Kids get in trouble for wearing American flag T-shirts to school on Cinco de Mayo

Green DNA

Why not just let these illegals who pass a FBI background check join the military to EARN legal immigration status?

From what I understand from Border Patrol agents down there is most of them DON'T want to become legal immigrants or US citizens. I don't understand the logic there.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I understand from Border Patrol agents down there is most of them DON'T want to become legal immigrants or US citizens. I don't understand the logic there.

They have better medical care.

The unions aren't in position to fire union members, but don't worry, the corporations are two steps ahead of you in this regard. I joined my company sweeping floors and cleaning toilets over 20 years ago, and today those jobs no longer exist. Now they're contracted out to people I have a difficult time communicating with when I work the backshifts and need something cleaned.

I don't like it, but I haven't taken out an American flag to wave in their face in an effort to offend them, either. They're trying to feed their family just like I'm trying to feed mine. Punish the people who employ illegals, and the illegal immigration would slow down - but that'll never happen. The truth is that there are jobs Americans just don't want to do anymore, and they're happy to have their own illegal maid take care of them. My company's saving a fortune by hiring illegals, but they're buffered by hiring an American contractor - who hires illegals. And the big companies are more than happy to reap the profits of illegal immigration on one hand, and bitch about it with the other.

Once again, you are correct on most of what you say. But you seem fixated on this flag as the ultimate insult idea. Why would they be offended?

I'll tell you why. If they speak English, and have listened to Bill Maher or any of the other millions of PC propagandists, they are programmed to be offended. If they don't speak English, and are too busy working and raising families to be bothered by such nonsense as political correctness, they would probably say to themselves "what a nice young man, waving the american flag at us to welcome us".

Once again, you are correct on most of what you say. But you seem fixated on this flag as the ultimate insult idea. Why would they be offended?

I'll tell you why. If they speak English, and have listened to Bill Maher or any of the other millions of PC propagandists, they are programmed to be offended. If they don't speak English, and are too busy working and raising families to bothered by such nonsense as political correctness, they would probably say to themselves "what a nice young man, waving the american flag at us to welcome us".

Actually, they probably don't listen to Bill Maher or anyone like that. They were offended at the flag because the kids used it in an effort to offend. You could use any object, the red cross if you will. If you use it to offend, and people realize that, then it will offend. It has nothing to do with the object or their political views.

How retarded.

Actually, they probably don't listen to Bill Maher or anyone like that. They were offended at the flag because the kids used it in an effort to offend. You could use any object, the red cross if you will. If you use it to offend, and people realize that, then it will offend. It has nothing to do with the object or their political views.

There are lawsuits over here about just that. Milan has two flags. One is a snake eating a baby (check out the Alfa Romeo logo for a stylized version) the other is offensive. Milan AC wear a version as their alternate jerseys and are being sued because it's "offensive to Islam".

Turkey_Inter_FC_Jersey--200x150.jpg

There are lawsuits over here about just that. Milan has two flags. One is a snake eating a baby (check out the Alfa Romeo logo for a stylized version) the other is offensive. Milan AC wear a version as their alternate jerseys and are being sued because it's "offensive to Islam".

Turkey_Inter_FC_Jersey--200x150.jpg

Yeah, that's where they're in the wrong. The Snake eating a Muslim logo doesn't mean that any more. It's not like Milan are glorifying the Crusades in this day and age with the logo. It's just a traditional symbol from the area, so it makes sense as a logo. That's a silly lawsuit.

Originally Posted by slats viewpost.gif

The unions aren't in position to fire union members, but don't worry, the corporations are two steps ahead of you in this regard. I joined my company sweeping floors and cleaning toilets over 20 years ago, and today those jobs no longer exist. Now they're contracted out to people I have a difficult time communicating with when I work the backshifts and need something cleaned.

I don't like it, but I haven't taken out an American flag to wave in their face in an effort to offend them, either. They're trying to feed their family just like I'm trying to feed mine. Punish the people who employ illegals, and the illegal immigration would slow down - but that'll never happen. The truth is that there are jobs Americans just don't want to do anymore, and they're happy to have their own illegal maid take care of them. My company's saving a fortune by hiring illegals, but they're buffered by hiring an American contractor - who hires illegals. And the big companies are more than happy to reap the profits of illegal immigration on one hand, and bitch about it with the other.

I'll tell you why. If they speak English, and have listened to Bill Maher or any of the other millions of PC propagandists, they are programmed to be offended. If they don't speak English, and are too busy working and raising families to be bothered by such nonsense as political correctness, they would probably say to themselves "what a nice young man, waving the american flag at us to welcome us".

I don't think Slats (or those kids) were paying much attention to the Flag. They just wanted to say f-mexico, and on that day, the Flag was their tool of choice. None of those kids were patriotic by wanting to light the fire they lit, and none of the school officials were un-patriotic by simply putting the fire out. People like those kids are why this quote exists:

"Diplomacy is what you must use after you've failed to use tact" - Henry Kissinger

So I guess you fall into the "school say flag bad - I say flag good" group, huh? Disappointing. So if one group of kids want to incite another group of kids, they're free to do so just as long as they use the American flag as a prop. Got it. It's demented, but I've got it. Seems to me, again, you should be more bent about the kids using the flag specifically to torment other kids - but whatever.

I'm 100% sure the school could've handled the issue better, but I'm also pretty confident that they targeted the right kids for discipline.

No; and 'disappointing', that works both ways. I don't think you're getting ME at all. I've pretty much reached my saturation point with having to be 'sensitive' to every free floating speck in the universe. Torment other kids, please.

Diversity is part of what makes America great, and celebrating that diversity, have at it. I enjoy it and I welcome it. However, if AMERICAN KIDS - which is the point you made and then dropped - are going to get insulted over other AMERICAN KIDS sporting AMERICAN FLAGS over a FOREIGN FLAG, the scales are not tipping in Mexico's favor as far as I'm concerned. This is a prime example of the type of apologist slop I can't stand.

People love to cite the 60's and how a bunch of smelly people who didn't work, took profuse amounts of drugs and protested just to get their self-important faces in the 'establishment' newspapers changed the world, but when some kids whose state is being overrun and overburdened by people who by and large cross the border illegally, make all manner of demands, bleed the system do something as 'shameful' as using the American flag as a 'prop', people get all bent. LMAO.

This isn't like a bunch of weirdo racist skinheads wearing Confederate Flag T-shirts during Black History Month, thanks. Funny, but not at all surprising how the ACLU, who are champions of Free Speech, are resoundingly absent on this one. They're not champions of Free Speech if they don't like what's being said. Let's call a spade a spade here.

Originally Posted by slats viewpost.gif

I don't think Slats (or those kids) were paying much attention to the Flag. They just wanted to say f-mexico, and on that day, the Flag was their tool of choice. None of those kids were patriotic by wanting to light the fire they lit, and none of the school officials were un-patriotic by simply putting the fire out. People like those kids are why this quote exists:

"Diplomacy is what you must use after you've failed to use tact" - Henry Kissinger

I think we have beaten that to death. No one is arguing that the 4 kids did not intend to be offensive. My repeated question is how can the american flag ever be offensive to anyone in this country at any time? I know people do take offense to it. I know people (like these 4 kids) have used it to be offensive, because they know it will be taken as offensive. Done. Wrap that up.

I repeat. HOW can the american flag be offensive???

Since no one can answer that I will.

It is due to a politically correct environment that is out of control.

And if you can argue that conclusion, at least in your own mind, I believe you are part of the problem. Again, we are talking about the american flag. Not just some object. It is the symbol of why any immigrant (legal or illegal) should want to come to this country in the first place.

I repeat. HOW can the american flag be offensive???

And if you can argue that conclusion, at least in your own mind, I believe you are part of the problem. Again, we are talking about the american flag. Not just some object. It is the symbol of why any immigrant (legal or illegal) should want to come to this country in the first place.

And yet, in this case, it was being used as a symbol of the polar opposite of that ideal. These kids were using the flag to tell the Mexican kids they weren't American, and they weren't worthy.

Political correctness being out of control is old news. The bigger issue today is the polarization of the country. Be it left vs. right, or people of color vs. white, there's a dividing line. The backlash against political correctness has swung the pendulum too far in that direction. Now you have these so-called "real Americans," who are really primarily angry struggling middle-class white folks, directing their anger at people -lower class & non-whites- all while declaring themselves as some sort of victims. That's the joke to me - except it's not funny.

The struggling remnants of the American middle-class has a lot to be pissed off about, but directing against the people on the rung below them on the socioeconomic ladder is severely misplaced - and exactly where the people above want you to place it. It's a game the upper class has been playing and winning for generations, keeping middle and lower class whites from teaming up with blacks or native Americans (depending on the generation) against their common oppressor.

And yet, in this case, it was being used as a symbol of the polar opposite of that ideal. These kids were using the flag to tell the Mexican kids they weren't American, and they weren't worthy.

Political correctness being out of control is old news. The bigger issue today is the polarization of the country. Be it left vs. right, or people of color vs. white, there's a dividing line. The backlash against political correctness has swung the pendulum too far in that direction. Now you have these so-called "real Americans," who are really primarily angry struggling middle-class white folks, directing their anger at people -lower class & non-whites- all while declaring themselves as some sort of victims. That's the joke to me - except it's not funny.

The struggling remnants of the American middle-class has a lot to be pissed off about, but directing against the people on the rung below them on the socioeconomic ladder is severely misplaced - and exactly where the people above want you to place it. It's a game the upper class has been playing and winning for generations, keeping middle and lower class whites from teaming up with blacks or native Americans (depending on the generation) against their common oppressor.

Again, we agree on just about everything. My issue is still wondering how we got to the point where the american flag, of all things, can be effectively used in such a meant spirited manner. It takes more than intent on the part of the offenders. It also requires the acceptance of being insulted by the "victims".

And yes, political correctness may be old news. But it is getting worse and is helping to fuel all of the others problems you point out. And it is dangerous. Fortunately there was no violence and nobody got hurt in this situation. People got killed at Ft. Hood, which never would have happened if the Army doctors and officers were not afraid to call a spade a spade and deal with it.

Again, we agree on just about everything. My issue is still wondering how we got to the point where the american flag, of all things, can be effectively used in such a meant spirited manner. It takes more than intent on the part of the offenders. It also requires the acceptance of being insulted by the "victims".

I'm of largely Irish decent. As a kid, I never got the Italian kids who felt the need to wear red on St. Patrick's Day, maybe felt a little irked by it, but I was never really one to get offended, anyway.

But if on St. Patrick's Day, I were to dress up in my Joe Namath finest and my big, "Kiss Me, I'm Irish," button, hoping to cash in on a little holiday good will, only to be confronted by a bunch of so-called "American" kids wearing their American flags in a unified show to belittle my heritage - I think I might've been a little offended.

The context of this situation is that it took place in a high school, in a predominantly Mexican community. Given the pictures of the fence around the building, it would look as if maybe it's not the best neighborhood. A small group of kids decide to make a show of their superiority by donning red, white, & blue on Cinco de Mayo? Maybe it's the word "offensive" that's getting in the way here. They were certainly instigating. The school was clumsy about it, but they were right to do something to defuse the situation. A few kids upset about having to turn their t-shirts inside out is a much better situation than a few kids having the crap beat out of them -or worse- because of something they wore to school on that day.

I repeat. HOW can the american flag be offensive??

On a day that is supposed to celebrate Mexican heritage, teaming up to use the flag to say:

We're real Americans, and you're not, or **** your heritage.

Or something to that affect.

You've already conceded that the point was to offend, so, is it so crazy to attach that message to the flag on a Mexican holiday when a group of kids decide together to wear the flag when there's been no indication that this was normal behavior. Anything can take on an alternate meaning, as we've been saying all thread, it's all about the context in which you use it.

I'm of largely Irish decent. As a kid, I never got the Italian kids who felt the need to wear red on St. Patrick's Day, maybe felt a little irked by it, but I was never really one to get offended, anyway.

But if on St. Patrick's Day, I were to dress up in my Joe Namath finest and my big, "Kiss Me, I'm Irish," button, hoping to cash in on a little holiday good will, only to be confronted by a bunch of so-called "American" kids wearing their American flags in a unified show to belittle my heritage - I think I might've been a little offended.

The context of this situation is that it took place in a high school, in a predominantly Mexican community. Given the pictures of the fence around the building, it would look as if maybe it's not the best neighborhood. A small group of kids decide to make a show of their superiority by donning red, white, & blue on Cinco de Mayo? Maybe it's the word "offensive" that's getting in the way here. They were certainly instigating. The school was clumsy about it, but they were right to do something to defuse the situation. A few kids upset about having to turn their t-shirts inside out is a much better situation than a few kids having the crap beat out of them -or worse- because of something they wore to school on that day.

Except when ourt forbears left Eire, as much as they loved it, they made a very serious and important decision to become American.

In my grandparents' case, their circumstance was so dire it wasn't much of a choice. In my father-in-law's case he left the Irish Army (in which his brother was a general and tight with DeValera) and joined the US Army without ever stopping in America. And in both cases they had to have sponsors to say they would be responsible for them to not go on the dole and would return to Ireland if they decided not to become citizens. In my grandparents' case, a brother and sister did go back.

America still isn't for everyone. And if the sight of an American flag somehow on any day "offends" you, no matter what the "context", go back. I have visited Ireland,it's a beautful country filled with great people and I'm proud of my heritage. But I'm American.

Further, I am currently unaware of any Irish group like La Raza, who wants Mexico to take back the Southwest.

There are many hard-working Mexican people here legally who want to become American and work hard, and welcome to them. WOuld even concede that given the tremendous work ethic of some of the illegals,we can never get enough people like that of any background; there should be some mechansim for allowing those people to work here and obtain citizenship.

But as to troublemakers, loudmouths and whiners who want to tear down America, GTFO. And do it today. If you're so proud of your Mexican heritage and culture(which has many wonderful aspects), go back.

When that symbol is perverted into a symbol of "phuck you" from one group to another group of -probably largely born in America- kids. That's what you should be more upset about, IMHO. That this small group of kids took this symbol that you hold so dear and used it in an effort to demean another group in America.

Wearing the Arizona flag could be consider a phuck you, but how in the world does the US flag demean anyone that lives here, especially if they are largely born in America? There has to be more to the story, ie:previous fights over nationality etc. that may have some merit, otherwise it just seems like we have a group living here that despises the US so much that they cannot stand to see the flag.

On a day that is supposed to celebrate Mexican heritage, teaming up to use the flag to say:

You've already conceded that the point was to offend, so, is it so crazy to attach that message to the flag on a Mexican holiday when a group of kids decide together to wear the flag when there's been no indication that this was normal behavior. Anything can take on an alternate meaning, as we've been saying all thread, it's all about the context in which you use it.

You're Jewish right EY? Let me ask you something. If say a high school was located in a predominately Palestinian district here in the states and they were celebrating their heritage, and several kids wore the Star of David on their shirts, would you have a problem with that?

Any other "ethnic" celebration that I seen usually has both the flag of the celebrating nation and the US flag being displayed to some degree, even at Mexican events. They generally embrace both cultures. The Mexicans in this instance obviously don't want the US flag displayed, so who is saying "phuck you" to whom here? It's very easy to make assumptions of intent without knowing all the facts. There is some history of which we are not aware, which may explain the actions on all sides.

While it is their "heritage" (even though half of these people were born in the US, but whatever), they currently live in America, and if they want to represent their country so badly, go back there. It is not a national holiday in the US (or even Mexico for that matter), and I feel it is disrespectful to our country. They want to call themselves "Mexican-Americans" when there are plenty of hard-working Mexican LEGAL immigrants who would be VERY proud to call themselves Americans!

These kids were using the flag to tell the Mexican kids they weren't American, and they weren't worthy.

A small group of kids decide to make a show of their superiority by donning red, white, & blue on Cinco de Mayo?

Are these the facts or are these assumptions based upon your interpretation of the story? I'll go back and check, but I don't remember reading any of that anywhere. Is it possible that the prior day the Mexicans said "Eff the US, soon every day will be cinco de mayo" or some nonsense like that. Then maybe the American kids said eff you, we will wear the flag to fix your ass...blah blah blah.

We certainly don't know exactly what happened, but everyone is drawing their own conclusions based on limited facts. This topic would make a great a topic in social studies class.

You're Jewish right EY? Let me ask you something. If say a high school was located in a predominately Palestinian district here in the states and they were celebrating their heritage, and several kids wore the Star of David on their shirts, would you have a problem with that?

I would say the same thing I've said in this thread. That no action should be taken against the kids, but yes, the Jewish kids, were they not kids who prominently displayed Stars of David with regularly, were being dickheads on that day.

NS, you may not like most (all?) of my opinions, but I am pretty consistent, I think everyone is capable of great things, and I think everyone is capable of being a dickhead, I just call them like I see 'em. That includes my friends, family, religious circle, and even myself.

That said, what's Palestine? ;)

Any other "ethnic" celebration that I seen usually has both the flag of the celebrating nation and the US flag being displayed to some degree, even at Mexican events. They generally embrace both cultures. The Mexicans in this instance obviously don't want the US flag displayed, so who is saying "phuck you" to whom here? It's very easy to make assumptions of intent without knowing all the facts. There is some history of which we are not aware, which may explain the actions on all sides.

I don't think the Mexican kids were petitioning to have the American Flag taken down in the school that day.

Are these the facts or are these assumptions based upon your interpretation of the story? I'll go back and check, but I don't remember reading any of that anywhere. Is it possible that the prior day the Mexicans said "Eff the US, soon every day will be cinco de mayo" or some nonsense like that. Then maybe the American kids said eff you, we will wear the flag to fix your ass...blah blah blah.

We certainly don't know exactly what happened, but everyone is drawing their own conclusions based on limited facts. This topic would make a great a topic in social studies class.

Yeah, it's possible that the Mexicans said a million things before. However, the story is all we have to go by, and if you go by the story, the kids, as I've stated before, and many here agree, it looks a lot like these kids were doing this as an F-U. It almost sounds like you agree but are looking for more back story to make it ok?

If more 'facts' come out, I'm willing to change my opinion. Until that happens, I'll stick w/ the print.

I would say the same thing I've said in this thread. That no action should be taken against the kids, but yes, the Jewish kids, were they not kids who prominently displayed Stars of David with regularly, were being dickheads on that day.

NS, you may not like most (all?) of my opinions, but I am pretty consistent, I think everyone is capable of great things, and I think everyone is capable of being a dickhead, I just call them like I see 'em. That includes my friends, family, religious circle, and even myself.

That said, what's Palestine? ;)

No, believe it or not, I agree with most of your opinions. The only time I have a problem with one's opinion is if I have first hand knowledge and someone who doesn't, wants to debate me just for the sake of debate is when I have an issue.

The American flag represents allot of different things to allot of different people. As a representation of the principles of the declaration of independence and the Constitution the flag shouldn't offend anyone who has any feelings about those principles. The reality is the flag at different times in history is a representaion of more than an ideal but it's also a representation of the reality on the ground.

The US is highly polarized and practically in Civil War and has been since the 60's with a very short period under Regan and the fall of the Soviet Union of continuing to be that way. Symbols like the flag tend to be used during times of extreme polirization and I don't believe that is at all about political correctness.

The failure to control our borders or have a reasonable immigration policy coupled with our need for migrants and our current high unemployement, State and local government financial squeeze tends to create a flamable situation. The flag as a symbol of that polirization is certainly real to many people.

This is about way more than political correctness this is about the deep divisions in our country and the failure to address them over a long time frame.

The American flag represents allot of different things to allot of different people. As a representation of the principles of the declaration of independence and the Constitution the flag shouldn't offend anyone who has any feelings about those principles. The reality is the flag at different times in history is a representaion of more than an ideal but it's also a representation of the reality on the ground.

The US is highly polarized and practically in Civil War and has been since the 60's with a very short period under Regan and the fall of the Soviet Union of continuing to be that way. Symbols like the flag tend to be used during times of extreme polirization and I don't believe that is at all about political correctness.

The failure to control our borders or have a reasonable immigration policy coupled with our need for migrants and our current high unemployement, State and local government financial squeeze tends to create a flamable situation. The flag as a symbol of that polirization is certainly real to many people.

This is about way more than political correctness this is about the deep divisions in our country and the failure to address them over a long time frame.

Hey, winston. I think you're slicing it and dicing more than necessary, but points taken. What a lot of people fail to realize is that countries - INCLUDING MEXICO - have stiffer policies regarding their OWN borders. Building a fence, especially in light of the money our King is throwing by the fistfuls everywhere, fully manned and armed, would pay for itself in a far shorter time than people realize. But see, the fence idea, the American economy continues to get raped because, hey, a fence is downright offensive. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings! That there? Our death knell in general terms. It's fukking ridiculous, and we wonder why we've been taken advantage of. Which we are - and whose fault is that?

While I certainly agree that the immigration process should be simplified, why are people who disagree with others waltzing in ("These are law abiding, hard-working people!") so incensed all the time when the first thing they've done by virtue of waltzing in is against the law? If it wasn't so sad, it would be laughable. That aside, there are a lot of brutal, brutal monsters out there who rape, ruin, and murder people, keep them indentured for years courtesy of human trafficking to get into the country many people love to hate, but that's a digression for another day.

I'm with Chuck Krauthammer (whom I love). You don't gather up people like sheep, break up families, and ship them back. You stop the bleeding at its source first and foremost: a fence at the border. Then, illegals who aren't felons pay a fine and go through the naturalization process. It isn't rocket science. Didn't you know that you're a closet racist by implication (when you've got nothing left, pull the race card - cheap, but always available) if you get annoyed with the idea of illegals who work the system - and many of them do - pushing a sense of entitlement they've done nothing to earn?

Imagine if I went to another country illegally and then said, "Gimme this, gimme that, including citizenship, health benefits, public assistance, everything, you racist. By the way, I don't even have a passport. I just blew in and decided to stay for good." Bahaha. Guess where I'm going? Home or jail.

The fact that many Mexicans are carrying on how racist we all are - ALL of us - I have some choice words. I couldn't give a rat's ass about your ethnic background. If the U.S. shared a border with fukking Lichtenstein, my feelings would be exactly the same. And, who says it's only Mexicans who are guilty? Try the WHITE IRISH CATHOLICS ILLEGALS IN NEW YORK CITY, the Chinese, the Eastern Europeans, you name it. It isn't a race thing, but give bigots on both sides something to run with and off they go.

Oh, and one more thing, because it's PRETTY BIG AND OBVIOUS: this is also A NATIONAL SECURITY ISSUE. Gasp! What rubes people are if they don't think terrorists who wish us harm aren't hyper aware how easy it is from the Canadian border as well as the south to get in here. They take pretty good notes. "Easy to get in and disappear...let me write that down." Islamic terrorists, their favorite route these days is via Brazil. They hand-pick whoever looks Latino, groom them, give them Brazilian passports...I won't bore you folks with hard facts. It's too incendiary.

=jetophile;1580795]Hey, winston.

Who the F is Winston?

If the U.S. shared a border with fukking Lichtenstein, my feelings would be exactly the same.

I live in CT and I feel the same way about people from NJ.

I just want to say this was a good thread. I don't think anyone was persuaded to the other side of their opinion, but we had a good discussion with a lot of good points from both sides. Pretty civil. No one got hurt. 240 posts with no locking from the admins.

If only the world could follow the noble example of Jets fans, it would be a better place. :cheers:

I just want to say this was a good thread. I don't think anyone was persuaded to the other side of their opinion, but we had a good discussion with a lot of good points from both sides. Pretty civil. No one got hurt. 240 posts with no locking from the admins.

If only the world could follow the noble example of Jets fans, it would be a better place. :cheers:

Tom Brady is gay.

Whatever.

In other gay fukking news, the wetback drop outs went all protest and sh it. They knocked an American flag out of someone's hand as they were waving it at their teenage retarded angst Mexico First Parade and the police didn't know how to diffuse it and California is fukking gay. I mean, tons of faggots live there, isn't that the gayest state ever - even if you're not gay? I'll be here all night.

What we really need in this faggoty thread are some bombs. Bombs, bombs and more bombs! California, who needs it. Buncha flakes, anyway. Bombs away!

When you say bombs do you mean actual bombs or fake boobs? Because sometimes I call big old fake boobies, "bombs".

Archived