Marshall to Dolphins for '10 2nd + '11 2nd

nycdan

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall is better overall than Soho. But Soho is a better deep threat. In college Chad Henne was phenomenal at throwing the deep ball. He had Mario Manningham and some other little fast guy whose name I can't remember. But he was great at hitting those two deep. Even though Marshall is better, I think Soho might have helped their team more because he's a better deep threat and throwing long was Henne's strength in college.

Marshall to Dolphins rumors circulating

April, 14, 2010 Apr 14

1:52

AM ET

Email Print Share

By Tim Graham

By the time most folks have had their morning coffee and checked in with the AFC East blog, this item might be irrelevant.

[+] Enlargenfl_g_marshall1_200.jpg Andy Lyons/Getty ImagesBrandon Marshall trade winds are blowing late into the night.

But for your night owls and predawn risers, here's a snapshot of what's going on in what's believed to be a fast-moving and fluid process.

There are notable rumblings the Miami Dolphins are in legitimate pursuit of Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall.

Two Miami Herald columnists, Greg Cote and Armando Salguero, independently blogged about it late Tuesday night.

Cote writes "I am as hopeful as I have been in a long while that Marshall could actually end up in Miami before the draft" and "genuine interest is there."

Salguero apologized for citing some backchannel info, but passed along some whispers that supposedly originated in the Broncos' locker room.

The Seattle Seahawks are believed to be the other top candidate for Marshall. The Seahawks hosted Marshall, but declined to sign the restricted free agent to an offer sheet.

As NFC West warden Mike Sando shared a quote Seahawks coach Pete Carroll delivered about Marshall on Tuesday: "We've done our homework and done our research on that. Really, it's not in our hands. The Broncos have some things that they have to do. We're on alert here."

NFL.com's Jason LaCanfora reported Tuesday the Dolphins are shopping receiver Ted Ginn. That would seem to signal the Dolphins have another move in the works. Ginn is their only receiver who can stretch the field -- albeit ineffectively because he drops too many passes. But dealing him without a replacement in mind would be reckless.

In considering the currency of the day, the Dolphins own the 12th, 43rd and 73rd picks through the first three rounds of the draft.

The Seahawks hold the sixth, 14th and 60th picks.

Wow...great move for the Phish if true. Marshall is a stud and arguably the #1 WR in the league. Revis vs. Marshall twice a year for the next decade would be pretty awesome.

Sort of discounts the story that the 'phins were avoiding Holmes due to character concerns, doesn't it?

a 2nd + a 2011 2nd is a decent deal for Marshall, BUT why not snag Holmes for a 4th or 5th (their 5th is better than ours)?

Sure, Holmes misses 4 games, and that may be why, but Marshall is right on the cuff of being out of the league too. Marshall is better, no question, but the difference is smaller than the difference in compensation.

At our pricetag, if Holmes acts up, you can release him. He doesn't have a new deal, and it was a 5th. At the Phins tag, if Marshall doesn't work out they're screwed with the new deal Marshall is going to get + the compensation. I think Marshall will work out for them though.

Wait until finheaven comes back up (some time this afternoon) and read the spin they'll put on how this blows away the Holmes deal.

Truth is, it *is* a great deal for the Phins in that it addresses a huge weakness, regardless of what they paid. Revis is going to be a busy man next season :)

so this ties in with my would you rather segment. Which I'm thinking of making a weekly would you rather segment.

At any rate yes I would rather have Marshall for 2nd this year and a second next year. Why would I? Because you get a receiver all year long. Marshall has his issues but he's also not on the verge of being suspended for a year. The talent is about even between the two.

so this ties in with my would you rather segment. Which I'm thinking of making a weekly would you rather segment.

At any rate yes I would rather have Marshall for 2nd this year and a second next year. Why would I? Because you get a receiver all year long. Marshall has his issues but he's also not on the verge of being suspended for a year. The talent is about even between the two.

Actually, Marshall has some increased risk for a long suspension based on his previous issues. He had a 3-game suspension that was reduced to one on appeal so I'm not sure what that puts him in line for but he's no boy scout either.

As for talent, I'd rate Marshall higher than Holmes. Marshall is a definite top-5 talent in my opinion whereas I'd put Holmes down in the 6-10 range, all else being equal.

I love Marshall and was pushing for us to get him if we where thinking of taking Tate or another WR in the first but honestly the second we got Santonio for a 5th I forgot all about him. I'd rather have Marshall then Santonio but for what we payed and the fact that either of them are a ****up away from a season long suspension I'd say we got a hell of a deal and Miami just made a deal as a reaction to it.

a 2nd + a 2011 2nd is a decent deal for Marshall, BUT why not snag Holmes for a 4th or 5th (their 5th is better than ours)?

Sure, Holmes misses 4 games, and that may be why, but Marshall is right on the cuff of being out of the league too. Marshall is better, no question, but the difference is smaller than the difference in compensation.

At our pricetag, if Holmes acts up, you can release him. He doesn't have a new deal, and it was a 5th. At the Phins tag, if Marshall doesn't work out they're screwed with the new deal Marshall is going to get + the compensation. I think Marshall will work out for them though.

I'm pretty sure they don't have their fifth. They traded it for Tyler Thigpen (who is supposedly being shopped now).

You're leaving out the contract. Marshall wants new money right now. Holmes knows that he is playing for a contract. That and the compensation can even up that talent gap awfully quickly.

OMG OMG OMG.

I'm so worrieddddddddddd

NOT

Just like everyone else he'll be lost on Revis Island and Miami's offense is still hardly scary. You have Marshall, who Revis contains, an over-rated RB, and Bess in the slot. The scariest of that trio for this Jets D is Bess, and all we hear on this message board is that slot WR's mean jack **** (see Welker thread) so nobody should be worried.

OMG OMG OMG.

I'm so worrieddddddddddd

NOT

Just like everyone else he'll be lost on Revis Island and Miami's offense is still hardly scary. You have Marshall, who Revis contains, an over-rated RB, and Bess in the slot. The scariest of that trio for this Jets D is Bess, and all we hear on this message board is that slot WR's mean jack **** (see Welker thread) so nobody should be worried.

You mean this Revis Island? Pffft :yawn:

29d95qd-2.gif

29d95qd-2.gif

Oh wow, one play. Revis let up one play. OMG.

It happens, Sherlock. Nobody is perfect, but Revis is still a shutdown CB who will take care of Marshall on a regular basis. Your WR core still doesn't come close to ours.

BTW, nice job Kerry Rhodes.

Ted Ginn is the only reason you beat us, and you're going to get rid of him. I can't wait, because against the Jets, thats all your team had. Ginn for 2 games is great, for 14 games, he's garbage. Please do trade him, then we definitely have nothing to worry about.

29d95qd-2.gif

lol...revis let up one play all year. ONE! and he went up against the best of the best all year long. week after week. andre johnson, roddy white, randy moss, marcus colston etc etc. he will mostly shut down marshall....who i was surprised to see has a pretty pedestrian y/r avg for a #1 receiver.

OMG OMG OMG.

I'm so worrieddddddddddd

NOT

We could sign Moses, Allah, or Jesus and you still wouldn't be worried would you? Question is, you trying to convince us or you?

Oh wow, one play. Revis let up one play. OMG.

It happens, Sherlock. Nobody is perfect, but Revis is still a shutdown CB who will take care of Marshall on a regular basis. Your WR core still doesn't come close to ours.

BTW, nice job Kerry Rhodes.

Ted Ginn is the only reason you beat us, and you're going to get rid of him. I can't wait, because against the Jets, thats all your team had. Ginn for 2 games is great, for 14 games, he's garbage. Please do trade him, then we definitely have nothing to worry about.

Blaming Kerry Rhodes for that play is LOL funny. All you have to do is look at the gif and you'll see Revis get burned buy a double move.

So, the Jets WR core is better eh? Is that before or after Holmes gets off of suspension? Before or after Edwards drops more balls?

lol...revis let up one play all year. ONE! and he went up against the best of the best all year long. week after week. andre johnson, roddy white, randy moss, marcus colston etc etc. he will mostly shut down marshall....who i was surprised to see has a pretty pedestrian y/r avg for a #1 receiver.

Yeah, 3 consecutive 100 catch seasons is pedestrian. Lol, seriously? Not to mention he had Orton throwing him the ball.

Its tough to argue that the Jets didn't get a better deal than the Dolphins, but the bottom line is that this is a significant upgrade to the Dolphins offense. While I'd still easily take the Jets WR corps over any in the division, Marshall just became the division's best WR and honestly I'd take the Dolphins WRs over the Patriots WRs even at this point. Marshall + bunch of scrubs > Moss + bunch of scrubs (given we'll see little, if any, of Welker next season).

Blaming Kerry Rhodes for that play is LOL funny. All you have to do is look at the gif and you'll see Revis get burned buy a double move.

So, the Jets WR core is better eh? Is that before or after Holmes gets off of suspension? Before or after Edwards drops more balls?

Yeah, 3 consecutive 100 catch seasons is pedestrian. Lol, seriously? Not to mention he had Orton throwing him the ball.

ginn is a fast motherfu*ker no doubt. marshall doesn't get by revis like that because he's just not that fast. and if you had any reading comprehension AT ALL you'd see i said his y/r were pedestrian assclown, not his number of receptions. learn to read before you post. oh and orton wa sonly throwing him the ball for one season. hye's got a career avg of 12 y/r...which is pedestrian for a #1 receiver. i still think you guys just got yourselves a hell of a receiver but you're still an idiot. oh and there's no doubt the jets wr corps is better than the dolphins'

Archived