Anyone else hate their father?

PS17

Try being raised by an old school Italian Grandmother. A sign that all hell is about to break loose is the hand bite gesture- you see that...... RUN.

LOL. I can relate. In my house, it was my Mom getting the wooden spoon out of the drawer. I don't remember a day my brother and I didn't get hit for one reason or another. Periodically, I'd throw that f**king spoon over a neighbor's fence.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try being raised by an old school Italian Grandmother. A sign that all hell is about to break loose is the hand bite gesture- you see that...... RUN.

He grew up on the boot so I am sure that he (like me) is very familiar with that expression and how to appropriately react. :confused0085::)

LOL. I can relate. In my house, it was my Mom getting the wooden spoon out of the drawer. I don't remember a day my brother and I didn't get hit for one reason or another. Periodically, I'd throw that f**king spoon over a neighbor's fence.

I used to hide those things but apparantly mine had a never ending supply of them.

Mine, too.

One day when we were making homemade pasta I saw my aunt reach for a bunch of those wheat sticks (forget the name of them) that we used to use for rolling the macaroni and chase my cousin around with them. It was so fricken funny when he realized that she didn't actually have the spoon so he stopped to let her hit him. The joke was over rather quickly when he realized that nonna was standing right next to his mother with the spoon...

One day when we were making homemade pasta I saw my aunt reach for a bunch of those wheat sticks (forget the name of them) that we used to use for rolling the macaroni and chase my cousin around with them. It was so fricken funny when he realized that she didn't actually have the spoon so he stopped to let her hit him. The joke was over rather quickly when he realized that nonna was standing right next to his mother with the spoon...

That's classic. LOL. People in non-off-the-boat Italian families, especially from the 50s, 60s and 70s, have no idea how insane these people were/are. BTW, a rolling pin is called a matterello, but my Mom used our dialect canela (?).

That's classic. LOL. People in non-off-the-boat Italian families, especially from the 50s, 60s and 70s, have no idea how insane these people were/are. BTW, a rolling pin is called a matterello, but my Mom used our dialect canela (?).

The ones that I am talking about are kind of like straw that you roll the pasta around to put the little hole in the macaroni.

The ones that I am talking about are kind of like straw that you roll the pasta around to put the little hole in the macaroni.

It's a dowel of some kind, but I couldn't find it in a quick search. My Mom made tagliatelle, linguine, and parpadelle by hand, which are not hollow. Good for me, my Mom did not have the "weapon" you're talking about in her arsenal.

It's a dowel of some kind, but I couldn't find it in a quick search. My Mom made tagliatelle, linguine, and parpadelle by hand, which are not hollow. Good for me, my Mom did not have the "weapon" you're talking about in her arsenal.

Ah, but the funny thing is they are like straw and not really an intimidating weapon. It was just the closest thing to grab. Grandma had the backup spoon ready though. :D

Ps17 I have documented earlier with posts about the abuse (physical and mental0 I recieved from my old man. In the end I forgave him long before he passed away. Hopefully you will too. Keep in mind I had crap everyday of my childhood and got over it.

Did I hate him? Damn right I did.

edit- when I was younger I hated him with a passion - But I miss him dearly now

If there is one thing I learned from him is how not to be a parent. I learned to never ever put my child through the things I did. and I hve lived the promise I made to myself to never abuse or hurt my child.

right now your getting older and growing your horns. Its 2 bucks fighting for dominance. Right now its gonna be tough but soon enough everything will get better.

Leave it to you Joe to come up with the lone hunting reference :rl:

Ps17 I have documented earlier with posts about the abuse (physical and mental0 I recieved from my old man. In the end I forgave him long before he passed away. Hopefully you will too. Keep in mind I had crap everyday of my childhood and got over it.

Did I hate him? Damn right I did.

edit- when I was younger I hated him with a passion - But I miss him dearly now

If there is one thing I learned from him is how not to be a parent. I learned to never ever put my child through the things I did. and I hve lived the promise I made to myself to never abuse or hurt my child.

Yes, I think more than anything right now, I am learning how to "not be a parent". I keep telling myself, I am gonna be completely different when I have a son.

I'm not sure if that was an important life lesson or a hint that you need to lose some weight.

He would say it like 7 or 8 times. I would be like Dad I get the point. And he would say no do another mile, try this pair.

Maybe it did have another meaning. :-P

My father was in a car accident today. He's fine, walked away without a scratch... Was in the middle lane on Rt. 80, and someone from the right lane came left right at him without looking. He jerked the car left and never was able to regain control of it at ~65 mph. He hit the grass, and spun into a concrete divider.

He was in his Mercedes, which is essentially a tank, and said he'd taken worse hits in bumper cars. Very scary though.

Just something to think about.

My father was in a car accident today. He's fine, walked away without a scratch... Was in the middle lane on Rt. 80, and someone from the right lane came left right at him without looking. He jerked the car left and never was able to regain control of it at ~65 mph. He hit the grass, and spun into a concrete divider.

He was in his Mercedes, which is essentially a tank, and said he'd taken worse hits in bumper cars. Very scary though.

Glad your Dad is okay, EY.

hopefully all is well bro. accidents can be scary, however, it doesn't stop me from driving like an idiot.

Glad your Dad is okay, EY.

hopefully all is well bro. accidents can be scary, however, it doesn't stop me from driving like an idiot.

Thanks.

One of the headlights was destroyed and it's leaking some oil. Considering the circumstances, it's nothing.

Thanks.

One of the headlights was destroyed and it's leaking some oil. Considering the circumstances, it's nothing.

my dad drinks a lot and eats unhealthy and has blood pressure, not to mention we have heart diseases in our family yet he never stops, the dude is a warmachine, bieng a Navy seal and all. i hardly worry about him but my mom is always worried.

Archived