Brian Schottenheimer: The writing is on the wall

s dubb

Where I Consider My Hurtful Remarks About Brian Schottenheimer

By Andrew Weiss on 14. Sep, 2010

Some of you wrote that I was a little-er-strong in my criticism of Brian Schottenheimer last night. In the cold light of day, let's think about it. In the NFL, the only thing you have to show for your work is performance. Everything else is just speculation. So let's look at the actual performance of our esteemed Offensive Coordinator. Let's look at the body of work.

Naturally, we're only interested in BS in his present position. At San Diego, where he is given credit for rearing Drew Brees and Philip Rivers, he was working with another man's system. He was only the QB coach. So, how those QBs performed is only relevant to the systems they were executing. Brian doesn't get credit for Rivers and Brees because Matt Cavanaugh, the Jets QB coach, shouldn't be blamed for last night.

So let's look at Brian Schottenheimer's system, his body of work as an Offensive Coordinator. His first crack was his present job, with the New York Jets, which he got in 2006.

Sean Sheppard has written a piece this morning on Brian Schottenheimer's career performance as OC on a game-by-game basis. His conclusion? "Brian Schottenheimer Led Offenses: Not One 300 Yard Passer Since 2006!" That's right, according to Sean, the Jets have not had a 300-yard passer since 2006, and that's under two different coaches with two different philosophies. Not only that, two of his quarterbacks were proven winners who both went on to produce 300-yard games after they left the Jets. It's a great piece and I recommend that you read it (here).

Sean didn't go into Schotty's season standings. How have his offenses done since he became an offensive coordinator?

The overall ranking (total yards) for Brian Schottenheimer' offenses in the past four years (2006 – 2009) is 25, 26, 16, 20. That's never higher than sixteenth in a league of 32 teams. In case you're wondering, the 16 was the year that Favre was here and the offense had to be "simplified" for the Mississippi mauler, who was accused of being unwilling to study hard. So, on average, BS offenses (Jets' offenses) have ranked 22nd in a 32-team league. As for passing, Brian Schottenheimer's specialty, the rankings were 17, 25, 16 and 31—sixteenth with Favre, 31st with the rookie, Sanchez. The average? 22nd in a 32-team league. Consistent, if nothing else. As for rushing, there's been continual improvement from 20th in 2006, when he took over, to first, last year, an average of 12th. Well, at least he can do that.

What about mentoring and guiding quarterbacks? When Schotty took over in 2006, his quarterback was Chad Pennington returning from injury. Chad's 2006 season was a respectable twelfth. Not bad, huh? Except Chad had never ranked lower than eleventh in his career which included a number one ranking in 2002. The following year under Schottenheimer, 2007, Chad ranked an inexplicable 15th. The team decided he was fragile and probably done, so they let him go and brought in Favre, who promptly ranked 21st among quarterbacks in Schottenheimer's simplified scheme. Just a couple of washed-up veterans, right? Except, Chad Pennington would rank second with Miami's poor receiving corps, once he left the Jets in 2008, and Brett Favre, would rank second in 2009, when he went to Minnesota. Sanchez, who showed so much promise in the first few games of the '09 season, wound up 28th. For those of you who like trends, since Brian Schottenheimer got here five years ago, his quarterbacks have ranked 12, 15, 21 and 28, and after yesterday's performance, 31st. We appear to be on a trend that will set a record, ranking 33rd out of a possible 32 teams.

So it doesn't look promising. It is axiomatic that the best predictor of future performance is past performance. If that's the case, the Super bowl is off the table. The Ravens, who had no offense to speak of, yet who won the Super Bowl in 2000, were ranked sixteenth in the league in total offense that year. The Jets have only sniffed that lofty ranking once under Schottenheimer, and that was with a Hall of Famer at QB.

So get used to it. If you want to go to the Super Bowl, Rex or Tanny or somebody over in Florham Park will have to face facts. The numbers don't lie.

This guy is the ball and chain.

What about mentoring and guiding quarterbacks? When Schotty took over in 2006, his quarterback was Chad Pennington returning from injury. Chad's 2006 season was a respectable twelfth. Not bad, huh? Except Chad had never ranked lower than eleventh in his career which included a number one ranking in 2002. The following year under Schottenheimer, 2007, Chad ranked an inexplicable 15th. The team decided he was fragile and probably done, so they let him go and brought in Favre, who promptly ranked 21st among quarterbacks in Schottenheimer's simplified scheme. Just a couple of washed-up veterans, right? Except, Chad Pennington would rank second with Miami's poor receiving corps, once he left the Jets in 2008, and Brett Favre, would rank second in 2009, when he went to Minnesota. Sanchez, who showed so much promise in the first few games of the '09 season, wound up 28th. For those of you who like trends, since Brian Schottenheimer got here five years ago, his quarterbacks have ranked 12, 15, 21 and 28, and after yesterday's performance, 31st. We appear to be on a trend that will set a record, ranking 33rd out of a possible 32 teams.

That's just down right scary!

Might agree with the core point-Schottenheimer is his dad's son,a guy who doesn't get that the NFL in 2010 requires being able to throw the ball. Stringing together a 14-play 85 yard drive to score a TD is not going to work. Too much has to go right and with each play the possibility of catastrophe is more likely. If you get a few 15-20 yard or more passes in such a drive, or a PI call, it makes life a whole bunch easier.

But as to 300-yard passers being a benchmark, might not be that good a mark because ideally you get up enough points so that late in the game you can grind out the clock by running the ball. The record books are filled with 300 and 400 yard passing days by QB who had to throw the ball all day because he was behind all game.More damning is that the Jets do not get touchdowns. Ultimately Schottenheimer like his dad thinks it's 1970 or 1950 and passing is evil.

Ok, im gonna be a total noob, but who is this bob guy and was why he incarcerated?

He broke the Revis deal about 3 hours before anyone else. Which was undeniable.

He also said Taylor would have been cut had Pace not gotten injured - which is up for debate but was seconded by Francesa the following day.

Other than that he's just some scary internet thug who threatens real reporters who steal his story.

He also said Taylor would have been cut had Pace not gotten injured - which is up for debate but was seconded by Francesa the following day.

Other than that he's just some scary internet thug who threatens real reporters who steal his story.

He can't take a joke either... we roughed him up at JI and he started cursing everyone out lol.

That said everything he's said about the Jets the last couple weeks has been correct. Still don't know how big of a deal it is but at minimum I pray it means Rex DEMANDS Shotty open it up...

He can't take a joke either... we roughed him up at JI and he started cursing everyone out lol.

That said everything he's said about the Jets the last couple weeks has been correct. Still don't know how big of a deal it is but at minimum I pray it means Rex DEMANDS Shotty open it up...

Or they fire him.

He's been dead wrong about a ton of stuff though.

Might agree with the core point-Schottenheimer is his dad's son,a guy who doesn't get that the NFL in 2010 requires being able to throw the ball. Stringing together a 14-play 85 yard drive to score a TD is not going to work. Too much has to go right and with each play the possibility of catastrophe is more likely. If you get a few 15-20 yard or more passes in such a drive, or a PI call, it makes life a whole bunch easier.

But as to 300-yard passers being a benchmark, might not be that good a mark because ideally you get up enough points so that late in the game you can grind out the clock by running the ball. The record books are filled with 300 and 400 yard passing days by QB who had to throw the ball all day because he was behind all game.More damning is that the Jets do not get touchdowns. Ultimately Schottenheimer like his dad thinks it's 1970 or 1950 and passing is evil.

Yes, the Colts and Saints suck so much, they are always losing games! They should be winners like the Jets, Raiders and other crappy teams that can't pass for 300 yards.

Look maybe 15 years ago you were right, but now in the NFL you score points by passing the ball. You also run out the clock by passing the ball. You should run too, the Saints and Colts I believe both finished top 6 in rushing, but they also finished top 2 in passing. So pass a lot in the first half, build up your lead, and then go more to the run if you want. But for god's sake, at least pass in the first, especially when the run isn't sustaining drives. How do you run out the clock when you go 3 and out all the time exactly?

yeah he also "broke" the revis deal about 3 hours before it was actually done didn't he? sorry but i don't have any faith that this guys isn't full of sh*t at least 50% of the time. that said i hope this happened because schotty needs a ******* wake-up call and rex can't just sit by and watch the offense tank the seaosn wihtout some sort of fight.

Yes, the Colts and Saints suck so much, they are always losing games! They should be winners like the Jets, Raiders and other crappy teams that can't pass for 300 yards.

Look maybe 15 years ago you were right, but now in the NFL you score points by passing the ball. You also run out the clock by passing the ball. You should run too, the Saints and Colts I believe both finished top 6 in rushing, but they also finished top 2 in passing. So pass a lot in the first half, build up your lead, and then go more to the run if you want. But for god's sake, at least pass in the first, especially when the run isn't sustaining drives. How do you run out the clock when you go 3 and out all the time exactly?

All true. But recall that but this past Sunday Pey Pey passed for 400-and lost.

We are in agreement though that the Schottenheimer family thinks the NFL is still played in leather helmets and the forward pass is a crazy innovation not to be embraced. As awful as Sanchez was you're stuck wondering if he simply sucks or his head has been so filled with scary nonsense about failure that he doesn't know which way is up.

The one thread with Brian S. here has been that no matter who the QB is, the checkdown receiver gets more catches than WRs. What's thge point of having Edwards, Cotchery or Holmes if we don't bother to throw to them? I get it; better to complete a pass than not. But since the day he got here even with Favre the 3 yard pass on 3rd and 7 has been a staple. great for completion percentage, bad for the football team. It's pussified; on 3rd down ALL the recievers should be at or past or close to the stick. Why even run a play on 3rd down if it's designed to fail? Cotchery's step out on 4th to end the game was the latest example.

All true. But recall that but this past Sunday Pey Pey passed for 400-and lost.

We are in agreement though that the Schottenheimer family thinks the NFL is still played in leather helmets and the forward pass is a crazy innovation not to be embraced. As awful as Sanchez was you're stuck wondering if he simply sucks or his head has been so filled with scary nonsense about failure that he doesn't know which way is up.

The one thread with Brian S. here has been that no matter who the QB is, the checkdown receiver gets more catches than WRs. What's thge point of having Edwards, Cotchery or Holmes if we don't bother to throw to them? I get it; better to complete a pass than not. But since the day he got here even with Favre the 3 yard pass on 3rd and 7 has been a staple. great for completion percentage, bad for the football team. It's pussified; on 3rd down ALL the recievers should be at or past or close to the stick. Why even run a play on 3rd down if it's designed to fail? Cotchery's step out on 4th to end the game was the latest example.

A lot of things aren't a direct measure of success. For instance, grades in school won't tell you how someone will perform on the job. Standardized test scores also won't tell you how well someone will do in school. But in the absence of other measures, what else do we have to go on that has as high a correlation with a successful student/prospective employee and a successful offense?

It is BETTER to have that high GPA and that top test score. It is BETTER to have at least some 300 yard passing games. How exactly do poor grades and low scores and no 300 yard games prove that somebody has the ability?

I don't like QB rating much. Personally I prefer to watch the games and see how they play. There are a lot of factors, big play ability and poise are the two biggest ones I look for. If you get 3 big plays in a game and don't make mistakes otherwise, that usually means you're a pretty good QB. But also if you make 3 big plays in a game, that is getting you pretty good yardage, so a lot of the time you will be getting that yardage.

TDs are a good measure too, if you have the TDs but not the yardage that isn't always a terrible thing. Likewise, if you have the yardage but not the TDs but your team scores TDs (off the run) that could be good too.

But so many of these things are situational, and in the long run for comparison purposes generally the QBs that throw 4000+ yards and around 30 TDs a year, with less than 15 INTs (preferably around 10) are the good QBs. 4000 yards is actually an average of 250 yards a game, so theoretically you don't need 300 yard games, but in actual practice nobody hits the average every time so you will have some at least. I suppose if Schott's QB's were getting 225 yards or so passing a game every time out it wouldn't be so bad, but I doubt he is anywhere close to that.

Schott doesn't produce those QB numbers, and his offenses in general are bad.

I'm not sure how much we are even disagreeing actually, we might be on the exact same page.

A lot of things aren't a direct measure of success. For instance, grades in school won't tell you how someone will perform on the job. Standardized test scores also won't tell you how well someone will do in school. But in the absence of other measures, what else do we have to go on that has as high a correlation with a successful student/prospective employee and a successful offense?

It is BETTER to have that high GPA and that top test score. It is BETTER to have at least some 300 yard passing games. How exactly do poor grades and low scores and no 300 yard games prove that somebody has the ability?

I don't like QB rating much. Personally I prefer to watch the games and see how they play. There are a lot of factors, big play ability and poise are the two biggest ones I look for. If you get 3 big plays in a game and don't make mistakes otherwise, that usually means you're a pretty good QB. But also if you make 3 big plays in a game, that is getting you pretty good yardage, so a lot of the time you will be getting that yardage.

TDs are a good measure too, if you have the TDs but not the yardage that isn't always a terrible thing. Likewise, if you have the yardage but not the TDs but your team scores TDs (off the run) that could be good too.

But so many of these things are situational, and in the long run for comparison purposes generally the QBs that throw 4000+ yards and around 30 TDs a year, with less than 15 INTs (preferably around 10) are the good QBs. 4000 yards is actually an average of 250 yards a game, so theoretically you don't need 300 yard games, but in actual practice nobody hits the average every time so you will have some at least. I suppose if Schott's QB's were getting 225 yards or so passing a game every time out it wouldn't be so bad, but I doubt he is anywhere close to that.

Schott doesn't produce those QB numbers, and his offenses in general are bad.

I'm not sure how much we are even disagreeing actually, we might be on the exact same page.

8 play 75 yard drives ending in a TD are cool.

14 play drives going 50 yards and ending a punt or worse suck.

BS's teams seem more likely to do the later than the former, and he is okay with that losing approach to offense. But if you manage to get down the field in fewer plays, less chances for it to go bad. And it's scared bad football, just as it was under Paul Hackett or Dick Curl.

And in fairness if the HC has a problem with this he should put down the Oreos and get a handle on this. It's as true now as with Herman Edwards or Eric Mangini. If you are the Head Coach and you don't like what the OC is doing, do soemthing about it, and do it now.

Fire Schotty.

Promote Callahan.

It's not that ******* HARD!

Callahan is already the assistant HC. This move is a foregone conclusion. I think Schotty has naked pics of Woody or something. There is literally no rational explanation for why Schotty is on this staff.

Archived