Kids get in trouble for wearing American flag T-shirts to school on Cinco de Mayo

Green DNA

So it's wrong to celebrate a culture that might have an impact on the future of American history? So then you'd agree we should do away with St. Patricks day.

There are celebrations of all cultures going on all over the country all the time and that is great. The difference is that you don't see the US being excluded or disrespected at those celebrations. Most cultures embrace their new Americanism as well as their original culture, not piss on it.

Edit: saw a later post and you are pretty much on the same page.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God forbid.

This is AMERICA, we speak ENGLISH here! If I moved to a Hispanic country, I'd speak Spanish. And I don't care what people say, English IS the official language of the US, by law or not. I mean it's just disrespectful to our founding fathers.

This is AMERICA, we speak ENGLISH here! If I moved to a Hispanic country, I'd speak Spanish. And I don't care what people say, English IS the official language of the US, by law or not. I mean it's just disrespectful to our founding fathers.

Because our founding fathers loved all things English?

That may be true, does that mean the school authorities would be wrong to try and stop the disruptive behavior? If the protest worked and was counter productive to having a reasonable teaching environment in the schools does that make it right?

I'm not sure if your defending the right of these guys to be aholes because they were hiding behind the American flag or because they are white?

I'm not sure I get where white kids are being discriminated against for having to live up to a decent standard of behavior.

There is also a growing trend in public shcools in minority areas enforcing strict dress codes and in many casses uniforms. This suggest that while your example might be true, the trend in many minority schools is clearly going in a different direction.

I don't think there is much doubt that these kids meant to be provacative. There certainly isn't any doubt that they succeeded in offending some mexican american kids. My problem is with the fact that the American flag can be used to cause such offense. And that is because of the ridiculous out of control political correctness

that is going on with this country. Kids learn from us. And this is what they are learning? That if they wear the american flag on their t-shirts on cinco de mayo they can offend mexican americans? And the mexican american kids believe that the american flag is some kind of offense to them? Didn't their parents or grandparents come to this country for a reason? Both sides have been brainwashed by their parents, the media and our dopey political leaders.

Forget everything else about this issue for a moment. I repeat. How in the world can the american flag offend anyone, anywhere (in this country) on any day???

I don't think there is much doubt that these kids meant to be provacative. There certainly isn't any doubt that they succeeded in offending some mexican american kids. My problem is with the fact that the American flag can be used to cause such offense. And that is because of the ridiculous out of control political correctness

that is going on with this country. Kids learn from us. And this is what they are learning? That if they wear the american flag on their t-shirts on cinco de mayo they can offend mexican americans? And the mexican american kids believe that the american flag is some kind of offense to them? Didn't their parents or grandparents come to this country for a reason? Both sides have been brainwashed by their parents, the media and our dopey political leaders.

Forget everything else about this issue for a moment. I repeat. How in the world can the american flag offend anyone, anywhere (in this country) on any day???

Den, as I've stated many times now, we live in a different America then the one we grew up with...hell, I didn't even know what an Italian flag looked like until I was in grammar school. Both sets of grandparents left Italy behind them and their main focus was to become "Americans"...a lot of immigrants today want to put their heritage first and American second. And for most Cubans, they're not immigrants...they are refugees and if you live in South Florida you know where their heart is.

I don't think there is much doubt that these kids meant to be provacative. There certainly isn't any doubt that they succeeded in offending some mexican american kids. My problem is with the fact that the American flag can be used to cause such offense.

I agree with all of that, but disagree with the next line:

And that is because of the ridiculous out of control political correctness

I'm pretty sure the reason that the American flag was "offensive" in this instance because the kids wearing them put them on specifically in an attempt to be offensive. And they were successful.

They went on to get all the attention that they could've hoped for from the ridiculous out of control "real" Americans as victims BS permeating the supposedly liberal press. So many people who simply read the headline (or maybe even the article!) and thought, "School say flag bad, I say flag good. <grunt>"

The school sought to nip any potential violence in the bud. That's the school's right in their tiny little jurisdiction. It's everyone outside of the school feeling the need to turn it into a black & white -rather than red, white, & blue- issue.

Bit, you're not a patriot? Could have fooled me...anyway, I'm okay (my personal view) with displaying "old glory" as long as it's not being used in a way of disrespect. Again, that is my personal opinion and I know what the code explanis as proper etiquette. Example...it's a persons right to burn the flag...I fought for that right and other rights that people in this country enjoy. On the other hand, if I witness someone burning the flag...I would kill them...without blinking an eye. Again, my own personal opinion.

I understand you never protesting the government by burning the flag, but what exactly did you fight for your country for? Doesn't the term "freedom" come to mind?

I don't agree with everything everyone in this country does, but I believe in their right to do it - as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. If someone feels so strongly about their political convictions - be they Communist Party or Tea Party - I feel they have the right burn an American flag to get their point across. It may not work, it may well backfire, but it should certainly be legal. Vigilantism isn't, and shouldn't be.

lebowski quote...

im still waiting for all the patriots to explain how disrespecting the American flag (by featuring it as a Tshirt, essentially disposable clothing) is such a great thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

I've checked several flag resources, it's a federal law... the US Flag should be used as a patch on serviceman's uniform, at most... lapel pins are also allowed.

but it's not meant to be used as a logo in a tagged-out tshirt... or as a sweat rag for a teenager's head... or someone's pant legs... or a swimsuit thong... or to have a slogan or advertising attached to it.

we think wearing a 5 dollar chinese made t-shirt with the flag screened on and saying "these colors dont run" is especially patriotic, in fact it's not.

what happens when the t-shirts wear out do they get ceremonially burned?

You're talking about two different things here bit. On one hand you're talking about an actual, authentic United States Flag. That is what those rules apply to. Taking a US flag and making it in to a shirt, bandana, pair of pants, etc... is disrespectful because you are essentially altering/disrespecting a flag.

If somebody takes a T-shirt with a US flag design on it, that's totally different. It's being worn as a tribute to the actual flag. They are not ceremoniously burned when they fade because that is done to US flags, not hats or shirts that are worn out of respect for a real flag.

I understand you never protesting the government by burning the flag, but what exactly did you fight for your country for? Doesn't the term "freedom" come to mind?

I don't agree with everything everyone in this country does, but I believe in their right to do it - as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. If someone feels so strongly about their political convictions - be they Communist Party or Tea Party - I feel they have the right burn an American flag to get their point across. It may not work, it may well backfire, but it should certainly be legal. Vigilantism isn't, and shouldn't be.

Slats, until you've had buddies and family die in defense of that flag (whether you agree with our policy in Vietnam or not) and again, I am speaking from a personal standpoint, I cannot and will not stand for the burning of the flag...sorry, that is my stance. And until I am no longer breathng or able to defend myself, that is the way this veteran will carry on...and I'm not asking one single person here to agree with me.

Slats, until you've had buddies and family die in defense of that flag (whether you agree with our policy in Vietnam or not) and again, I am speaking from a personal standpoint, I cannot and will not stand for the burning of the flag...sorry, that is my stance. And until I am no longer breathng or able to defend myself, that is the way this veteran will carry on...and I'm not asking one single person here to agree with me.

You don't have to ask NS. Lots of vets feel the same way brother.

Fair enough.

My feeling is that you're putting the flag ahead of what it's supposed to represent. I understand that you'd be offended by such a protest, but the freedom to participate in such a protest legally is part of what makes this country great, IMHO.

But if flag burning is offensive, then you should be offended by some stupid kids in a Latino community wearing the flag in a blatant attempt to say "phuck you," to Latino kids, too. That's more offensive to me than the principal trying to keep order in his school.

Fair enough.

My feeling is that you're putting the flag ahead of what it's supposed to represent. I understand that you'd be offended by such a protest, but the freedom to participate in such a protest legally is part of what makes this country great, IMHO.

But if flag burning is offensive, then you should be offended by some stupid kids in a Latino community wearing the flag in a blatant attempt to say "phuck you," to Latino kids, too. That's more offensive to me than the principal trying to keep order in his school.

To me the flag represents the ideas expressed in the Declaration of Independence. A document of war and of a new kind of soveriegn nation based on a set of ideas and principles.

I think the flag represents a set of ideas and an ideal that was fought for with blood from day 1 and continues to be fought for today. That doesn't mean we always live up to the ideals that we share as citizens. However, when you blatantly use a symbol like that for political protest you are hitting at peoples core values and beliefs. While you may have the right to do it, you better be prepared to fight and die for your own beliefs when you cross that line.

There are allot of problems with this country but the ideals that this country were formed around, those ideas that are represented by our flag on the battlefield shouldn't be burned or spit upon without consequence. It shouldn't be used as a tool by bullies at a school either.

To me the problem is trying to legislate or punish based on "feelings" or intent. It makes for a slippery slope of stupid rules that can never be properly or fairly enforced. You can't stop people from being dicks and *******s. What you can do is keep them from harming or threatening others. If these kids threatened or hurt those celebrating cinco de mayo it wasn't simply by wearing flag shirts.

I agree with all of that, but disagree with the next line:

I'm pretty sure the reason that the American flag was "offensive" in this instance because the kids wearing them put them on specifically in an attempt to be offensive. And they were successful.

They went on to get all the attention that they could've hoped for from the ridiculous out of control "real" Americans as victims BS permeating the supposedly liberal press. So many people who simply read the headline (or maybe even the article!) and thought, "School say flag bad, I say flag good. <grunt>"

The school sought to nip any potential violence in the bud. That's the school's right in their tiny little jurisdiction. It's everyone outside of the school feeling the need to turn it into a black & white -rather than red, white, & blue- issue.

I don't think we disagree. Everything you said is correct. What I am trying to get to the root of is the preconditioning of the kids (both sides) to act and react to something as silly as the american flag on tshirts. The resulting media freenzy and predicatable side taking of the right and left goes without saying. But it is the knowledge of and brainwashing of the PC victim mentality that caused the 4 kids to think to use the flag in a demeaning way and the mexican american kids taking and accepting the bait.

Fair enough.

Even if you impune the worst of intentions on these kids(as you do) how can the Amercin flag be "offensive" in the United States of America? Whata is intrinsically offensive about the American flag?

In fact it represents much that is great about this country.

Too many people spend their days looking to get "offended". They should grow up. And it's embarrassing that the Americn flag somehow is the variable that "offends" such fools. Guess they've solved every other failing in their lives to worry about this.

Thnaks to Night Stalker and his brothers in arms, without whom we would be having this discussion in German or Russian, if we were allowed to do so at all.

Even if you impune the worst of intentions on these kids(as you do) how can the Amercin flag be "offensive" in the United States of America? Whata is intrinsically offensive about the American flag?

To be fair, how is anything intrinsically offensive? It's only offensive when put in context.

When that symbol is perverted into a symbol of "phuck you" from one group to another group of -probably largely born in America- kids. That's what you should be more upset about, IMHO. That this small group of kids took this symbol that you hold so dear and used it in an effort to demean another group in America.

Last time I checked this was America not f-cking Mexico. Cinco De Mayo in America means throwing back a couple of Dos Equis or Coronas and getting drunk off tequila. How are you going to tell someone they can't wear an American lag on a Mexican day IN AMERICA!!!!

Last time I checked this was America not f-cking Mexico. Cinco De Mayo in America means throwing back a couple of Dos Equis or Coronas and getting drunk off tequila. How are you going to tell someone they can't wear an American lag on a Mexican day IN AMERICA!!!!

True -- you dont see this sh-t on St. Patty's day.

When that symbol is perverted into a symbol of "phuck you" from one group to another group of -probably largely born in America- kids. That's what you should be more upset about, IMHO. That this small group of kids took this symbol that you hold so dear and used it in an effort to demean another group in America.
Sorry, slats, but wah.

Only in America are people censured for wearing the flag. Who cares if those kids had an 'agenda'? I couldn't give two sh its. In fact, I think I'll go air-drop thousands of mini-American flags all over the school grounds. The students who participate in clean up day get extra credit in history class.

Sorry, slats, but wah.

Only in America are people censured for wearing the flag. Who cares if those kids had an 'agenda'? I couldn't give two sh its. In fact, I think I'll go air-drop thousands of mini-American flags all over the school grounds. The students who participate in clean up day get extra credit in history class.

So I guess you fall into the "school say flag bad - I say flag good" group, huh? Disappointing. So if one group of kids want to incite another group of kids, they're free to do so just as long as they use the American flag as a prop. Got it. It's demented, but I've got it. Seems to me, again, you should be more bent about the kids using the flag specifically to torment other kids - but whatever.

I'm 100% sure the school could've handled the issue better, but I'm also pretty confident that they targeted the right kids for discipline.

heh.

I bet 1/2 those whiny bitches snuck into the country illegally...

Who? The Irish? 'Cause I know for a fact that there's a couple boatloads of Irish illegals on the east end of LI right now. A lot of those folks out there seem to prefer white indentured servants.

Who? The Irish? 'Cause I know for a fact that there's a couple boatloads of Irish illegals on the east end of LI right now. A lot of those folks out there seem to prefer white indentured servants.

There are illegal aliens everywhere. New York is flushed with them, European, West Indian, Asian and African ones. Im talking about the MExicans in Cali bitching and moaning about the American flag tee shirt when a gross majority of them don't even have the legal right to be here.

Actually I think its time the American Unions start firing the American Union Members and all the salary/benefits/pension that comes with that, and hire illegal immigrants at minimum cost and no benefits. So far its only been minimum wage workers that have been displaced, but it time the Union focused on replacing the higher skilled, longer tenured Union workers.

Imagine the payback to us stockholders :D

Actually I think its time the American Unions start firing the American Union Members and all the salary/benefits/pension that comes with that, and hire illegal immigrants at minimum cost and no benefits. So far its only been minimum wage workers that have been displaced, but it time the Union focused on replacing the higher skilled, longer tenured Union workers.

Why not just let these illegals who pass a FBI background check join the military to EARN legal immigration status?

Why not just let these illegals who pass an FBI background check join the military to EARN legal immigration status?

Nah, I dont get ant stock profit from that.

Just like all other corporations, the Unions need to get rid of the Union members and thier salaries for lower paid help.

Slats has it too easy in his Socialist protected job ;)

I still don't understand how the american flag can be offensive. And I know this is a rhetorical question, because obviously is was used to provoke offense and was taken as such. But why????

If these four kids broke into my house and stuck a gun to my head and demanded that I come up with ideas on how to offend mexican americans, let's see ...

I don't know ... tshirts with "remember the alamo" or a picture of a burrito, or a picture of Desi Arnez cheating on Lucy ... or whatever other dopey steryotypical thing I could think of to save my life.

An american flag? Uh ... no. Would not have thought of that one.

I still don't understand how the american flag can be offensive. And I know this is a rhetorical question, because obviously is was used to provoke offense and was taken as such. But why????

If these four kids broke into my house and stuck a gun to my head and demanded that I come up with ideas on how to offend mexican americans, let's see ...

I don't know ... tshirts with "remember the alamo" or a picture of a burrito, or a picture of Desi Arnez cheating on Lucy ... or whatever other dopey steryotypical thing I could think of to save my life.

There would have been no Texas if the Alamo had a back door.

The unions aren't in position to fire union members, but don't worry, the corporations are two steps ahead of you in this regard. I joined my company sweeping floors and cleaning toilets over 20 years ago, and today those jobs no longer exist. Now they're contracted out to people I have a difficult time communicating with when I work the backshifts and need something cleaned.

I don't like it, but I haven't taken out an American flag to wave in their face in an effort to offend them, either. They're trying to feed their family just like I'm trying to feed mine. Punish the people who employ illegals, and the illegal immigration would slow down - but that'll never happen. The truth is that there are jobs Americans just don't want to do anymore, and they're happy to have their own illegal maid take care of them. My company's saving a fortune by hiring illegals, but they're buffered by hiring an American contractor - who hires illegals. And the big companies are more than happy to reap the profits of illegal immigration on one hand, and bitch about it with the other.

The unions aren't in position to fire union members, but don't worry, the corporations are two steps ahead of you in this regard. I joined my company sweeping floors and cleaning toilets over 20 years ago, and today those jobs no longer exist. Now they're contracted out to people I have a difficult time communicating with when I work the backshifts and need something cleaned.

exactly ...you get it now..Its time for Unions to move on from the lower paying jobs and save big bucks for us stockholders by replacing the longer tenured, higher salaries Union employees.

Exactly what I was pointing to. Big savings here for company and bigger savings for us stockholders. I am drooling. ;)

exactly ...you get it now..Its time for Unions to move on from the lower paying jobs and save big bucks for us stockholders by replacing the longer tenured, higher salaries Union employees.

Exactly what I was pointing to. Big savings here for company and bigger savings for us stockholders. I am drooling. ;)

Once again, you don't know who the enemy is.

I believe he was Cuban, Van buddy. :biggrin:

Archived