Braylon Edwards will be the best WR in the division...

SenorGato

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ How can you underrate him, if his job is to catch footballs? He's a good blocker, but his hands are pathetic.

They are and they aren't. A guy like Becht (he just sticks out in my head) had pathetic hands.

With Edwards it's either concentration or he needs contact lenses. But a guy with "pathetic" hands could never make the impossible circus catches he hauls in.

A player like Becht could never become a great receiver (even as a TE). Someone like Edwards could be great.

^ How can you underrate him, if his job is to catch footballs? He's a good blocker, but his hands are pathetic.

I understand, but lets see how he fares this year with a whole training camp to play with Sanchez.

EDIT: Not to mention, he wasn't exactly getting that many looks last year with our run heavy offense. Lets see what happens when there's some rhythm this year(hopefully).

They are and they aren't. A guy like Becht (he just sticks out in my head) had pathetic hands.

With Edwards it's either concentration or he needs contact lenses. But a guy with "pathetic" hands could never make the impossible circus catches he hauls in.

A player like Becht could never become a great receiver (even as a TE). Someone like Edwards could be great.

I understand, but lets see how he fares this year with a whole training camp to play with Sanchez.

EDIT: Not to mention, he wasn't exactly getting that many looks last year with our run heavy offense. Lets see what happens when there's some rhythm this year(hopefully).

People said the same thing when he was in Cleveland. The guy has all the tools to dominate IMO, but either you want it or you don't, maybe he'll have a huge year for the contract but I'm not holding my breath. I'm through with the 'potential' aspect with BE, like I said he's been in the league to long, I hope I'm wrong along with all the other stuff I've written about this coming season.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he fares with a whole off season with the team under his belt. His biggest issue is the drops, though, and that has little to do with training camp.

Holmes drops some passes, too, but I still think he's the better receiver. Edwards is also learning the z position this year so Holmes can move into his more familiar x position. Cotchery probably knows all three pretty well, and will probably play the x until Holmes comes back from suspension - I'd think. If they move Edwards from x to z five weeks in, that could mess with him, too.

Marshall is one of the most overrated players in the game. We'll see how he comes back from this latest hip surgery when he's lined up against anyone but Revis - who will shut his ass down.

1. Moss

2. Welker

3. Holmes

4. Cotchery

5. Evans

Marshall is crap and Edwards is a crap version of Marshall.

Not to start the great debate again, but every receiver listed under Welker would be similar in the Pats system...IMO.

With his knee, I dont even know if I'd put him on the list to be honest.

Come on dude, you know damn well that there's a 50/50 shot Moss goes Vince Carter on his teammates this year.

Please. Vince Carter has always been an overrated pos...Moss is one of the greatest of all time. Vince sucking is not by choice. He just sucks. Moss is the best in the game when he wants to be.

Holmes drops some passes, too, but I still think he's the better receiver. Edwards is also learning the z position this year so Holmes can move into his more familiar x position. Cotchery probably knows all three pretty well, and will probably play the x until Holmes comes back from suspension - I'd think. If they move Edwards from x to z five weeks in, that could mess with him, too.

One throwaway line from Rex and all of a sudden we're drowning in alphabet soup. The primary difference between the x and z receivers as pertains to our receivers is really just the fact that the split end lines up on the line of scrimmage and has to fight off jams while the flanker has a buffer. Implications fairly obvious.

One throwaway line from Rex and all of a sudden we're drowning in alphabet soup. The primary difference between the x and z receivers as pertains to our receivers is really just the fact that the split end lines up on the line of scrimmage and has to fight off jams while the flanker has a buffer. Implications fairly obvious.

It's more than that, though. It's a matter of learning the playbook for one position on the field or two. Not just understanding what the other players' responsibilities are, but being able to step right in and perform them yourself.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he fares with a whole off season with the team under his belt. His biggest issue is the drops, though, and that has little to do with training camp.

Marshall is one of the most overrated players in the game. We'll see how he comes back from this latest hip surgery when he's lined up against anyone but Revis - who will shut his ass down.

What do these receivers all have in common?

Santonio Holmes

Dallas Clark

Antonio Gates

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshall

Randy Moss

Hines Ward

Wes Welker

They all dropped more passes than Edwards last year. Granted, they all had more pass attempts, and the ones Edwards seems to like dropping the most are TD's. The guy needs to hold the ball better than he has to date, but there are elite pass-catchers who drop passes at a rate of one every other game (or more).

It was a concern of mine before we traded for him (particularly when people suggested we fork over a first or a 2nd plus a 4th for him). Hopefully the light goes on. He's certainly talented enough to be a top-5 receiver. He'll probably never be that, but if he could eke his way into the top 10 or 12 he's a keeper just from his enormous potential and the attention he draws from defenders. Not to mention we already have him.

Of course that also depends on his demands as well. He's worth a roster spot on any NFL team. He's not worth a roster spot and $9M+ per season if that's what he still wants. Not at this stage of his career anyway.

Santonio Holmes

Dallas Clark

Antonio Gates

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshall

Randy Moss

Hines Ward

Wes Welker

They all dropped more passes than Edwards last year. Granted, they all had more pass attempts, and the ones Edwards seems to like dropping the most are TD's.

I don't want to bash on the guy, because I'm legitimately very happy to have him. But who'd be on top of that list in drops per attempt?

Or do I not want to know?

Santonio Holmes

Dallas Clark

Antonio Gates

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshall

Randy Moss

Hines Ward

Wes Welker

They all dropped more passes than Edwards last year.

Know what else they have in common? They're all better than he is. Counting stats make you feel better but they'll never change the fact that Braylon's production, like Marshall's, comes at the cost of a ton of bad outcomes. Even during his supposedly great but actually not even good 2007 season, Edwards failed to catch 73 of the balls thrown his way. That's zero yards and loss of down at best four or five times a game. I don't understand how the impact of that is so persistently ignored.

Its amazing how much people underrate Edwards.

and on the contrary its amazing how much people overrate Brandon Marshall. the dude has had surgery on both hips, that's normal if you are granny... not NFL WR.

there were boneheads on the message boards (you know who you are) who wouldn't shut up about the Jets trading for Brandon Marshall.

Could you imagine the outrage if Tanny traded 2 2nd round picks and signed BM for 50Mil and then he gets secret hip surgery? it would be bedlam.

Uh, yeah, I'm joking......yeeeeah, that's the ticket. I was joking all along.

Why on earth would you think Johnson has a high drops/A? In 2008 he was targeted on 171 throws and wasn't even in the top 20 in raw drops. Last year (using PFF charting numbers, which I've generally found not to be quite as good as FO's) he dropped nine on 152 throws. It's just amazingly wrong.

Archived