best secondaries heading into the 2010 season

villain_the_foe

I dont understand how the Jets werent #1 in this category. Check out the link to see the stat breakdown. Hilarious.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

" 1. Packers -- They have three excellent corners in Woodson, Williams and Harris. They had outstanding production from their safeties last year and added one in the draft. They got 24 interceptions from their starters last year, despite ranking only 11th in sacks.

2. Jets -- They might have been No. 1 if they had kept Rhodes. They are great at corner with Revis and Cromartie, and in the nickel with Lowery or rookie Wilson. They will be a top dime defense. They had the fewest sacks of the five teams that made this list with 31, but they were tops in completion percentage defense and yards per pass attempt allowed.

3. Saints -- Depth makes their secondary very attractive. They score fast on offense and most teams are playing catch-up against them, so nickel and dime defenses are critical. Tracey Porter, Jabari Greer, rookie Patrick Robinson, and Jenkins make their corner depth excellent. Sharper is joined by Roman Harper and Usama Young at safety. The Saints saw 73 more passes than the Jets did in 2009 and 34 more than the Packers, which affected the stats.

4. Bengals -- A terrific pair of starting corners (Hall and Joseph), a solid corner pickup in the draft (Ghee), and underrated safeties Chris Crocker and Chinedum Ndukwe make up a solid secondary. Roy Williams has a place in the secondary, but they may be better off without him. The Bengals generated only 34 sacks last year and that number should improve this season, thus helping the secondary.

5. Bills -- I can't believe they let defensive coordinator Perry Fewell go this offseason. They had the second-ranked pass defense, nabbed 28 interceptions, which was second to Green Bay's 30, and only allowed 14 touchdown passes."

WTF is wrong with Dolphins fans. I mean at least Pats fans have a grip on freakin reality. There's actually a guy commenting in that thread arguing that Fins secondary should be in the top 3. W T F. They are such homers. There's nothing wrong with seeing the strengths of your team but they are OBNOXIOUS in the way they ignore reality.

If commentators were convinced that Cromartie would play to his potential the Jets would be listed at number one. But you can't blame them for doubting the guy. Its not an anti-Jet conspiracy.

I wouldnt say that it was a conspiracy, though thats my middle name :-), but though Cromartie hasnt been back to his elite form from 07 he's much better than Lito Shepperd. So if they dont think Cro will play at his potential (which is one of the best in the league) his play has still been much better and consistent than Lito which was our #2 Last year.

Whats worse is that they actually use Kerry as the excuse. Now I dont want to sound like that guy who is a Kerry basher all of a sudden, but Kerry did nothing last year so how could they even factor that?

I wouldnt call it a conspiracy, just stupidity. Especially when the Jets gave up only 8 TD's the entire season and the team whos supposed to be better gave up damn near 30.

I don't agree with the Packers being #1, but I don't think the Jets HAVE to be ranked first either. Honestly, last year our pass defense was great, but based on two things: scheme and Revis. Sheppard sucked, Rhodes played like a bitch most of the year and Leonhard was good, but certainly not elite. Cromartie should be a big upgrade over Sheppard, but doesn't get the benefit of the doubt until he shows the past two years were what he and the Jets coaching staff say it was. If healthy, I truly believe Pool will be better this year than Rhodes was last year, but Rhodes certainly has the bigger name and is known as the better player of the two, which counts for everything in these kind of rankings. The Jets secondary should be very good, but I'm not sure they have to be #1 or its some kind of massive insult.

That said, the Jets secondary is a crapload better than the Packers. As are the other secondaries on that list.

I don't agree with the Packers being #1, but I don't think the Jets HAVE to be ranked first either. Honestly, last year our pass defense was great, but based on two things: scheme and Revis. Sheppard sucked, Rhodes played like a bitch most of the year and Leonhard was good, but certainly not elite. Cromartie should be a big upgrade over Sheppard, but doesn't get the benefit of the doubt until he shows the past two years were what he and the Jets coaching staff say it was. If healthy, I truly believe Pool will be better this year than Rhodes was last year, but Rhodes certainly has the bigger name and is known as the better player of the two, which counts for everything in these kind of rankings. The Jets secondary should be very good, but I'm not sure they have to be #1 or its some kind of massive insult.

That said, the Jets secondary is a crapload better than the Packers. As are the other secondaries on that list.

Agreed. Plus POOL will prove himself to be better then Kerry Rhodes . But first we have to do it on the field. We Jets fans strongly believe that our secondary is #1. They will prove it!

I'm OK with the Jets not being #1 (but hell, they were ranked #1.. so... kinda follows), but it's one thing to not be #1, it's quite another to be behind the freakin Packers.

GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK.

That team allowed half as many passing touchdowns in that 1 game against the Cardinals as we did ALL SEASON. I repeat ALL, as in the whole, as in the entire, full SEASON.

I don't care if it's someone else like the Saints, the Bengals, whatever, as long as they don't have ABSURD stats like that.

On whose paper, Kerry's?

Rhodes > Pool

Pool's hoping to be Rhodes in this D....Leonhard's best season was pretty much the equal of the seasons Rhodes did "nothing" in, but since he's little and white he's obviously trying harder and therefore more worthy of our praise.

Our corners are really strong, but unless Lowery steps up as a safety or Pool stays healthy I think we're a little weak there. Our strength at safety is that Leonhard is smart, durable, and does his job. Other than that it's bodies and possible talent/upside.

Rhodes > Pool

Pool's hoping to be Rhodes in this D....Leonhard's best season was pretty much the equal of the seasons Rhodes did "nothing" in, but since he's little and white he's obviously trying harder and therefore more worthy of our praise.

Our corners are really strong, but unless Lowery steps up as a safety or Pool stays healthy I think we're a little weak there. Our strength at safety is that Leonhard is smart, durable, and does his job. Other than that it's bodies and possible talent/upside.

Two seasons in a row Leonhard played better in the playoffs than the regular season. I think he knows his body can't handle going all out for a whole season and so he holds back until the playoffs. If he plays better in the playoffs for the third year in a row it will be time for people to recognize a trend going on. Anyway, if he keeps producing when it counts I can live with his limitations.

Whatever Leonhard's "physical limitations" are, the fact is that he plays a CRUCIAL part in this D.

Its not just about making plays, its directing traffic and understanding the playbook that makes Leonhard an excellent safety. Leonhard is as important to Rex's D as Doug Plank was for Buddy Ryan when he invented the 46 defense.

Trying to compare Leonhard to classic underachiever Kerry Rhodes is apples and oranges. Pool is replacing Rhodes, and I think he'll do a fine job. He is nearly as physically gifted as Rhodes and has a helluva lot better football IQ and work ethic.

Two seasons in a row Leonhard played better in the playoffs than the regular season. I think he knows his body can't handle going all out for a whole season and so he holds back until the playoffs. If he plays better in the playoffs for the third year in a row it will be time for people to recognize a trend going on. Anyway, if he keeps producing when it counts I can live with his limitations.

+1

Leonhard was pretty damn good in the playoffs and just went OFF in that charger game.

This may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

This may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

No, it makes perfect sense. Leonhard would be small for a cornerback and he's playing safety. So he is physically limited. He clearly doesn't play as hard during the regular season as he does during the playoffs and that shows up in his stats. A good example is that hit Leonhard had in the playoffs where his helmet came off. Hits like that were not a common occurrence for Leonhard during the regular season.

No, it makes perfect sense. Leonhard would be small for a cornerback and he's playing safety. So he is physically limited. He clearly doesn't play as hard during the regular season as he does during the playoffs and that shows up in his stats. A good example is that hit Leonhard had in the playoffs where his helmet came off. Hits like that were not a common occurrence for Leonhard during the regular season.

And again, that's a retarded statement. The "stat sheet" doesn't come close to demonstrating how important Leonhard is to our D, both in the regular season AND the postseason.

But if you really want to see him making plays in the preseason, just see the video below (If you also need me to pull up some highlights from his 2008 season in Baltimore, I will):

0:39 mark (coming off the edge on the blitz, pressuring Brady into an INT)

1:36 mark (INT & return against Raiders)

3:03 mark (hustling to make a block on an INT return in a game that was already over against TB)

3:32 mark (coming in on blitz to help force Palmer INT in regular season finale)

6xLbqNJWESY

And again, that's a retarded statement. The "stat sheet" doesn't come close to demonstrating how important Leonhard is to our D, both in the regular season AND the postseason.

But if you really want to see him making plays in the preseason, just see the video below (If you also need me to pull up some highlights from his 2008 season in Baltimore, I will):

Did you actually watch the 2008 Raven's regular season? Tell the truth. Don't tell me stats don't tell everything and then talk about games you didn't even watch.

For the last two years Leonhard has played much better in the playoffs than during the regular season. The stats back it up and watching him play backs it up. There is no intelligent reason to deny this. Regular season Leonhard is nothing special, which should be expected. I can't think of one other 5'8'' safety in the NFL.

Did you actually watch the 2008 Raven's regular season? Tell the truth. Don't tell me stats don't tell everything and then talk about games you didn't even watch.

Why the hell would I watch Ravens games? All I said was that I could pull up highlights of the 2008 Ravens showing a very active Jim Leonhard, one you think doesn't even exist.

I made an assumption that, since he made plays for the Jets in 2009 and that Rex brought him over to the Jets for a reason, that he was similarly involved with the Ravens in 2008. After all, Ravens fans didn't create a facebook group with thousands of members called "Jim Leonhard: Half God, half man" and hated to lose him because he's an average safety.

Well, here you go!

IQh3PngyyWw

And in the video below....

0:55 mark (INT TD vs. Bengals)

1:35 (helping spring Reed for a long INT TD)

3:26 (forced fumble against the Redskins leading to another Reed TD)

pPu4CktIP6k

The Jets had the #1 pass defense in the league last year but the secondary was completely embarrassed vs. the Colts in the AFC Championship game last year.

I think that game alone leaves the Jets with a lot to prove. That being said, this is the best group of DB's in the league. Pool/Lowery at S is going to be a huge upgrade over Rhodes. For all his hype he's been a step slow for the past couple of years and was never the same player post-contract extension.

Archived