This Feely situation bothers me a little bit

GREENBEAN

I am not at all happy about letting Jay Feely go like we did. I just heard on Sirius NFL radio that the reason we didn't resign him was because we asked him to take pay cut from his $1.5 mil salary and he didn't want to.

That to me is BS. While he is not the greatest kicker of all time and has his weaknesses, he was more than solid for us last year. He now holds the record for most consecutive FG's made in Jets history. He jumped right in and punted for us when weatherford was out and punted well. On top of that the guy actually makes tackles. He is not afraid to hit someone.

I am really having a hard time wondering why it is that the Jets would be petty about his contract when he is obviously a team player. He was already here and we knew what we had with him. For what?? $500,000 ??? It doesn't make sense to me.

Nick Folk??? Come on!

Can anyone shed some light on this one for me?

I am not at all happy about letting Jay Feely go like we did. I just heard on Sirius NFL radio that the reason we didn't resign him was because we asked him to take pay cut from his $1.5 mil salary and he didn't want to.

That to me is BS. While he is not the greatest kicker of all time and has his weaknesses, he was more than solid for us last year. He now holds the record for most consecutive FG's made in Jets history. He jumped right in and punted for us when weatherford was out and punted well. On top of that the guy actually makes tackles. He is not afraid to hit someone.

I am really having a hard time wondering why it is that the Jets would be petty about his contract when he is obviously a team player. He was already here and we knew what we had with him. For what?? $500,000 ??? It doesn't make sense to me.

Nick Folk??? Come on!

EVERY KICKER is the backup punter, so let's not make Feely's accomplishment more than it was. He didn't punt that well, but we shouldn't expect him to have punted well either.

Feely got shaky down the stretch. He singlehandedly cost us the ATL game, and he didn't help in the AFC Championship game either (those kicks were in a DOME for crying out loud). Also, noone knows if he was a pain in the .... in the locker room.

Now, I don't like this if we sign another kicker for that cash. If we use it to get us a #3 receiver or some other player that can contribute, that would be well worth losing feely. Remember, we couldn't sign a UFA until someone else signed one of ours.

Nick Folk??? Come on!

Well I got to say it - why does this deserve its own thread? It could have been post #151 in the other thread!

That being said, fact of life in the NFL is that you are only good as your last kick. Not enough has been brought up about Westhoff in this decision. I'd bet my last red cent that Westhoff's opinion on his kicker holds significant influence on the final outcome. I just can't see Rex/Tanny letting him go if Westhoff was against it, especially with the insignificant $ at stake.

IMO Feely sealed his fate in the AFC championship game. As far as I'm concerned, I would have done the same thing. Kickers are paid to do one thing, and you don't have a bad game in the biggest game for the Jets in over a decade.

IMO Feely sealed his fate in the AFC championship game. As far as I'm concerned, I would have done the same thing. Kickers are paid to do one thing, and you don't have a bad game in the biggest game for the Jets in over a decade.

Feely also had a 2nd job: kickoffs. And he was TERRIBLE at it. Sure, he was a good tackler for a kicker, but we never should have NEEDED him to be making the tackles if he stopped kicking low line drives.

Feely helped cost us more than just the AFC Title game, and the Atlanta game. He also partly cost us the Miami game at the Meadowlands, when Ted Ginn had two KR TD's.

Next!

Whats Nugent upto these days? He got a raw deal from Fatgini in 2008. You should never lose your job because of an injury. And honestly i liked the kid.

Thats just football bro, where was that since of thinking when you were pulling for your boy kelly when Chad went down?

Feely also had a 2nd job: kickoffs. And he was TERRIBLE at it. Sure, he was a good tackler for a kicker, but we never should have NEEDED him to be making the tackles if he stopped kicking low line drives.

Feely helped cost us more than just the AFC Title game, and the Atlanta game. He also partly cost us the Miami game at the Meadowlands, when Ted Ginn had two KR TD's.

Next!

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Remember when Woody Johnson said the Jets have "a few tricks up our sleeve"? I think one of those tricks was low balling Feely so he has to leave and then the Jets can sign a FA under the crazy rules this year. Don't like it all. Feely was the man. Only thing about him I didn't like was that crack against Chris Henry after he was already dead.

Thats just football bro, where was that since of thinking when you were pulling for your boy kelly when Chad went down?

mainly because Chad was hurting the team and wouldnt own up that he shouldnt be playing,yet the teams season went down the drain because of it. Say what you want but Kellen won 3 games in 07,Chad only 1...and Chad started 9.

mainly because Chad was hurting the team and wouldnt own up that he shouldnt be playing,yet the teams season went down the drain because of it. Say what you want but Kellen won 3 games in 07,Chad only 1...and Chad started 9.

bump

Next!

Exactly why I said "sealed" his fate. If he makes those FG's against the Colts, he may still be here. Coming up flat in the biggest game since '98 is going to get you tossed considering the other factors.

and nuge wasn't hurting the team? LoL, he's still hurting the team, we gave up a 2nd round pick for his sorry arse.

Next!

He didn't cost us any of those 3 games. He missed one easy kick against Indy that cost us 3 pts, the 2nd miss was from 50+ and it's not fair to expect a K to make those.

The Atl game he missed one kick, one was blocked and one was a botched snap then our "great" defense allowed Atlanta to march right down the field and win the game.

It was the coverage, not the kicks that led to ginn returning 2 for TDs.

Feeley is the best kicker we have ever had, it was silly to get cheap w/ a guy who wasn't asking for alot of money but it's done and hopefully Folk or Rackers can be as good as Jay was for us.

He didn't cost us any of those 3 games. He missed one easy kick against Indy that cost us 3 pts, the 2nd miss was from 50+ and it's not fair to expect a K to make those.

The Atl game he missed one kick, one was blocked and one was a botched snap then our "great" defense allowed Atlanta to march right down the field and win the game.

Feeley is the best kicker we have ever had, it was silly to get cheap w/ a guy who wasn't asking for alot of money but it's done and hopefully Folk or Rackers can be as good as Jay was for us.

In a dome in the AFC Championship game it is absolutely fair to expect your kicker to be able to hit from 52 yards. Missing a 44 yarder is just unacceptable.

And while the one botched snap against Atlanta wasn't Feely's fault, having a chip shot field goal blocked is ridiculous, and he certainly deserves a share of the blame for it. Not to mention that nothing more needs to be said than Feely missed from 38 yards and the Jets lost by 3. Does the defense deserve blame for letting the Falcons score when they did? Of course, but that doesn't exonerate Feely. If he hits just ONE freakin' kick, then that game at least goes to OT.

As far as the Miami game, I've been making this argument since that game and its true, he was the #1 culprit for both of those kick returns. The coverage had the problems they did because they weren't even half way down the field by the time Ginn had the ball in his hands. They never had a chance to get into position because of Feely's horrid low, line-drive kicks. Its not a coincidence that the Jets kick coverage units went from annually one of, if not the, best in the league to god awful the second the Jets signed him as their kicker in 2008. Not to mention him being out of position to make the TD-saving tackle BOTH times in that game. Frankly, I don't get the gushing over this guy. He's an average kick at best, who plays his worst when his team needs him the most. It has nothing to do with money, even if it were for the league minimum, I'm glad he's gone.

In a dome in the AFC Championship game it is absolutely fair to expect your kicker to be able to hit from 52 yards. Missing a 44 yarder is just unacceptable.

And while the one botched snap against Atlanta wasn't Feely's fault, having a chip shot field goal blocked is ridiculous, and he certainly deserves a share of the blame for it. Not to mention that nothing more needs to be said than Feely missed from 38 yards and the Jets lost by 3. Does the defense deserve blame for letting the Falcons score when they did? Of course, but that doesn't exonerate Feely. If he hits just ONE freakin' kick, then that game at least goes to OT.

As far as the Miami game, I've been making this argument since that game and its true, he was the #1 culprit for both of those kick returns. The coverage had the problems they did because they weren't even half way down the field by the time Ginn had the ball in his hands. They never had a chance to get into position because of Feely's horrid low, line-drive kicks. Its not a coincidence that the Jets kick coverage units went from annually one of, if not the, best in the league to god awful the second the Jets signed him as their kicker in 2008. Not to mention him being out of position to make the TD-saving tackle BOTH times in that game. Frankly, I don't get the gushing over this guy. He's an average kick at best, who plays his worst when his team needs him the most. It has nothing to do with money, even if it were for the league minimum, I'm glad he's gone.

To be fair we won the TN game based on our Kick coverage and it's no coincidence that our coverage went to hell after Trunsick was moved in the Edwards trade.

Over all Feeley did an excellent job for us. Probably our most reliable kicker ever although that's not really saying much.

He's a kicker we should be able to replace him but Feeley was good and reliable for the most part not to be taken for granted.

To be fair we won the TN game based on our Kick coverage and it's no coincidence that our coverage went to hell after Trunsick was moved in the Edwards trade.

Over all Feely did an AVERAGE job for us.

He's a kicker we should be able to replace him but Feeley was average for the most part not to be taken for granted.

Fixed.

That's very close to what I was thinking. The fact that feely has surpassed every other kicker we've had with consecutive FG made goes un noticed. i am not in love with Feely nor do I think he's irreplaceable. I just don't see why we are bringing in two other kickers who also choked last season to replace someone who was already a part of our "team"

50 yard FGs are are always great when they are made but you can never EXPECT your Kicker to make it in any conditions. I think we can agree Vinatieri is the best K in the last 20-30 years and he's under 50% from 50+.

To be honest I have not looked at the block in a while and I don't remember if it was a low kick or if the penetration was too quick. I don't believe it was Jay's fault but I am not 100% sure. Either way, our supposed great D has to stop Atl on that last drive.

I don't care where you kick it, Ginn is not a good KR. There was no excuse for the poor coverage especially on that 2nd one when we had him in our grasp multiple times.

One other thing on Feely. he was a guy that was well respected in the LR, that's not easy for a Kicker. This offseason we lost two players that were very popular in the LR b/c we got a little cheap. it doesn't make sense.

That's very close to what I was thinking. The fact that feely has surpassed every other kicker we've had with consecutive FG made goes un noticed. i am not in love with Feely nor do I think he's irreplaceable. I just don't see why we are bringing in two other kickers who also choked last season to replace someone who was already a part of our "team"

Bean, the only thing I can think of is that Woody is a liberal and Feely is a conservative.;)

50 yard FGs are are always great when they are made but you can never EXPECT your Kicker to make it in any conditions. I think we can agree Vinatieri is the best K in the last 20-30 years and he's under 50% from 50+.

To be honest I have not looked at the block in a while and I don't remember if it was a low kick or if the penetration was too quick. I don't believe it was Jay's fault but I am not 100% sure. Either way, our supposed great D has to stop Atl on that last drive.

I don't care where you kick it, Ginn is not a good KR. There was no excuse for the poor coverage especially on that 2nd one when we had him in our grasp multiple times.

One other thing on Feely. he was a guy that was well respected in the LR, that's not easy for a Kicker. This offseason we lost two players that were very popular in the LR b/c we got a little cheap. it doesn't make sense.

50 yards in a dome needs to be made. (Take 8 yards off kicks in a dome)

44 yards is a chip shot in a dome.

37 and 38 are chip shots in a critical game that should have cost us the playoffs.

Bean, the only thing I can think of is that Woody is a liberal and Feely is a conservative.;)

Seeing as Woody was the leading fundraiser for the Republican Party in the 2008 election, something tells me that that ain't it.

Feely's got the reputation for being a bit of a douche.

Seeing as Woody was the leading fundraiser for the Republican Party in the 2008 election, something tells me that that ain't it.

Feely's got the reputation for being a bit of a douche.

Well **** then, he should have saved his money and resigned Feely.:character0282:

50 yards in a dome needs to be made. (Take 8 yards off kicks in a dome)

44 yards is a chip shot in a dome.

37 and 38 are chip shots in a critical game that should have cost us the playoffs.

52 yards in a dome is a crapshoot, I'm not holding him responsible for that miss. It wasn't a wise decision to attempt it, we should have gone for it or punted.

52 yards in a dome is a crapshoot, I'm not holding him responsible for that miss. It wasn't a wise decision to attempt it, we should have gone for it or punted.

A Good kicker makes a 52 yarder in a DOME and in the AFC championship game. An average one doesn't.

Feely is not the best kicker the Jets have ever had, that honor goes to Leahy.

Also, if Feely is so great why is he now on his 5th team in 10 seasons? No one could answer that in the other thread.

Wise or unwise doesn't matter (I disagree there too) but he needs to hit in ideal conditions. If he didn't reach, it would be one thing (if it was truly out of his range) but in perfect indoor conditions, hit.

52 in a dome is like 44 outside.

Wise or unwise doesn't matter (I disagree there too) but he needs to hit in ideal conditions. If he didn't reach, it would be one thing (if it was truly out of his range) but in perfect indoor conditions, hit.

52 in a dome is like 44 outside.

I disagree, a 50 yard FG is tough in any conditions.

A Good kicker makes a 52 yarder in a DOME and in the AFC championship game. An average one doesn't.

Also, if Feely is so great why is he now on his 5th team in 10 seasons? No one could answer that in the other thread.

Pat Leahy missed 26 PATs in his career, in only six years of his career was he 100% kicking PATs! Leahy was not a good kicker.

who cares how many teams he has been on? why was another team willing to pay him more than he made last year?

I disagree, a 50 yard FG is tough in any conditions.

Pat Leahy missed 26 PATs in his career, in only six years of his career was he 100% kicking PATs! Leahy was not a good kicker.

who cares how many teams he has been on? why was another team willing to pay him more than he made last year?

:face:

That's fine and all, but with this logic we'd be downgrading by bringing in Folk or Rackers.

Archived