Sources: Kellen Clemens could be dealt

SoFlaJets

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- If it looked like the New York Jets were showcasing quarterback Kellen Clemens on Monday night for a possible trade, it's because they were.

With Mark Sanchez and Mark Brunell locked into the first two quarterback jobs, the Jets are willing to deal Clemens before the start of the regular season, according to league sources.

The Jets found no takers when they tried to trade Clemens before the draft, but the recent arrival of Brunell could make him expendable. Clemens may have improved his value around the league with a solid performance against the New York Giants.

If the Jets don't receive a worthwhile offer, they could keep him as the No. 3 quarterback. But make no mistake: They will answer the phone if another team calls with an offer.

Coach Rex Ryan was unusually short when asked Wednesday why Clemens, not Brunell, was the first quarterback off the bench in the preseason opener.

"We knew we were going to go with Brunell [as the permanent No. 2]. I wanted to play Kellen," Ryan said. "We just threw him in there in that situation. He showed himself well."

Clemens completed 7 of 10 passes for 84 yards. He was replaced by Brunell, who was followed by Kevin O'Connell (two interceptions). The Jets also have Erik Ainge, who is not in camp. He was placed on the non-football illness list, but his future with the team is murky.

"I don't think that was any sort of pecking order or indicator," Clemens said after the game. "I was told they were going to give me a shot earlier on in the game, but I haven't been told that has anything to do with where we [the quarterbacks] are ranked as far as 1-2-3. As far as I know, the No. 1 and 2 spots are pretty locked up."

Clemens is due to make $1.1 million this season (non-guaranteed), which is high for a third-string quarterback. That, too, could factor into a decision to trade him.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who is really looking for a #2 QB this late in camp, and who will see clemens as such an improvement over the current #2 that they will give up something to get clemens rather than wait for the jets to cut him ?

KC, no worries mate

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- If it looked like the New York Jets were showcasing quarterback Kellen Clemens on Monday night for a possible trade, it's because they were.

With Mark Sanchez and Mark Brunell locked into the first two quarterback jobs, the Jets are willing to deal Clemens before the start of the regular season, according to league sources.

The Jets found no takers when they tried to trade Clemens before the draft, but the recent arrival of Brunell could make him expendable. Clemens may have improved his value around the league with a solid performance against the New York Giants.

If the Jets don't receive a worthwhile offer, they could keep him as the No. 3 quarterback. But make no mistake: They will answer the phone if another team calls with an offer.

Coach Rex Ryan was unusually short when asked Wednesday why Clemens, not Brunell, was the first quarterback off the bench in the preseason opener.

"We knew we were going to go with Brunell [as the permanent No. 2]. I wanted to play Kellen," Ryan said. "We just threw him in there in that situation. He showed himself well."

Clemens completed 7 of 10 passes for 84 yards. He was replaced by Brunell, who was followed by Kevin O'Connell (two interceptions). The Jets also have Erik Ainge, who is not in camp. He was placed on the non-football illness list, but his future with the team is murky.

"I don't think that was any sort of pecking order or indicator," Clemens said after the game. "I was told they were going to give me a shot earlier on in the game, but I haven't been told that has anything to do with where we [the quarterbacks] are ranked as far as 1-2-3. As far as I know, the No. 1 and 2 spots are pretty locked up."

Clemens is due to make $1.1 million this season (non-guaranteed), which is high for a third-string quarterback. That, too, could factor into a decision to trade him.

I doubt Clemens will be traded. If the Jets want to go with a 40 year old back-up QB then good for them. O'Connell is horrible.

Are you Jets fans worried about what would happen if Sanchez missed a few games?

We're pretty screwed at the QB position regardless if Sanchez gets hurt.

everyone is. remember that curtis painter guy ?

lol

what the troll is saying is chowds are terrified of what this defense will do to brady with that sissy o-line blocking for her

who is really looking for a #2 QB this late in camp, and who will see clemens as such an improvement over the current #2 that they will give up something to get clemens rather than wait for the jets to cut him ?

KC, no worries mate

Chicago is...

Total garbage from Cimini he wont be dealt. Why would they trade their only capable backup that knows the offense from 2006-10? Bull.

you are making a mistake I make all the time with the draft:

Confusing what is right and smart with what is actually gonna happen.

It's pretty settled that Clemens is a better QB than Mark Brunnel right now but that's not how the Jets see it.

So I believe Cimini they will deal him for a 6th or something like that, especially if he keeps playing well in preseason.

Maybe, but I'd rather hav Clemens at that point than anybody else on our roster.

Yep. Brunell is a coach, not a QB, at this point. Ainge is essentially out of football. O'Connell could potentially be better than Clemens (the bar isn't really set that high) but to start on no notice mid-season I'd rather go with the guy who's been in this offense since 2006. As likely as it is that Brunell or O'Connell are better QB's now than Clemens was, it's at least that likely that Clemens now is a better QB than he was and also better than either of those two.

Note that even for the league minimum (certainly acceptable for a 3rd string QB when your #2 isn't so hot to begin with and you are clearly legit SB contenders ), and for all the glowing complements Brees paid him, the Saints still decided to part ways with Brunell.

Hope this ends up being the right move. But really I hope we never get to find out.

So that's why they put Santonio in with him. Made Clemens look damn good.

If they're hell-bent on keeping O'Connell over him, then it's the right thing to do. Even a 7th rounder is better than nothing. Plus it's kind of dick to tag the guy with a 2nd round pick, guaranteeing no one else even thinks about signing him away, and then cut him right before the season starts when all the #2 QB slots are filled. He doesn't seem like a bad guy. Just a bad QB.

Yep. Brunell is a coach, not a QB, at this point. Ainge is essentially out of football. O'Connell could potentially be better than Clemens (the bar isn't really set that high) but to start on no notice mid-season I'd rather go with the guy who's been in this offense since 2006. As likely as it is that Brunell or O'Connell are better QB's now than Clemens was, it's at least that likely that Clemens now is a better QB than he was and also better than either of those two.

Note that even for the league minimum (certainly acceptable for a 3rd string QB when your #2 isn't so hot to begin with and you are clearly legit SB contenders ), and for all the glowing complements Brees paid him, the Saints still decided to part ways with Brunell.

Hope this ends up being the right move. But really I hope we never get to find out.

True, but let's say they did trade him...

Do you think in an emergency they would go to B. Smith?

I doubt it, but would it work out?

I said Monday night in the game thread they were auditioning him. Hes a goner it frees up $$$. God forbid we need to use our backups KC included we are doomed. At that point someone would be brought in. Jake DelHomme or someone... :rolleyes:

I doubt Mangini would bail us out again.

KC, no worries mate

The 49ers...Rams...Vikings...Bucs...Titans maybe...Jaguars...Seattle maybe...just because Clemens is zomgworsteverz for not carrying us to the SB in '07 doesn't mean some team wouldn't find him useful. He's smart, he's a young vet with upside, he doesn't talk sh*t...I get the feeling someone will take him and be happy for it. I hope it's the 49ers because 1. I believe Clemens isn't all that bad and 2. they have a nice offense set up if they get solid QB play.

The 49ers...Rams...Vikings...Bucs...Titans maybe...Jaguars...Seattle maybe...just because Clemens is zomgworsteverz for not carrying us to the SB in '07 doesn't mean some team wouldn't find him useful. He's smart, he's a young vet with upside, he doesn't talk sh*t...I get the feeling someone will take him and be happy for it. I hope it's the 49ers because 1. I believe Clemens isn't all that bad and 2. they have a nice offense set up if they get solid QB play.

Also Bears & Chiefs.

That bad huh.

If they kept Smith exclusively practicing with the QB's all off-season then he could be an option as a #2 or #3. A QB needs to practice more than 5 different plays for the season. The last time he was really a QB was 2005 in college. He's really not an option. Good for a gimmick play here and there (particularly if he actually throws it once or twice), but he's not a full-time QB in any scenario. They'd be better off bringing Ray Lucas back.

Chicago is...

not anymore

you can sign guys off the street, there is no reason to trade for KC

Another arm

Bears ink Gutierrez to add depth at QB

With backup Caleb Hanie sidelined by a shoulder injury, the Bears bolstered their quarterback position Wednesday by signing Matt Gutierrez to a one-year contract

If they kept Smith exclusively practicing with the QB's all off-season then he could be an option as a #2 or #3. A QB needs to practice more than 5 different plays for the season. The last time he was really a QB was 2005 in college. He's really not an option. Good for a gimmick play here and there (particularly if he actually throws it once or twice), but he's not a full-time QB in any scenario. They'd be better off bringing Ray Lucas back.

Might as well, we're screwed anyway you slice it.

I want to believe the hype about the Jets being headed for multiple super bowls but the Mark Brunell thing is a Leon Hess era type move. Brunell is new to the scheme and old. By the time he masters the scheme he will be collecting social security. Just stick with loyal soldier Kellen Clemens. If they screw up this easy decision its going to bring back SOJ fears for me. Remember, SOJ isn't just about losing, its also about looking like idiots.

I want to believe the hype about the Jets being headed for multiple super bowls but the Mark Brunell thing is a Leon Hess era type move. Brunell is new to the scheme and old. By the time he masters the scheme he will be collecting social security. Just stick with loyal soldier Kellen Clemens. If they screw up this easy decision its going to bring back SOJ fears for me. Remember, SOJ isn't just about losing, its also about looking like idiots.

Clemens has said he thinks he can start in the NFL, he will not help Sanchez and he is not a loyal soldier. He is 100% out for himself.

Brunell and Oconnell will help Sanchez, that is what backup QB's are for.

The JETS needed a clipboard holder who knew his sh*t and would not be waiting to pounce on his chance to start, that is what a #2 does.

If Sanchez went down with a major injury it really does not matter who is the backup the season is over.

I really don't see how you guys can just say "we're screwed" anyways if a backup QB sees the field. A competent backup with our defense could potentially save a season for us if he's only needed in short spurts. Ideally, it's not needed, but it seems stupid to overrate the value of Brunell's "QB mentoring" and give him the backup job based on that.

I really don't see how you guys can just say "we're screwed" anyways if a backup QB sees the field. A competent backup with our defense could potentially save a season for us if he's only needed in short spurts. Ideally, it's not needed, but it seems stupid to overrate the value of Brunell's "QB mentoring" and give him the backup job based on that.

I don't care how good the D is, we're not winning a championship with Clemens or Brunell behind center. Sanchez gives us a shot.

I don't care how good the D is, we're not winning a championship with Clemens or Brunell behind center. Sanchez gives us a shot.

And I 100% agree with that. But if there's a 3 or 4 game stretch during the middle of the season where we need the quality back-up, it'd be nice to have one...that is my point. Come playoff time we need Sanchez no doubt.

Archived