Yanks sign Rafeal Soriano

JonEJet

This locks it. Pettitte is not coming back. Joba's going back into the rotation.

I am excited about Joba being back in the rotation. If Burnett bounces back even mildly, they will be alright.

The 8th and 9th innings are looking good. And they have enough talented relievers so that the middle relief should be good as well. I am telling you now getting Cliff Lee made the Yankees work a bit. They have been better when they have to work instead of just signing the big money guy. Giambi, Burnett etc.

Unless he opts out after the first season.

And I think getting to the 8th inning is going to be a problem more often than not for the Yankees starters.

That is why the Yankees will also have a few middle relievers as well.

I am excited about Joba being back in the rotation. If Burnett bounces back even mildly, they will be alright.

The 8th and 9th innings are looking good. And they have enough talented relievers so that the middle relief should be good as well. I am telling you now getting Cliff Lee made the Yankees work a bit. They have been better when they have to work instead of just signing the big money guy. Giambi, Burnett etc.

Has Cashman said Joba is back in rotation? I think his stock is done with Yanks....maybe trade material for a legit SP.

I predicted Joba to be a ACE but was wrong. Hughes is the last survivor of Generation Tre and he was lucky he got the run support he did.

Soriano is a great, great signing but he has a player option to leave after year one and two I believe.

Small market teams that don't even try to compete financially end up making more money than big market teams that spend to win. It's all about money.

Typical Yankee Nation spew.

For the twenty billionth time, how exactly are the small market teams supposed to compete? I know, "they are rich" they need spend their own money. :rolleyes:

Even after getting 30-40 million a year in revenue sharing, they are only clearing 14 and 15 million in 2007 and 2008 respectively according to that article last year.

As the Twins and to a lesser extent the Rays have shown, the only way to do it is through the farm system. This is where they have funneled their money.

For the twenty billionth time, how exactly are the small market teams supposed to compete? I know, "they are rich" they need spend their own money. :rolleyes:

Even after getting 30-40 million a year in revenue sharing, they are only clearing 14 and 15 million in 2007 and 2008 respectively according to that article last year.

As the Twins and to a lesser extent the Rays have shown, the only way to do it is through the farm system. This is where they have funneled their money.

Says the Boston fan. Your payroll is neck and neck and with the yankees lol. I'm sure your owners don't feel any better about small market teams pocketing revenue sharing money than the yankees do.

Says the Boston fan. Your payroll is neck and neck and with the yankees lol. I'm sure your owners don't feel any better about small market teams pocketing revenue sharing money than the yankees do.

I have never argued otherwise. I am thankful my team is among the handful of haves.

I am only looking at a Yankee Nation explanation on how they are supposed to compete?

This. Huge difference $10-15 million would have made for the Pirates over those years :rolleyes: . They wouldn't make any money, and they still wouldn't be able to sign/keep 1 top tier player. Maybe they'd only lose 90 games instead of 100+.

This. Huge difference $10-15 million would have made for the Pirates over those years :rolleyes: . They wouldn't make any money, and they still wouldn't be able to sign/keep 1 top tier player. Maybe they'd only lose 90 games instead of 100+.

There is no excuse to be as bad as the pirates are and to have drafted where they have for the past 20 years.

There is no excuse to be as bad as the pirates are and to have drafted where they have for the past 20 years.

Lol, sure there are. Injuries, poor scouting, poor development, poor trading, wtf?

What does that have to do with team payroll anyway? Its a completely different budget.

Lol, sure there are. Injuries, poor scouting, poor development, poor trading, wtf?

What does that have to do with team payroll anyway? Its a completely different budget.

None of those are valid excuses for that run of awfulness they just shows how horribly the team has been run. Also it has A LOT to do with team payroll because when you draft where they draft every year you should be producing players at least a modest rate and paying them.

None of those are valid excuses for that run of awfulness they just shows how horribly the team has been run. Also it has A LOT to do with team payroll because when you draft where they draft every year you should be producing players at least a modest rate and paying them.

The Pirates spent more on draft bonuses this year than any team ever has in the history of the league.

On top of that, the MLB draft is more hit and miss than any of the big sports. Apparently you believe teams can just pick a name out of a hat and they'll be an all-star and never get injured. Geniuz!

Ok Mike, here are the Pirates 1st round picks that aren't with the team anymore going back to 1994 when they started getting their oh so valuable high picks; you tell me which ones the Pirates should have signed and which ones would have made them competative. Keep in mind that since scouting, development, and health are no excuse, these guys should have all been all-stars :rolleyes:.

2002 Bryan Bullington, 1st overall

2001 John VanBenschoten, 8th overall

2000 Sean Burnett, 19th overall

1999 Bobby Bradley, 8th overall

1998 Clinton Johnston, 15th overall

1997 J.J. Davis, 8th overall

1996 Kris Benson, 1st overall

1995 Chad Hermansen, 10th overall

1994 Mark Farris, 11th overall

On top of that, the MLB draft is more hit and miss than any of the big sports. Apparently you believe teams can just pick a name out of a hat and they'll be an all-star and never get injured. Geniuz!

Ok Mike, here are the Pirates 1st round picks that aren't with the team anymore going back to 1994 when they started getting their oh so valuable high picks; you tell me which ones the Pirates should have signed and which ones would have made them competative. Keep in mind that since scouting, development, and health are no excuse, these guys should have all been all-stars :rolleyes:.

2002 Bryan Bullington, 1st overall

2001 John VanBenschoten, 8th overall

2000 Sean Burnett, 19th overall

1999 Bobby Bradley, 8th overall

1998 Clinton Johnston, 15th overall

1997 J.J. Davis, 8th overall

1996 Kris Benson, 1st overall

1995 Chad Hermansen, 10th overall

1994 Mark Farris, 11th overall

How about picking better players? It's not a crap shoot. You're using the word excuse wrong. Bad scouting that resulted in these awful players is an indictment of the organization from the top down that has nothing to do with payroll. If you draft like that for 10 years you deserve to suck. It's not like the Yankees or Red Sox are in that division either. They are all Mid to Small market teams.

So to summarize, you think the Pirates should be spending ~$15 million more each season and putting themselves into the red, while still being in the bottom 5 of team payrolls. On top of that, you think they should be spending that $15 million on a ******* time machine to go back to the past and magically get better scouting.

Ok, since time machines don't exist, which free agents could they have spent $15 million on last year to compete for a championship? That's a combined 34 WAR that they would need for $15 million. Good luck with that.

They should be spending more than 15 million more. In business you have to invest money to win and baseball is no different. They don't even try to be competitive. How about hiring some better scouts after 5 years of drafting garbage? How about after 10? You don't lose for that long without franchise-wide incompetence.

They should be spending more than 15 million more. In business you have to invest money to win and baseball is no different. They don't even try to be competitive. How about hiring some better scouts after 5 years of drafting garbage? How about after 10? You don't lose for that long without franchise-wide incompetence.

Again with the time machine bullsh*t. You think they should have spent more money the past few years on mlb payroll, yet you can't explain how they could have competed if they had...

Btw, the Pirates did do a big overhaul a few years ago. And they are investing, in the draft and their farm system. Cause its the only way they can realistically compete.

But you're right as always, if only they had a time machine and went back in time to get better scouting, then they could have somehow gotten Micah Owings instead of Ross Ohlendorf and then they'd be world beaters, right? LOL. GENIUZ!

Archived