Vernon's Been Burn'in in the Early Going

villain_the_foe

Vernon is going to be a beast this year. Count on it. :lol:

Vernon's Been Burnin' in the Early Going

By Nick Gallo

Posted 2 hours ago

aaOn the Jets’ first day of training camp he was active and batted down a pass. On the second day he “sacked” the quarterback and blew up plays in the backfield a number of times.

Defensive end Vernon Gholston, earning multiple “attaboys” from defensive line coach Mark Carrier and his teammates, has been showing a spark that many Jets fans have hoped to see since he was selected with the sixth overall pick in the 2008 draft.

“The biggest thing,” Gholston said, “is trying to get better and be a little bit more aggressive as you know what you’re doing and know the playbook.”

In his third year, the 6’3”, 264-pound former Ohio State standout understands that he needs to make his presence known on the field to quiet his doubters. Since the spring, Gholston has been taking some reps with the first team, and at this morning’s training camp practice he was seen in a variety of different packages and formations that allowed him to use his combination of quickness and might that was so impressive as a Buckeye and at the NFL combine.

A big factor in his success will be returning from linebacker to the end position he played with the Buckeyes.

“Reading the blocking schemes and just getting that familiarity back, that's the biggest thing when you’re talking about putting your hand back on the ground," Gholston said. "It’s something that is coming back to me and I’m going to continue to get better, and obviously the quicker it happens, the better.”

The ease that he feels at DE was evident today, and his speed and power are a difficult combination for an offensive lineman to deal with. In some of the 1-on-1 drills he made tackles miss and bulled past tight ends. The ability he has shown this offseason has impressed his teammates and coaches.

“He’s actually working the outside, inside — he’s all over,” veteran linebacker Bryan Thomas said. “Just watching him out there, he’s seems faster, seems stronger. He’s already really strong anyway. He’s looking really good out there.”

Head coach Rex Ryan has mentioned Gholston in each of his news conferences here at Cortland, saying that he has had “a couple of big days”. If those days turn into a couple of big weeks, Gholston may give himself a great chance to consistently show his mettle in the regular season.

“He’s got to step up and show what he can do,” Ryan said. “This is year three. That’s when you’re going to do it. I think the young man is going to play in the league a long time, but I want him to be a Jet. I want to see him make plays right now for us.”

Highly touted coming out of college, where he was All-Big Ten first team and the conference's Defensive Lineman of the Year as a senior, Gholston has not put up the impressive numbers that were seen when he routinely abused offensive tackles and laid out opposing quarterbacks in college. As a Buckeye he started 25 games and finished with 87 tackles, 30.5 tackles for loss and 21.5 sacks.

On the professional level, however, he’s only started three games and made 30 tackles in his two seasons as a Jet. He realizes the amount of time he spends on the field and the production he provides must increase and that the coaching staff will be keeping a weather eye on his progress.

“They told me they’re going to be on me,” Gholston said. “Obviously they expect a lot out of me. The biggest thing right now for me is to continue to take steps forward to get better. Knowing the playbook, I have a pretty solid foundation for that from experience.”

He’s two years deep into his time with the Jets, and now has a full year’s knowledge of Ryan's and Mike Pettine’s defense. The next step is regaining that status as a major threat to attack the quarterback on every pass play, and to do it when it counts.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-1/Vernons-Been-Burnin-in-the-Early-Going/6de3b7ec-74ff-49cd-869b-8a7398da74e1

This would be a really nice surprise. Really hope he can put it together. Doubt it...but hope I'm wrong.

Agreed, Jif.

What could be a better way to soften the blow of a Revis holdout than the have Gholston suddenly start playing like the #6 pick. Fingers crossed...

This would be a really nice surprise. Really hope he can put it together. Doubt it...but hope I'm wrong.

I cant front, many people have more than enough reason to be doubtful. But I've said it since the decline started in 08. Not everyone can be made into a hybrid player. Some people are just good at putting their hands in the dirt, getting past some fatties and hitting the guy with the football...hopefully behind the line of scrimmage.

I said back when Mangini was here that its a mistake to force him to be a LB when you see that he's not good AT ALL playing off the line.

I think Gholston is going to have a pretty telling preseason, but I think that when he gets those live games under his belt he's going to be a force this season. Imagine if we actually had the DE that we needed for the past few years 3 YEARS AGO! lol. Im glad that Ryan and Tanny went Wilson in the first round, because if Gholston does what he's been doing in OTA's and so far in training camp, this team will be, without a doubt, the best put together Jet team talent wise in this history of its existence. I'll be a shame for us not to atleast make it to the Superbowl because I think we're the most talented team in the NFL and in the top 5 best coached team in the league.

If Rex can make him a player he deserves that extension just on that.

I agree. That may be alittle bit of the reason already. Remember (or atleast I do), Gholston was getting praise back in OTAs. There was a day where Rex said that if they were in pads that day Gholston would have had 3 sacks that day. I dont want to say that his "light" has come on because I've always said that he's out of position, but more importantly, I think he's showing everyone that he was out of position.

I almost have a scared feeling inside me just thinking "how the heck could the jets be THIS GOOD in my lifetime" lol.

But I've said it since the decline started in 08. Not everyone can be made into a hybrid player.

You're right. He is not an LB, but he ain't a 3-4 DE either, he is a 4-3 DE. He is undersized for the 3-4. Unless Rex is switching to the 4-3 he is gonna have trouble. He should never have been drafted by a 3-4 team, there is no place for him, he belongs on a 4-3 team.

Agreed, Jif.

What could be a better way to soften the blow of a Revis holdout than the have Gholston suddenly start playing like the #6 pick. Fingers crossed...

That would be a very welcomed unexpected surprise.

I cant front, many people have more than enough reason to be doubtful. But I've said it since the decline started in 08. Not everyone can be made into a hybrid player. Some people are just good at putting their hands in the dirt, getting past some fatties and hitting the guy with the football...hopefully behind the line of scrimmage.

I said back when Mangini was here that its a mistake to force him to be a LB when you see that he's not good AT ALL playing off the line.

I think Gholston is going to have a pretty telling preseason, but I think that when he gets those live games under his belt he's going to be a force this season. Imagine if we actually had the DE that we needed for the past few years 3 YEARS AGO! lol. Im glad that Ryan and Tanny went Wilson in the first round, because if Gholston does what he's been doing in OTA's and so far in training camp, this team will be, without a doubt, the best put together Jet team talent wise in this history of its existence. I'll be a shame for us not to atleast make it to the Superbowl because I think we're the most talented team in the NFL and in the top 5 best coached team in the league.

I was never a big fan of Gholston as a player and wanted absolutely nothing to do with him in the draft. However, it was hard to blame the Jets for the pick at the time. That said, I've never expected big things from Gholston. Though I never expected him to be this bad either. However, I dont think it helped that he was drafted and asked to be a read and react player. That was the worst thing for him. He needs to be with a hand in the dirt. Period. I hope he finds a role on this team. Finding any role on the team, will be a big welcomed addition.

I'm not ready to say we have a top 5 best coached team in the league. Rex is obviously a defensive master mind and I love him, but he's got a lot to learn about being a HC. He proved last season that unlike Mangini, he knows how to learn from mistakes, so I'm very optimistic about him. Not a big fan of Schotty at all.

You're right. He is not an LB, but he ain't a 3-4 DE either, he is a 4-3 DE. He is undersized for the 3-4. Unless Rex is switching to the 4-3 he is gonna have trouble. He should never have been drafted by a 3-4 team, there is no place for him, he belongs on a 4-3 team.

Again with this? We don't really run a 3-4.

Jets play a 4-3 version about 40% of the time.

If Gholston continues to play well in camp a large package will be put in for him.

Also if Gholston continues to play well Bit must be banned. :D

The Jets certainly don't play a strict 3-4. They play a hybrid for sure and definitely have a number of 4-3 and 46 looks, which is when I imagine you'll see Gholston most. Plus, while you don't want a guy Gholston's size as an every down 3-4 end, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he can handle some snaps out of the formation in nickel and dime situations. He's certainly strong enough.

Of course, none of this means he'll actually produce, I just don't think it's hopeless based purely on the Jets' defensive scheme.

Defensive line is not a young man's game. There are very rare instances where a college athlete gets drafted and is instantly good at that position. 3-5 years is the normal incubation time... sometimes like Vrabel it takes 7 years.

for the record I never said Gholston would be awesome, but I did say it was too soon to write him off... let's hope he carries this momentum in the regular season. With his speed and strength he's not an easy match up for any NFL offensive lineman.

Its all about the scheme. Rex is gonna find a scheme thats gonna fit VG. In Rex I trust.

That would be true if the Jets played a normal two gap 3-4. They don't. They play a very unusual one gap 3-4 that primarily asks the D-Lineman to apply pressure, not read and react. Gholston is now in the right situation. He just has to step up.

I keep hearing talk about Rex using a one gapping 3-4. There are four gaps tackle to tackle, if you one gap all three down linemen a gap is open every play. If you want to one gap using a 4-3 seems better.

Anyway, trying to make Gholston a linebacker was a brain fart by the Jets. Ohio State would have made him one if they thought he could do it. He was awful on all the combine drills involving change of direction. His massive strength doesn't get fully utilized at linebacker. The whole idea was a joke, its a shame Mangini couldn't see this early on. Especially since they signed Pace right before that draft so the need for a pass rushing LBer was already gone.

During the draft I remember Mayock saying Gholston gets out of his stance faster than any player he's seen. A useless ability for a standup linebacker, but something that matters on the line. Gholston is back where he belongs.

FAIL

Jets are not a 3-4 team... heck them seemed to run 5-2 and 2-5 as much as 3-4...lol

Rex just puts guys out there based on matchups not based on a specific Scheme like the Mangini/BB way.

I keep hearing talk about Rex using a one gapping 3-4. There are four gaps tackle to tackle, if you one gap all three down linemen a gap is open every play. If you want to one gap using a 4-3 seems better.

Anyway, trying to make Gholston a linebacker was a brain fart by the Jets. Ohio State would have made him one if they thought he could do it. He was awful on all the combine drills involving change of direction. His massive strength doesn't get fully utilized at linebacker. The whole idea was a joke, its a shame Mangini couldn't see this early on. Especially since they signed Pace right before that draft so the need for a pass rushing LBer was already gone.

During the draft I remember Mayock saying Gholston gets out of his stance faster than any player he's seen. A useless ability for a standup linebacker, but something that matters on the line. Gholston is back where he belongs.

I agree

i said the same thing before we drafted the guy. but at this point if he can be slightly productive i'd be happy. i don't see it, but we can all dream right???? if this doesn't work maybe he can loss some weight and play safety or does anyone know if he kicks well?

Archived