The Official Jets On Hard Knocks Thread

Maxman

Which makes it all the more sickening that f-stick Revis wants all the money he thinks he's due and any money anyone else is due on the team too.

We're f'ked

I like your Revis point a lot. How much of a divide is that going to cause (when he signs)? Revis is talking huge numbers and guys like Clemens just gave back like 500k or almost half of what they expected to make this season.

Yes Revis is more talented but management is telling these guys they need money in case Revis comes back (that made no sense to me). They probably normally blame this stuff on the cap but that is a non-issue.

Woody sucks as an owner.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomas Jones: Was a team leader of offense last season and he was let go in a cost cutting move this past offseason.

Alan Faneca: There was plenty of talk about diminishing skills. Yet in an uncapped year, why wouldn’t you bring Faneca into camp and let one of the young guards (Slauson, Vlad) try to beat him out? Another cost cutting move. This episode showed that they guards lining up to replace Faneca are raw.

I was never a fan of Alan Faneca. He is showing that he is not that good in Arizona as I believe he gave up 3 sacks so far this preseason. I think the Jets look into the future by drafting Shonn and Matt last year. They had to know they would be making these moves. You never want to keep players a year too late and I think the Jets did that with Alan and TJ. They worked TJ to death last year with the 300+ carries. Most runningbacks that do that kind of workload either fall off (Matt Forte) or get injured and I think the Jets didn't want to take that chance.

About Faneca -- since it is an uncapped season they Jets could have brought Faneca into camp and have an option competition. He may have had roster bonuses this offseason, I actually don't remember. But this move still scares me. VLad isn't ready. Hopefully Slauson is...

About Faneca -- since it is an uncapped season they Jets could have brought Faneca into camp and have an option competition. He may have had roster bonuses this offseason, I actually don't remember. But this move still scares me. VLad isn't ready. Hopefully Slauson is...

I think Slauson can run block fine. I worry about his pass blocking. Alan wasn't going to get any better at pass blocking at his age. Slauson can with gametime, that is why i like the move.

You guys can't be serious? We're immature and not focused? That's laughable. This team knows that they can play and mess around but come Sundays, they will be focused. You guys think we're the only team that ****s around? That's BS. Half of ******* Miami is looking for an ear ring, but yeah, we're the team that's not focused.

I TRUST REX RYAN.

I hope you are right Ghost, but pre-season and hard knocks has not done much to reassure me. :(

He's a pushover, but he seems like a good dude.

Not sure where people are getting this from. It was pretty clear he either takes the pay cut or he gets cut. What's the point of him playing hardball when he has zero leverage?

Sure he could have rolled the dice and probably gotten more money elsewhere but not everyone's sole motivation is money like that pig Revis. It's not like he settled for 10 bucks an hour... the guy will still make 635,000 this year and get back to over a Milhouse next year when they punt Brunell.

I think Slauson can run block fine. I worry about his pass blocking. Alan wasn't going to get any better at pass blocking at his age. Slauson can with gametime, that is why i like the move.

I think you may be right. I am just frustrated because costs go up 800% under Woody and they seem to cry poverty in an uncapped year. Kind of stinks....Depth should be a non-issue this year and the coaches seem worried about it, very worried.

Not sure where people are getting this from. It was pretty clear he either takes the pay cut or he gets cut. What's the point of him playing hardball when he has zero leverage?

Sure he could have rolled the dice and probably gotten more money elsewhere but not everyone's sole motivation is money like that pig Revis. It's not like he settled for 10 bucks an hour... the guy will still make 635,000 this year and get back to over a Milhouse next year when they punt Brunell.

Yeah I thought he represented himself well. It is in his best interest to stay for a few reasons... And with Brunell's age Kellen getting back to #2 on the depth chart should happen soon. Just has to win Sexy Rexy over like Tanny told him.

I hope you are right Ghost, but pre-season and hard knocks has not done much to reassure me. :(

It's pre-season. The Lions go 4-0 and end up going 0-16. I believe that same year the Pats went 0-4 in pre-season and well, you know the rest. We're fine. As long as we run the ball and play defense, we're always going to be in the game. Then it's whether Mark Sanchez throws the game away or not.

I have no problems with cutting players as a cost saving move when it makes sense. However, I expect the Jets to lock up their core players with that savings aka a defensive back from my home state of PA. If he does not start 11 days from now, I will be severely pissed at Woody Johnson.

I have no problems with cutting players as a cost saving move when it makes sense. However, I expect the Jets to lock up their core players with that savings aka a defensive back from my home state of PA. If he does not start 11 days from now, I will be severely pissed at Woody Johnson.

It's not Woody's fault that MEvi$' demands are unreasonable.

Alan Faneca: There was plenty of talk about diminishing skills. Yet in an uncapped year, why wouldn’t you bring Faneca into camp and let one of the young guards (Slauson, Vlad) try to beat him out? Another cost cutting move. This episode showed that they guards lining up to replace Faneca are raw.

I was never a fan of Alan Faneca. He is showing that he is not that good in Arizona as I believe he gave up 3 sacks so far this preseason.

Alan Faneca has given up zero sacks this preseason. look at the boxscores and you'll see all but two sacks were given up to outside rushers (DE's and OLB's). The two given up by interior lineman were given up by third stringers, one of which is no longer on the team. Alan Faneca is better than Slauson. Ducasse isn't even an argument at this point. Folks need to take the homer glasses off on this one. Releasing Faneca was a mistake.

FANECA HAS GIVEN UP NO SACKS THIS PRESEASON?!?!?! OMFG!

DAVID CLONEY FTW OMFG!!!

Uh, yeah. No sacks this preseason. The post I quoted said he gave up three. He didn't. He's also playing with 4 out of 5 lineman either new to the team or new to their position. Slauson and Ducasse are lining up between two guys that played in the pro bowl last year. And boy have they given up sacks. OMFG! FTW!

But hey, we're Jets Fans. No sense in letting reality get in the way. We do absolutely everything right all the time. Must be why we're perenial Super Bowl champs.

Uh, yeah. No sacks this preseason. The post I quoted said he gave up three. He didn't. He's also playing with 4 out of 5 lineman either new to the team or new to their position. Slauson and Ducasse are lining up between two guys that played in the pro bowl last year. And boy have they given up sacks. OMFG! FTW!

But hey, we're Jets Fans. No sense in letting reality get in the way. We do absolutely everything right all the time. Must be why we're perenial Super Bowl champs.

Exactly. With the season ready to start, his chances of catching on at more than the $635K minimum are slim and none. Let's see how many of the big mouth stronzo's who think he's a pushover and a pussy would walk from that money which Tanny guaranteed for the entire season. There is no bottom when it comes to stupidity...

the idea that Slauson is an upgrade over Faneca should be dead and buried. He's flat out not as good.

It irks me that they take an OL, 5 guys who started 30+ games together and disrupt continuity with the "hope" that a guy will be better. The unit as a whole won't be better, period.

Earlier poster had it right on they should have paid Faneca, forced the youth to beat him out. Instead they handed the job to a 2nd year 6th rounder (who frankly, should have been undrafted) and "hope" that he's gonna be better.

You guys can't be serious? We're immature and not focused? That's laughable. This team knows that they can play and mess around but come Sundays, they will be focused. You guys think we're the only team that ****s around? That's BS. Half of ******* Miami is looking for an ear ring, but yeah, we're the team that's not focused.

I TRUST REX RYAN.

I think there's a lot of people on this board who don't understand that these shows are heavily edited to tell a story. What's funny is that if you re-watch last night's episode it becomes clear pretty quickly that the chronology of events is completely screwed up to tell this particular story.

FWIW, I don't think for a second that focus is going to be an issue once the season starts and it really hasn't been a major issue in camp. The producers of Hard Knocks wanted to tell a story and they butchered the space-time continuum to tell it.

What amazed and troubled me was the Tim Cowlishaw report and how the Jets were just as clueless as the rest of us. It seemed like maybe they might have some kind of a clue as to what their star CB was doing or maybe even where the eff he was located...they seemed to know neither

Alan Faneca has given up zero sacks this preseason. look at the boxscores and you'll see all but two sacks were given up to outside rushers (DE's and OLB's). The two given up by interior lineman were given up by third stringers, one of which is no longer on the team. Alan Faneca is better than Slauson. Ducasse isn't even an argument at this point. Folks need to take the homer glasses off on this one. Releasing Faneca was a mistake.

You clearly haven't watched the Cardinals play this preseason. Faneca has gotten Leinart killed on mulitple occaisions.

my prediction on who the guy in scenes from the next who Rex said "pissed himself when the lights turned on": Jeff Cumberland. the guy has been tony gonzalez in practice, i dont think he's done jack crap in the games.

Joe McKnight immediately came to my mind Bit

What amazed and troubled me was the Tim Cowlishaw report and how the Jets were just as clueless as the rest of us. It seemed like maybe they might have some kind of a clue as to what their star CB was doing or maybe even where the eff he was located...they seemed to know neither

I didn't get that at all. I saw it as they had no clue where Cowlishaw's stories were coming from because they weren't matching up with reality. In other words, if Revis was planning on coming to Florham Park, they would have known about it.

I don't know if Clemens has been discussed yet, but I came out of this episode liking him a lot. Forget taking the pay cut, when he talks about being humble and not wanting to be overpaid and how he just wants one more legitimate shot to be a starter, I think you gotta root for him somewhere.

I edit TV for a living (at least for another week or so), so I know what editing is capable of doing, but Clemens came off looking a lot better than distracted, nail biting, pranking, Sanchez.

I don't know if Clemens has been discussed yet, but I came out of this episode liking him a lot. Forget taking the pay cut, when he talks about being humble and not wanting to be overpaid and how he just wants one more legitimate shot to be a starter, I think you gotta root for him somewhere.

I edit TV for a living (at least for another week or so), so I know what editing is capable of doing, but Clemens came off looking a lot better than distracted, nail biting, pranking, Sanchez.

yea he did EY-FWIW Clemens has never been given a true shot to start here and I only hop that if Sanchez gets hurt for a series or two this year that we get to see Kellen instead of Brunnell. You know never having anybody believe in you can't help one's confidence. There IS something to be said for being humble-something that that a$$hole Revis has no concept of...

You clearly haven't watched the Cardinals play this preseason. Faneca has gotten Leinart killed on mulitple occaisions.

Duh. Faneca was a pro bowler last year, stupid-head.

The Jets barely saved $1M at the LG position this season by swapping Faneca for Ducasse. The same owner who reaps that net savings has to knowingly pay Faneca 5x that to play for someone else. It's possible they just didn't want him anymore.

The prevailing themes of this episode were money issues and lack of team leadership. If the Jets have leadership issues look no further than this list and the players that the Jets chose to waive.

[..]

But anyone who thinks the Jets aren’t having cash issues right now just isn’t paying attention.

I get cutting Faneca and TJones. Guys were scheduled to make a lot of money, and their skills are clearly on the decline. Teams have to get younger to stay competitive. In the case of Jones, they got a little older with LT, but so far he looks like an upgrade for less money. Can't argue with that, either.

But these penny pinching moves with Coles and Clemens are just bullsh*t in an uncapped year. And from the looks of things, Tanny really wants to cut TRich, too. It's amazing to hear the coaches compain about a lack of locker room leadership while simultaneously cutting a guy like Coles because the NFL minimum is too much for them to guarantee. That amount of money is not supposed to matter! That's why, in capped years, teams get credit for tenured veterans making the minimum - so the vets don't lose their jobs in a cap numbers crunch. If TRich was watching last night, he's got to love his coach, but he's also got to be thinking WTF when it comes to the organization.

And Clemens is just too nice a guy. They've treated him like crap. First they put an RFA tag on him so he can't test the market, he signs in good faith, and then the Jets cut his pay nearly in half. Really? But watching him last night, he's saying he likes Tannenbaum? Most guys would want to wring Tanny neck at that point! laugh.gif He might actually be back next year. Who knows?

These are cheap-a$$ moves, though, that make no sense in an uncapped year. I used to think that Bitonti was being something of a conspiracy theorist with his money talk, but then I read (I think in the NYPost) that the Jets may be on the list of most valuable franchises, but they're also the most financially leveraged team in the NFL. It's clear that some of these moves are not football moves. Flies in the face of Rex's Super Bowl or bust talk.

I get cutting Faneca and TJones. Guys were scheduled to make a lot of money, and their skills are clearly on the decline. Teams have to get younger to stay competitive. In the case of Jones, they got a little older with LT, but so far he looks like an upgrade for less money. Can't argue with that, either.

when the offensive coaches were meeting and they said we don't have a leader to tell these guys to get it together... wouldn't Thomas Jones and Alan Faneca be considered leaders?

when the offensive coaches were meeting and they said we don't have a leader to tell these guys to get it together... wouldn't Thomas Jones and Alan Faneca be considered leaders?

Yeah Faneca lead the league in sacks given up, despite being in the fewest pass protection plays, and Jones lead the league in down on first contacts, wind blows and sneezes.

Duh. Faneca was a pro bowler last year, stupid-head.

The Jets barely saved $1M at the LG position this season by swapping Faneca for Ducasse. The same owner who reaps that net savings has to knowingly pay Faneca 5x that to play for someone else. It's possible they just didn't want him anymore.

But that doesn't neatly fit the short cash flow narrative some are desperate to advance Spermy. :confused0058:

It will be interesting on Harris because we have to see what kind of deal he's looking for.

Also, Clemens lacks the passion to be a starting QB in the NFL IMO, but he has a really great personality. I know, that's like complimenting a JiF chick, but still. He comes off has real genuine and has a good self deprecating humor like when Tanny came straight out and said he'd cut him if he didn't take the deal.

He also had a great line: "I don't think I should make less than I'm worth, but I shouldn't make more than it either." You don't see that in professional athletes.

Call me silly, but I hope he remains a Jet as a career backup like Frank Reich was with the great Buffalo Bills teams.

I thought every single scene of KC in Tanny's office was a lame set up. I didn't buy a single second of it as being real.

I'm breaking faith with Rex Ryan. There's some phoniness to him that I didn't see before. And Sanchez is a total douche bag and sucks but Rex keeps sticking with him. Same with this business of building up John Conner.

Guys like KC and Lav Coles have more class than the entire Jet FO and CS put together and they get treated like dog crap. Then meat lover Sanchez is the golden boy and can do no wrong. 8-8 is the future. Rex won't admit he was wrong about Sanchez and Sanchez doesn't have the ability. SOJ never left us at all. Benigno was right.

Archived