Santonio Holmes: Sitting me in AFC title game made “biggest difference in how we played”

Kentucky Jet

Santonio Holmes: Sitting me in AFC title game made “biggest difference in how we played”

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 10, 2011, 10:25 AM EDT

Getty ImagesFollowing the Jets’ AFC title game loss to the Steelers, Santonio Holmes made a pointed remark about his absence from the field early in the game:

“Ask coach Schottenheimer what happened. He’ll explain it,” Holmes fumed at the time, as described by Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com.

Holmes and Schottenheimer both haven’t said a word since until Saturday, when the impending free agent receiver didn’t back down from the comments.

“I was being critical of not starting in the game,” Holmes told Cimini. “However anybody wants to take it, whoever it was taking a shot at, that’s that. I was being critical of not starting in the AFC Championship Game and I was frustrated. I was very upset that I didn’t play for 10 plays. It probably made the biggest difference in how we played.”

We’d argue that the Jets’ pathetic tackling in the first half made the biggest difference. And the Jets offense struggled to start fast throughout the season, whether Holmes was in the game or not.

It is a little odd that Holmes sat early in the game, but he wound up unofficially playing 45 of 57 snaps.

Holmes says the mini-benching won’t affect his decision regarding whether to return to the Jets, as long as he gets a long-term contract offer.

These comments may not help his case.

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 10, 2011, 10:25 AM EDT

Getty ImagesFollowing the Jets’ AFC title game loss to the Steelers, Santonio Holmes made a pointed remark about his absence from the field early in the game:

“Ask coach Schottenheimer what happened. He’ll explain it,” Holmes fumed at the time, as described by Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com.

Holmes and Schottenheimer both haven’t said a word since until Saturday, when the impending free agent receiver didn’t back down from the comments.

“I was being critical of not starting in the game,” Holmes told Cimini. “However anybody wants to take it, whoever it was taking a shot at, that’s that. I was being critical of not starting in the AFC Championship Game and I was frustrated. I was very upset that I didn’t play for 10 plays. It probably made the biggest difference in how we played.”

We’d argue that the Jets’ pathetic tackling in the first half made the biggest difference. And the Jets offense struggled to start fast throughout the season, whether Holmes was in the game or not.

It is a little odd that Holmes sat early in the game, but he wound up unofficially playing 45 of 57 snaps.

Holmes says the mini-benching won’t affect his decision regarding whether to return to the Jets, as long as he gets a long-term contract offer.

These comments may not help his case.

Why on earth would schotty sit Holmes for the first ten plays of a game against, of all teams, the Steelers--with the super-bowl on the line? Doesn't make any sense at all. Not even a little bit.

Obviously Shotty was wrong for benching him, but are you guys seriously picking apart Shotty because Santonio is a selfish, me-first player? I never thought he was by his previous comments, but this is ridiculous. But it's probably because he was spoiled since his high school days..he played for Glades Central, which had all these "dough boys" that would pay players...not even joking. I'm guessing ever since then, he thinks he's entitled to anything and everything he wants.

No one recognizes this story? It came out as soon as it could back after the Playoff loss...I do think accommodations should be made to please Holmes and get a new OC in here. It'd end well for everybody, and clearly this isn't a SB team with the current offensive coordinator.

We are in the unenviable position of having sh*thammer as our OC and no one that could seems to know how to make him go away. That said, we lost to the Steelers because our defensive 11 all channeled their inner Kerry Rhodes for an operational model in the 1st half of the game. Holmes needs to remember how to STFU if he wants to wear Jet Green going forward.

You wonder how big an ego these players could get- yes we lost all because of you Santonio

Exactly. I can't fathom how people are actually defending this guy for being a selfish, me-first player. Yeah, Schooty sucks and we all know it, but Santonio needs to shut the f*** up and be a team player.

... don't think holmes would have been able to make a tackle on D ...

... his being out the 1st 10 plays in not why we lost ...

Everyone expects the D to be awesome all the time. In this league, with the way they change the rules every year, if a D holds the other team to 20 points or less it is doing a pretty good job. Did they miss tackles? hell yes... but also the offense has to score more than 17 points to win an AFC CG on the road.

Put it another way if the Jets answered the 10 minute opening drive with a fieldgoal they could win 20-19. If they answer with a touchdown drive it's 7-7 and the whole game is changed. Gotta score points, and it's on Schotty and Mark as well as Santonio. No one wants to say it but it's tough to come back from behind every single week, gotta get it started in the 1st quarter.

Everyone expects the D to be awesome all the time.

If they answer with a touchdown drive it's 7-7 and the whole game is changed.

Gotta score points,

... of course points must be scored to win ...

... however ...

... the strength of the NYJ since rex has been here is our D ... followed pretty closely by our specials ... with an offense trailing way behind ...

... different teams are constructed differently ... ours has included a low scoring offense ... is this due to the offensive coordinator? ... is it due to the qb? ... is it due to scheme's being conservative at the behest of the HC? ... all are possibilites ...

... the fact remains however ...

... THIS is who our team is ... that is not going to suddenly change in the AFC championship game ...

... our biggest asset played as poor of a 1st half as i can recall them playing since rex got here ...

... we should not expect to win a superbowl with our best unit laying an egg in the championship game ...

l_j_r

Obviously Shotty was wrong for benching him, but are you guys seriously picking apart Shotty because Santonio is a selfish, me-first player? I never thought he was by his previous comments, but this is ridiculous. But it's probably because he was spoiled since his high school days..he played for Glades Central, which had all these "dough boys" that would pay players...not even joking. I'm guessing ever since then, he thinks he's entitled to anything and everything he wants.

I think people are picking apart shotty because these issues keep comming up. If its not predictable play calling, its stupid play calling. If its not stupid play calling, its sitting players who can make a difference. This guy is a horrible OC who tries too hard to complicate the offense causing more issues for his own players than he causes for the opposition. Hes terrible with his handling of QB's and in critical situations he has big problems getting plays in. Sorry but head sets are no excuse there should have been signs ready to go in case the QB had issues hearing the play calls and there were not, which also raises questions of how well prepared this guy is. So its not "just" a Santonio Issue although I do not like when players air their dirty laundry with the media it should be kept in house.

... of course points must be scored to win ...

... however ...

... the strength of the NYJ since rex has been here is our D ... followed pretty closely by our specials ... with an offense trailing way behind ...

... different teams are constructed differently ... ours has included a low scoring offense ... is this due to the offensive coordinator? ... is it due to the qb? ... is it due to scheme's being conservative at the behest of the HC? ... all are possibilites ...

... the fact remains however ...

... THIS is who our team is ... that is not going to suddenly change in the AFC championship game ...

... our biggest asset played as poor of a 1st half as i can recall them playing since rex got here ...

... we should not expect to win a superbowl with our best unit laying an egg in the championship game ...

l_j_r

when we talk about defense first super bowls... the Pats, the Bucs, the Ravens... the once in a decade exceptions to the rule... these teams could score points... and get first downs to allow that defense to rest. Yes teh defense suffered a let down but the offense has to pick em up. Instead what happened was the Jets didn't get a point until late in 2nd quarter. Im not asking for the offense to be like the Texans or Chargers but they have to at least keep pace.

it should also be noted that the offense gave up that fumble worth a TD ... again it was schottys fault for calling the play, marks fault for not tucking the ball or throwing it earlier, and probably bricks fault too (altho he had 2 men to block)... but end of the day the offense didn't do enough to win. It's an offense driven league.

Yes teh defense suffered a let down but the offense has to pick em up.

... i guess this is where we disagree ...

... i would love to have the offense pick them up ... but ... they have shown nothing in 2 years that we should expect that to happen ...

but end of the day the offense didn't do enough to win. It's an offense driven league.

... and again ... stating the same point that we disagree on in different words ...

... sure it's an offense driven league ... however, the J-E-T-S are a defense driven team ... thus it was the defense that didn't do enough to win ...

... i'll agree to disagree with you on it ...

l_j_r

Archived