Can we all agree a pass rusher is needed in the draft or FA?

This defense has been sorely exposed with the losses in the secondary, yeah you Drew Coleman.

We need bona fide pass rusher to help this defense not rely so much on coverage. We rank last in the league in sacks also.

Sorry if I am whining but I am so frustrated in watching these December swoons. I know we made the playoffs but what type of confidence or momentum do they really have going on the road to a KC environment that hasn't lost at home all year and is notorious for being tough on the visitor.

Remember the last time we went to KC?? We got killed!

I don't know much about free agency/cap matters and the CBA situation makes everything unclear, but I would love to know if there is anyone in FA that we could get to help the pass rush. The front 7 needs a serious upgrading. It's probably going to have to be a combined effort between FA and the draft to address it. Tanny needs the next draft to produce quick results or he's going to start feeling some heat.

This defense has been sorely exposed with the losses in the secondary, yeah you Drew Coleman.

We need bona fide pass rusher to help this defense not rely so much on coverage. We rank last in the league in sacks also.

Sorry if I am whining but I am so frustrated in watching these December swoons. I know we made the playoffs but what type of confidence or momentum do they really have going on the road to a KC environment that hasn't lost at home all year and is notorious for being tough on the visitor.

Remember the last time we went to KC?? We got killed!

While i agree that we definitely need a pass rush, we are not last in the league in sacks. we are actually 10th

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&season=2010&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Sacks don't tell the whole story, thats for sure. Sometimes you get pressure and that doesn't result in sacks but that changes the throws and the time the QB has to look down the field. Some of the guys we could look at in Free Agency are Lamarr Woodley, Derrick Johnson, Ray Edwards, Marcus Spears and maybe even Kiwanuka...

2. Isn't there a scenario where Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes can simply walk away from this team? Are they UFA's?

I know you have that paranoid hypothetical about the Colts grabbing one of them, but there will be money for at least one of those guys. Plus, Bryalon seems like he might give us the big city discount. Hopefully.

While we may be in the top half of the league in sacks, we have not pressured the QB nearly as well as we did last year, especially on obvious passing downs.

I don't know the answer to this ... maybe somebody else does ... but I wonder how many of our sacks this year have actually come on obvious passing situations, say 3rd and long.

Last year, it was alot.

This year, I don't think nearly as much.

I think the point is that opposing teams are having much better success this year against our blitzes in obvious passing situations, which leaves our secondary extremely exposed on critical plays that end up extending drives. Part of it is our secondary. While Cromartie has been much better than Lito last year, our safety play last year, even with Rhodes, was much better than it's been this year. And there is no denying that our blitz packages were much more effective last year, as well. We're just not pressuring the QB the same way we did last year, that much is obvious.

Sacks don't tell the whole story, thats for sure. Sometimes you get pressure and that doesn't result in sacks but that changes the throws and the time the QB has to look down the field. Some of the guys we could look at in Free Agency are Lamarr Woodley, Derrick Johnson, Ray Edwards, Marcus Spears and maybe even Kiwanuka...

While we may be in the top half of the league in sacks, we have not pressured the QB nearly as well as we did last year, especially on obvious passing downs.

I don't know the answer to this ... maybe somebody else does ... but I wonder how many of our sacks this year have actually come on obvious passing situations, say 3rd and long.

Last year, it was alot.

This year, I don't think nearly as much.

I think the point is that opposing teams are having much better success this year against our blitzes in obvious passing situations, which leaves our secondary extremely exposed on critical plays that end up extending drives. Part of it is our secondary. While Cromartie has been much better than Lito last year, our safety play last year, even with Rhodes, was much better than it's been this year. And there is no denying that our blitz packages were much more effective last year, as well. We're just not pressuring the QB the same way we did last year, that much is obvious.

im not saying that we dont have a problem, because we clearly do. i was just pointing out that while it may not seem like we are getting sacks, in actuality we are. but that doesnt mean that we dont need to do something to rectify the problem with getting pressure.

February or not it is still needed..and with no pass rush it will be sooner unfortunately.

When you draft in 30's you take the BPA.

Last year the Jets were torched in the 2nd half of the AFC Championship game so they drafted K Wilson, who it turns out was a huge reach in the 1st rd. The Jets clearly need pass rush, DL, and S.

If they get a premiere Safety can they blitz more to hide the pass rush? What about linebackers who can cover someone? At the bottom of each rd the best thing they can do is BPA.

When you draft in 30's you take the BPA.

Last year the Jets were torched in the 2nd half of the AFC Championship game so they drafted K Wilson, who it turns out was a huge reach in the 1st rd. The Jets clearly need pass rush, DL, and S.

If they get a premiere Safety can they blitz more to hide the pass rush? What about linebackers who can cover someone? At the bottom of each rd the best thing they can do is BPA.

Kyle Wilson at the time wasn't a huge reach in the 1st round at the time he was considered good value where we got him. Hindsight is a bitch. Honestly looking at the draft who would you have picked around our pick who was available over Wilson with the info we had at the time?

I know you have that paranoid hypothetical about the Colts grabbing one of them, but there will be money for at least one of those guys. Plus, Bryalon seems like he might give us the big city discount. Hopefully.

I embrace my paranoia. It's just that this offense is putrid 90% of the time WITH two studs at WR, can you imagine what it would look like if you took both of them away and made Tannenbaum--gasp--draft a receiver? If you're Holmes and Braylon, and teams with better QB's came a-callin', and the money was close, why would you stay? Because you like waiting around for Mark Sanchez to figure it out? Looking around the league, the Colts are DYING for a wideout. Ditto teams like Pittsburgh and New England. All I'm saying is that there's a very real possibility that there will be a hot market for wideouts this off-season and we could very possibly have two huge holes ripped into our team.

1. It sucks that we may have to, yet again, go out and buy another player to fill a huge hole on the roster.

2. Isn't there a scenario where Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes can simply walk away from this team? Are they UFA's?

Braylon is terrible. He can **** off if he wants.

Kyle Wilson at the time wasn't a huge reach in the 1st round at the time he was considered good value where we got him. Hindsight is a bitch. Honestly looking at the draft who would you have picked around our pick who was available over Wilson with the info we had at the time?

Kyle Wilson actually fell to us. Most mocks had him as the #2 CB after Joe Haden and had him not falling past Houston at 20.

Kyle Wilson actually fell to us. Most mocks had him as the #2 CB after Joe Haden and had him not falling past Houston at 20.

I know that why I said he was good value. I'd really like to hear from a lot of these people bitching about the pick who they would have grabbed at the spot.

I know that why I said he was good value. I'd really like to hear from a lot of these people bitching about the pick who they would have grabbed at the spot.

I liked the pick and still think he will turn out alright. And look at some of the CB's who were drafted after him. Patrick Robinson has done nothing in New Orleans and its the same for Chris Cook in Minnesota. I agree that he was the right pick at that slot.

Nate Allen or TJ Ward would be helpful right about now.

TJ Ward at the time was considered a reach, I'm an oregon duck fan and even I was shocked at when he went and how well he's playing. Nate Allen I can agree with but again at the time that would have been 50/50. I don't think a single fan was upset with the Wilson pick at the time sometimes players don't end up the way we hope, you can't hit pay dirt every time.

Also even if he has been put behind Coleman and other CBs on the roster its been one season after the dude played against WAC competition. Its gonna take more then a year for him to develop.

TJ Ward at the time was considered a reach, I'm an oregon duck fan and even I was shocked at when he went and how well he's playing. Nate Allen I can agree with but again at the time that would have been 50/50. I don't think a single fan was upset with the Wilson pick at the time sometimes players don't end up the way we hope, you can't hit pay dirt every time.

Also even if he has been put behind Coleman and other CBs on the roster its been one season after the dude played against WAC competition. Its gonna take more then a year for him to develop.

I wasn't in love with Wilson. I thought all the better corners were properly taken before him. He was the 4th best CB and I had Allen as the 3rd best safety and Ward as the 4th.

Can't really complain now that the pick is made, but there's a few reasons safety coulda/woulda/shoulda been smarter:

1. We lost Sheppard and replaced him with a bigger, faster, healthier, younger Antonio Cromartie.

2. We lost Rhodes and they repalced him with a much more injury prone player with lesser hands.

3. Team had 3 CBs they liked. It was unlikely any rookie would be starting inside, and Coleman is not going to just hand over the nickel job. They liked the safeties, but besides Leonhard who was a legit starter after him?

Also, they passed on f*ckin Greg Hardy/any other OLB propsect 4 times...mostly Greg Hardy. They took a FB with a cool nickname instead in the 5th.

W/e...woulda/coulda/shoulda stuff is only fun/agonizing...I do it mostly with the '03 draft and the dick a$$ Texans not giving us Andre Johnson. They did it again in '06 taking Williams over Bush or Young too, so we "only" got D'Brick and not Mario (maybe).

I've see some mock drafts where they have us picking Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, California, I'd say that's a good start followed by a FS. Also Champ bailey said he wants out of Denver as he's tired of all the changes. I wouldn't mind having him and showing Cromartie the door.

I've see some mock drafts where they have us picking Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, California, I'd say that's a good start followed by a FS. Also Champ bailey said he wants out of Denver as he's tired of all the changes. I wouldn't mind having him and showing Cromartie the door.

what's wrong with Cromartie?

We need to go after Von Miller come the draft. He's played 3-4 linebacker all throughout College so we know he has experience and he can play the position unlike Gholston who never played OLB.

I think he might be to small to play 3/4 OLB in the NFL. 6'2'' 240lbs is kind of small for that position but if we did get him we'd have to trade up to get him unless he has a really bad combine.

Archived