I think we get Berry

talisaynon

On the one hand, I think if this team adds a big-time safety the defense instantly takes two leaps forward, but on the other hand I would really not like trading up into the top-three to get Berry. Maybe Doug Plank and Mike Pettine fall in love with Mays and they can get him at the end of the first.

Call it a good hunch.

Will probably cost us our 1st, Kerry and a 2nd.

Given Tanny's history this won't be out of the realm of possibility.

As good as Berry is, giving up all that is only worth either, the next LT like edge rusher or Deion Sanders like cover corner imo.

Although it would be tough to hypothetically pass up. I would consider Berry about as automatic a star as it gets. He's by far my favorite player in this draft. However an edge rusher, imo, should be their #1 priority.

• 1 month later...

If we were to go the high draft pick route there's a better chance we trade up for Earl Thomas somewhere in the teens. I really can't see us going up high enough to get Berry. That would be ridiculously expensive from the late 20s unless Mangini wants to help us out again.

I could see them liking Thomas since he's a ball hawk and great in coverage. As a side note I don't see the Taylor Mays angle at all cause if they were upset with Rhodes partially for not being a playmaker how can they justify Mays? He's a big hitter which I guess they like, but that's about it.

People copmpare this guy to Ed Reed already. Hate to say it, but he's not that good.

Not as good as Ed Reed? Obviously not, but the kid is a phenomenal player.

Great ball instincts, GREAT open field tackler...pretty much a lock to be a very good player in the league.

If we were to go the high draft pick route there's a better chance we trade up for Earl Thomas somewhere in the teens. I really can't see us going up high enough to get Berry. That would be ridiculously expensive from the late 20s unless Mangini wants to help us out again.

I could see them liking Thomas since he's a ball hawk and great in coverage. As a side note I don't see the Taylor Mays angle at all cause if they were upset with Rhodes partially for not being a playmaker how can they justify Mays? He's a big hitter which I guess they like, but that's about it.

Mayock has Thomas rated ahead of Berry.

Mayock has Thomas rated ahead of Berry.

I get the feeling that its because he prefers ball hawking coverage safeties otherwise I don't see it cause every report seems to point to Berry being the better all around player. Either way I don't see him going ahead of Berry but I guess it's possible. That would be better for us if we were trading up anyway.

I agree.

If they are going to move up it

There are three possible scenarios the way I see it.

A. We could stand pat and use our first three picks to address some of our numerous needs: 1. Golden Tate 2. Nate Allen 4. BAP

We will use our newly acquired fourth round pick to trade up in either the first or the second round. I think it is obvious that safety and wide receiver will be our priorities.

B. We trade up in round one: 1. Earl Thomas 2. Damien Williams/Brandon LaFell...

C. We trade up in round two: 1. Golden Tate 2. Nate Allen

Nate Allen is a ball hawk, and could be the answer at safety. A receiver is a must. With Edwards future in question, the Jets cannot afford to be left with only Cotchery again. We need to put Sanchez in place to succeed. I think the third option is the most likely. We may not have to trade up for Allen but with it being such an important piece of the puzzle now we may have to in order to ensure he isn't off the board by the end of the second round. With so many important contracts coming up: Revis, Mangold, Harris, Washington, Ellis, and perhaps Cromartie. It is important that we keep salaries down if we are to build from here. Tanny has done a lot to keep the cap down, and as of now have a 110 million roster. My guess is the 2011 cap if there is a 2011 will be something in the vicinity of 133-135. Keeping the players we have now may cost us more than 20 million in cap so while some want to believe we'll trade into the top 10 for Berry, there just isn't any way we can pay another guy over 5 million. Besides, we can't possibly trade our first, second and fourth rounders for a single player. I hope we frontload these contracts so we have room to make moves next year.

There are three possible scenarios the way I see it.

A. We could stand pat and use our first three picks to address some of our numerous needs: 1. Golden Tate 2. Nate Allen 4. BAP

We will use our newly acquired fourth round pick to trade up in either the first or the second round. I think it is obvious that safety and wide receiver will be our priorities.

B. We trade up in round one: 1. Earl Thomas 2. Damien Williams/Brandon LaFell...

C. We trade up in round two: 1. Golden Tate 2. Nate Allen

Nate Allen is a ball hawk, and could be the answer at safety. A receiver is a must. With Edwards future in question, the Jets cannot afford to be left with only Cotchery again. We need to put Sanchez in place to succeed. I think the third option is the most likely. We may not have to trade up for Allen but with it being such an important piece of the puzzle now we may have to in order to ensure he isn't off the board by the end of the second round. With so many important contracts coming up: Revis, Mangold, Harris, Washington, Ellis, and perhaps Cromartie. It is important that we keep salaries down if we are to build from here. Tanny has done a lot to keep the cap down, and as of now have a 110 million roster. My guess is the 2011 cap if there is a 2011 will be something in the vicinity of 133-135. Keeping the players we have now may cost us more than 20 million in cap so while some want to believe we'll trade into the top 10 for Berry, there just isn't any way we can pay another guy over 5 million. Besides, we can't possibly trade our first, second and fourth rounders for a single player. I hope we frontload these contracts so we have room to make moves next year.

We are gonna have to get up in front of the Phins and Eagles if we want to go get Allen in the 2nd round I am hoping for a crazy scenario where a team like the Chiefs love someone late in the 1st round and trade back in with us for there 2 2nd round picks and we throw them back our 4th so that would give us the 36th, 50th, and 61st picks to address S, WR, CB, and OLB needs in the 2nd round. Looking at players like Nate Allen, Reshard Jones, and Chad Jones at safety. Brandon Lafell, Golden Tate, Damian Williams, and Dexter McCluster (if we lose Leon we would not miss much if we draft McCluster)at WR. Devin McCourty, Kareem Jackson, Chris Cook, Dominique Franks, Amari Spievey, perrish Cox, Patrick Robinson, and Brandon Ghee at CB. And Carlos Dunlap, Jerry Hughes, Ricky Sapp, Corey Wooten, and Koa Misi at DE/OLB.

Now I don't know about you but I would love to have 3 of those guys when this draft is over.

• 2 weeks later...

berry is an outstanding prospect in this draft BUT why in the hell would we get a SAFETY when we dont have a legit pass rusher???!! you guys are forgetting that a pass rushing linebacker is the second most important key on a 3-4 defense after the nose tackle.

my three possible scenarios for the jets to do in the draft

1. trade up and get brandon graham.- we wont be spending top money for him and he definitely looks lik the next lamarr woodley.

2. stay at #29 and get bpa. my favorite being golden tate. yes hes a slot receiever. but hes a game changer and a play maker.

3. trade down and aquire more picks.

Archived