Mauer: 8 years - 184 miiiillllllliiiooonnnn dollars

PFSIKH

Great move by the twins. Mauer isn't just a catcher though, he's the face of that franchise and rightfully so. It's about time their cheap ass owner opened his wallet to keep some home grown talent in at twins uniform. Minnesota is a damn good baseball city and continue to support that team despite a FO that is almost never willing to do what it takes to win.

Great move by the twins. Mauer isn't just a catcher though, he's the face of that franchise and rightfully so. It's about time their cheap ass owner opened his wallet to keep some home grown talent in at twins uniform. Minnesota is a damn good baseball city and continue to support that team despite a FO that is almost never willing to do what it takes to win.

Good to see ya out of Iraq.

I wonder if the Twins owners are expecting a windfall from there new stadium? 20 million per year for a team that spent 67 million on salary. Granted, it will probably be a few years before he earns that as I imagine it is loaded in the back end of the contract.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on him being the face of the franchise.

Colin Cowherd made that point about being the face of the franchise a few weeks back. The Sox and Yanks could use him, but he is not going to put too many (if any) more people in the seats in Boston/New York. He will in Minnesota.

I wonder if the Twins owners are expecting a windfall from there new stadium? 20 million per year for a team that spent 67 million on salary. Granted, it will probably be a few years before he earns that as I imagine it is loaded in the back end of the contract.

Colin Cowherd made that point about being the face of the franchise a few weeks back. The Sox and Yanks could use him, but he is not going to put too many (if any) more people in the seats in Boston/New York. He will in Minnesota.

Nice to be out of Iraq...now I'm down to 8 more months in Korea before I head back to England for 3 years :cheers:

You're right about the contract in terms of percentage of the team payroll that Mauer will take up. His deal alone will be about a 25% increase in team payroll. It's a huge jump so Twins fans should probably expect a nice little increase in ticket/concession prices.

Nice to be out of Iraq...now I'm down to 8 more months in Korea before I head back to England for 3 years :cheers:

You're right about the contract in terms of percentage of the team payroll that Mauer will take up. His deal alone will be about a 25% increase in team payroll. It's a huge jump so Twins fans should probably expect a nice little increase in ticket/concession prices.

Hell yeah.

Their FO cannot afford to miss many picks. They need to keep their farm system producing as they have little room for error.

I don't know what your Sux have in their farm system as far as catcher prospects, but the 27 WS Champs (had to throw that in) have two above average prospects in Romine and Montero. Mauer would have been more of a luxury than a necessity for the Yanks.

I'm not a baseball fan at all, but isn't this too much money for a catcher?

Not for the best hitting catcher in the game. He would have gotten the same on the open market if not more from a team like the Sox or Yanks. Catchers, and good ones for that matter, are a rare commodity.

I don't know what your Sux have in their farm system as far as catcher prospects, but the 27 WS Champs (had to throw that in) have two above average prospects in Romine and Montero. Mauer would have been more of a luxury than a necessity for the Yanks.

Since when has that ever stopped one of the big market clubs?

They had an All-Star in Jeter, yet traded for A-Rod.

There are questions whether Montero's best position will ultimately be catcher.

"Over the top" keeps getting re-defined. The Yanks are not alone in that class.

The Yankees had the ability to see that ARod was out of position at SS. So they were the only team in MLB that saw him as a third baseman. Brilliant move Cashman.

Said a couple of times already, good for baseball.

Actually glad he's not a Yankee. I mean yeah would of loved it, but that would have been the last straw.

Basically. It just goes to show that some of this mid-market teams don't have to constantly let talent go. They just need to make the right choice as to who they sink their teeth into. Minnesota chose Mauer and I personally think it's a good investment, I'd just be concerned with the health of a catcher in general. The kid can play though, and I think it was a no brainer to keep him in a Twins uniform.

With a new ballpark opening up in a couple of weeks the Twins absolutely HAD to keep him, and good for Joe, too. He grew up a Twins fan and now after proving his worth with a small salary he will be paid $23 million a year the next 8 years to play for his favorite team for the remainder of his career, as at least a starter.

Good for both parties involved.

Agreed.

The Padres should try to keep Adrian Gonzalez also. Same story of a hometown kid that a franchise needs.

Screw that. Sox need a bat.

The Yankees had the ability to see that ARod was out of position at SS. So they were the only team in MLB that saw him as a third baseman. Brilliant move Cashman.

:rl:

More like Cashman caved to the inferior SS you have.

Maybe, but Mauer is prooven.

The 2nd highest payroll in the league and they need a bat?

Maybe the Red Sox need to spend their money more wisely.

Why do some Yankee fans advise other teams fans that their team should "spend money more wisely"?

The Yankees have made many, many signings that were a disaster and a waste on money.

Just like the other big market teams, they have the ability to shake them off like a bug hitting a windshield.

The smaller market clubs do not have that luxury.

The 2nd highest payroll in the league and they need a bat?

Maybe the Red Sox need to spend their money more wisely.

Hey cupcake, at least try to get your facts straight.

Last season.

1. NY Yankees 208,097,414

2. NY Mets 145,367,987

3. Chicago Cubs 134,058,500

4. Boston 122,435,399

5. Detroit 119,160,145

6. LA Angels 118,964,000

Hey cupcake, at least try to get your facts straight.

Last season.

1. NY Yankees 208,097,414

2. NY Mets 145,367,987

3. Chicago Cubs 134,058,500

4. Boston 122,435,399

5. Detroit 119,160,145

6. LA Angels 118,964,000

Try to read better next time.

I committed no factual errors. You have backed me up.

Red Sox: 2nd highest payroll in the league. Obviously, I was referring to the American League. You see, the Yankees and Red Sox, along with 12 other teams, play in a league called the American League. There is another major league. Called the National League, it consists of 16 teams. The top two NL clubs in payroll are the Mets and Cubs.

Hey dimwit, read a post right next time.

I committed no factual errors. You have backed me up.

Red Sox: 2nd highest payroll in the league. Obviously, I was referring to the American League. You see, the Yankees and Red Sox, along with 12 other teams, play in a league called the American League. There is another major league. That one consists of 16 teams. The top two NL clubs in payroll are the Mets and Cubs.

Nice back pedaling. :rolleyes:

That you were not clear is not my problem, that is your problem jackass.

Nice back pedaling. :rolleyes:

That you were not clear is not my problem, that is your problem jackass.

I was extremely clear.

2nd highest payroll in the league

How much more clear did your fairy ass need it to be?

Large type? Did you need large type?

How 'bout different fonts? Did you need different fonts?

How about both?

The 2nd highest payroll in the league

Not for the best hitting catcher in the game. He would have gotten the same on the open market if not more from a team like the Sox or Yanks. Catchers, and good ones for that matter, are a rare commodity.

This is actually a bargain for him. Yanks or Sox would have paid even more in the inevitable bidding war.

Prospects are prospects (gambles). Mauer is a sure thing. You try to gamble as little as possible when you're spending $190+ million on something.

I think this contract is going to eventually hurt the twins though. It's just not efficient to spend such a big percent of your payroll on one player. They absolutely had to do it though.

Archived