Jets-Phins: Best Combined 53-Man Roster

rick34125

new_york_jets_v_miami_dolphins_0d6pkjkuui9l_medium.jpg

Ok, just to have a little fun (feels like forever until training camp) I made my best 53-man roster using players from the NY Jets and the Miami Dolphins current rosters.

I assigned 24 roster spots for offense, 26 for defense and 3 for special teams. Overall Miami claimed 24 spots and New York claimed 29. New York also had more starters with 14 compared with 11 for Miami.

Some might prefer choosing more or less depth at certain positions, but this is a pretty standard roster, so it is what it is.

Miami got the benefit of the doubt in a number of cases where experience and/or uncertainty were factors, like at the QB & RB positions and special teams.

Also, in choosing a roster, versatility can be a greater asset than being very good at one position. For example, I like Jake Long starting at LT, but then what about D'Brickashaw Ferguson? It seems a little extravagant to have a second elite tackle on the roster. On the other hand he's too good to leave off. So again it is what it is.

Offense - 24/53 Players --- Phins: 5 starters, 11 players overall --- Jets: 6 starters, 13 players overall

Pos Starter 2nd 3rd

QB - Chad Henne Mark Sanchez Chad Pennington

RB - Ronnie Brown Shonn Greene Ricky Williams

FB - Tony Richardson Lousaka Polite

WR - Brandon Marshall Santonio Holmes Brian Hartline

TE - Dustin Keller Anthony Fasano

LT - Jake Long D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG - John Jerry Robert Turner

C - Nick Mangold Jake Grove

RG - Brandon Moore

RT - Damien Woody

WR - Braylon Edwards Jerricho Cotchery Brad Smith

Defense - 26/53 Players --- Phins: 3 starters, 10 players overall --- Jets: 8 starters, 16 players overall

Pos Starter 2nd 3rd

LDE - Shawn Ellis Kendall Langford

NT - Kris Jenkins Sione Pouha

RDE - Randy Starks Jared Odrick Mike DeVito

LOLB - Bryan Thomas Charlie Anderson Jason Taylor

LILB - Karlos Dansby Bart Scott

RILB - David Harris Channing Crowder

ROLB - Calvin Pace Cameron Wake

CB - Darrelle Revis Vontae Davis Dwight Lowery

SS - Yeremiah Bell Jim Leonhard

FS - Brodney Pool Eric Smith

CB - Antonio Cromartie Sean Smith Kyle Wilson

Special Teams - 3/53 Players --- Phins: 3 starters, 3 players overall --- Jets: 0 starters, 0 players overall

Pos Starter

PK - Dan Carpenter

P - Brandon Fields

LS - John Denney

you might need reading glasses.

Why?

Brandon Marshall and Edwards are assumed to be the starters since they are listed first in the 2 WR slots. After them are Holmes and Cotch.

He saw the list correctly.

Or is it presented inaccurately?

QB - Sanchez

RB - Brown

FB - Whocares

OL - D'Brick

OL - Carey

OL - Mangold

OL - Moore

OL - Long

WR - Marshall (ugh)

WR - Cotchery

WR - Edwards

TE - Keller

TE - Fasano

DL - Ellis/Langford - IMO they're about equal, but Ellis has been in the league 10 years. Langford's really good...

DL - Jenkins/Pouha

DL - Starks/DeVito

OLB - Pace/Wake

ILB - Dansby

ILB - Scott

OLB - Thomas/Tayloy

CB - Revis

CB - Davis

CB - Smith

S - Leonhard

S - Bell

The safeties are pretty meh...

players shmayers..

its a team game predicated on jelling at right time of year.

In that case I take the Jets and the AFC title game run showing the Jets have a organization in place with the schemed players able to put together the wins at end of year when it counts..

my 2 cents..

QB - Chad Henne Mark Sanchez Chad Pennington

Pennington is on his 3rd rotator cuff rehab, Thigpen is a better Qb than he is.

Henne over Sanchez - is this Armondo from the Miami Hearld?

RB - Ronnie Brown Shonn Greene Ricky Williams

Brown is recovering from a very serious Lisfranc injury which can potentially be a career-ending injury and he's 31 years old.

FB - Tony Richardson Lousaka Polite

The terminator will turn out to be the best FB in the division this year.

WR - Brandon Marshall Santonio Holmes Brian Hartline

This might be closer than you think.

TE - Dustin Keller Anthony Fasano

LT - Jake Long D'Brickashaw Ferguson

I give the nod to Brick.

LG - John Jerry Robert Turner

Vlad could turn out to be better than these JAG's

C - Nick Mangold Jake Grove

RG - Brandon Moore

RT - Damien Woody

WR - Braylon Edwards Jerricho Cotchery Brad Smith

Defense - 26/53 Players --- Phins: 3 starters, 10 players overall --- Jets: 8 starters, 16 players overall

Pos Starter 2nd 3rd

LDE - Shawn Ellis Kendall Langford

NT - Kris Jenkins Sione Pouha

RDE - Randy Starks Jared Odrick Mike DeVito

LOLB - Bryan Thomas Charlie Anderson Jason Taylor

LILB - Karlos Dansby Bart Scott

No way.

RILB - David Harris Channing Crowder

ROLB - Calvin Pace Cameron Wake

CB - Darrelle Revis Vontae Davis Dwight Lowery

SS - Yeremiah Bell Jim Leonhard

wrong again

FS - Brodney Pool Eric Smith

CB - Antonio Cromartie Sean Smith Kyle Wilson

Special Teams - 3/53 Players --- Phins: 3 starters, 3 players overall --- Jets: 0 starters, 0 players overall

Pos Starter

PK - Dan Carpenter

P - Brandon Fields

LS - John Denney

The fins are really weak on talent.

Great idea for a thread man, thats why Im gonna forgive you for putting Cromartie ahead of Vontae. Putting Woody ahead of Carey is unforgiveable though. Randy Starks has been switched to NT btw. I'll take Fasano over Keller but only b/c I prefer TEs who are goood run blockers to good pass catchers. Gotta have my boy Lousaka at FB, and I think Langford is the best DE on either team. Other than that, good ish. I think overall you have more talent, but we have more depth. Cant wait to settle it on the field though.

Henne's better thats why. I was wondering why Sanchez is ahead of Pennington. Do injuries count?

Keep on thinking that.

Miami Dolphins beat the Jags in Week 14 to go 7-6. They moved up to the No. 6 seed and controllled their own playoff destiny. At that point Henne had 9 TDs and 9 INTs.

The Fins lost their last 3 games and failed to make the playoffs.

Henne threw 3 TDs and 5 INTs in those last 3 games.

In fact, in Henne's last 6 starts, the Fins went 2-4 and Henne had 6 TDs and 10 INTs.

Henne was bad down the stretch when the Fins needed him most. People criticize Sanchez, but Sanchez didn't have the benefit of already being in an NFL system for a year like Henne did.

Also, 124 pointed this out elsewhere: Henne was 1-7 in games against Ohio State and Bowl Games in college. He's the poser child for small-time QBs.

You could pick any of the four tackles, you're talking about 4 of the best 7 or so in the league. Both teams are great there.

I wouldn't take Brown over Greene or Ricky.

Henne and Sanchez is a wash.

WR's - Holmes and Marshall would start, Cotch in the slot. Fassano would start ahead of Keller.

Jets would dominate the defense, I'd start Taylor over Thomas. Davis and Starks would be the only starter for the Phins, although I'd rotate Pouha in at 3-4 DE.

Ronnie Brown #1 at running back? The guy just started running agian...not saying Greene shoud be 1st, but Brown has as many unanswered questons this off season as Greene does..

Ronnie hasn't missed a single OTA. He's been running for a while.

Ronnie hasn't missed a single OTA. He's been running for a while.

we are talking about actually running on the field, not from the cops..

Sanchez hasn't missed any OTA's either but I don't think he is ready for game time

we are talking about actually running on the field, not from the cops..

Sanchez hasn't missed any OTA's either but I don't think he is ready for game time

In your original post you claimed that Ronnie had just started running. That simply isn't true and I pointed it out.

In your original post you claimed that Ronnie had just started running. That simply isn't true and I pointed it out.

If he was ready to perform as he has in the past the phags would have signed him to an extension. But Parcells and company haven't because he hasn't proved anything to them as of yet, including running at speed. And thats what my original post was about, the fact that he shouldn't be rated #1, even on his own team, when no-one knows for sure what he has to offer

Is the conversation really about Cotchery? I was wondering why Sanchez would back up Henne.

at this point in time i went with actual evidence. sanchez had a good finish to last season and i think he will be the better QB, but henne's stats were better and his being the starter over sanchez is more defendable.

I'm wondering how Turner makes it. The Jets apparently have two guys they prefer at LG already.

i left out ducasse because he's unproven same with slauson. from this you can see the phins don't have much o-line depth and our starters are clearly better.

QB - Sanchez

RB - Brown

FB - Whocares

OL - D'Brick

OL - Carey

OL - Mangold

OL - Moore

OL - Long

WR - Marshall (ugh)

WR - Cotchery

WR - Edwards

TE - Keller

TE - Fasano

DL - Ellis/Langford - IMO they're about equal, but Ellis has been in the league 10 years. Langford's really good...

DL - Jenkins/Pouha

DL - Starks/DeVito

OLB - Pace/Wake

ILB - Dansby

ILB - Scott

OLB - Thomas/Tayloy

CB - Revis

CB - Davis

CB - Smith

S - Leonhard

S - Bell

The safeties are pretty meh...

harris > dansby and scott

cromartie > davis and smith

pool over leonhard

players shmayers..

its a team game predicated on jelling at right time of year.

In that case I take the Jets and the AFC title game run showing the Jets have a organization in place with the schemed players able to put together the wins at end of year when it counts..

my 2 cents..

no doubt. this is like fantasy leagues. helps ease the pain of the offseason :)

Archived