Report: Broncos WR found dead

Vudu

Report: Broncos receiver Kenny McKinley found dead

Posted by Mike Florio on September 20, 2010 9:03 PM ET

Josina Anderson of FOX 31 in Denver reports that Broncos receiver Kenny McKinley has been found dead, apparently due to a suicide.

The 23-year-old McKinley, a fifth-round pick in 2009 from South Carolina, appeared in eight games last season before landing on injured reserve. He was again placed on injured reserve to start the 2010 season.

At South Carolina, McKinley caught 207 passes, and he generated more than 2,700 receiving yards.

Our thoughts and condolences go out to McKinley's family, teammates, and friends, and to the entire Broncos organization.

Broncos confirm passing of Kenny McKinley

Posted by Mike Florio on September 20, 2010 9:35 PM ET

The Denver Broncos have issued a statement acknowledging the death of 23-year-old receiver Kenny McKinley.

'Everyone with the Broncos is shocked and saddened by the loss of Kenny McKinley," owner Pat Bowlen said in a team-issued release. "He was part of the Broncos' family and will be greatly missed by our organization. My most heartfelt condolences go out to Kenny's family and friends."

Added coach Josh McDaniels, "Kenny had a promising future on the football field, but more importantly, he was a great teammate whose smile and personality could light up the room. This is a tragic loss for our football team, and his family is in all of our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time."

FOX 31 in Denver has reported that the apparent cause of death was suicide.

sad.

So many good people suffer from debilitating depression, and never seek help or learn ways to manage it. Horrible that such a promising young life is lost. the lesson here: never be too proud to admit your limitations, and never be ashamed to ask for help. Poor kid could've benefitted from medications or therapy, but now he'll never have a chance. Best wishes to his loved ones and RIP.

RIP

I don't support suicide but I understand why, someone to have so much pain that taking their life is the only way to end that pain. It's sad and I don't condone it. My GFs father killed himself before we started dating, I never met the guy, and it really hurt the people that we're close to him, but I understand why he did it, doesn't make it right tho.

RIP

Archived