Honestly, I forgot about Matt Slausen,

Lady Jet

Size does not always tell the story. You're right there.

But this is left guard, between Brick and Mangold. He should be fine there.

I'm a Faneca fan, but in this case youth makes sense.

I think having Faneca next to Brick really helped BRICK out. This year he's on his own. We shall see.

Don't ever mention that ****ing name in my presence again! Worst football player.... EVER!!!!

Nope Adrien Clarke was at LG in 2007. Remember the guy we brought in to replace Pete Kendall unsuccessfully? Only to kill Clemens and Chad the whole year? He was worse than Clement any day.

Nope Adrien Clarke was at LG in 2007. Remember the guy we brought in to replace Pete Kendall unsuccessfully? Only to kill Clemens and Chad the whole year? He was worse than Clement any day.

yep, we had two beauts on that OL

I think having Faneca next to Brick really helped BRICK out. This year he's on his own. We shall see.

If that's the case, better to find out now before they even consider paying him that franchise LT money in the next year or two. 2011 is the last year of his rookie deal.

I think Faneca is way up there with Leon Washington as most overrated players on the team, and I don't think I'm gonna miss either one of them.

If that's the case, better to find out now before they even consider paying him that franchise LT money in the next year or two. 2011 is the last year of his rookie deal.

I think Faneca is way up there with Leon Washington as most overrated players on the team, and I don't think I'm gonna miss either one of them.

Overrated doesn't mean bad. I'll miss Leon even if (through injury or circumstance) he never did turn into Brian Westbrook like we all hoped.

D'Brick'll be fine. The guy is legitimately a top 5 LT in the league but because not even his own fanbase acknowledges it he's just a top 5 underrated player in the league.

Putting a guy with Ducasse's size next to him won't hurt either...

Overrated doesn't mean bad. I'll miss Leon even if (through injury or circumstance) he never did turn into Brian Westbrook like we all hoped.

I was one of the ones overrating him, so I'm jaded. I wanted the Jets to pay him & play him last year. Well, they did play him, and I didn't see anything "explosive" out of him before he got hurt. No big plays, not a single TD, just no impact. The Jets are fortunate that he turned down their long term offer, IMHO. I think if he were healthy, they would've traded him anyway - they just would've gotten more for him.

D'Brick'll be fine. The guy is legitimately a top 5 LT in the league but because not even his own fanbase acknowledges it he's just a top 5 underrated player in the league.

Putting a guy with Ducasse's size next to him won't hurt either...

Brick is probably #2, maybe #3. At #1 you have to have Joe Thomas. I don't think anybody is going to argue that one...I also don't know how the Browns can have such talent on the line and still suck so much. Maybe because they don't have QBs. With the right QB I guess that team improves in a hurry...especially if you are high on that WR of theirs, whose name I forgot (it had a bunch of Ms in it--I am too lazy to check right now, he is on my prospect list for fantasy football though).

The only other 2 names I can consider in front of Brick are Long and Roos. Other guys that might be on his level are Clady and Gaither, but I don't think they are/haven't shown it for long enough.

Brick is surprisingly good and I have to admit I don't understand why fans aren't higher on him. It could be because of Faneca next to him getting some credit and also shifting blame onto Brick, since Faneca made so many mistakes.

I think a lot of the problem is that unless you watch a game multiple times, generally you can NOT see everything going on at once. You have to make a conscious decision on what you're going to pay attention to, and how much you want to study vs. enjoying the game. I watched Brick a lot the first year and a half when I had the chance, especially since I had no intention of paying attention to Chad's dink and dunk anyway.

Last year I mostly paid attention to Sanchez and used my pre-formed thoughts on Brick until I got called out on it, so then I went back to re-watch him and focused on him every chance I got. This is also why I have killed Faneca in my posts, since I saw a lot of him too since he is next to Brick. Faneca was still a good pulling run blocker, I will give him that, maybe the best in the game actually still, but every game I'd watch he'd make about 3-5 really stupid rookie mistakes where I'd scratch my head wondering how he's a vet. Apparently the Jets coaching staff saw this too...obviously they would notice. The casual fan and general dumb sports journalist however...they don't know football anyway.

When you pay attention to the line you can kind of watch all of them, although it's easier to look at one side first and then the other, unless it's a designed run with one side pulling. Again, Faneca's only real strength.

If I had to rank last year's line in terms of overall at their position in the NFL:

Brick: #2 LT

Faneca: #8 LG

Mangold: #1 C

Moore: #3 RG

Woody: #1 RT

Yeah that's right, I have Woody rated #1, I don't know of any other RT I'd rather have in the league. So you guys saying that he's gonna be gone next year...well, as I said I like depth, but I would not understand that move.

Faneca was the weakest, and he's still considered a top 10, maybe top 5 at his position. The Jets OL is amazing. That's also why I think TJ is such a scrub. For anyone that wants to challenge these, list up some other players you think are better.

I don't think anybody is looking to push Woody out the door. The fact is, he is 32, notorious for getting out of shape and hasn't exactly been injury free. It's not likely that he'll be able to perform at a high level for much longer and he's due around $5M per for the next three years. It's very likely the team will be better off severing ties before that deal is done. If that's the case, they'd better have somebody ready.

I don't think anybody is looking to push Woody out the door. The fact is, he is 32, notorious for getting out of shape and hasn't exactly been injury free. It's not likely that he'll be able to perform at a high level for much longer and he's due around $5M per for the next three years. It's very likely the team will be better off severing ties before that deal is done. If that's the case, they'd better have somebody ready.

+1.

In a perfect world Slauson takes over at guard and Vlad replaces Woody eventually.

Yeah I agree with this. You need to have the backup plan in there, but right now he's the best RT in the league imo, so no need to rush it. Different situation than Faneca, who was expensive and had really declined and is probably going to be awful this year, and if not this year the next. Woody MIGHT decline badly in the next few, but then he might not. RTs can play for awhile.

• 6 years later...

Chargers signed G/C Matt Slauson to a two-year contract.

Slauson also visited Buffalo following his Bears release. He'll take over at center for the Chargers after grading as a top-20 guard at PFF last season. Slauson's signing blocks third-round pick Max Tuerk and will push Chris Watt into a swing role on the interior line. Tuerk tore his ACL last season at USC, but remains the Chargers' center of the future. From left to right, San Diego's line is shaping up as LT King Dunlap, LG Orlando Franklin, C Slauson, RG D.J. Fluker, and RT Joe Barksdale. It'll be a solid unit if the members stay healthy, which they failed to do last season. Slauson is a very good pickup.

On 5/2/2010 at 11:43 PM, Lady Jet said:

I think we'll be fine.

:)

matt-slauson2.jpg

At least you were honest about it.  We all knew you weren't considering him but weren't sure if you had forgotten about him or were being totally devious.  Glad you came clean about this.  It makes things a lot easier for us all going forward.

Archived