The Official Jets On Hard Knocks Thread

Maxman

I'm breaking faith with Rex Ryan. There's some phoniness to him that I didn't see before. And Sanchez is a total douche bag and sucks but Rex keeps sticking with him. Same with this business of building up John Conner.

Guys like KC and Lav Coles have more class than the entire Jet FO and CS put together and they get treated like dog crap. Then meat lover Sanchez is the golden boy and can do no wrong. 8-8 is the future. Rex won't admit he was wrong about Sanchez and Sanchez doesn't have the ability. SOJ never left us at all. Benigno was right.

:face:

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh, yeah. No sacks this preseason. The post I quoted said he gave up three. He didn't. He's also playing with 4 out of 5 lineman either new to the team or new to their position. Slauson and Ducasse are lining up between two guys that played in the pro bowl last year. And boy have they given up sacks. OMFG! FTW!

But hey, we're Jets Fans. No sense in letting reality get in the way. We do absolutely everything right all the time. Must be why we're perenial Super Bowl champs.

Then what was the reason for Faneca letting up the most sacks by an interior lineman last year playing between those same two Pro Bowlers? On a team that passed the fewest times I might add ;)

I get cutting Faneca and TJones. Guys were scheduled to make a lot of money, and their skills are clearly on the decline. Teams have to get younger to stay competitive. In the case of Jones, they got a little older with LT, but so far he looks like an upgrade for less money. Can't argue with that, either.

But these penny pinching moves with Coles and Clemens are just bullsh*t in an uncapped year. And from the looks of things, Tanny really wants to cut TRich, too. It's amazing to hear the coaches compain about a lack of locker room leadership while simultaneously cutting a guy like Coles because the NFL minimum is too much for them to guarantee. That amount of money is not supposed to matter! That's why, in capped years, teams get credit for tenured veterans making the minimum - so the vets don't lose their jobs in a cap numbers crunch. If TRich was watching last night, he's got to love his coach, but he's also got to be thinking WTF when it comes to the organization.

And Clemens is just too nice a guy. They've treated him like crap. First they put an RFA tag on him so he can't test the market, he signs in good faith, and then the Jets cut his pay nearly in half. Really? But watching him last night, he's saying he likes Tannenbaum? Most guys would want to wring Tanny neck at that point! laugh.gif He might actually be back next year. Who knows?

These are cheap-a$ moves, though, that make no sense in an uncapped year. I used to think that Bitonti was being something of a conspiracy theorist with his money talk, but then I read (I think in the NYPost) that the Jets may be on the list of most valuable franchises, but they're also the most financially leveraged team in the NFL. It's clear that some of these moves are not football moves. Flies in the face of Rex's Super Bowl or bust talk.

The Jets got younger by going from Jones to LT2, not older. Jones is a year older than Tomlinson.

I didn't like the money-move with Clemens either, but the truth is that's because I likely look at it differently than the team is. They - stupidly IMO - still look at Brunell as the clear-cut #2 QB. A team doesn't pay its #3 QB $1.2M, even in an uncapped season, when they feel the #1 and #2 jobs are etched in stone. I have a problem with it mostly because I don't believe that #2 guy SHOULD be etched in stone, or even on any NFL roster anymore. My other issue with it is even if I give the team the benefit of the doubt in feeling Brunell is the superior QB behind Sanchez, anyone with eyes realizes he isn't that superior to anyone. A team with SB aspirations this season should realize that if Sanchez gets hurt for an extended period of time that Mark Brunell is no slam-dunk solution. He could lose that #2 job in half a ballgame no sweat. So the #3 on this team isn't the same as the #3 in, say, Baltimore or Dallas or even Arizona. Most rock-solid #2 QB's are just bad starters or has-been starters. Brunell was a has-been 4 years ago. Now he's a coach. This is a long way of saying our #2 isn't good enough to get cheap on our #3, and risk keeping Brunell in a substitute role longer than he deserves because now we only have Kevin O'Connell. If Clemens balked at the pay cut, and we went with O'Connell instead, that would be terrible. I get it that a #3 doesn't get a 7-figure salary, or more than the #2, but the team really should realize just how bad our #2 is and take appropriate insurance measures instead of banking on the future life-change fears of Kellen Clemens and his family.

Coles I'm on the fence about because I haven't seen him do anything yet this year (perhaps that is not his fault, but I haven't) and he doesn't play special teams. I'm probably leaning with you on this one, but just barely.

And just to show you I'm not all owners=good and players = bad, the RFA rules where the team can force a non-guaranteed contract on a non-rookie (particularly a player entering his 5th NFL season) is garbage. They tag him with a 2nd round tender, meaning no one in the world is touching him, and then threaten to cut him a week before the season starts? The Jets are far from the first or only team to do this, but that's just creepy. I used to be under the impression that when a player signs any tender (franchise, transition, RFA, etc) that it's guaranteed. It really should be. I don't have an issue with there being FA tiers, but if you force a guy into a contract you should have to pay it.

Then what was the reason for Faneca letting up the most sacks by an interior lineman last year playing between those same two Pro Bowlers? On a team that passed the fewest times I might add ;)

Who said you were allowed to make sense?

when the offensive coaches were meeting and they said we don't have a leader to tell these guys to get it together... wouldn't Thomas Jones and Alan Faneca be considered leaders?

These guys are older and in decline. As such, their leadership abilities decline along side their skills. If they're no longer doing it on the field, other players start to tune them out. They've upgraded Thomas Jones. I originally wanted them to keep him, too, but I can't argue with what they've done there. Faneca was breaking down. In retrospect, the move would've been to bring him along over the summer and see if one of the kids could beat him out - but I get the logic of expecting one of them to be able to fill his aging shoes. A guy like Mangold should now be expected to be the unquestioned leader on the OL.

I thought every single scene of KC in Tanny's office was a lame set up. I didn't buy a single second of it as being real.

I thought the same thing about the Cowlishaw segment. There are definitely times when these guys are playing to the cameras.

Who said you were allowed to make sense?

I'm know, I'll go back to my corner now...lol.

Seriously though, it wasn't just how many times Faneca got beat last year, it was HOW he got beat. Getting shoved right back into Sanchez, totally whiffing on other blocks. He looked HORRIBLE at times in pass protection. Even if Slauson gives up 6 sacks this year, that's still better than Faneca last year.

I thought every single scene of KC in Tanny's office was a lame set up. I didn't buy a single second of it as being real.

That scene with Tanny and Bruce Speight the Jets PR guy left me convinced the Jets were behind the leak somehow. (to Cowlishaw). They went so far out of their way to make it clear they had nothing to do with it. Was just weird. Besides Tanny is such a good GM so when his lips are moving there is a good chance he is lying, lol.

Anyone else notice that the Jets seem obsessed with printing out negative articles written about them? Every week there seems to be another binder.

That scene with Tanny and Bruce Speight the Jets PR guy left me convinced the Jets were behind the leak somehow. (to Cowlishaw). They went so far out of their way to make it clear they had nothing to do with it. Was just weird. Besides Tanny is such a good GM so when his lips are moving there is a good chance he is lying, lol.

Anyone else notice that the Jets seem obsessed with printing out negative articles written about them? Every week there seems to be another binder.

and not for nutin' but has anybody else noticed that Tannenbaum has put on like 15lbs and lost a nice clump of hair from episode 1 to 4? Revis factor?

I thought the same thing about the Cowlishaw segment. There are definitely times when these guys are playing to the cameras.

Every time I see a clip involving Tanny I get this feeling. The scenes in the first episode when he kept pulling his hair when they were talking about Revis? Come on, that was so fake.

and not for nutin' but has anybody else noticed that Tannenbaum has put on like 15lbs and lost a nice clump of hair from episode 1 to 4? Revis factor?

Tanny's hair is the same. He has had that going on for years. He just tries to hide it.

Note to Tanny: Admit defeat and go with the buzz cut, it will be liberating.

As far as him gaining 15lbs in fairness he is trying to hang out with Rex. That can't be good.

Tanny's hair is the same. He has had that going on for years. He just tries to hide it.

Note to Tanny: Admit defeat and go with the buzz cut, it will be liberating.

As far as him gaining 15lbs in fairness he is trying to hang out with Rex. That can't be good.

Then thanks for hiring Crusher. Anyone know the name of a good divorce attorney? Apparently I'm going to need one.

I watched last night and thought it was the best espisode. Rex likes his snacks!

Anyway, not sure whether Kellen is a good guy or just a retard.

I like Coles. I am not ashamed to admit that. A pro.

However, the most disturbing thing, to me, was Jason Taylor. He came off as a huge d-bag. Getting lost, blaming GPS, Driving around in his Masserati. Question: don't they all board a team bus? Don't they all stay in the same hotel overnight? Same pre-game place for the pre-game meal? I know it's pre-season, but don't they follow the same protocol? I 'dunno...Taylor just came off as a real Diva.

It will be interesting on Harris because we have to see what kind of deal he's looking for.

Also, Clemens lacks the passion to be a starting QB in the NFL IMO, but he has a really great personality. I know, that's like complimenting a JiF chick, but still. He comes off has real genuine and has a good self deprecating humor like when Tanny came straight out and said he'd cut him if he didn't take the deal.

He also had a great line: "I don't think I should make less than I'm worth, but I shouldn't make more than it either." You don't see that in professional athletes.

Call me silly, but I hope he remains a Jet as a career backup like Frank Reich was with the great Buffalo Bills teams.

Hey, **** you!

I watched last night and thought it was the best espisode. Rex likes his snacks!

Anyway, not sure whether Kellen is a good guy or just a retard.

I like Coles. I am not ashamed to admit that. A pro.

However, the most disturbing this to me was Jason Taylor. He came off as a huge d-bag. Getting lost, blaming GPS, Driving around in his Masserati. Question: don't they all board a team bus? Don't they all stay in teh same hotel overnight? I know it's pre-season, but don't teh follow the same protocol? I 'dunno...Taylor just came off as a real Diva.

He's a chick.

Coles I'm on the fence about because I haven't seen him do anything yet this year (perhaps that is not his fault, but I haven't) and he doesn't play special teams. I'm probably leaning with you on this one, but just barely.

When Coles was signed here, I had made a couple posts about him not being a lock to make the team. I figured his guaranteed salary would be a part of that, but I figured it would have more to do with just where his skill level was at. I haven't seen much from him, either, and really I'm looking at it from the perspective of hearing Rex talk about him - and really seeming to want Coles to be on the team. In every other cut scene, it's Tanny telling the player (however politely) to take a walk, but in Coles case Rex was there telling him he wants him back ASAP.

If Rex likes him that much, then first week of the season against a strong AFC opponent with a weak secondary - I think you'd want to have that WR available. That's what makes this kind of money move look really bad to me.

And just to show you I'm not all owners=good and players = bad, the RFA rules where the team can force a non-guaranteed contract on a non-rookie (particularly a player entering his 5th NFL season) is garbage. They tag him with a 2nd round tender, meaning no one in the world is touching him, and then threaten to cut him a week before the season starts? The Jets are far from the first or only team to do this, but that's just creepy. I used to be under the impression that when a player signs any tender (franchise, transition, RFA, etc) that it's guaranteed. It really should be. I don't have an issue with there being FA tiers, but if you force a guy into a contract you should have to pay it.

I agree with you on the #2 QB situation here. Not that they're a model of NFL business practices, but the Redskins have John Beck as their #3 QB making over $1M this year, and just signed him to a two year, $2.5M extension. Just simply paying Clemens what they agreed to would've been fair, and not completely out of line. I really felt for him when he said he didn't want to be a pushover, and Tanny was telling him that he wasn't being one. That was agonizing.

However, the most disturbing thing, to me, was Jason Taylor. He came off as a huge d-bag. Getting lost, blaming GPS, Driving around in his Masserati. Question: don't they all board a team bus? Don't they all stay in the same hotel overnight? Same pre-game place for teh pre-game meal? I know it's pre-season, but don't they follow the same protocol? I 'dunno...Taylor just came off as a real Diva.

And this is news to you? You didnt know this about his punk a$$.

I ******* hate him...seriously hate him. It makes me sick to my stomach to see him in Green and White.

As much as I've loved this offseason as a Jets fan because of the excitement thats been stirred, some sh*t we've done truly pisses me off and signing him is one of those things. I'll never forgive this franchise for making me watch my most hated player in all of sports wearing my favorite colors playing for my favorite team in all of sports.

I ******* HATE JASON GHEYHOMFAG TAYLOR.

Anybody catch Terry Bradway, looking clueless as usual?

Yes. He looks like he needs to have his estrogen levels checked. He looked like an old woman.

Then thanks for hiring Crusher. Anyone know the name of a good divorce attorney? Apparently I'm going to need one.

The guy my ex-wife used was pretty good. love0055.gif

However, the most disturbing thing, to me, was Jason Taylor. He came off as a huge d-bag. Getting lost, blaming GPS, Driving around in his Masserati. Question: don't they all board a team bus? Don't they all stay in the same hotel overnight? Same pre-game place for the pre-game meal? I know it's pre-season, but don't they follow the same protocol? I 'dunno...Taylor just came off as a real Diva.

He's a bitch. I just hope he can still play.

When Coles was signed here, I had made a couple posts about him not being a lock to make the team. I figured his guaranteed salary would be a part of that, but I figured it would have more to do with just where his skill level was at. I haven't seen much from him, either, and really I'm looking at it from the perspective of hearing Rex talk about him - and really seeming to want Coles to be on the team. In every other cut scene, it's Tanny telling the player (however politely) to take a walk, but in Coles case Rex was there telling him he wants him back ASAP.

If Rex likes him that much, then first week of the season against a strong AFC opponent with a weak secondary - I think you'd want to have that WR available. That's what makes this kind of money move look really bad to me.

I agree with you on the #2 QB situation here. Not that they're a model of NFL business practices, but the Redskins have John Beck as their #3 QB making over $1M this year, and just signed him to a two year, $2.5M extension. Just simply paying Clemens what they agreed to would've been fair, and not completely out of line. I really felt for him when he said he didn't want to be a pushover, and Tanny was telling him that he wasn't being one. That was agonizing.

Forcing a guy into this choice in March: 1) sign this RFA tender; 2) play for no one because no one's offering up a 2nd round pick for you

Then giving the same player this choice at the end of August: 1) we're rescinding the contract you signed. Take a $500K pay cut. 2) we're releasing you. Good luck getting more than $700K as a QB now that the season's a week away.

I know it's a business, but this isn't like the tens of millions being negotiated (or not being negotiated now, such as it is) with Revis. Also it's not like this is a bloated 6th year of a 6 year deal that everyone knows was fake from the get-go. Further, in terms of an NFL team's expenditures, this is chump-change. Plus they don't have a #2 worth a damn anyway and the alternative for the #3 job should be flipping burgers. Instead of being thankful that Clemens hasn't checked himself into a psych ward or retired outright after his yo-yo career with the Jets so far, they pull this crap. It's bush-league. If you don't want him then don't tag him. Or tag him in March so you don't paint yourself into a corner come draft day, and if you don't draft a replacement in April then cut ties with him then. But this stuff is garbage.

Not sure where people are getting this from. It was pretty clear he either takes the pay cut or he gets cut. What's the point of him playing hardball when he has zero leverage?

Sure he could have rolled the dice and probably gotten more money elsewhere but not everyone's sole motivation is money like that pig Revis. It's not like he settled for 10 bucks an hour... the guy will still make 635,000 this year and get back to over a Milhouse next year when they punt Brunell.

How about his career as a Jet? As a guy once touted as the future as a 2nd round pick he's gotten 2nd fiddle status in 3 out of his 4 years. For a guy who has stated he wants to start, he's taking a lot of steps backwards in that regard. Year 1 he sits behind Penny. Year 2 he sits behind penny until midway through the season. Year 3 he gets Favre'd. So he sits behind a guy who has a consecutive starts streak. Year 4 the Jets have no plans for him clearly when they take a QB by trading up to the Browns pick to get Sanchez. At the point where Sanchez is declared the starter he's gotta know that he has ZERO chance at starting with the Jets at that point for the future. Even if Sanchez sucks, he's going to get every advantage and opportunity to play.

So this year he's going into it knowing he's 2nd fiddle right? Wrong. Immediately he's demoted to 3rd string QB and has to take a pay cut to do it. That's not a guy who want to start so bad he'll do anything to get there. That's a guy who likes the organization and the team...that's a pushover.

I don't know if Clemens has been discussed yet, but I came out of this episode liking him a lot. Forget taking the pay cut, when he talks about being humble and not wanting to be overpaid and how he just wants one more legitimate shot to be a starter, I think you gotta root for him somewhere.

I edit TV for a living (at least for another week or so), so I know what editing is capable of doing, but Clemens came off looking a lot better than distracted, nail biting, pranking, Sanchez.

I agree on all fronts. Plus, we have to realize that Clemens is a married man with kids in his late 20s. Sanchez is a 23 yr old college kid. So, of course, the maturity level will be much different.

Also, I think people are making out too much of 1 play on Slausen. He got beat on the play where Sanchez got hit on his knee. Yes, it could be have been bad, but it wasn't.

Forcing a guy into this choice in March: 1) sign this RFA tender; 2) play for no one because no one's offering up a 2nd round pick for you

Then giving the same player this choice at the end of August: 1) we're rescinding the contract you signed. Take a $500K pay cut. 2) we're releasing you. Good luck getting more than $700K as a QB now that the season's a week away.

I know it's a business, but this isn't like the tens of millions being negotiated (or not being negotiated now, such as it is) with Revis. Also it's not like this is a bloated 6th year of a 6 year deal that everyone knows was fake from the get-go. Further, in terms of an NFL team's expenditures, this is chump-change. Plus they don't have a #2 worth a damn anyway and the alternative for the #3 job should be flipping burgers. Instead of being thankful that Clemens hasn't checked himself into a psych ward or retired outright after his yo-yo career with the Jets so far, they pull this crap. It's bush-league. If you don't want him then don't tag him. Or tag him in March so you don't paint yourself into a corner come draft day, and if you don't draft a replacement in April then cut ties with him then. But this stuff is garbage.

Personally I think RFA tenders should be guaranteed money the way franchise tags are. Now if you come to terms for a contract other than the RFA offer than that isn't guaranteed money.

Also, I think people are making out too much of 1 play on Slausen. He got beat on the play where Sanchez got hit on his knee. Yes, it could be have been bad, but it wasn't.

it wasn't just that play. He had a holding call against the giants where he got beat like a drum and tackled Chris Canty. Slauson is not an upgrade over faneca in pass protection, in fact he might be worse.

I agree on all fronts. Plus, we have to realize that Clemens is a married man with kids in his late 20s. Sanchez is a 23 yr old college kid. So, of course, the maturity level will be much different.

Agreed about Slausen. Last night's storyline was poor guard play.

Did you notice you didn't see Slausen's monster block that allowed LT to make that huge run?

Personally I think RFA tenders should be guaranteed money the way franchise tags are. Now if you come to terms for a contract other than the RFA offer than that isn't guaranteed money.

Agreed. If the player could shop himself around, and a new potential team didn't have to compensate the tagging team so heftily, I would feel differently. But when you're a backup player tagged with a 2nd round pick, no one's going to touch you. Especially a QB who has only been in 1 system his whole NFL career; no one's going to want him in early September over a guy who won a #2 spot months ago and who has the playbook and terminology memorized already.

Wonder if Clemens would have signed anyway if he knew the Giants suddenly had no #2 and were shopping for one, or if the news about Sorgi being IR'd a day late. Wouldn't have had to move his family one inch and the Giants #2 job - if they wanted him, of course, surely paid more than the vet minimum the Jets offered up as a take-it-or-you're-fired.

Agreed. If the player could shop himself around, and a new potential team didn't have to compensate the tagging team so heftily, I would feel differently. But when you're a backup player tagged with a 2nd round pick, no one's going to touch you. Especially a QB who has only been in 1 system his whole NFL career; no one's going to want him in early September over a guy who won a #2 spot months ago and who has the playbook and terminology memorized already.

Wonder if Clemens would have signed anyway if he knew the Giants suddenly had no #2 and were shopping for one, or if the news about Sorgi being IR'd a day late. Wouldn't have had to move his family one inch and the Giants #2 job - if they wanted him, of course, surely paid more than the vet minimum the Jets offered up as a take-it-or-you're-fired.

Beyond the specifics of KC, because I hate to think of policy or change in terms of one player or situation.....

This is my take: A team should only offer a RFA tag to a player they believe is worth the restricted tender money and that they feel is an intergral part of the final 53. If KC was worth $1.684 million in April than he is still worth $1.684 million. If he wasn't worth $1.684 he should never have been tagged in the first place. To tag and then not pay seems wrong.

Beyond the specifics of KC, because I hate to think of policy or change in terms of one player or situation.....

This is my take: A team should only offer a RFA tag to a player they believe is worth the restricted tender money and that they feel is an intergral part of the final 53. If KC was worth $1.684 million in April than he is still worth $1.684 million. If he wasn't worth $1.684 he should never have been tagged in the first place. To tag and then not pay seems wrong.

I was using Clemens as an example, not a reason. But the truth is, as bad as it is for any player it's worse for a QB. A random LB or WR can get picked up to use in only certain packages, reducing the need to learn an entire playbook cold. They could also double-up their self-marketing ability by playing ST's. A QB is just a QB and nothing else. Particularly someone who is a marginal #2 not a marginal #3.

But that was my point. It's only illustrated more with Clemens because he's a QB and because this is a Jets website.

But it's a dick move no matter who it's done to. Truthfully, I can't believe the players union agreed to allow any player to be tagged with a non-guaranteed amount. You tag him, you pay him. You don't want to pay him, you don't tag him.

yea but welcome to the real world...how many of us people IN that real world have had to make concessions to keep our jobs? Let's face it too GWAGH, Kellen Clemens is making an awful lot more money even with that pay cut than every single person who is a member of this MB community-and he isn't even working on Sundays...

it wasn't just that play. He had a holding call against the giants where he got beat like a drum and tackled Chris Canty. Slauson is not an upgrade over faneca in pass protection, in fact he might be worse.

That was 1 play, and DBrick and Woody have also been penalized.

I think people are making too much of it. The Jets wanted to give Vlad a chance against the Skins and he obviously isn't ready. Slausen is the starter and needs some more reps.

yea but welcome to the real world...how many of us people IN that real world have had to make concessions to keep our jobs? Let's face it too GWAGH, Kellen Clemens is making an awful lot more money even with that pay cut than every single person who is a member of this MB community-and he isn't even working on Sundays...

First off, he's making $650K or so, not $5M or so.

Let's try and make the real-world analogy.

You were going to start to look for a job someplace else. Your boss, who hasn't re-hired you yet, has an arrangement in your industry whereby anyone who hires you has to pay him $3M. Clearly no one is hiring you away from him. So you sign on for another year with him.

Fast-forward a bit.

It's now the morning of December 24th. On your way out the door, to go spend Christmas Eve with your family, your boss says to you he thinks you clearly do a good enough job to stay on but he's going to fire you unless you take a 50% pay cut right now. In this economy where people aren't going to fire another suddenly just to make room for SFJ. You have 5 minutes to answer, and then you have to go home to your family to share bad news option 1 or worse news option 2. Option 1 you have to change the way you'd planned things for the next year cost-wise. Option 2 you have to sell your house and move your wife and kids somewhere, but you don't even know where yet.

Your new potential nickname, SouthFloridaScrooge, depends on your reply here.

I was using Clemens as an example, not a reason. But the truth is, as bad as it is for any player it's worse for a QB. A random LB or WR can get picked up to use in only certain packages, reducing the need to learn an entire playbook cold. They could also double-up their self-marketing ability by playing ST's. A QB is just a QB and nothing else. Particularly someone who is a marginal #2 not a marginal #3.

But that was my point. It's only illustrated more with Clemens because he's a QB and because this is a Jets website.

But it's a dick move no matter who it's done to. Truthfully, I can't believe the players union agreed to allow any player to be tagged with a non-guaranteed amount. You tag him, you pay him. You don't want to pay him, you don't tag him.

I will agree with that. In general the backup QB is the worst job of the 53. The only way you get to prove yourself is if the main man goes down. But odds are you took zero snaps in practice that week and now ALL the pressure is on you. A back up in any other position is going to get some snaps and gradually build in more and more time. With a QB it is either all or nothing.

I feel bad for CK. I am not saying the Jets did anything wrong or particularly dickish. But I don't think he got a fair shot to showcase his talents for the NFL and never will.

I will agree with that. In general the backup QB is the worst job of the 53. The only way you get to prove yourself is if the main man goes down. But odds are you took zero snaps in practice that week and now ALL the pressure is on you. A back up in any other position is going to get some snaps and gradually build in more and more time. With a QB it is either all or nothing.

I feel bad for CK. I am not saying the Jets did anything wrong or particularly dickish. But I don't think he got a fair shot to showcase his talents for the NFL and never will.

I will say this, in defense of all his critics. Life isn't fair. His chances were in the summers. As a rookie he competed with a no-arm Pennington and no-anything Ramsey. Pre-season 2007 he wasn't really competing I don't care what anyone says. If he rose up to the challenge and opportunity in pre-season 2008 there would have been no Jett Favre. Just would have been QB1 = Clemens; QB2 = Pennington. Pre-season 2009 Sanchez didn't look good either. Only Clemens looking equally bad gave Sanchez the nod, no matter where he was drafted. Higher-picked, and more highly-touted draft picks than Mark Sanchez have held a clipboard. Clemens did nothing to grab hold of the job and not look back.

But the non-guaranteed RFA stuff is weak no matter how many other teams do it.

Archived