Vernon's Been Burn'in in the Early Going

villain_the_foe

Defensive line is not a young man's game. There are very rare instances where a college athlete gets drafted and is instantly good at that position. 3-5 years is the normal incubation time... sometimes like Vrabel it takes 7 years.

for the record I never said Gholston would be awesome, but I did say it was too soon to write him off... let's hope he carries this momentum in the regular season. With his speed and strength he's not an easy match up for any NFL offensive lineman.

Maybe he and Jake Long can relive some college memories.

I cant front, many people have more than enough reason to be doubtful. But I've said it since the decline started in 08. Not everyone can be made into a hybrid player. Some people are just good at putting their hands in the dirt, getting past some fatties and hitting the guy with the football...hopefully behind the line of scrimmage.

I said back when Mangini was here that its a mistake to force him to be a LB when you see that he's not good AT ALL playing off the line.

I think Gholston is going to have a pretty telling preseason, but I think that when he gets those live games under his belt he's going to be a force this season. Imagine if we actually had the DE that we needed for the past few years 3 YEARS AGO! lol. Im glad that Ryan and Tanny went Wilson in the first round, because if Gholston does what he's been doing in OTA's and so far in training camp, this team will be, without a doubt, the best put together Jet team talent wise in this history of its existence. I'll be a shame for us not to atleast make it to the Superbowl because I think we're the most talented team in the NFL and in the top 5 best coached team in the league.

You said it I think he is going to have a monster pre-season which is going to help him get his groove back. With the emergence of Gholston, Cro in camp is killin'em, and we sign Revis, Got big Jenks back and with Jason Taylor and Pace coming off the edge and a damn good nickel back in Wilson, This could be one of the best defenses in football history if the cards fall right. Every great defense had these components big dominant man in the middle, outside rushers, and two lockdown corners.

If Rex is scheming to fit the talents of our worst defensive player, we are in serious trouble.

How do you know that Gholston is our worst player? Because an organization had him out of position for 2 years trying to make him something that he isnt and he didnt flourish? Yeah, I totally see your point.

The idea of genreating a pass rush without blitzing makes me very happy...... :D

Rex will forever blitz. Thats the nature of his defensive scheme. However, It would be great to actually get sacks from the blitzing, which we really didnt have last year. But getting more guys who can shed blocks in order to generate an even greater pass rush will up that sack number (regarding the defensive linemen). And THATS when this defense will be among the all-time greats.

You cant throw the ball, you cant run the ball, you cant block all the guys we're sending, you dont know where the overload rush is coming from and the QB cant get the ball out of his hand most of the time and when he does its a bad pass thats either intercepted or an incompletion.

Thats nasty.

How do you know that Gholston is our worst player? Because an organization had him out of position for 2 years trying to make him something that he isnt and he didnt flourish? Yeah, I totally see your point.

He is a complete and utter disgrace as a football player. Why on earth we didn't pick Lamar Woodley is beyond me. Watch Ghost play for 5 sec ... and it is immediately apparent that he doesn't have a clue.

He is a complete and utter disgrace as a football player. Why on earth we didn't pick Lamar Woodley is beyond me. Watch Ghost play for 5 sec ... and it is immediately apparent that he doesn't have a clue.

I think we passed on Woodley because I'm not sure they let you draft NFL players.

Hardy har har ...

A blind man could have seen that woodley was the better 3-4 OLB coming out of college.

At least we got Harris.

And by a blind man you mean you...Seeing as just about everyone and their mother had Gholston ranked as a much better prospect than Woodley which is why he was taken 40 picks lower than Gholston, albeit in a different draft class.

Getting Woodley would have meant no Revis or Harris, we done okay.

I wasn't Gholston's biggest fan by any means coming out, but he was what he was. A physical specimen who was going to boom or bust. I wanted Matt Ryan or McFadden but they were gone (not that DMC would have been a great pick).

I’ve bad mouthed Gholston as much as anyone, but the guy had another sack in this mornings practice.

Ya never know maybe Rex can turn this stiff around

Who is he getting these sacks against???

Archived