Sources: Kellen Clemens could be dealt

SoFlaJets

Clemens has said he thinks he can start in the NFL, he will not help Sanchez and he is not a loyal soldier. He is 100% out for himself.

Brunell and Oconnell will help Sanchez, that is what backup QB's are for.

The JETS needed a clipboard holder who knew his sh*t and would not be waiting to pounce on his chance to start, that is what a #2 does.

If Sanchez went down with a major injury it really does not matter who is the backup the season is over.

perhaps unfairly this post really rubbed me the wrong way. i want a backup QB who is hungry and thinks he has a shot to be "the guy" absolutely.

secondly, what if sanchez misses 1-3 games? season won't be over. just need someone to hover around .500 for a couple games.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care how good the D is, we're not winning a championship with Clemens or Brunell behind center. Sanchez gives us a shot.

I think we could win with Clemens...not so much with the 40 year old lefty, which kinda sucks, but Clemens could probably work something out with the talent on offense and defense. It's not like Sanchez is worlds better than either of these guys though...

I don't get what Clemens did that has people so convinced he's not cut out for this league or starting in it. I just know it started in '07 when he inexplicably took alot of sh*t for not winning...despite the fact that he was the QB in all 4 of our wins and he only started 7(?) games that year.

you are making a mistake I make all the time with the draft:

Confusing what is right and smart with what is actually gonna happen.

It's pretty settled that Clemens is a better QB than Mark Brunnel right now but that's not how the Jets see it.

So I believe Cimini they will deal him for a 6th or something like that, especially if he keeps playing well in preseason.

I don't think Kellen Clemens is a better QB than the QB at Rutgers, let alone better than Brunell.

perhaps unfairly this post really rubbed me the wrong way. i want a backup QB who is hungry and thinks he has a shot to be "the guy" absolutely.

secondly, what if sanchez misses 1-3 games? season won't be over. just need someone to hover around .500 for a couple games.

You do not want that when Sanchez is 110% THE guy, you need someone who is there to support him not try to look better than him.

The eggs are in the Sanchez basket, even if Kellen looked AWESOME this offseason Mark is the guy and having someone pushing behind him would just cause un-needed controversy.

The 49ers...Rams...Vikings...Bucs...Titans maybe...Jaguars...Seattle maybe...just because Clemens is zomgworsteverz for not carrying us to the SB in '07 doesn't mean some team wouldn't find him useful. He's smart, he's a young vet with upside, he doesn't talk sh*t...I get the feeling someone will take him and be happy for it. I hope it's the 49ers because 1. I believe Clemens isn't all that bad and 2. they have a nice offense set up if they get solid QB play.

I agree with this.

If there is one thing that seeming always proves to be true... every year at least one "journeyman" QB pops up with a new team and the lightbulb goes on.

KC was high on a lot of draft boards, not just ours. Who knows what another offensive coordinator might get out of him...

Clemens has said he thinks he can start in the NFL, he will not help Sanchez and he is not a loyal soldier. He is 100% out for himself.

Brunell and Oconnell will help Sanchez, that is what backup QB's are for.

The JETS needed a clipboard holder who knew his sh*t and would not be waiting to pounce on his chance to start, that is what a #2 does.

If Sanchez went down with a major injury it really does not matter who is the backup the season is over.

I don't buy this at all. The guy's been an excellent teammate despite having a lot of sh*t thrown at him since he was drafted. He looked good in one year of relief of Pennington, only to see Favre come in the following year. He's getting another shot to start, and the Jets trade up for Sanchez. He has every right to be frustrated - no matter how of of he's he's brought on himself for not seizing the job on his own. Still, I think he's been pretty good.

I'm glad he thinks he can start. That's my preference for a backup QB over a washed up has been. I get why Brunell's here, but I hope he never has to see the field for an extended period of time.

No matter what happens at backup QB this year, I think they need to draft one next year.

Would anyone be opposed to keeping Clemens AND Brunell, cutting O'Connell and Ainge? I think that would be the best scenario. Clemens goes into the season as the # 2 and Brunell is the # 3 / extra QB coach. Brad Smith would be the emergency QB.

Based on Hard Knocks last night, Sanchez either lacks confidence or has a bit of an attitude issue, which is acceptable for a 23-year old. He NEEDS a guy like Brunell who's had success at the QB position and isn't gunning for his job. Brunell seemed like he was Sanchez's buddy on the show, while Clemens was nowhere to be found.

Would anyone be opposed to keeping Clemens AND Brunell, cutting O'Connell and Ainge? I think that would be the best scenario. Clemens goes into the season as the # 2 and Brunell is the # 3 / extra QB coach. Brad Smith would be the emergency QB.

Based on Hard Knocks last night, Sanchez either lacks confidence or has a bit of an attitude issue, which is acceptable for a 23-year old. He NEEDS a guy like Brunell who's had success at the QB position and isn't gunning for his job. Brunell seemed like he was Sanchez's buddy on the show, while Clemens was nowhere to be found.

I'd rather that also. Hey, if Brunell is such a great mentor, then let him mentor Clemens if Sanchez gets hurt. Because he sure can't play QB anymore. The last time this guy took one meaningful NFL snap was week 9 of the 2006 season. If the Saints, who had him for a couple of years, felt he was a viable option as the team's #2 QB, rather than as its #1 mentor, he'd still be on their team. Patrick Ramsey is an upgrade over no one, yet the Saints feel he's clearly an upgrade over Brunell.

Hey, just because I like to see Rex Ryan coaching defensive players on technique doesn't mean I want to see him playing on the field.

You do not want that when Sanchez is 110% THE guy, you need someone who is there to support him not try to look better than him.

The eggs are in the Sanchez basket, even if Kellen looked AWESOME this offseason Mark is the guy and having someone pushing behind him would just cause un-needed controversy.

i can see your point. an old vet - fine. but show me a young backup who doesn't want to be a starter and i'll show you a loser.

even seneca wallace - one of the top backups for the past 10 years went to cleveland (CLEVELAND) to try to start.

i can see your point. an old vet - fine. but show me a young backup who doesn't want to be a starter and i'll show you a loser.

There is a difference between "want" and "thinks he already can be", Clemens feels entitled to it based on his resume.... Ainge and Oconnell I am sure would love to be starters but also know their role with the team.

There is a difference between "want" and "thinks he already can be", Clemens feels entitled to it based on his resume.... Ainge and Oconnell I am sure would love to be starters but also know their role with the team.

if he didn't have the ambition we'd all be mocking him for not having his heart in the game.

clemens has done nothing but what the organization asked of him and has been passed over multiple times for the starter's job. if he thinks he's getting a raw deal, what's wrong with him trying to go somewhere where he can have a bigger role? so now we judge backup QBs on whether they are so bad and/or lack the confidence to say, "hey, i can start in this league."

if he didn't have the ambition we'd all be mocking him for not having his heart in the game.

clemens has done nothing but what the organization asked of him and has been passed over multiple times for the starter's job. if he thinks he's getting a raw deal, what's wrong with him trying to go somewhere where he can have a bigger role? so now we judge backup QBs on whether they are so bad and/or lack the confidence to say, "hey, i can start in this league."

He really is not saying "hey, I can start in this league" he is saying "Hey, I know they already made up their minds so I would really like to go start somewhere else" He has not earned a starting job anywhere and he obviously has no desire to sit back and be a company guy.

He really is not saying "hey, I can start in this league" he is saying "Hey, I know they already made up their minds so I would really like to go start somewhere else" He has not earned a starting job anywhere and he obviously has no desire to sit back and be a company guy.

first of all those look pretty similar to me. i can't even really see what you're so mad at clemens about.

also what are you basing all this on? he's been our back up for what 4 years? other than occasionally saying he thinks he can start i've heard nothing about him demanding to be traded. in fact when they interviewed him he sounded like he hoped he would beat out ainge and mcconnell and be the 3rd stringer.

not sure where you're getting your impressions from. he may be itching for his shot somewhere but he's done everything we've asked (including signing his tender) since he's been here.

WOW The JETS defense banged up 2 of the Giants QBs...NFL take note. WE'RE COMING ITS GO TIME!!!!!!!!!!

Agent: Giants' Jim Sorgi out 2-3 weeks

By Ohm Youngmisuk

ALBANY, N.Y. -- As it turns out, Rex Ryan's Jets injured two New York Giants quarterbacks.

Backup quarterback Jim Sorgi has a torn capsule in his right throwing shoulder and will be out two to three weeks, his agent, Matt Brei, said on Thursday. Sorgi will join Eli Manning, who has 12 stitches on his head from the game against the Jets, on the sideline for Saturday's game against the Steelers.

Sorgi underwent an MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery and was told by doctors that the injury is not related to the partially torn labrum he has dealt with in the past. Tendinitis from the partially torn labrum forced him onto the injured reserve last season with the Colts.

Sorgi's injury was first reported by the Newark Star-Ledger.

Sorgi could miss the remainder of the preseason because of the hit he absorbed from Jets linebacker Lance Laury, who blasted the backup quarterback a second after he delivered his second touchdown pass to Victor Cruz on Monday night.

This happened after Manning suffered a 3-inch gash on his forehead after being drilled by Jets linebacker Calvin Pace, losing his helmet and hitting his head on Jets safety Jim Leonhard's facemask.

With their top two quarterbacks out, the Giants were forced to practice with just one healthy quarterback, third-stringer Rhett Bomar. Head coach Tom Coughlin said it was the first time he had ever had to practice with only one quarterback.

The Giants signed rookie free agent Dominic Randolph on Wednesday night and released injured tight end Jake Ballard. Randolph was in the Giants' rookie minicamp in May before being released.

Bomar, a second-year pro who was a practice-squad player as a rookie, expects to see the majority of the action Saturday against the Steelers.

Though Manning feels well enough to practice, he won't be able to fully return until he can wear a helmet without impacting his wound.

The 49ers...Rams...Vikings...Bucs...Titans maybe...Jaguars...Seattle maybe...just because Clemens is zomgworsteverz for not carrying us to the SB in '07 doesn't mean some team wouldn't find him useful. He's smart, he's a young vet with upside, he doesn't talk sh*t...I get the feeling someone will take him and be happy for it. I hope it's the 49ers because 1. I believe Clemens isn't all that bad and 2. they have a nice offense set up if they get solid QB play.

I agree. I really think it is a major mistake to release him

ESPN Insider is reporting that Jim Sorgi is hurt and the Giants could be looking at either Kellen Clemens or Sage Rosenfels...

I'll trade him straight up for Victor Cruz withouit blinking.

But really, I think it's hightly unlikely that the Jets move him. He's a better option than O'Connell at the very least, and very possibly better than Brunell as well. No way they trade him for a late pick. Maybe if they could get a player they felt would help them out... ? But that's just not the sort of trade you see in the NFL, especially at this stage of the year.

ESPN Insider is reporting that Jim Sorgi is hurt and the Giants could be looking at either Kellen Clemens or Sage Rosenfels...

hmmmm

the sorgi injury changes everything, nobody wants to trade for a QB now, but if you HAVE to.....

wonder if they have a CB or DE that tanny would want......

But really, I think it's hightly unlikely that the Jets move him. He's a better option than O'Connell at the very least, and very possibly better than Brunell as well. No way they trade him for a late pick. Maybe if they could get a player they felt would help them out... ? But that's just not the sort of trade you see in the NFL, especially at this stage of the year.

i find myself agreeing more and more often with you lately - time for some soul searching.

Except if they were just going to release him anyway. In that case, a 7th round pick in 2014 is more than they get by cutting him in 2 weeks. Agree that they wouldn't make a trade for a player they were otherwise keeping, but everything points to the Jets looking to cut him (unless they want a 7-figure 3rd-string QB, which is possible but unlikely). In that case, anything is better than nothing.

Except if they were just going to release him anyway. In that case, a 7th round pick in 2014 is more than they get by cutting him in 2 weeks. Agree that they wouldn't make a trade for a player they were otherwise keeping, but everything points to the Jets looking to cut him (unless they want a 7-figure 3rd-string QB, which is possible but unlikely). In that case, anything is better than nothing.

You really think so?

The difference between Kellen and O'Connell's pay is about $700K. Does that really matter in an uncapped year?

I think the QB position could be set for another overhaul in 2011. Brunell is no lock to last another year. I'm afraid if the Jets call on Brunell's services for any meaningful snaps that he'll be exposed right away. They're trying to talk him up in camp, but is anyone really buying it? And O'Connell sucks. Clemens could very well be the backup that continues to stick. I think they need to take another midround QB in next year's draft, and if Clemens and Brunell both go, they'll need another vet, too.

Saturday's game should be interesting. It'll tell us a little bit more about where these guys stand.

Archived