Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put a clause in the contract to avoid that. If decides to holdout again, there should be a stiff penalty in the form YOOGE monetary deductions.

if i was revis' agent i'd never accept a contract with that clause in it - besides, revis has already forfeited $20 mill guaranteed by this (his second) holdout.

i think if revis would've been willing to accept a $9 million dollar bonus this year and have the jets pick up the $20 million in guarantees for '11 and '12 now it would've been done long ago. that would be a 1000% raise over what he was due to make this year and give him 3 at $30 mill guaranteed. this would've been far richer than the stopgap measure accepted by chris johnson. they could then get him on the field, give revis a "worst case" $30 mill in fully guaranteed salary for the next 3. likely they'd negotiate a long term deal when the labor picture becomes a little clearer.

Did the Jets ever offer that? Have you read anything anywhere that suggests the Jets have offered anything up front?

I think that would've come pretty close to getting a deal done.

if i was revis' agent i'd never accept a contract with that clause in it - besides, revis has already forfeited $20 mill guaranteed by this (his second) holdout.

A deal without some sort of language that penalizes Revis for holding out would be boneheaded. You can't trust a player who has already held out twice. If I'm Revis's agent, I take the big contract with the clause over no contract and a year of not playing.

you failed to mention that the front man of the panthers claimed it was the worst descision he ever made.gilbert turned out to be an "overpaid" nobody.it worked out for gilbert,not so much for the panthers

Now if the Panthers held firm, or if the Redskins hadn't been so anxious to overpay for that overrated meathead Gilbert (something they got royally screwed on based on his performance after signing), we might not be staring at this Revis holdout now.

Ever consider that, Revisites? It's because of the one or two foolish teams that roll over to these players that it keeps happening.

Maybe it's time to hold the line.

Did the Jets ever offer that? Have you read anything anywhere that suggests the Jets have offered anything up front?

I think that would've come pretty close to getting a deal done.

no, i'm speculating just like everyone else. if the jets didn't offer that, at least, than i would definitely be in the "woody is cheap" camp.

Owners holding the line against players seems to be the reason there may not be football in 2011-12. I'm not disagreeing with you, but just like the Gilbert situation, how Revis is handled will have a ripple effect that isn't necesarilly good for anybody as well.

A deal without some sort of language that penalizes Revis for holding out would be boneheaded. You can't trust a player who has already held out twice. If I'm Revis's agent, I take the big contract with the clause over no contract and a year of not playing.

the problem is, with the current rules, the only way to give revis what he wants is with a huge signing bonus. the clause would therefore have to require revis to cut a check to the jets if he holds out. even if revis agreed to it - it would be a fight of epic proportions to get tens of millions of dollars back from revis if he held out, and that's assuming he still had it in his bank account at that point. on paper a clause like this makes sense, but in practice it's not as clean as it sounds.

besides, i really doubt any agent would recommend a deal to a client that potentially exposed him to having to pay the jets tens of millions.

Ever consider that, Revisites? It's because of the one or two foolish teams that roll over to these players that it keeps happening.

Except, of course, it was the Jets that invited to Revis up to the line by offering to renegotiate his contract.

I think people are forgetting that.

To think he would settle for anything less than top-dollar CB money — after his own head coach made him out to be the best CB that ever walked the earth — is foolish.

The Jets have no one to blame but themselves.

no, i'm speculating just like everyone else. if the jets didn't offer that, at least, than i would definitely be in the "woody is cheap" camp.

Largest year one money I've read was on a "band-aid deal" that would pay Revis $4M this year. Other than that, Revis' camp claims the Jets have offered no signing bonus money at all - and for all the talking Tanny and Woody have done in the press, neither has denied that claim.

I think you might need to join the Woody is cheap camp. smile.gif

Except, of course, it was the Jets that invited to Revis up to the line by offering to renegotiate his contract.

To think he would settle for anything less than top-dollar CB money — after his own head coach made him out to be the best CB that ever walked the earth — is foolish.

The Jets are trying to give him a new contract and pay him top CB money!

That's not good enough for MEvi$!

WAKE UP!

Largest year one money I've read was on a "band-aid deal" that would pay Revis $4M this year. Other than that, Revis' camp claims the Jets have offered no signing bonus money at all - and for all the talking Tanny and Woody have done in the press, neither has denied that claim.

I think you might need to join the Woody is cheap camp. smile.gif

getting revis for $10 million is a bargain of epic proportions. i find it hard to imagine that the jets wouldn't do this. there is no doubt they would pick up the $20 mill option for '11 and '12 so what we're really talking about is $9 mill in an uncapped year - and if they already offered $4 than we're talking about $5 mill.

i think the problem is revis wants the longterm deal NOW - not a bandaid at all.

So do you think Revis would be playing for $1 million if the Jets never approached him? At least the Jets made the first move on this one.

So do you think Revis would be playing for $1 million if the Jets never approached him? At least the Jets made the first move on this one.

Prob not, but Revis' people wouldn't have this working in their favor.

As Michael Lombardi said on 1050 earlier, "The Jets told Revis they wanted to give him a Derek Jeter-like lifetime contract."

Upon hearing that, Revis would be a god damn idiot to not shoot for the moon.

I still think this is a just a lot of bs posturing with both sides to blame (sperm has a couple good posts on this). Fact is the sides are arguing about whether to negotiate on overall amount or guaranteed money right now. This is not even getting close to actual negotiations. They are negotiating what to start negotiating about ... and both sides are firmly holding the line. A deal will get done. This is just ugly now as both sides are fighting for leverage and coming off as total D Bags in doing so. All part of the process sadly.

Chill out fans and don't let our loyalty become a bargaining chip for either side.

The Jets are trying to give him a new contract and pay him top CB money!

That's not good enough for MEvi$!

WAKE UP!

He wants to be paid like the top CB in the game, which we all know he is. And Rex only said it about 15 times a press conference last year.

He's the best, therefore he should get paid like the best.

Where's the disconnect here?

He wants to be paid like the top CB in the game, which we all know he is. And Rex only said it about 15 times a press conference last year.

Total compensation?

The disconnect is that there is no new cba so team cap futures are in flux and the CB market for what the top cb in the game should be paid is terribly inflated with about a six million dollar gap between Aso and A. Samuel. ASo is making not CB money, but QB money. So what is really in question like mikey says is total compensation ... yet the part he revis camp is concerned with total guaranteed compensation. The sides haven't even started to talk about the same thing yet. So any contract with Revis, even if he were being a good soldier and showing up would really necessitate a whole lot of haggling.

They can give Revis a 10 year 3 billion dollar contract but if there's no guaranteed money that contract is just a worthless piece of paper.

Woody needs to stop being cheap.

So you don't think they should agree on total compensation first (like Tannenbaum said a few times this past week)?

The Jets are trying to pay him like the best!

Still that's not good enough, he wants more!

Total compensation is where the problem lies, and that's on MEvi$!

Nap Time!

I think people need to throw the idea of "QB money" out the window.

Let's be honest for a second, folks: Our best player happens to play CB.

No argument about Revis being the best ... but if our best player was Nick Folk, would he demand an outrageously inflated salary just because he was comparatively the best kicker in the league? Revis deserves a big payday and I ain't arguing that ... but the cb salary market is an aberration at a time that is bad for teams to negotiate and bad for revis to try and negotiate.

Neither side is wiling to negotiate as they are both focusing on getting leverage and that is the F'd up part that pisses me off as a fan. Both sides should commit to getting a deal done. Period.

people bring up Uncle Sean like he's unhappy he didn't live up to standard. Like that hold out was some how a mistake from his perspective. I'd bet money he was happy he got paid. and now, retired and no other skills to fall back on, he's probably still happy he got paid.

Than, if true, this just perpetuates the notion that Revis is a greedy dollar chaser and doesn't care about his team or the brothers he sheds blood with on the football field. If he's ok with missing out a year, not helping his team and living up to the big contract he seeks, than he's exactly the player many here are branding him and not worth the trouble than.

I'm not sure why exactly you think this is a good thing.

No argument about Revis being the best ... but if our best player was Nick Folk, would he demand an outrageously inflated salary just because he was comparatively the best kicker in the league? Revis deserves a big payday and I ain't arguing that ... but the cb salary market is an aberration at a time that is bad for teams to negotiate and bad for revis to try and negotiate.

Neither side is wiling to negotiate as they are both focusing on getting leverage and that is the F'd up part that pisses me off as a fan. Both sides should commit to getting a deal done. Period.

I hear what you are saying, but obviously a kicker wouldn't make real loot. How many snaps would a kicker play in comparison with Revis?

And I honestly don't think the CB salary market is that much of an aberration. Sure, Al's deal at that time was bat-sh*t crazy, but a lockdown corner in today's NFL — which is geared toward favoring the WR/QB — is as valuable an asset that a team can have.

I can't believe I just thread through all of this nonsense, but there's just one thing that I have to say. No matter how many times I say it I cannot believe how many people are incapable of comprehending it. Nowhere in the entire business world does one transaction EVER define a "market". NEVER! Some of you people clearly have no idea what that term means if you think that Asomugha's contract set a market for CBs.

If you think he deserves to be paid more than that absurd contract that's your opinion, I may think it's asinine, but it's still your opinion and so be it. To act like he has some sort of right to it and that it has already been dictated that this should be the case based on some imaginary "market" is absolutely 100% false. If anything, Asomugha's contract is exactly the kind of deal that would be considered to be excluded from a market determination given how unbelievably outside of the norm it is. That's what we call an "outlier".

I hear what you are saying, but obviously a kicker wouldn't make real loot. How many snaps would a kicker play in comparison with Revis?

And I honestly don't think the CB salary market is that much of an aberration. Sure, Al's deal at that time was bat-sh*t crazy, but a lockdown corner in today's NFL — which is geared toward favoring the WR/QB — is as valuable an asset that a team can have.

Sure he is a terribly valuable asset ... and I really want to see Revis in TC yesterday ... but unlike a QB that totally controls and offense and can take over a whole game (ala Manning). Revis can only cover one person at a time. Rex's defense set him up to excel at this as he was often the only person in single coverage thus forcing QB's to throw at him often (more than any other CB in the league) ... but again, Revis can only cover one man at a time and in my opinion, that doesn't justify him being the highest paid player on the team.

I can't believe I just thread through all of this nonsense, but there's just one thing that I have to say. No matter how many times I say it I cannot believe how many people are incapable of comprehending it. Nowhere in the entire business world does one transaction EVER define a "market". NEVER! Some of you people clearly have no idea what that term means if you think that Asomugha's contract set a market for CBs.

If you think he deserves to be paid more than that absurd contract that's your opinion, I may think it's asinine, but it's still your opinion and so be it. To act like he has some sort of right to it and that it has already been dictated that this should be the case based on some imaginary "market" is absolutely 100% false. If anything, Asomugha's contract is exactly the kind of deal that would be considered to be excluded from a market determination given how unbelievably outside of the norm it is. That's what we call an "outlier".

Exactly! Buy a house and tell me how many comprables are on the appraisal? :huh:

Sure he is a terribly valuable asset ... and I really want to see Revis in TC yesterday ... but unlike a QB that totally controls and offense and can take over a whole game (ala Manning). Revis can only cover one person at a time. Rex's defense set him up to excel at this as he was often the only person in single coverage thus forcing QB's to throw at him often (more than any other CB in the league) ... but again, Revis can only cover one man at a time and in my opinion, that doesn't justify him being the highest paid player on the team.

I hear ya.

Agree to disagree.

getting revis for $10 million is a bargain of epic proportions. i find it hard to imagine that the jets wouldn't do this. there is no doubt they would pick up the $20 mill option for '11 and '12 so what we're really talking about is $9 mill in an uncapped year - and if they already offered $4 than we're talking about $5 mill.

i think the problem is revis wants the longterm deal NOW - not a bandaid at all.

Me too.

But with all the talking that the Jets have done in the press, and all the "leaks" of $100M+ contracts, I can't believe that we wouldn't've heard that the Jets made a $9M signing bonus offer if they had. Because you're right, when you look at Chris Johnson's contract, that would be a very good deal for Revis considering where he is in his contract. The Jets have been working very hard to paint Revis as greedy, I'm sure they'd want to have it out there that he turned down $9M up front - if he had.

Archived