Four Problems

lancemehl

Did I mention great play by JT!!

Seriously, besides giving up two 90+ yard drives, we have four problems I see:

1. Sanchez has reverted back to last season.

2. We can't get anywhere near the QB.

3. because of that, our LB's and mediocre safeties are getting eaten alive in the middle of the field.

4. We've completely lost confidence in our kicker which forces us to either punt or go for it between the 30-40-- that actually worked for us today...Thanks to JT!!!!

I know this is probably stuff you guys know already, but hey, gotta contribute. lol

Still a great win.

3. because of that, our LB's and mediocre safeties are getting eaten alive in the middle of the field.

4. We've completely lost confidence in our kicker which forces us to either punt or go for it between the 30-40-- that actually worked for us today...Thanks to JT!!!!

I know this is probably stuff you guys know already, but hey, gotta contribute. lol

Still a great win.

Sanchez who I have been disappointed with, played very well.

We actually pressured and got to Ben. Just missed a couple of hits and fumble recoveries. He just did what Ben does when pressured. The Safeties and Nickel backs can't cover , yep that is a problem probably not fixed till the off season.

Those FG's we passed up I believe were all close to 50 yds. I could be wrong there but they were long ones in a Stadium notorious for poor FG Kicker play.

I remember back in the 04 playoffs they were saying that no one had made a field goal of more than 45 yards from that side of the field. (Remember Doug Brien).

Now that may have changed since then I'm not sure but at this point the only thing that matters is that in a major gut check game the Jets came through.

Start worrying about Chicago and enjoy all the ripping the Giants will be getting today.

Some Jets fans are never happy . We win . We complain . We loose ,and people commiting suicide ,and calling for the head of the "Sanchize" on a platter . We won! We were 6 point dogs. We never beat Pittsburgh on their turf ! Enjoy the win.

P.s. we are 7-1 on the road therefore I'm completely happy with being the 6th seed , and playing on the road

Still a great win.

1. Really? How many games last year did Sanchez complete 65% of his passes and not throw a pick? Sanchez had arguably his best game of the season last night.

2. Agreed this is a problem but unfortunately one that probably can not be addressed until the offseason.

3. True.

4. This makes no sense. The couple of times Ryan decided not to attempt a FG in Steeler territory yesterday was a function of the Jets being on the outside of Folk's range, the weather and the fact that that is probably the hardest place in the NFL to kick.

It took a special coach, QB and team to win this game yesterday and we got the job done. The Jets teams of old would have folded like a tent and then headed to Chicago next week a wounded animal. Instead, we took control of this game on the road and in the snow, Scoring 12 unanswered points to finish off the game. That was a MAN'S job.

The number 1 problem of this team that appeared last night is clock management. We all complain about 2 yard runs. Sometimes, 2 yards, and 40 seconds, or an opponents TO is a huge win. Last night, it would have been.

Correct. Better play calling by you-know-who down the stretch would have shortened that game and put significantly less pressure on the defense.

Still a great win.

1) You are saying this after a bounce back game for him and the first time he hasnt thrown a pick in 8 games. Okay...

2) 3 sacks in a game isnt terrible, especially if 2 of them forced fumbles. Our problem is we cant generate a pass rush with out a blitz.

3) this is true...too much time in the pocket...you cant expect DB's to cover for ever.

4) have we lost confidence in our kicker or have we learned how to use him? I dont think not asking him to kick 50+ yarders in the hardest stadium in the league to kick in is a big deal...especially when you punter is a master at the coffin corner.

Sanchez played well.

We couldn't get near the QB? They had 3 sacks. Two resulted in fumbles. Three sacks per game would tie them with the Giants for 2nd in the NFL. Cromartie had a free run at Roethlisberger and jumped. I can only assume he didn't want to get his hands dirty, but that would have been four. All this while spending a ton of time rushing 3 and playing coverage.

We've known all along that our LBs and S in coverage were a problem. It's hard to stop the run and have little coverage LBs. I think our nickel and dime guys played okay yesterday. Wilson, Cole and Coleman all made plays. Lowery was playing his first game at S and had to be worried about the run. IMO they may be better off after a few weeks.

They didn't try for FG because they lost confidence. It was a field position game. They probably won because of Weatherford dropping it inside the 10 a couple of times. Long FGs in Pittsburgh in the snow are not a good idea. You'd be better off going for it on 4th down and that has nothing to do with Folk.

It took a special coach, QB and team to win this game yesterday and we got the job done. The Jets teams of old would have folded like a tent and then headed to Chicago next week a wounded animal. Instead, we took control of this game on the road and in the snow, Scoring 12 unanswered points to finish off the game. That was a MAN'S job.

could not agree more...enjoy the win, this was a very good one... in my opinion Sanchez played very well...give the kid a break for once

Correct. Better play calling by you-know-who down the stretch would have shortened that game and put significantly less pressure on the defense.

To win in those conditions in Pittsburgh is very good. But the clock mismanagement at the end-LT and Edwards running out of bounds in the penultimat series, not running off serious clock in the last series- allowed the Steelers to have shots at the end zone. And in a playoff game that kind of silliness is going to cost you.

To win in those conditions in Pittsburgh is very good. But the clock mismanagement at the end-LT and Edwards running out of bounds in the penultimat series, not running off serious clock in the last series- allowed the Steelers to have shots at the end zone. And in a playoff game that kind of silliness is going to cost you.

Had the Jets run the ball on 2nd and 3rd on the next to last possession and run on third down on the final possession, the Steelers would have had at least one less minute and no timeouts when they got the ball back on their final possession. And that's assuming the Jets don't convert with a run on 3rd and 3.

I think they could have picked up the first down there easier with a run than a pass.

Sanchez was SOLID today, more like the playoff guy from last year. I like it, especially in those conditions.

TRUE but we only brought 3 a lot of the time at the end. However, you are right we struggled getting to the QB

TRUE. Our safeties, in particular, are being exposed. Our MLBs are not great in coverage either. We need a game changing safety, but where we're going to draft, he may be hard to come by.

I think there has only been 1 FG over 50 in an NFL game made at Heinz Field and that was made in early September (when it's a sh*tload warmer and t he turf is in good condition) this year. For the longest time, the longest FG in a pro game was 47. The turf, after thanksgiving, when PA runs all their state HS championships there, is TERRIBLE. NOONE was kicking a 50 yard FG there today, and in a game of field position, there is no way you try.

Some of the Jets clock management is just unbelievable. And it's everyone. That play before the end of the half - I mean Sanchez was just looking to the sideline like WTF are we doing here? We had two timeouts and cost ourselves a shot at FG territory because of the complete ignorance of EVERYONE on the team not realising that you HAVE to call a TO. I mean this is a team full of veterans, Jason Taylor, LT, T-Rich - Somebody call a ******* timeout!

Penalties at bad times still concern me. That Slauson hold was a 14 point swing.

Absolutely right...we lost to Baltimore because of that stuff, and we also lost to GB because of that. The coaching improved a little bit, hopefully they see what needs to be corrected and do it. Now is the right time...Beat the bears, beat the Bills, beat whoever we face in the first round, beat whoever we face in the second round because I wont rest until we face that Pats team...hopefully I am right and we see them again in the Championship game. Payback is a bitch....

The number 1 problem of this team that appeared last night is clock management. We all complain about 2 yard runs. Sometimes, 2 yards, and 40 seconds, or an opponents TO is a huge win. Last night, it would have been.

On the 2nd-last drive in particular was maddening. Tomlinson has to not run out of bounds on the direct snap. It's not like he leaped forward past the first down marker and barely got the first by 6 inches. He had the first and needed to stay in. Get a knee down on his way out or something, and he's been around long enough to know better. Then after gaining 5 on the next play it's 2nd & 5 and we pass twice in a row (2 incompletions). Edwards' I don't remember as well. Thought he caught it right by there and got pushed out or had to stick out his hand to get the first, but again I really don't remember enough to find fault with it. Of course, the play could have called for him to run another yard or two away from the sideline. Either way, I'm a little less nitpicky with first downs on completions unless the player just runs out of bounds himself to avoid contact.

Now the odd thing about it all is that it worked out. If those plays didn't unfold exactly as they did - and if we couldn't run for 5 yards on those 2 plays - things needed to happen exactly as they did to pin Pittsburgh and get the safety. Absent that, odds are not good that the same snap would have happened with the same wind with the same everything to pin Pittsburgh on their 3 and cause them to run it. With 40 seconds less (or 1 timeout less) there's a good chance they wouldn't have run it at all on first down no matter how deep they started the drive.

The last pass attempt was inexcusable. On their own 40, so even if they hand off and lose a yard and punt, it's still likely that Pittsburgh starts the drive inside their own 20 needing a TD and with 1 less timeout. Makes it even worse that we only had 3 yards to go. So even if the chance of completing a pass there was greater than running for a first in an obvious running situation, the chance of keeping the clock going was 100% one way and 50% the other way. Not to mention other things that could happen, like a ball getting tipped into the air and picked off, or just getting picked off outright on a shallow field (so if it was picked off there's a good chance of returning it back the other way).

With a money QB on the other side you want to leave him with the fewest sure chances and that means keeping the clock running.

And then there's everyone's favorite after Sanchez throws for a first down...

1st and 10 at NYJ 49#75 Turner reports as eligible receiver. Direct snap to #16 Smith. (Shotgun) B.Smith right end to PIT 49 for 2 yards (J.Farrior, B.Keisel).

I'll take the win any way it happened, and Pittsburgh can take it up the a$$ and then eat it. But if one of these simple things ends our season in the playoffs, in a game we should have otherwise won, it's going to be infuriating.

Archived