Papelbon willing to go to Yankees when contract up??

Blackout

i heard the radio guys up here clamoring on about Papelbon saying that if the Sox don't extend him and let him be a free agent he'd go to the Yankees

didn't see any threads on this...why the **** don't the REd Sawx want to extend his contract? :confused:

He doesn't want to sign a long term contract. He's with the Sox until 2011 then he wants his big pay day. He'll sign a long term contract somewhere. I hope he stays on with the Sox, but if he doesn't they have options.

They do?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/06/papelbon_strong.html

Papelbon: I don't want to play for Yankees

Jonathan Papelbon grouped reporters together to strongly strike down a report that he would be willing to sign with the New York Yankees.

"I don't want to go (expletive) play for the Yankees," he said. "I've been on a team for the past five years that's been in first place more than any other (expletive) team otherwise. Why would I want to leave?"

Papelbon said he was "nowhere even close" to suggesting he would sign with the Yankees.

"Sometimes in these quotes they only see what they want to see," he said.

"[The Red Sox] don't owe me nothing," he said. "This team doesn't need me. I need the Red Sox more than the Red Sox need me."

He said that where he signs when his contract expires in 2011 only has to do with how happy he is.

"For me, I want to go to a place where I'm happy," he said. "For me, the only thing that's important is that, A, it's like a family and B, I have manager and a GM that's going to protect me, and I know that here."

In an interview on Sirius XM radio yesterday, Papelbon said that "not only the Bronx, but everywhere is a possibility" for him to play when his contract expires.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090619&content_id=5415424&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

BOSTON -- A day after Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon merely stated in a radio interview that he would keep all options open when he is first eligible for free agency following the 2011 season, the right-hander clarified his comments on Friday.

Just because Papelbon would not rule out pitching some day for the (gulp) Yankees, he emphasized that his strong desire is to remain in Boston and that donning pinstripes isn't any kind of recurring fantasy.

"I said I would go to any team I felt was best for my situation, whether it's the Yankees or whoever," said Papelbon. "But the thing that you have to understand is that's three years away. OK?"

Papelbon made it clear he doesn't mind going year-to-year on contract renewals with the Red Sox.

"I'm in a situation here where I'm playing for the best general manager [Theo Epstein] and manager [Terry Francona] in the game of baseball," Papelbon said. "And I've got a World Series ring here. Do I want go play anywhere else? Hell no. What's going to happen down the road? What's going to happen next year or whenever? The whole thing is, I don't want to play anywhere unless I'm happy, and I'm happy playing here."

Johnny Damon, a beloved figure during his four years in Boston, is now vilified in Red Sox Nation. Perhaps the biggest reason for that is that he once vowed in an interview that he would never play for the Yankees. Once Damon became a free agent, he did just that.

As far as Papelbon is concerned, he is candid about not knowing what the future might hold.

"This is where I want to play," said Papelbon. "But I also understand there's a business side of things. Sometimes that doesn't work out. Sometimes you can't play in a city for 10, 15 years. I may not be as lucky as [Tim Wakefield]. I may not be able to be in that situation. It kind of [upsets] me today, because it made it seem like I want to go play for [the Yankees], which is nowhere even close. Nowhere even in the ballpark of what I want to do."

Papelbon was clearly concerned about how his comments with Sirius/XM satellite radio would be construed -- not just by fans, but by his bosses.

"I just think that when people hear something -- what I said or people read something that I said -- sometimes they can only see certain things, and I want to make that clear that I don't want to go play for the Yankees," Papelbon said. "Believe me, I've got a ring here, and I'm playing for a manager and a general manager that's going to protect me, and I'm playing for the best team in baseball. I've been on a team the past three years that's been in first place more than any other team out there, so why would I want to go anywhere else? Right? You see what I'm getting at."

Interestingly, Papelbon doesn't feel a pressing need for his agents to discuss a long-term deal with the Red Sox this winter. Last offseason, Papelbon and the Sox avoided arbitration, agreeing to a one-year, $6.25 million deal.

"It doesn't matter, because, like I said, I'll sign eight one-year deals in a row," said Papelbon. "It's not about the money, man. It's not about going and playing for money, because if it was, guess what, I wouldn't be closing right now. I'd be starting. You know, I know I said what I said and I'm not going to deny that, but I think at times, fans may [say] that or fans might [say], 'I don't want to play here,' but that's not even [the case]. Or my general manager or manager might think that I'm not happy here and that's nowhere even close."

Since breaking in with the Red Sox during the stretch run of 2005, Papelbon has had nothing but success. He would like to continue that run as long as possible.

"Do I want to be with the Red Sox for as long as I can? Of course," said Papelbon. "There's no question about it, because I know my family is happy, and I'm playing for a manager and a general manager that I know is going to protect me, and for me, that's all that matters."

You know what's nice? Having pitching depth. If Smoltz doesn't work out, Clay Bucholz is ready to step in. Someone gets hurt, Justin Masterson can start.

What's going to happen when AJ goes on his yearly trip to the DL?

CLAY BUCHOLZ IS THE ACE UP YOUR SLEEVE?

please spare me...guy's a headcase and you know it (if you don't then you don't follow your team)

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/06/papelbon_strong.html

Jonathan Papelbon grouped reporters together to strongly strike down a report that he would be willing to sign with the New York Yankees.

"I don't want to go (expletive) play for the Yankees," he said. "I've been on a team for the past five years that's been in first place more than any other (expletive) team otherwise. Why would I want to leave?"

Papelbon said he was "nowhere even close" to suggesting he would sign with the Yankees.

"[The Red Sox] don't owe me nothing," he said. "This team doesn't need me. I need the Red Sox more than the Red Sox need me."

He said that where he signs when his contract expires in 2011 only has to do with how happy he is.

"For me, I want to go to a place where I'm happy," he said. "For me, the only thing that's important is that, A, it's like a family and B, I have manager and a GM that's going to protect me, and I know that here."

In an interview on Sirius XM radio yesterday, Papelbon said that "not only the Bronx, but everywhere is a possibility" for him to play when his contract expires.

The Sox won ONE division title in that time frame- how have they been in 1st more than any other team?

I think the Sox may move Penny and/or Saito soon. Both have garnered a lot of interest if you believe what you read and see on television.

I'd like to somehow turn Brad Penny into JJ Hardy. I'd also like to hold on to Saito, he's perfect for the 8th inning and can spell Papelbon when the need arises.

I'd like to somehow turn Brad Penny into JJ Hardy. I'd also like to hold on to Saito, he's perfect for the 8th inning and can spell Papelbon when the need arises.

WOW and they call Yankee fans delusional.

As for your so called "rotation depth", relying on Smoltz or Buccholz to fill in effectively is wishy-washy. A 41 year old coming off of shoulder surgery and a AAA pitcher whose line is eerily similar to an Ian Kennedy.

I suppose you think you can get Nick Johnson for Manny DelCarmen too. :yawn:

Looks like the kool-aids been smeared over your whole face.

WOW and they call Yankee fans delusional.

As for your so called "rotation depth", relying on Smoltz or Buccholz to fill in effectively is wishy-washy. A 41 year old coming off of shoulder surgery and a AAA pitcher whose line is eerily similar to an Ian Kennedy.

I suppose you think you can get Nick Johnson for Manny DelCarmen too. :yawn:

Looks like the kool-aids been smeared over your whole face.

When I wrote "somehow" turn him into JJ Hardy, obviously I knew that it would take more than just Brad Penny. I'm not completely delusional.

Unlike Ian Kennedy, Bucholz actually has had success at the major league level.

When I wrote "somehow" turn him into JJ Hardy, obviously I knew that it would take more than just Brad Penny. I'm not completely delusional.

Unlike Ian Kennedy, Bucholz actually has had success at the major league level.

Yes, yes I see.

Buchholz:

2007 22.2IP 1.59ERA 10BB 22Ks

2008 76IP 6.75ERA 41BB 72Ks

Kennedy:

2007 19.0IP 1.89ERA 9BB 15Ks

2008 39.2IP 8.65ERA 26BB 27Ks

Buchholz hasn't proven ****. You mean to tell me a sample size of 22 innings in 2007 proves something over Kennedy's SS of 19? Please.

Yes, yes I see.

Buchholz:

2007 22.2IP 1.59ERA 10BB 22Ks

2008 76IP 6.75ERA 41BB 72Ks

Kennedy:

2007 19.0IP 1.89ERA 9BB 15Ks

2008 39.2IP 8.65ERA 26BB 27Ks

Buchholz hasn't proven ****. You mean to tell me a sample size of 22 innings in 2007 proves something over Kennedy's SS of 19? Please.

I would consider a no-hitter somewhat successful, wouldn't you?

Even though he has been lights out in Pawtucket, I will be the first to admit that that doesn't always translate to the majors. For example, see Phil "Ace" Hughes career.

I would consider a no-hitter somewhat successful, wouldn't you?

Even though he has been lights out in Pawtucket, I will be the first to admit that that doesn't always translate to the majors. For example, see Phil "Ace" Hughes career.

Not if it's followed up by hideous numbers the following year. All I'm looking at is IP, and so far Buchholz hasn't proved he can be a good pitcher in the majors, thus refuting the point that Boston has AMAZING PITCHING DEPTH in the minors.

Also, I agree with the assesment with Hughes, but I'm not the one regurgitating ESPN and Peter Gammon's talking points about the Sox. I would never claim something as retarded as a 41 year old pitcher whose putting up a 3.31 era in AAA and an unproven pitcher, who so far comps to Ian Kennedy, as proof of Boston's DEEPEST PITCHING ROTATION EVERTM

Not if it's followed up by hideous numbers the following year. All I'm looking at is IP, and so far Buchholz hasn't proved he can be a good pitcher in the majors, thus refuting the point that Boston has AMAZING PITCHING DEPTH in the minors.

Also, I agree with the assesment with Hughes, but I'm not the one regurgitating ESPN and Peter Gammon's talking points about the Sox. I would never claim something as retarded as a 41 year old pitcher whose putting up a 3.31 era in AAA and an unproven pitcher, who so far comps to Ian Kennedy, as proof of Boston's DEEPEST PITCHING ROTATION EVERTM

Fair enough.

Beckett

Lester

Matsuzaka

Wakefield

Penny

Smoltz

Bucholz

Masterson

All of whom can start. I'll take it. We'll see how good Smoltz is, if he's not, we'll see how good Bucholz is.

At least the Sox have fallback options. The Yanks have none.

Fair enough.

Beckett

Lester

Matsuzaka

Wakefield

Penny

Smoltz

Bucholz

Masterson

All of whom can start. I'll take it. We'll see how good Smoltz is, if he's not, we'll see how good Bucholz is.

At least the Sox have fallback options. The Yanks have none.

CC

AJ

Wang

Pettitte

Joba

Hughes

Aceves

Kennedy (if he wasn't hurt)

Please stop. Really.

CC

AJ

Wang

Pettitte

Joba

Hughes

Aceves

Kennedy (if he wasn't hurt)

Please stop. Really.

Okay. As a Yankee fan, you're happy with your situation. As a Sox fan, I'm happy with our situation. Although listing someone who just had surgery for an aneurysm is pretty funny.

I feel that the Sox situation is light years ahead of the Yanks, and you feel differently. I'm okay with that.

The Sox won ONE division title in that time frame- how have they been in 1st more than any other team?

World Series titles. :rolleyes:

I think you play to win titles. Right Yankee fan? Or are you coll with the last 8 years of post season failure?

Same here.

Unless the Sox received a ridiculous offer then keep him.

Refreahing interview. But like he said, it's years away.

Archived