The Official Jets On Hard Knocks Thread

Maxman

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good:

F-Bombs are BACK - anyone else notice that there was no footage of the Dungy visit?

Hazing Brian Jackson.

Thurman chewing him out.

King Ugly, and rookie show.

Westhoff is the man.

No Sanchez pouting.

Gholston.

Woodhead.

Mangold contract.

Chauncey Washington getting noticed vs. Carolina.

Woody, Rex, Braylon (the beard), Tanny, and Damien Woody all jogging side-by-side.

Bart Scott's "make Revis appear" joke to the magician.

The intern negotiating the magician's deal.

The bad:

Only 1 hour.

Jets On Hard Knocks: Episode Three

Jets_HardKnocks_FB_Logo_123.jpg by Phil Sullivan on August 26, 2010[edit]

in Jets On Hard Knocks

Another week of Hard Knocks has come and gone. Still no sign of Darrelle Revis. He was mentioned briefly at the end of the show as a lead in into the Nick Mangold signing.

One thing stands out above all else after three episodes. Mike Tannenbaum is not a funny man. He needs to play to his strengths at stop trying to be funny. We won’t even recap his jokes. He is a brilliant GM and works a contract like no other. He needs to stop with the jokes though, it isn’t who he is.

A large part of this weeks show was devoted to the Special Teams. Mike Westhoff can be rough and seems to be on par with Rex Ryan in the potty mouth category. He told David Clowney that he would cut him on the spot if he blew coverage on Special Teams.

Here are some highlights from Jenny Vrentas (NJ.com):

• Speaking of, we’d like to have a direct feed from Ryan’s headset every game. How does he really feel about the third-team defense? “Some of these guys cant play dead in a B-Western.” Oh, and he did tell John Fox the game looked like a pillow fight.
  • Woodhead may or may not make the roster, but he has all the respect of his teammates, who joke that he would have been a Hall of Famer in the 1950s: “It would have been like, man, LT runs just like Danny Woodhead used to,” fullback Jason Davis says.
  • RB Chauncey Washington, he of the crushing hit on the punt return, won the game ball last Saturday.
Here is another excellent recap from Tim Graham at ESPN:

Next to the team’s official depth chart, Tannenbaum scrawled out the number of players they plan to keep at each position, with the caveat they can adjust for special teams.

Offense (25 players):

• Three quarterbacks
  • Five running backs
  • Five wide receivers (including
    Santonio Holmes
    )
  • Four tight ends
  • Eight offensive linemen

Defense (23 players):

• Six defensive linemen
  • Four outside linebackers
  • Four inside linebackers
  • Five cornerbacks (I think because I couldn’t make out the abbreviation)
  • Four safeties (I think for the same reason)
Add a kicker, punter and long-snapper, and that’s 51 players, leaving two special-teams spots for everybody else to fight over.

The show suggested the bubble players were running back
Danny Woodhead
, fullback
Jason Davis
, receivers
David Clowney
and
Larry Taylor
, tight end
Matthew Mulligan
and linebacker
Lance Laury

Coming up next week:

• Brian Schotteneimer with his family
  • Camp is over, practices at Florham Park
  • HBO is praying and hoping but mostly praying for some Darrelle Revis footage

Don’t forget to follow Hard Knocks on Facebook and you can comment on the show in the New York Jets on Hard Knocks thread.

That Danny Woodhead joke was pretty funny...the FB we're going to cut has made me laugh twice no (the first time when he kicked the camera crew out because he had to bang his chick)...Pito seems like a badass and it does suck we lost him....that guy who didn't know what a yard was was mindblowing.

I hope Danny Woodhead makes the team and I think he will. He's kind of a utility player who can play HB, WR, and be a special teamer. Woodhead is a guy who I'll bet you could, in a pinch play safety. The other guy I want to see make the team is a guy a few of us here have been touting since we signed him in January Larry Taylor-Chauncey is PS material IMO but I also like him a lot

Next to the team’s official depth chart, Tannenbaum scrawled out the number of players they plan to keep at each position, with the caveat they can adjust for special teams.

Offense (25 players):

• Three quarterbacks
  • Five running backs
  • Five wide receivers (including
    Santonio Holmes
    )
  • Four tight ends
  • Eight offensive linemen

Defense (23 players):

• Six defensive linemen
  • Four outside linebackers
  • Four inside linebackers
  • Five cornerbacks (I think because I couldn’t make out the abbreviation)
  • Four safeties (I think for the same reason)

Add a kicker, punter and long-snapper, and that’s 51 players, leaving two special-teams spots for everybody else to fight over.

The show suggested the bubble players were running back
Danny Woodhead
, fullback
Jason Davis
, receivers
David Clowney
and
Larry Taylor
, tight end
Matthew Mulligan
and linebacker
Lance Laury

I'm glad you posted this, because I was going to bring it up, because there's a few interesting things to take from this. First off, with the Jets having listed 5 RBs, it sounds like they're planning on keeping both Richardson and Conner at FB, which kind of makes me happy. Unless TRich chooses to retire, I would really hate to see him off of this team.

I can't see any way that Laury is a "bubble player" though, despite what they were saying. He was signed as a UFA is a top special teams player plus a depth player at ILB. I would bet he's the fourth guy accounted for in that 4 ILBs number.

Also have to notice that they specifically defined 3 QBs, which they've carried 4 in each of the last two seasons. Ainge's issues easily cost him a roster spot and at this point it's obviously decision time between Clemens and O'Connell and unless someone offers something in a trade for Clemens, he's going to be the guy who sticks.

Four TEs is another number I found interesting as well. If that stays true, it certainly helps the chances of guys like Mulligan and Cumberland, considering Keller and Hartsock are the only guys at the position who are locks to make it.

Plus I have to be honest, with two spots still left open in the end, I'm really rooting for Woodhead to make the team again. He just does so much and continues to look better each year. He can play multiple positions on offense and on ST. Plus, did you see that hit he laid on that blocker on special teams? Holy crap, that was impressive for a little guy.

Archived