Why is Rex writing a book

Matt39

It's fine to blow smoke up the media's a$$ about a player. Happens all the time. It just strikes me as a little ghey to come back two years later and rip a guy in a book so you can earn a couple of bucks. Especially when you're a coach who prides himself on loyalty. As always, if Belichick did this, Jets fans would get carpal tunnel ripping him to shreds.

Tom, do you really think any of the players he spoke about were surprised about how he feels about them? If anything you're getting an insight of how he actually handles lazy/underachieving players behind doors.

He rips both Rhodes and Gholston. Both on things we already knew...just seems out of character for Rex to do this.

Huh? He ripped Rhodes before and after he was gone... and you knew it would only be a matter of time before he ripped Gholston... and he really should rip Jenkins... and some others too

I am still not sure why he had to write a book write in the middle of a coaching stint. There is nothing but downside to this from a team's standpoint. It will make him some money but the controversy it generates in a slow off season is not worth it.

Wait for this job to be over or better when you have finished coaching or atleast after you have been a decade in the business or when you have a ring as HC on your finger. Rex Ryan is just not there!

What Ryan says publicly and what he says to players are two totally different things. Just because he was publicly praising Gholston for the company line doesn'tmean for second that he was kissing Gholston's a$$ in private. Quite the contrary, I think you saw alot of how he truly handles players in Hard Knocks. He had no qualms calling out bad players at all. In fact, I specifically remember his comment about Slauson saying something to the likes of "when you look at this guy play (Slauson), you gotta wonder can this guy really be THAT bad (Ducasse)". he also clearly was giving it to Rhodes before he departed. Rhodes was benched, whining to the press and basically called out for the world to see. All coaches need to present a certain "line" about players and coaches to the press, but I have no doubt that every player knows exactly where they stand with Rex at all times. Those that work hard get praise. Those that don't get no love at all.

My comments in this thread were geared toward the Visa comment of "Rex tells it like it is".

Of course he doesn't-he can't. No one can.

This book is there to contain enough eyebrow raising comments to earn a buck (nothing wrong with that). Anyone who believe that this is unexpurgated Ryan is kidding themselves.

I like Rex Ryan.

I just will not be naive and swallow all the tripe that he dishes. That is his style and I understand it. But that does not mean that I have to believe that everything he says is unexpurgated. He is very calculated. Most good coaches are

It does get tiresome. Every off season Rex goes out on the ledge. Yadayadayada. I did not like that about the old man either. But I want him as coach, so.....

Tom, do you really think any of the players he spoke about were surprised about how he feels about them? If anything you're getting an insight of how he actually handles lazy/underachieving players behind doors.

Personally, I love it. He can tear Rhodes up for 50 pages and I still wouldn't get enough. I hate Rhodes, and him and Gholston deserve shredding. But Rex's whole shtick is that he's a genuine guy, etc., and this book exposes that as a bunch of bullsh*t. Strikes me as weak and unnecessary--especially the part where he (given the circumstances, hypocritically) calls Gholston "phony" and backhandedly ridicules Mike Tomlin for trashing Holmes all over the league. Why air that dirty laundry? Also, if he's writing a book where he wants to be portrayed as brutally honest, it'll be interesting to see how many pages he dedicates to the fact that he lets strange dudes from the Internet come over and jerk off on his wife's feet.

Huh? He ripped Rhodes before and after he was gone... and you knew it would only be a matter of time before he ripped Gholston... and he really should rip Jenkins... and some others too

I dont remember him ripping Kerry while he was here to be honest.

Im sure Jenkins falls into the same class as those two as well...total high maintenance player with little production...doesnt mean Rex needs to publicly state it though.

He is like the guy that just can't wait to tell you how smart he is, because he thinks everyone thinks he is so damn interesting.

It just isn't so.

I totally get the bluster that he was a part of in order to sell PSLs and change the jets image. That was some good PR work there, and he has done a decent job of backing it up. But this is now a money grab, with all the wrong reasons attached.

What a bunch of ungrateful ******* bastards Jets fans are.

Rex Ryan is a gift from God and you ****s dont even realize it. Bunch of ******* pussies we have for fans.

The man is heaven sent. Every word he says is gold. Shame on you all.

When he brings us a Super Bowl, which he will. I wont allow anyone of you haters to rejoice in our championship happiness.

Rex Ryan is a gift from God and you ****s dont even realize it. Bunch of ******* pussies we have for fans.

When he brings us a Super Bowl, which he will. I wont allow anyone of you haters to rejoice in our championship happiness.

Yup, Jet fans are some of the most spoiled in the league, and we do not even recognize it.

Herm wrote "How To Get Jobs in the NFL Without Really Trying."

I'll kiss your butt and call it ice cream and if you don't like it I can change!" To which Burns replied, "I like your approach: spineless yet aggressive." And he hired Homer. .

Personally, I love it. He can tear Rhodes up for 50 pages and I still wouldn't get enough. I hate Rhodes, and him and Gholston deserve shredding. But Rex's whole shtick is that he's a genuine guy, etc., and this book exposes that as a bunch of bullsh*t. Strikes me as weak and unnecessary--especially the part where he (given the circumstances, hypocritically) calls Gholston "phony" and backhandedly ridicules Mike Tomlin for trashing Holmes all over the league. Why air that dirty laundry? Also, if he's writing a book where he wants to be portrayed as brutally honest, it'll be interesting to see how many pages he dedicates to the fact that he lets strange dudes from the Internet come over and jerk off on his wife's feet.

You kind of missed the point of my question. First off, I'm not thrilled he wrote a book and think it's a little premature to be honest. However, Rex is as genuine as it gets to the people he deals with. Kerry Rhodes knew damn well how Rex felt about him. So did Gholston. I highly doubt that either one of those guys would read that and think "hey, I really thought he loved me this whole time." Now claiming Rex is not a genuine guy because his job entails lying to the press I think is a little over the top. Has there ever been a coach that tells it like it is to the press? Besides DuhHerm?

You kind of missed the point of my question. First off, I'm not thrilled he wrote a book and think it's a little premature to be honest. However, Rex is as genuine as it gets to the people he deals with. Kerry Rhodes knew damn well how Rex felt about him. So did Gholston. I highly doubt that either one of those guys would read that and think "hey, I really thought he loved me this whole time." Now claiming Rex is not a genuine guy because his job entails lying to the press I think is a little over the top. Has there ever been a coach that tells it like it is to the press? Besides DuhHerm?

I gotcha now. It just seems yucky is all. What's the motivation?

Here is how these things are done-These book deals are inked BEFORE the season-The anticipation was there that this would be a special season for the Jets.

You keep notes and recordings as you go through the season, rather than having to recollect them later.

Again, the anticipation is that something special is going to happen. When something special doesn't happen, it flattens for the author, but sometimes it is exciting for the book company to actually witness a train wreck.

laugh.gif

Archived