars lined up for a mile waiting to get in.

...and every year they have their last year of the drive-in event.

We had one in Flanders/Riverhead (remember that Thor?) It's a storage center now. Saw a triple feature there of Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Frogs! and Food of the Gods. Even better was Greenport - double feature of the Last American Hero and Vanishing Point. Don't think either one has been there for 20 years.

Went to one in Warwick, NY last weekend. I barely remember going to one as a child, my wife had never been to one. With a flock of kids, a nice outing. Also saw "Night at the Museum 2", but didn't stick around for the 2nd feature for fear the children would go into diabetic shock from all the junk food. Might have been a little different if we left the tyke(and a cast numerous other kids in our group) at home, but still a good time. It's more a tailgate party because they use an FM frequency to broadcast the audio rather than the speakers I vaguely recall, so everyone has coolers, chairs and snacks hanging out in front of their cars with the windows open. If you bring cans of beer, bring cups because they have a strict no booze policy and if they see a can of brew in your hand they will ask you to leave.

Sadly 2 closed the last 2 years (one of them had 3 screens). There's only one left near us in Lockport , about 25 minutes away.

Thats the one my wife used to go to when she was a little girl. I have been by there many times

...and every year they have their last year of the drive-in event.

We had one in Flanders/Riverhead (remember that Thor?) It's a storage center now. Saw a triple feature there of Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Frogs! and Food of the Gods. Even better was Greenport - double feature of the Last American Hero and Vanishing Point. Don't think either one has been there for 20 years.

I do remember that. I saw Deliverance, which now that I think about it, may have started my journey to JN modship.

Last movie I remember seeing at the drive-in was Empire Strikes Back, laying on the hood of my parent's **** brown, paneled station wagon.

Nice!! The first movie I remember seeing was Superman 2 and that was at a drive in. I maybe have seen one of the Star Wars there too. I remember I was devestated when they tore the one down in my home town. At least we have one nearby where I can go now.

Who was in the trunk, you or your wife?

No trunk on the SUV. I sure remember piling guys in there when I was in college, though. My buddy had a Ford Galaxie 500 and I think we had 10 guys in the damned thing.

When I was a wee lad my parents brought us to one that had like four different screens. One of the screens had titty movies. My brother and I both suffer from chronic neck pain from trying to squeeze our heads against the door jam of the station wagon trying to see some titty's on the screens behind us and to the left. Was it worth it? YES

There's one in East Dearborn, on the border with Detroit. Here's a shot of their concession stand offering.

0204091212_M_20409_mexicoweapons6.jpg

I love that theatre. Here's a pic of Me my brother and my sons watching Monster Inc. Of course with just the right amount of suppression fire.

dadswarriors-1.jpg?t=1243947560

Archived