Please fire or demote Shotty, Thank You.

ECURB

Fire Shotty?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should the JETS fire or demote Shotty?

• Yes
    • No

A much better QB? Like who? Brees, Vick, Brady and Peyton Manning are all in offenses that have a very high percentage of easy throws. Phillip Rivers probably has the most hard throws of any of the elite QBs in the league and that's why sometimes you'll hear people fawn over him.

The Schitty offense just does not work. Sure the above guys would execute it better than Sanchez can and does, no argument there from me. But there stats would suffer greatly and be nowhere near what everyone is used to seeing out of them.

Schitty's offense is akin to sending a boxer with a 10" reach disadvantage out there telling him to swing out haymakers the entire time from the outside. Maybe he'd land one eventually and win, but it's not a very sound strategy.

This !

And for what Its worth Ive seen enough is Sanchez to think he can be just as good. You Dont have close to a 70 % completion rating throwing deep outs its just not possible.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bleedin even the elite QB's have issues with that. If you watch Manning Brady Brees they all start the games out with a ball control short passing offense, every single one of them. They then open up the rest of the offense once the QB warms up a bit. Its just common sense when calling an offense, you dont want your QB comming out throwing 20 and 30 yard outs it just Makes no sense for a lot of reasons.

I think it's already been proven that 90% of JN posters do not watch any other teams play, outside of possibly the Giants. So no, they don't know that.

They also probably wouldn't believe you if you told them Brees and Vick get a lot of passes batted down at the line, as they think that only happens to Sanchez.

One of the biggest flaws in Schotty's offense, as I see it, is you need to be a much better QB than we have.

Agreed x 1,000,000. Unfortunately, the ineptitude doesn't end there. The few slick plays that we saw today (hi-snap, boot) won't have counterparts appear next week. Nor will the less slick, however highly effective, quick slants and stick routes that moved the chains today to position us for the win. Next week will be full of highly complex cadence for Sanchez and complex routes that will take over 4 seconds to develop and the offense will eat sh1t again. Maybe he'll put a couple 3 weeks together and wait to get real smart again in the play-offs, but it's been 5 years of this BS now and we've long since ran out of other places to throw the blame. This guy can't consistently put together an offense capable of beating the better teams (D's) in the league. He's every bit the curse Pennington was and if we don't can his happy azz after this season - we're doomed to more mediocrity.

I think it's already been proven that 90% of JN posters do not watch any other teams play, outside of possibly the Giants. So no, they don't know that.

They also probably wouldn't believe you if you told them Brees and Vick get a lot of passes batted down at the line, as they think that only happens to Sanchez.

Heh I watch a ridiculous amount of football and its painfull to see how some of the more well designed offenses actully run. I love watching the Saints who are just loaded down with skill players who make play after play. Cant tell ya how many times I see Brees dumping the ball to wide open backs and wide open recievers over the middle. The I look at our offense and we run none of those plays. The plays we call for the TE could be the worst in the entire NFL as are some of our Screens with no blockers out front . Just makes me really sad knowing what could be.

please....explain to me what the relationship is between the 1997 KC Chiefs divisional playoff game and today's Jet game vs. Pit?

Well I had to point out that while it was important that the players caught passes this week (like you said). Schottenheimer is clueless when it comes to managing the game. and thats all on him, not the players. and it's happening every week, not just this week.

And that 97 game was the last game the Chiefs played that year because of dumb coaching. they werent outplayed in that game. and the Broncos (the smart team that beat them) won the super bowl that year. that was the worst case of clock mismanagement in the history of football. thats why I brought it up.

Well I had to point out that while it was important that the players caught passes this week (like you said). Schottenheimer is clueless when it comes to managing the game. and thats all on him, not the players. and it's happening every week, not just this week.

And that 97 game was the last game the Chiefs played that year because of dumb coaching. they werent outplayed in that game. and the Broncos (the smart team that beat them) won the super bowl that year. that was the worst case of clock mismanagement in the history of football. thats why I brought it up.

I agree, if there ever was a time to pound it 3 times into the line and punt, it was after the safety. The Steelers got the ball with all their TOs because of our 2 incomplete passes. That's called managing the situation.

That's actually more of an indictment on him. Why wasn't this game called all year?

He still also failed to get plays in on time as usual. Bradcat was limited to one use I think this time. If not for fluke KO return TD, the Jets actually probably lose this game. You can't get too excited over this.

aint no fluke child

Go ask the Green Bay Packers how terrible clock management could work out for you. Holy crap that was horrible.

I know we all get sh*ts and giggles out of our Dick Curl jokes, but if teams consistently **** up this little thing called clock management, why don't they have a coach explicitly responsible for managing time-outs, calling for spikes, etc. in 2 minutes drills?

I know either the head coach/offensive coordinator should be competent enough to handle it, but, obviously teams bungle games based on stupid sh*t like this. Happens every year too.

Go ask the Green Bay Packers how terrible clock management could work out for you. Holy crap that was horrible.

Man you really have to feel bad for Flynn, he looked absolutely lost on what to do. Unpreparedness at its best. He's been a backup for 2 seasons now. How do you blow it that badly? It looked like he thought that the clock stopped like it does in college. Green Bay really finds some odd ways to blow games at the end, (Arizona, Chicago, tonight...etc.).

Fire him already... or at least demote him like was done with Sutton...

He is the last of the inept three stooges of 2006... END IT...

121vkuo.gif

Pennington and Favre are the proof that it IS Shotty messing things up, they both looked better elsewhere when they left. He is going to ruin Sanchez.

Come on, dude! He wasn't the one who let a RB get stuffed in the endzone (great play, JT!) I'm not saying Schotty has been flawless, but this isn't the week to start the firing thing again, man. What about that fake/QB bootleg for our only offensive TD? I know I was fooled, so was the cameraman. I have to say the problem is Sanchez. Schotty isn't completing 50% of the passes. I don't know. I just don't think beating the Steelers in Pitt is the week for this, but then again--it's always the week here in the Nation! Go Jets!

My understanding is, in a win, you're not allowed to say anything but 'WE WON!' But, in a loss, you're allowed to talk about it.

That said, from a playcalling stand point, I think Shotty called a good game. He finally got the message that Sanchez is simply 'ok', and maybe he should be throwing patterns that he can consistently connect on, instead of trying to play him like he was elite. We are playing the Steelers, so I didn't expect a great offensive output, so it was good to just see them moving the ball. Credit Shotty for calling plays that move the chains rather than trying to pound it up the middle, or go for the home run.

So, now that we're done saying he called a solid game, the game management was abysmal, and for those of us who look at games as more than 'WE WON!' and 'WE LOST!' the decisions on the last drive were abysmal. The Steelers were left with way too much time and had legitimate shots to win the game. To say that wasn't an issue is the same as ignoring our performance against Denver, Detroit, Cleveland, and Houston. You think you're good based on wins like that, and you find yourself getting embarrassed in back to back weeks.

My bad though... WE WON!

I'm sure that I'm one of those this is directed at, but I agree.

I don't have a problem with criticizing specific plays and calls in that game, but to act like that performance was a fail for the OC is a ******* joke.

1. Winning is a big part of it. That doesn't mean that I just give a pass because they won, but that I can see obvious changes in the play calling when they are behind and when they are ahead. It has happened in a ton of games. Most of the time they get a score - that is why during the game thead I predicted the score (FG) when the Steelers tied it up. Sometimes it doesn't work (Ravens, Packers, 2nd Pats) and sometimes it does. The 2nd Pats game is the only time they were behind by more than a score without scoring. Maybe for a short part of the Packers game.

2. Too many of the complaints are hypocritical. You guys want innovation, but you also seem to expectt the OC to call the exact play that the "book" calls for on every occaision. The board wants something different until it doesn't work. Unpredictability? The direct snap to LT, the rollout on 3rd and short, the bootleg and the 3rd down pass we all complain about ALL SERVED THE SAME PURPOSE. I think he went to well one time too many (and would have preferred an under the center roll out so Sanchez could hold the ball), but if you want an OC with balls, that is willing to throw a dagger with the game on the line, there he is. You know damn well that if we ran LT or Greene up the middle the same bunch of monkeys would be calling for his head.

3. Clock management is an issue, but I think we can't be 100% sure how much is on Sanchez. At the end of the half, was he not getting the play or not hearing it? He could have eaten the ball on the 3rd down at the end. I think these Dick Curl coaches are generally ignored. They aren't important enough to listen to and while they can provide great advice, listening to it adds time during a situation where 3 seconds is critical.

Complain all you want. There are legimate gripes, but calling for Schottenhiemer's head after that game is ridiculous.

I'm sure that I'm one of those this is directed at, but I agree.

I don't have a problem with criticizing specific plays and calls in that game, but to act like that performance was a fail for the OC is a ******* joke.

1. Winning is a big part of it. That doesn't mean that I just give a pass because they won, but that I can see obvious changes in the play calling when they are behind and when they are ahead. It has happened in a ton of games. Most of the time they get a score - that is why during the game thead I predicted the score (FG) when the Steelers tied it up. Sometimes it doesn't work (Ravens, Packers, 2nd Pats) and sometimes it does. The 2nd Pats game is the only time they were behind by more than a score without scoring. Maybe for a short part of the Packers game.

2. Too many of the complaints are hypocritical. You guys want innovation, but you also seem to expectt the OC to call the exact play that the "book" calls for on every occaision. The board wants something different until it doesn't work. Unpredictability? The direct snap to LT, the rollout on 3rd and short, the bootleg and the 3rd down pass we all complain about ALL SERVED THE SAME PURPOSE. I think he went to well one time too many (and would have preferred an under the center roll out so Sanchez could hold the ball), but if you want an OC with balls, that is willing to throw a dagger with the game on the line, there he is. You know damn well that if we ran LT or Greene up the middle the same bunch of monkeys would be calling for his head.

3. Clock management is an issue, but I think we can't be 100% sure how much is on Sanchez. At the end of the half, was he not getting the play or not hearing it? He could have eaten the ball on the 3rd down at the end. I think these Dick Curl coaches are generally ignored. They aren't important enough to listen to and while they can provide great advice, listening to it adds time during a situation where 3 seconds is critical.

Complain all you want. There are legimate gripes, but calling for Schottenhiemer's head after that game is ridiculous.

Personally, I don't want innovation. I want the right plays called. To me, that's a mix of runs and intermediary passing. I actually want our offense to be simple, because I feel like we have the talent to win with simple. For weeks, I've been calling for intermediary passing. All season, we've gotten all or nothing playcalling. Give me simplistic continuity and rhythm all day. Maybe then, Sanchez can go from 'ok' to 'good'.

Personally, I don't want innovation. I want the right plays called. To me, that's a mix of runs and intermediary passing. I actually want our offense to be simple, because I feel like we have the talent to win with simple. For weeks, I've been calling for intermediary passing. All season, we've gotten all or nothing playcalling. Give me simplistic continuity and rhythm all day. Maybe then, Sanchez can go from 'ok' to 'good'.

agreed-we sometimes seem to outsmart ourselves under this guy. That Eric guy filling in for Greenberg this morning said Sanchez is "the Rachel Ray of NFL QBs' meaning he doesn't know if she's hot or not-just like he can't say whether Sanchez is good or not. I think a lot of that has to do with the plays he's being given

In his defense, he's tried to get the offense off to starts like this before and its backfired with terrible reads/throws by Sanchez.

Its amazing how good a OC looks when the executions in place. This was by far the best OL outing of the year. In the NFL, games are won and lost at the LOS. Especially when you have a team like the Jets playing a team like the Steelers.

Schotty had some gutsy calls yesterday, but he also had a lot of his same run of the mill calls that just had outstanding execution or great individual play. So now, everyone wants to act like he completely changed up his game calling, which is far from the truth.

What was the difference between Schotty Sunday and the last 2 weeks? Mark Sanchez, OL, receivers holding onto the ball and RB's actually finding holes and breaking tackles. His play calling wasnt that much different.

I generally agree. The problem is Sanchez. IMO he has been SUCKING in a huge way the last few weeks and therefore we are unable to score using simple. "Intermediary passing" sounds nice, but the fact is, that is where the kid has been falling on his face. Continuity and rhythm are just more BS buzzwords. You can't have continuity and rhythm when the kid is throwing to the wrong guy and often the wrong team. About the only "continuity" issue you can complain about is Brad Smith.

Seriously anybody who says we should spare Schotty this week since we won just doesn't get it. He still clearly has issues and while he did finally call a good second half the end of the first half and games play calling was inexcusable. Two quarters of good play calling doesn't make up for 4 years of ineptitude.

We won but there are still serious questions about this team that can't be ignored on offense and defense. I don't understand why the media doesn't seem to give a sh*t about and of this and ask the coaches these questions and would rather just latch onto the biggest scandal. Did anybody even ask Rex in the press conference what the **** happened at the end of the first half? Or why he didn't challenge the spot of the ball on that 3rd and long? Or why he consistently wastes time outs on defense and they still give up the first down? I don't give a sh*t about whatever tearful speech he made I want to know what the hell is going on with the team.

Gotta hand it to Schottenheimer. This month's touchdown was awesome.

This is the best post in the history of the internet... lol

It was awful and yet we see Sanchez stuck in similar situations week after week... I am willing to bet they will make sure Flynn has a plan going forward, yet Shotty keeps Sanchez standing there like a moron week after week.

I don't give a sh*t about whatever tearful speech he made I want to know what the hell is going on with the team.

They are winning. Mangini always made the right call. Always had the guys in the right position, had great control of the clock. Emotion is a powerful thing. I don't think guys deserve "a pass", but saying that heads should roll because of what happened yesterday is beyond moronic.

Go ahead, ask the question. The answer you will get is that we all have to improve or some other silly coach speak. The probably did ask it, but the clips are better when they are about Rex dropping F bombs.

They are winning. Mangini always made the right call. Always had the guys in the right position, had great control of the clock. Emotion is a powerful thing. I don't think guys deserve "a pass", but saying that heads should roll because of what happened yesterday is beyond moronic.

Go ahead, ask the question. The answer you will get is that we all have to improve or some other silly coach speak. The probably did ask it, but the clips are better when they are about Rex dropping F bombs.

Week after week now we have seen bad timeouts, and playcalls that come in 15 seconds too late. This is not a one week issue.

Week after week we win. That is not a one week issue either. There are items to correct, but "Please fire or demote Shotty" is not one of them. Not right now in the middle of a playoff run.

If the common fan can see the problems and the Jets coaching staff can't and can't fix them, there will be no long playoff runs. that I can assure you. and losing important games from dumb clock management is the most annoying way to lose a game. had Big Ben thrown a td pass with 2 seconds left on the clock yesterday he should have given schotty a nice big Christmas present for giving him enough time on the clock to do it.

Every close game in which the Jets have played it's been the same. it's like groundhogs day with clock management. hopefully the Jets blow everybody out on their way to this years super bowl.

You gotta admit that this was the first non-2 minute drill of his career where Sanchez consistently hit short passes. That was a major part of why yesterday's gameplan/playcalls/identity and rhythm builder was effective.

Every close game in which the Jets have played it's been the same. it's like groundhogs day with clock management.

this is quite an ironic statement......If you wrote this sentence in 2005 about Herm I wouldnt be shocked! And all the Schotty bashing is word for word what everyone used to say about Hackett....complaining for the sake of upping post counts IMO

this is quite an ironic statement......If you wrote this sentence in 2005 about Herm I wouldnt be shocked! And all the Schotty bashing is word for word what everyone used to say about Hackett....complaining for the sake of upping post counts IMO

your and idiot. even Joe said so in one of his posts. I'll take his word for it. and your a genious too!

I don't think heads should roll because of yesterday. I think heads should roll because its been the same sh*t all year and before that as well, the game management of this team is a joke and something needs to be done, I'm not saying fire Rex but it clearly needs to be addressed. As for the offense every year under Schotty has been inept and he has consistently made QBs look terrible who have looked much better without him. His playbook is too complicated and convoluted for anybody and he has no idea what he is doing the majority of the time.

your and idiot. even Joe said so in one of his posts. I'll take his word for it. and your a genious too!

Im AND idiot?? Joe said so?? Dude, ive known Joe for over 25 years, he is my roommate, if he wants to call me an idiot on the interwebz im cool with that.

But for you to sit here as a mod and pretend that the same things werent being said about Herm and Hackett then you are just obtuse.

It went like this.....Herm cant manage a clock to save his life....and hackett will run a draw play on 3rd and 26....REMEMBER THAT?? its the same complaints, dont sit there and try to make me look like i dont know what im talking about. Too bad we cant go back and search it huh! Dont get it twisted.

Im AND idiot?? Joe said so?? Dude, ive known Joe for over 25 years, he is my roommate, if he wants to call me an idiot on the interwebz im cool with that.

But for you to sit here as a mod and pretend that the same things werent being said about Herm and Hackett then you are just obtuse.

It went like this.....Herm cant manage a clock to save his life....and hackett will run a draw play on 3rd and 26....REMEMBER THAT?? its the same complaints, dont sit there and try to make me look like i dont know what im talking about. Too bad we cant go back and search it huh! Dont get it twisted.

Check the bottom of your shoes

:rl:

What did your reply to my post have to do with anything related to my post? Hackett was an idiot, so what? and so was Herm, so what? was that supposed to be some kind of newsflash?

Hackett in the playoff game against the Raiders in 2001 had the Jets huddling up and running the play clock down to zero with 6 minutes left in the game down by 17 points. so what? and the press said nothing about it!

I don't think heads should roll because of yesterday. I think heads should roll because its been the same sh*t all year and before that as well, the game management of this team is a joke and something needs to be done, I'm not saying fire Rex but it clearly needs to be addressed. As for the offense every year under Schotty has been inept and he has consistently made QBs look terrible who have looked much better without him. His playbook is too complicated and convoluted for anybody and he has no idea what he is doing the majority of the time.

Andy Reid has been coaching a decade+...his clock management skills are considered sub par by many of the fan/expert community...you know why he's still coaching? Because he's a good f*cking coach, he knows his sh*t, his teams play for him, and they win games often.

Meanwhile, Eric Mangini, the worst coach in Jets history before HC Brian Schottenheimer was hired, could manipulate a clock like daughters do fathers.

I like all 3 of our main coaches. Alot. A whole lot. I've never liked a coaching staff more with this team since the Parcells/Belichick/Weis days...which aren't even clear memories to me anyway. I love that each of them is aware that they suck according to the experts/fans, I like that each of them can laugh at it, I like that the team laughs with them, and I f*ckin love how much the team supports them. I hope they're together another 3 years, Schottenheimer included.

You gotta admit that this was the first non-2 minute drill of his career where Sanchez consistently hit short passes. That was a major part of why yesterday's gameplan/playcalls/identity and rhythm builder was effective.

Sanchez's accuracy was better. But I also believed that a more conservative gameplan was called, maybe because it was working, but we played a lot safer and smarter. To me, it goes to my point that both Sanchez and Schotty are a problem. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Difference is, Sanchez is on the field, so you need to do what's best for him.

Archived