Marshall to Dolphins for '10 2nd + '11 2nd

nycdan

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What did Henne do with a playoff berth on the line last year?

Oh, that's right, he threw 5 picks and led his team to three straight losses.

In many ways both Henne and Sancez played their best games against each other but you bring up an excellent point. The Dolphins were 7 & 6 had all the tiebreakers with a clear path to the division title and they crumbled. Not that disimiliar to what we did the year before with Favre at 8 & 3 when Favre got hurt and basically chucked some games away.

I think Henne is going to be a very good QB. Both guys were protected by a very good running game and Henne was clearly expossed by the loss of Brown and in fairness his WR aren't that good.

Clearly this year both guys are going to be asked to do allot more than they did last year and that's why you can't rule the Pats out totally. Should be a dog fight in the division.

Why does it not make sense? It's not like Henne is ever going to cease to be a year older than Sanchez is. Sanchez is the quarterback of the Jets, Henne is the quarterback of the Dolphins, and right now Henne is better. That seems like a more meaningful frame of reference than your hypothetical universe in which their respective performances at a given age has any impact on the outcome of a game of football.

The issue here is your logic is flawed, as you're not acknowledging the difference in QB performance between a player's first and second years, which is by far the most significant. In subsequent years the age difference becomes increasingly more irrelevant, but that is certainly not the case when one is a rookie and the other is not. Surely Henne was the slightly better player last year, but given the frame of reference of their experience level, its hardly safe to assume that this will continue be the case for any subsequent year.

Best wr in the east is easily wes welker. the most talented would probably be marshall though. evans is a real nice wr from the bills. the east is looking real nice as far as talent at the wr position goes.

I don't think Welker is better than Moss but that's a minor point. Marshall is at best the fourth best receiver in the division, and in reality no better than fifth. Moss, Welker, and Holmes are all better, and given a legit counterpart Cotchery is too, but in a situation like Miami's Marshall is a better sole option because Cotchery doesn't have the physical ability to separate downfield from defenders who don't bite on double moves.

Filed to ESPN: Brandon Marshall reaches agreement with Dolphins on four-year, $47.5 million extension, including $24 million guaranteed.

Marshall signed his one-year, $2.5 million tender with Denver yesterday, so it's five years in Miami for total of $50 million. Wow.

For two players -- LB Karlos Dansby and WR Brandon Marshall -- Dolphins spent $93 million ($46 guaranteed) for 5 years.

He got his contract

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

People, theres no doubt that Henne ws the better QB last year. Stats prove it. End of discussion. Your Qb led the AFC in interceptions.Yes Sanchez rode the coat tails of a outstanding power run game and the leagues #1 defense to the playoffs...Henne did not have that luxury.

Are you crazy?! It was because of Sanchez awesome 8 of 16 for 63 yards and no TD's that won their week 17 game against Cincy!! Geez man, you just don't know anything about football.

End sarcasasm/

I don't think Welker is better than Moss but that's a minor point. Marshall is at best the fourth best receiver in the division, and in reality no better than fifth. Moss, Welker, and Holmes are all better, and given a legit counterpart Cotchery is too, but in a situation like Miami's Marshall is a better sole option because Cotchery doesn't have the physical ability to separate downfield from defenders who don't bite on double moves.

LOL your f'ing with me right?;)

People, theres no doubt that Henne ws the better QB last year. Stats prove it. End of discussion. Your Qb led the AFC in interceptions.Yes Sanchez rode the coat tails of a outstanding power run game and the leagues #1 defense to the playoffs...Henne did not have that luxury.

Last year, Henne did have better stats. That being said, a few things schew these arguments:

1) Henne had a year to sit and play four years at Michigan. Sanchez came out after his junior year and started from day 1. Generally speaking, rookie quarterbacks will usually struggle more than first year starters that sat for a year (or more).

2) With the exception of the Atlanta game, Sanchez did exactly what was asked of him for the five games he played in the 09 season. Not only that, he was money during the playoffs and the light just seemed to turn on.

As of now, you guys seem to have a good one in Henne. Time will tell who turns out to be better in the long run. Who knows, perhaps the Sanchez-Henne battles will become this generations Marino-Kelly battles.

The issue here is your logic is flawed, as you're not acknowledging the difference in QB performance between a player's first and second years, which is by far the most significant.

I'd submit that there's a fairly unassailable reason for not acknowledging the difference in Sanchez's performance between his first and second years.

The Dolphins now have 2 of the bottom-3 ranked WR's in Y/R last season (with at least 60 receptions) and the other one plays in New England.

Why wouldn't Darren Sharper want to play for the Jets?

Are you saying Wes Welker and Brandon Marshal are bad players? Because both of them, individually, are better than the entire Jets receving corps combined.

Hahahaha that cracked me up. I expected to come here and see the Jet fans disappointed that we just acquired the league's 3rd best receiver. But no, instead they make statments like that haha. Too funny.

Nothing I wasn't saying about Marshall a year ago when we were the ones supposedly on the verge of making a move for him. If I were so benighted as to care what the rest of you were saying at the time this would be a good opportunity to search up some lols.

Hahahaha that cracked me up. I expected to come here and see the Jet fans disappointed that we just acquired the league's 3rd best receiver. But no, instead they make statments like that haha. Too funny.

The analysis is based on actual performance vs. the mean but I wouldn't expect a Dolphins fan to be able to understand anything past "big Receiver fast guy catch ball a lot."

The analysis is based on actual performance vs. the mean but I wouldn't expect a Dolphins fan to be able to understand anything past "big Receiver fast guy catch ball a lot."

Damn he's only 26, he's comming home to Florida and he just got paid...HE'S GONNA BEAST!!!!! I predict 108 rec. 1,448 yds. 15 TD's.

All I can hear is...

2009: 101 receptions 1120 yards 10 touchdowns

2008: 104 receptions 1265 yards 6 touchdowns

2007: 102 receptions 1325 yards 7 touchdowns

I really don't get why it's so hard to admit that he's a great player. I was notciably upset about the Jets getinng Holmsebecause I think he's a good football player, but this ends any of that disapointment. Marshal is 10 times the player Holmes is.

All I can hear is...

I really don't get why it's so hard to admit that he's a great player. I was notciably upset about the Jets getinng Holmsebecause I think he's a good football player, but this ends any of that disapointment. Marshal is 10 times the player Holmes is.

....and he isn't facing a 4 game suspension to start the season either.

Damn he's only 26, he's comming home to Florida and he just got paid...HE'S GONNA BEAST!!!!! I predict 108 rec. 1,448 yds. 15 TD's.

Excuse me, but what is the purpose coming to a rival site (in this case the Jets) and acting like a 10 year old sounding off with "Look what we just got"...I just don't understand the logic. I, for one have never visited a rival site and sounded off (especially with our signings thus far)...I see no purpose in it...immature if you ask me.

That's a little much, I think he'll be a little closer to his average numbers. But in case you're worried, he just averages 100 catches, 1100 yards and about 8 touchdowns. :cheers:

This is an efficiency issue that's so basic that even bringing DVOA into it is really overkill. Marshall's production is only impressive in a vacuum. He was thrown 155 passes last year, 181 the year before, 170 in 2007. He puts up the numbers of an elite receiver but at an opportunity cost that's higher by half.

Can someone set up a vBookie Event? I'm going to wager everything I've got on the 1400-Yard Truthers abandoning the Math Luddite Bandwagon to hop aboard the Efficiency Stats Are Awesome Bandwagon.

....and he isn't facing a 4 game suspension to start the season either.

Gotta love it! So you really feel like the Jets and Phins have passed the Patriots? I don't agree with that, man. I do think the Pats are getting long in the tooth and have some obvious weaknesses that we're not accustomed to seeing with a Bill Belichick football team, but to think this is going to be anything less than a three dog race is pure insanity. By anyone.

All I can hear is...

All I can hear is:

I'M A DIP**** TROLL!!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH LOOK AT ME! I DIDN'T POST AT ALL WHEN THE JETS MADE THEIR PLAYOFF RUN OR WHEN THEY ACQUIRED ONE RIDICULOUSLY TALENTED PLAYER AFTER ANOTHER BUT I'M GONNA GO ON JN AND MAKE AN ASS OF MYSELF BECAUSE THE DOLPHINS JUST SIGNED BRANDON MARSHALL!!!

All I can hear is...

Their stats aren't that far apart and Holmes is a SB MVP. You also have to take into account that Denver is the hardest place for oppossing CB to play in because of the altitude.

Not arguing that he isn't a great addition, he is but the Jets simply have a much better WR corp. right now than the Dolphins do and it's not even close.

All I can hear is:

I'M A DIP**** TROLL!!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH LOOK AT ME! I DIDN'T POST AT ALL WHEN THE JETS MADE THEIR PLAYOFF RUN OR WHEN THEY ACQUIRED ONE RIDICULOUSLY TALENTED PLAYER AFTER ANOTHER BUT I'M GONNA GO ON JN AND MAKE AN ASS OF MYSELF BECAUSE THE DOLPHINS JUST SIGNED BRANDON MARSHALL!!!

I just said as much...plus 1 million.

Gotta love it! So you really feel like the Jets and Phins have passed the Patriots? I don't agree with that, man. I do think the Pats are getting long in the tooth and have some obvious weaknesses that we're not accustomed to seeing with a Bill Belichick football team, but to think this is going to be anything less than a three dog race is pure insanity. By anyone.

Pats are long in tooth offensively - not defensively. There is a youth movement on Defense. Anyway, right NOW - the only advantage the Pats have is QB. Tom Brady is best QB in the division and he'll have two years on the injury. Welker is out - and IF he comes back - he won't be the same - THIS season, anyway. With Brady there - and BB (especially since he's playing DC this year) - I am not counting them out. Just being realistic - it doesn;t look good as of 4/14/10.

Their stats aren't that far apart and Holmes is a SB MVP. You also have to take into account that Denver is the hardest place for oppossing CB to play in because of the altitude.

Not arguing that he isn't a great addition, he is but the Jets simply have a much better WR corp. right now than the Dolphins do and it's not even close.

Cotchery is a good player, I'll give you that, I actually like him (hard for me to like a Jets player.) But Braylon Edwards is a waste. Outside of the Dolphins games, he did nothing, at all.

So in comparison...

Brandon Marshal is a top 5 WR in the NFL - Santonio Holmes is top 25. Advantage Dolphins by 42 miles.

Davone Bess is a tremendous slot, posession guy - Cotchery provides the same tools with tough catches in key spots and chain moving ability. Advantage - Wash.

And yes, I would take Brain Hartline over Braylon Edwards. Call it crazy now, but it will be a correct statement next December.

I'M A DIP**** TROLL!!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH LOOK AT ME! I DIDN'T POST AT ALL WHEN THE JETS MADE THEIR PLAYOFF RUN OR WHEN THEY ACQUIRED ONE RIDICULOUSLY TALENTED PLAYER AFTER ANOTHER BUT I'M GONNA GO ON JN AND MAKE AN ASS OF MYSELF BECAUSE THE DOLPHINS JUST SIGNED BRANDON MARSHALL!!!.

Fixed.

Cotchery is a good player, I'll give you that, I actually like him (hard for me to like a Jets player.) But Braylon Edwards is a waste. Outside of the Dolphins games, he did nothing, at all.

So in comparison...

Brandon Marshal is a top 5 WR in the NFL - Santonio Holmes is top 25. Advantage Dolphins by 42 miles.

Davone Bess is a tremendous slot, posession guy - Cotchery provides the same tools with tough catches in key spots and chain moving ability. Advantage - Wash.

And yes, I would take Brain Hartline over Braylon Edwards. Call it crazy now, but it will be a correct statement next December.

nfHOQAT0-Mk

This seems an overreaction. It's only hard for people who are capable of dividing one number by another. For everyone else, it's just misplaced ressentiment.

How is it anything other than adding 100 catches, 1100 yards and possibly 10 TDs to the line up? That's all it is. Basic math if you ask me. Especially when you consider that we won 11 games in 2008 and 7 in 2009 and the most touchdowns any Dolphin receiver caught in either of those years was 3.

Sorry, but Evans has been the lone bright spot of the bills for the past couple of years. And I didn't say he was better then those other wr. I said he was a nice wr. I think we are getting a little confused between talent and production. Marshall has the most talent out of all of those guys in my opinion, but who producers and makes your team better? I think welker does it time in and out. The guy moves the chains when they need to be moved. Wes Welker is the white Wayne Chrebet. Marshall will be a beast though, because they don't have anyone else to throw to. Overall, the Jets have the most talented wr's as a group in the east.

CB's beware. It will be fun to see teams not in our division try and stop these wr's.

How is it anything other than adding 100 catches, 1100 yards and possibly 10 TDs to the line up? That's all it is. Basic math if you ask me. Especially when you consider that we won 11 games in 2008 and 7 in 2009 and the most touchdowns any Dolphin receiver caught in either of those years was 3.

Aten has already succinctly explained why in a macro sense it's actually considerably less than that, but the fact that you consider basic math to be a definitive evaluative tool means this conversation was over before it began.

Archived