Still think we should and owe it to ellis to bring him back

Jetkid94

He's been a jet for life... he has been through the toughest times with this team. If we ever win a super bowl he is the jet that is most deserving of it because he has never given up for us and has been a great effort player with solid results. He never complained, always kept quiet. Kinda reminds me of paul pierce with the celtics. He stuck with the team when they sucked through years and never complained never demanded to leave. They get good and he finally gets rewarded. Ellis is a guy that I see wanting to play another year because I feel he played fine last year... ecspecially in the playoffs he turned his game up another notch. He has made his big paydays throughout his career and I can't see him wanting an X amount of money from us as I think he sees we can win this upcoming season and he'll want that ring after all these years.

Everyone says since our draft that ellis is gone... but I really think we should keep him for cheap because quite frankly he deserves one more run.

Toughest times with this team? He came way after that. I think the Jets missed the playoffs three times since Ellis arrived and once of those times was with a 9-7 record. I like Ellis, but they have a lot of bodies on the DLine and they need to sign some players. Holmes/Edwards/Brad Smith/Woody/Hunter/Turner/Jenkins/Pool/Cromartie and probably some others need to be signed or replaced. They can't have everybody.

I wouldn't rule it out. Ellis is one of my favorite Jets, no doubt about it. Hard worker, solid player, longest tenured.

The money situation is just so confusing right now that who knows what will happen. In a way it would be a shame to lose him after acquiring all this help on the D-line. We could have one of the deepest rotations with 5 solid linemen in Ellis, DeVito, Pouha, Ellis and Wilkerson. The only thing better for a d-line than 5 big strong fat men is 5 well rested big strong fat men.

ellis is one of my favorite jets since I've been following the team

I think since they never even offfered an extension, they are in wait and see mode with him

it will be interesting to see if other teams bring him in like the browns, steelers or pats* once FA begins

at some point, the jets need to be like the steelers, and let the older guys go before it's too late

if he'll do a 1 year deal, fine

if he wants 3 years, then no, sorry see ya

No. He's too old and we won't be the top bidder for him. Even he'd have to realize that, unless the Jets just drafted 2 total DL busts, he might get a handful of starts and then some spot duty before getting released at the end of the season. Someone might make him a full-time starter for 2 more years (and pay him as such) but it won't be the Jets.

Hate to say it but there were too many times he had a QB (or RB) 1-on-1 after he got off his block and at this stage he's too easy to elude & run away from.

No. He's too old and we won't be the top bidder for him. Even he'd have to realize that, unless the Jets just drafted 2 total DL busts, he might get a handful of starts and then some spot duty before getting released at the end of the season. Someone might make him a full-time starter for 2 more years (and pay him as such) but it won't be the Jets.

Hate to say it but there were too many times he had a QB (or RB) 1-on-1 after he got off his block and at this stage he's too easy to elude & run away from.

IMO, it depends. Odds are we're going to be playing 2011 under the same rules as 2010 - uncapped, with final 4 rules in play. So offer him a decent chunk of change for a 1 year deal, and ease Wilkerson and K. Ellis into the rotation. But if we need to sign him for more than one season to get him to come back, no dice.

I fully support BIg Cat Ellis being a Jet in 2011.

IF the price is right. Thats always the killer, the kicker, with aged veterans. We Fans love them, and want them to stay and pay out their career with us, but they (the player) realize they have VERY limited momey-making time left in them......and they want to play too, not be depth, after a career of starting.

For them, going to "Insert Bad Desperate Team Here" for more money and promices of playing time....means alot. Hard to fault them for leaving, hard to fault us for not wanting to pay much for diminishing performance.

Catch-22.

They should definitely bring ellis back on a minimum contract. If he doesnt want to accept that, then that is his choice and he had a chance to return but didnt take it. Im sure he understands that we need to get younger, and have alot of other more pressing FA to sign. So if he wants to stay aboard and get a ring he will have to take less money if hes willing.

They should definitely bring ellis back on a minimum contract. If he doesnt want to accept that, then that is his choice and he had a chance to return but didnt take it. Im sure he understands that we need to get younger, and have alot of other more pressing FA to sign. So if he wants to stay aboard and get a ring he will have to take less money if hes willing.

personally,i dont think there will be a large market for ellis.he is a serviceable dinosour.i think most teams would sign him,but in the way the jets are thinking.on the cheap.i think most gm's would agree.he has 1,maybe 2 serviceable years left in the tank.if the bidding remains low,do the jets sign him?i think they will.hopefully,he retires a jet with a peice of gold around his finger

IMO, it depends. Odds are we're going to be playing 2011 under the same rules as 2010 - uncapped, with final 4 rules in play. So offer him a decent chunk of change for a 1 year deal, and ease Wilkerson and K. Ellis into the rotation. But if we need to sign him for more than one season to get him to come back, no dice.

In that case, and I wasn't even thinking that, it makes me want to re-sign him even less. If Ellis can get a 2 year deal for $3-4M from someone (or more) I'd rather the Jets sink that into another FA for less money. Keeping in mind, of course, I have no idea who this fictitious player is but one player I wouldn't mind replacing is Brunell. Doesn't have to be anyone great, but at least someone who's played in a game with starting NFL players since the middle of 2006.

Toughest times with this team? He came way after that. I think the Jets missed the playoffs three times since Ellis arrived and once of those times was with a 9-7 record. I like Ellis, but they have a lot of bodies on the DLine and they need to sign some players. Holmes/Edwards/Brad Smith/Woody/Hunter/Turner/Jenkins/Pool/Cromartie and probably some others need to be signed or replaced. They can't have everybody.

True about him not being a part of the toughest of times but he can still play at the game's biggest moments. I hope they bring him back, he is still an ideal DE for a 34 and always seems to come up big when we need him.

It would be sad to see him in another jersey but like it not...it is infact a business.

Ellis is the perfect for the rookies to try to beat out. If they do, beat him,then he plays the Trevor Pryce role from last year. If those two guys are good enough to beat him out, then he'd excel in the Trevor Pryce role. Less run defending and more go after the QB for him and he could have another 8-10 sack season.

Alot depends on the labor situation. If the Final 8 rules are in place the Jets will clearly let him test the waters in hopes that it allows them to make an offer for a free agent, however the uncapped year also gives them an avenue to bring him back on a one year deal if nobody else wants him. One thing to consider is that Ellis is not a Rex guy. There were rumors the Jets were looking to make a salary dump with him last year and that may have been part of the reason. Thats not to say Rex dislikes him, but if you watched the snap selections last year they pulled Ellis in a number of situations where they required a pass rush and he preferred others to him. If Rex gets a vote between Trevor Pryce or Ellis, Pryce is clearly going to get the vote, especially since he is going to see Pryce as a mentor to their first round pick.

Archived