Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

Because then they're negotiating with themselves given Revis's posturing. Therefore, agree on a term length and then discuss guarantees. If the Jets come up short, Revis has plenty of ammunition to bury the Jets in PR so he doesn't look like the villain.

The real value of the contract is the guaranteed money, and the real guaranteed money is the money that comes in a signing bonus. You can't blame Revis' camp for wanting to hear real bonus money before they get too far on total comp. That works both ways. Revis could agree to 10 years/$130M, and the Jets could say, "Great, how about a $3M signing bonus with that on top of your $550K salary?" Revis says no thanks, and then it's the Jets going to the press about how Revis reneged on a $130M contract.

If the two sides want to get something done, then each side needs to address the other's needs. For Revis, the #1 need is real guarantees.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, I spoke to someone close to Revis' camp this morning and they straight up denied being offered 10/$120m.

..."If they offered (Revis) that, he would have already signed."

Somebody is lying here. This isn't the first time that I've heard conflicting information from the two sides...

No offense, your sources havent been all that hot when you've posted about them leaking info to you.

And I highly doubt that anyone would leak this info and claim that the deal would be done...it paints him in a terrible light and really doesnt help his negotiation stance. His camp is stupid, but not that stupid.

In light of all of this and the impending new cba, I would really love to see the NFL adopt a model like NBA all salaries are slotted based upon draft position or years of service with performance escalators. Just cut the agents out of negotiating with the team. As much as I would love to send in an agent to negotiate my salary with my boss, it doesn't work that way and I am compensated based upon a baseline established by the overall market. The problem with the agents is their desire to establish benchmark salaries to improve their earnings, client base etc. These contracts are bad for players and bad for owners (and just think how much more players would make without having to cough up that 10%).

Cut the agents out! NCAA FB has had enough of them and I think NFL ownership is feeling the same way. Adopt predetermined slotted salaries with universal performance escalators and let the crumb gathers spend their time on endorsement deals rather than meddling with team dynamics in the name of their personal greed.

If you want to talk about the wrong people making money off the work of others, the last thing you should be bringing up is NCAA football. The whole thing is a sham. Can you imagine how much more money those players would make if they weren't forced to spend 2-4 years in a mandatory unpaid apprenticeship?

The real value of the contract is the guaranteed money, and the real guaranteed money is the money that comes in a signing bonus. You can't blame Revis' camp for wanting to hear real bonus money before they get too far on total comp. That works both ways. Revis could agree to 10 years/$130M, and the Jets could say, "Great, how about a $3M signing bonus with that on top of your $550K salary?" Revis says no thanks, and then it's the Jets going to the press about how Revis reneged on a $130M contract.

If the two sides want to get something done, then each side needs to address the other's needs. For Revis, the #1 need is real guarantees.

Except for one thing that is left out: it is Revis who needs to come up with something more than the Jets. He is beholden to them not the other way around. He has a contract with the Jets for 3 more years.

Both sides would like to get a deal done. The problem seems to be that they are miles apart on what would be anything resembling common ground. When a team is willing to redo a contract with 3 years left on it, a player or agent doesn't tell them to shove it up their a$ until they see every term outlined in advance. That is not operating in good faith, and neither is faking an injury.

The Jets aren't totally innocent here (they absolutely could put out a feeler with their total saying "plus a guaranteed amt of at least $20M"). But Revis & his representatives are the ones negotiating like real scumbags. Lying about an injury and then submitting the same proposal that the team rejected 6 months earlier? C'mon.

If you want to talk about the wrong people making money off the work of others, the last thing you should be bringing up is NCAA football. The whole thing is a sham. Can you imagine how much more money those players would make if they weren't forced to spend 2-4 years in a mandatory unpaid apprenticeship?

I'm not disagreeing with you here. College's totally screw their players. Only brought up NCAA FB due to multiple agent investigations with Marvin Austin and many SEC coaches locking out agents and NFL scouts. Point was slotted salaries with guaranteed contracts and performance escalators works better for players and ownership.

I agree.

That could be the Jets' hammer. I could see Revis coming back with his tail between his legs at that point if it got to that. Play for the $5M, and have $15M coming the following year - then, he's a UFA.

He doesn't want to do that. He either knows (or his agent and uncle are feeding him) that the owners are seeking a lower salary cap. Plus there's a good chance Oakland doesn't pick up Aso's 3rd year. Then the highest-paid CB will be making under $10M per season and there will be a lower salary cap. So he's staging this now - as they see it - before it's too late.

If Woody signs off on a trade to deal away the best player this team has had in decades simply because they couldn't find a way to get him signed (while the team he gets traded to does, in fact, sign him), it would rank as one of the more embarrassing concessions this franchise has had to make, ever. It will reek of buffoonery. I wasn't necessarily referring to their ability to compete on the field, per se. They'll still be a good team, but they won't be as good a team as they could have been with Revis on the roster.

That's kind of silly..

First off, trading Revis and garnering a windfall of new assests is not SOJ, SOJ is caving at the last minute to Revis's demand and then watching him go out and get hurt in his first game back due to missing training camp.

And besides, at the end of the day Sanchez is 10x more important to this team winning then revis is. If he's a gamer this year, (and we stay relatively healthy), we win a SB, with or without revis. And SOJ don't win a SB ever, obv.

Except for one thing that is left out: it is Revis who needs to come up with something more than the Jets. He is beholden to them not the other way around. He has a contract with the Jets for 3 more years.

Both sides would like to get a deal done. The problem seems to be that they are miles apart on what would be anything resembling common ground. When a team is willing to redo a contract with 3 years left on it, a player or agent doesn't tell them to shove it up their a$ until they see every term outlined in advance. That is not operating in good faith, and neither is faking an injury.

The Jets aren't totally innocent here, but Revis & his representatives are negotiating like real scumbags.

I agree that neither side is innocent. I think Woody doing the interview circuit was scumbaggery, too. Jets should clamp it, IMHO. Instead, they're working very hard to paint Revis as completely unreasonable. They're doing a lot more to raise the acrimony between the two sides.

Now the Jets hold the power. No doubt about that. But if they wield it like a hammer over his head and play complete and total hardball with the guy, they're going to lose the best player this team has had in my memory - and I'm no kid. If they really want to keep Revis, then they need to think about what happens after this deal gets done. That $40M gap (if true as reported) over 10 years is not insurmountable. If both sides can come halfway, and the Jets can do most of their portion of that in the final couple years of the deal, then they should get that done. At a certain point, they need to let the player and his agent save some face, and be able to say they got the deal they wanted all along - even if it includes a final $30M season all for show.

But they're going to need to come up with a real signing bonus.

Both sides would like to get a deal done. The problem seems to be that they are miles apart on what would be anything resembling common ground. When a team is willing to redo a contract with 3 years left on it, a player or agent doesn't tell them to shove it up their a$$ until they see every term outlined in advance. That is not operating in good faith, and neither is faking an injury.

The Jets aren't totally innocent here, but Revis & his representatives are negotiating like real scumbags.

you can infer bad faith from revis that this wasn't done months ago for a signing bonus in 2010 to get him to $10 mill this year and having the jets pick up the next 2 for $20 mill guaranteed now. that would've given him 3 yrs for $30 mill (all guaranteed), made him the 2nd highest paid CB in the league per year, and given him enough security and time to renogotiate a longer term deal.

that would be a reasonable compromise between the jets (who have some leverage since they have the guy locked up for 3 more) and revis (who clearly outplayed his contract).

Six Flags New England. It was over 90 all day and not a hint of shade in that park! But they have three very cool coasters, and a few other decent ones.

Anyway...

The Jets saying that they won't discuss bonus money until the total compensation is decided upon should be taken in the same vein as Revis' Aso money demand - as a negotiating stance. Each side needs to come off of their position to get something done. The Jets need to say, "Hey, if you'd be willing to do this 10/$120M package, we'll be willing to do x in bonus money." How hard is that?

no sh*t.i was just there the other day.bizzaro is outta control!!now i see why your brains are scrambled.

His out is that 2011 isn't guaranteed and then Asomugha becomes a UFA at age 30.

CB Darrelle Revis will not report to training camp Tuesday, Aug. 10, in time for the NFL-imposed deadline to earn another accrued season of service, according to a source familiar with Revis' thought process, reports Adam Caplan, of FOXSports.com. Revis wants a deal eclipsing Oakland Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha's $15.155 million average per season. Revis has said recently that he would accept a deal that pays him at least 50 cents higher than Asomugha's average per year. Those three years in Asomugha's deal are fully guaranteed for skill and injury, a source familiar with his contract said. The Jets do not appear eager to give Revis a lot of guaranteed money.

From the KFFL site

this is not the first time Jets contract negotiations were questioned. They said they offered Leon 5 mil per year. Leon said he was offered 2. Revis track record is better than the NYJ.

What track record? Like holding out as a rookie? And, not living up the the contract he agreed to and is still on the hook for? That record?

no sh*t.i was just there the other day.bizzaro is outta control!!now i see why your brains are scrambled.

Bizarro is excellent! Really enjoyed Batman, too. So freaking hot yesterday that even spending some time in the water park didn't help. Pretty sure the wave pool was 85F. Lol!

What track record? Like holding out as a rookie? And, not living up the the contract he agreed to and is still on the hook for? That record?

I like bit, but he spews some of the most retarded sh*t ever.

3 years in the league 2 hold outs, lies and fakes injuries. That is an outstanding track record for Mevi$.

Mikey T's track record is he breaks the bank for the right players.

+1

Even Charlie Casserly (the man Gilbert held out against) said that his holdout netted him more money than he would've made without it.

you failed to mention that the front man of the panthers claimed it was the worst descision he ever made.gilbert turned out to be an "overpaid" nobody.it worked out for gilbert,not so much for the panthers

It's like people forgot how ridiculous Revis' season was last year.

I think there was even a small faction that attempted to base a religion off his shutdown corner skills.

Lord Revis Christ?

How quickly all of you MONGOS forget.

No, he had a great season...however, a huge deal like he is demanding will hurt the team in the long run, and one good season does not dignify a pay raise. Especially since he already held out for his CURRENT deal!

No, he had a great season...however, a huge deal like he is demanding will hurt the team in the long run, and one good season does not dignify a pay raise. Especially since he already held out for his CURRENT deal!

not to mention that he has put himself in this position -- because of the rules this year regarding guarantees, the only real way to give him what he wants is a massive signing bonus. but the jets have now been burned twice by this guy with holdouts in 3 years and if they cut him the big bonus check, he'll just sit out again in 2 or 3 years when his salary number is "too low."

Classic Jets low-balling garbage.

Regardless of Crazy Al, Revis needs to be paid a cent more than ASO.

Quit screwing around and build a contract that satisfies that need FIRST.

Otherwise, please stop wasting our time.

CLOWNS.

if you want the jets to pay revis 16.5million/year then you don't wan tto ever see the jets build a team that can be good for a long time. this is just a stupid post.

not to mention that he has put himself in this position -- because of the rules this year regarding guarantees, the only real way to give him what he wants is a massive signing bonus. but the jets have now been burned twice by this guy with holdouts in 3 years and if they cut him the big bonus check, he'll just sit out again in 2 or 3 years when his salary number is "too low."

Obviously, they have to compromise.

I agree that Revis can't expect a $30M signing bonus, but the largest number I've seen in terms of real compensation from the Jets for 2010 is in the $4M range. That's too low. They get into the teens, and this is getting done.

if you want the jets to pay revis 16.5million/year then you don't wan tto ever see the jets build a team that can be good for a long time. this is just a stupid post.

Last I checked there isn't a salary cap.

Woody could front-load the deal with a ridiculous signing bonus, no?

I don't see why this can't be done without mortgaging our future.

Obviously, they have to compromise.

I agree that Revis can't expect a $30M signing bonus, but the largest number I've seen in terms of real compensation from the Jets for 2010 is in the $4M range. That's too low. They get into the teens, and this is getting done.

i think if revis would've been willing to accept a $9 million dollar bonus this year and have the jets pick up the $20 million in guarantees for '11 and '12 now it would've been done long ago. that would be a 1000% raise over what he was due to make this year and give him 3 at $30 mill guaranteed. this would've been far richer than the stopgap measure accepted by chris johnson. they could then get him on the field, give revis a "worst case" $30 mill in fully guaranteed salary for the next 3. likely they'd negotiate a long term deal when the labor picture becomes a little clearer.

Are they not saving money by abolishing the final two years of the deal?

Regardless, please let the Faneca madness END.

They are paying him NOT to be there... they saved little to no money by cutting him.

Last I checked there isn't a salary cap.

Woody could front-load the deal with a ridiculous signing bonus, no?

I don't see why this can't be done without mortgaging our future.

you don't give a guy with 2 holdouts in 3 years under his belt all his $$ up front

Archived