This Feely situation bothers me a little bit

GREENBEAN

That's fine and all, but with this logic we'd be downgrading by bringing in Folk or Rackers.

Rackers missed a 34 yarder w/ the game on the line in a dome against Gb last year but people want Rackers over Feeley b/c he missed a 50+ yarder.

In a dome in the AFC Championship game it is absolutely fair to expect your kicker to be able to hit from 52 yards. Missing a 44 yarder is just unacceptable.

And while the one botched snap against Atlanta wasn't Feely's fault, having a chip shot field goal blocked is ridiculous, and he certainly deserves a share of the blame for it. Not to mention that nothing more needs to be said than Feely missed from 38 yards and the Jets lost by 3. Does the defense deserve blame for letting the Falcons score when they did? Of course, but that doesn't exonerate Feely. If he hits just ONE freakin' kick, then that game at least goes to OT.

As far as the Miami game, I've been making this argument since that game and its true, he was the #1 culprit for both of those kick returns. The coverage had the problems they did because they weren't even half way down the field by the time Ginn had the ball in his hands. They never had a chance to get into position because of Feely's horrid low, line-drive kicks. Its not a coincidence that the Jets kick coverage units went from annually one of, if not the, best in the league to god awful the second the Jets signed him as their kicker in 2008. Not to mention him being out of position to make the TD-saving tackle BOTH times in that game. Frankly, I don't get the gushing over this guy. He's an average kick at best, who plays his worst when his team needs him the most. It has nothing to do with money, even if it were for the league minimum, I'm glad he's gone.

It is because he talks a better game than he plays. Some people listen to the talk. He looked like a choker to me, and your point about the kickoffs is well-taken.

You are really judging these guy's relative values based on one kick by each of them?

No, Rackers has been a really good K in this league but people are throwing Feely away based on missing a 50+ yarder but are happy to bring in rackers who missed a chip shot at home w/ the game on the line. We had a good thing w/ Jay and for some reason we got cheap w/ him. The mentality of the typical fan is to go gag over guys while they are here then throw them out like trahs the second they are gone- just look at what is happening w/ Leon- it irritates me.

No, Rackers has been a really good K in this league but people are throwing Feely away based on missing a 50+ yarder but are happy to bring in rackers who missed a chip shot at home w/ the game on the line. We had a good thing w/ Jay and for some reason we got cheap w/ him. The mentality of the typical fan is to go gag over guys while they are here then throw them out like trahs the second they are gone- just look at what is happening w/ Leon- it irritates me.

As BG pointed out, Feely's terrible kickoffs are probably the number one reason he is gone.

I think people are making way too big a deal out of this. He's a kicker. Stop acting like we are getting rid of Morten Andersen in his prime. Feely is the walking definition of JAG.

He is not only replaceable, he is upgradeable.

As BG pointed out, Feely's terrible kickoffs are probably the number one reason he is gone.

I think people are making way too big a deal out of this. He's a kicker. Stop acting like we are getting rid of Morten Andersen in his prime. Feely is the walking definition of JAG.

Best K we have had, he stabalized a position we have had trouble w/o throughout time.

Again:

As far as KOs, I don't have avg. FP BUT:

opp KRs:

2009: 24.1 yards per return

2008: 21.5

2007: 24.9

Last I checked jay wasn't our K in 2007

As far as KOs, I don't have avg. FP BUT:

opp KRs:

2009: 24.1 yards per return

2008: 21.5

2007: 24.9

Last I checked jay wasn't our K in 2007

Why don't you look up how many KO return TDs the Jets gave up prior to Feely's arrival.

He ain't the best kicker the Jets ever had. Both Pat Leahy and Jim Turner rank well ahead. And Raul Alegre, despite only being a Jet for part of a season, ranks higher due to clutch kicks made under pressure.

Feely is King JAG.

I am not at all happy about letting Jay Feely go like we did. I just heard on Sirius NFL radio that the reason we didn't resign him was because we asked him to take pay cut from his $1.5 mil salary and he didn't want to.

That to me is BS. While he is not the greatest kicker of all time and has his weaknesses, he was more than solid for us last year. He now holds the record for most consecutive FG's made in Jets history. He jumped right in and punted for us when weatherford was out and punted well. On top of that the guy actually makes tackles. He is not afraid to hit someone.

I am really having a hard time wondering why it is that the Jets would be petty about his contract when he is obviously a team player. He was already here and we knew what we had with him. For what?? $500,000 ??? It doesn't make sense to me.

Nick Folk??? Come on!

Can anyone shed some light on this one for me?

It concerns me too. I read that Mr.T was the guy that did not want to pay him. Now they will offer the same to RACKERS. That makes no sense. We do not know what FOLK can do with us. I am willing to give him a shot without being too critical. My problem is that neither kicker are good on kickoffs. Feely was not much better though. It makes me wonder if we might be drafting a guy with a gun for a lag like Zolton Misko? He is a punter but booms kickoffs into the end zone regularly. Probably a 6th rder will secure his services. Still it is all very strange. GO JETS!

I'd guess that the decision boiled down to 50% of this and 50% of the fact that Feely is notoriously one of the biggest pricks in the league. Not to mention the irony of people claiming a kicker of his caliber being hard to find considering we pulled him off the street after a season had already started.

I think people are making way too big a deal out of this. He's a kicker.

Names? Just curious.

You do realize you (and others) contradict yourselves when you say, "He's only a kicker; dump him; we can't give up those kick returns and field position ... he's only a kicker."

It concerns me too. I read that Mr.T was the guy that did not want to pay him. Now they will offer the same to RACKERS. That makes no sense. We do not know what FOLK can do with us. I am willing to give him a shot without being too critical. My problem is that neither kicker are good on kickoffs. Feely was not much better though. It makes me wonder if we might be drafting a guy with a gun for a lag like Zolton Misko? He is a punter but booms kickoffs into the end zone regularly. Probably a 6th rder will secure his services. Still it is all very strange. GO JETS!

I would love to hear that the Jets took a rookie stud kicker. What's with all this revolving door kicker stuff? Let's go get one of the kids!!!

And NOT use a second rd pick on him!

Why don't you look up how many KO return TDs the Jets gave up prior to Feely's arrival.

He ain't the best kicker the Jets ever had. Both Pat Leahy and Jim Turner rank well ahead. And Raul Alegre, despite only being a Jet for part of a season, ranks higher due to clutch kicks made under pressure.

Feely is King JAG.

we gave up 0 in 2008 w/ feely, Ginn had one fluky game and that was not all on the kicker. we also allowed 1 in 2007, 2004 and 2002 all when feely was not here.

Again, Pat leahy wasn't even reliable on XP's let alone FGs. Feely is a million times better than leahy. Turner was before my time but his best % was 63.9% for us and that was w/ the goalposts 10 yards closer.

I won't even get into Allegre who did a great job to help us get to the playoffs in 1991(though he did miss a chip shot against Miami) but he only kicked for 2 games for us.

He's an average, middle of the line kickers. WTF is the big deal about letting him go?

He choked, as he always does, in the big moment. He choked Week 15 and he choked in the AFC Championship.

Neil Rackers is a sexier name and can choke just as good as Jay.

He's an average, middle of the line kickers. WTF is the big deal about letting him go?

He choked, as he always does, in the big moment. He choked Week 15 and he choked in the AFC Championship.

Neil Rackers is a sexier name and can choke just as good as Jay.

week 15 was a big game? you do realize that 2 of those missed opps were not his fault, right?

The title game was huge but he missed one makeable kick.

Did you know Rackers missed a 34 yd FG in a tie game at the end of regulation in the WC game last year? That is MUCH worse than any of Feely's misses but this is the guy you want in place of Feely?

In a dome in the AFC Championship game it is absolutely fair to expect your kicker to be able to hit from 52 yards. Missing a 44 yarder is just unacceptable.

But it's okay (and more common) for linemen to miss blocks, QBs to miss throws, and WRs to miss grabs - some easy TDs. Okay to sweep those under the rug, along with their outlandish salaries.

But when a kicker misses a FG, or a tackle that 10 other teammates missed, it's time to cut his sorry ass. Go figure.

On the other hand, when the QB connects and the WR grabs the game winner TD they're HEROES. When the K makes the winning FG, or the disaster saving tackle ... ah ... he's just a lowly kicker doin' his job.

As far as the Miami game, I've been making this argument since that game and its true, he was the #1 culprit for both of those kick returns. The coverage had the problems they did because they weren't even half way down the field by the time Ginn had the ball in his hands. They never had a chance to get into position because of Feely's horrid low, line-drive kicks.

That's 100% pure bullfark.

hpI1wElYoCs

TD #1: Jets and Ginn converge at MIA 20. Remaining Jets were too slow in cross field sideline pursuit. Feely, backtracking from the MIA 25, was clearly blocked. Strickland had the final angle. Great play by Miami ST, really, TWICE.

TD #2: unflagged illegal blocks on 53 (Izzo) and 51 (Fowler) within MIA 15. Feely, himself, was at the MIA 20 when Ginn changed direction. So much for not having a chance to get downfield. Again, Strickland (27) had the final shot and angle, not enough gas.

But it's okay (and more common) for linemen to miss blocks, QBs to miss throws, and WRs to miss grabs - some easy TDs. Okay to sweep those under the rug, along with their outlandish salaries.

But when a kicker misses a FG, or a tackle that 10 other teammates missed, it's time to cut his sorry ass. Go figure.

On the other hand, when the QB connects and the WR grabs the game winner TD they're HEROES. When the K makes the winning FG, or the disaster saving tackle ... ah ... he's just a lowly kicker doin' his job.

That's 100% pure bullfark.

TD #1: Jets and Ginn converge at MIA 20. Remaining Jets were too slow in cross field sideline pursuit. Feely, backtracking from the MIA 25, was clearly blocked. Strickland had the final angle. Great play by Miami ST, really, TWICE.

TD #2: unflagged illegal blocks on 53 (Izzo) and 51 (Fowler) within MIA 15. Feely, himself, was at the MIA 20 when Ginn changed direction. So much for not having a chance to get downfield. Again, Strickland (27) had the final shot and angle, not enough gas.

I think you've made the best points in this thread. If we upgrade Feely, fine but if we're just going to swap kickers... I just don't trust kickers and I really don't blame Feely for last year. We didn't lose the Indy game because of Feely, we lost it because of Peyton Manning and the Atlanta game wasn't meant to be but we still got into the playoffs.

This arguement is taking the wrong path IMO. We should not be asking weather we should have kept Feeley, we should ALL be asking ourselves.... is Rackers or Folk a better kicker ? the short answer is no.

This was a bad move by the Jets. Also keep in mind signing a UFA that were restricted to 1.25 million is no great shakes either.

This arguement is taking the wrong path IMO. We should not be asking weather we should have kept Feeley, we should ALL be asking ourselves.... is Rackers or Folk a better kicker ? the short answer is no.

This was a bad move by the Jets. Also keep in mind signing a UFA that were restricted to 1.25 million is no great shakes either.

The difference in opinion here is I'm not so sure the answer to that question is no. Folk could be better than Feely. He was great his first two years. The Jets could also find a UDFA who is better than Feely, teams do it every year.

The difference in opinion here is I'm not so sure the answer to that question is no. Folk could be better than Feely. He was great his first two years. The Jets could also find a UDFA who is better than Feely, teams do it every year.

Not possible.

Feely is the GOAT.

Bleedin I hope Folk steps up and does well, its all we can hope for at this point since the deal is done :(

I liked Feely but ya never know. When we brought him in to spell Nugent after his injury I was really worried just like I am now . How many times have we seen kickers hit the skids then go on a solid 4 or 5 year run.

Archived