Cimini: Finally, a Schott for an Explanation

flgreen

Finally, a Schott for an explanation

June, 1, 2011

Jun 1

8:07

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

It happend nearly five months ago, but Wednesday was my first chance to ask Brian Schottenheimer about the AFC Championship Game -- specifically, the four ill-fated plays at the Steelers' goal line that sparked so much criticism.

It's a little ridiculous that we're talking about this in June, but it is what it is. Besides, what else is there to talk about?

Schottenheimer, emerging from his off-season cocoon, was good enough to look back, offering some insight into the decisions. This might be painful for some fans -- just when you think the healing is complete -- but the Jets' offensive coordinator has some interesting thoughts.

First down from the 2: Shonn Greene runs up the middle for one yard.

Schottenheimer: "We went in there with a plan, and the plan was, the first time we got into goal line, we wanted to try to catch them off balance. We ran a trick formation (on first down). We had Shonn and L.T. (LaDainian Tomlinson) in the game. We had a shift with late motion. We tried a trap play; the trap play worked pretty well for us."

Second down from the 1: Mark Sanchez, under pressure, throws incomplete to Dustin Keller on play-action.

Schottenheimer: "We already talked about it as a staff: If we could get down close, we wanted to run a play-action pass because they were such a good run defense and we knew they’d be selling out. Unfortunately, we had some head-set communication problems. We actually considered a timeout, but Mark felt good that he could get the play run. He did a great job of getting the play run, but because we were rushed the run-sell wasn’t very good."

Third down from the 1: Sanchez throws incomplete, batted down by OLB LaMarr Woodley, on a quick slant to Santonio Holmes.

Schottenheimer: "We tried to spread them out. We went with a red-zone play. We tried to change it up. You have to give the defense a lot of credit. LaMarr Woodley made a Pro Bowl play. We tried to isolate Santonio on the weak side. He jumped up and batted the ball."

A week later at the Super Bowl, Woodley told me he knew it was a pass because RT Wayne Hunter tipped the play, setting in a two-point stance. Asked if they tipped the play, Schottenheimer said, "I don't think so. LaMarr obviously saw something because he didn’t rush, but we give our tackles a lot of freedom to get into a two-point stance."

Fourth down from the 1: Tomlinson runs up the middle for no gain.

Schottenheimer: "We went wth our 'Gotta-have-it' call, a play that won the divisional-round game for us last year against San Diego. We’ve run it a ton of times."

Reflecting on the entire sequence, Schottenheimer said, "I really wouldn’t have done anything different. I remember a couple of years ago, when I had (Brett) Favre. I ran it four straight times against New England and I was called conservative because I wouldn’t let Brett Favre pass. When things work as a coordinator, you look good. When they don’t, you look bad. Unfortunately, in this situation, I have to take the bullet that we didn’t get it."

Finally, a Schott for an explanation

June, 1, 2011

Jun 1

8:07

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

It happend nearly five months ago, but Wednesday was my first chance to ask Brian Schottenheimer about the AFC Championship Game -- specifically, the four ill-fated plays at the Steelers' goal line that sparked so much criticism.

It's a little ridiculous that we're talking about this in June, but it is what it is. Besides, what else is there to talk about?

Schottenheimer, emerging from his off-season cocoon, was good enough to look back, offering some insight into the decisions. This might be painful for some fans -- just when you think the healing is complete -- but the Jets' offensive coordinator has some interesting thoughts.

First down from the 2: Shonn Greene runs up the middle for one yard.

Schottenheimer: "We went in there with a plan, and the plan was, the first time we got into goal line, we wanted to try to catch them off balance. We ran a trick formation (on first down). We had Shonn and L.T. (LaDainian Tomlinson) in the game. We had a shift with late motion. We tried a trap play; the trap play worked pretty well for us."

Second down from the 1: Mark Sanchez, under pressure, throws incomplete to Dustin Keller on play-action.

Schottenheimer: "We already talked about it as a staff: If we could get down close, we wanted to run a play-action pass because they were such a good run defense and we knew they’d be selling out. Unfortunately, we had some head-set communication problems. We actually considered a timeout, but Mark felt good that he could get the play run. He did a great job of getting the play run, but because we were rushed the run-sell wasn’t very good."

Third down from the 1: Sanchez throws incomplete, batted down by OLB LaMarr Woodley, on a quick slant to Santonio Holmes.

Schottenheimer: "We tried to spread them out. We went with a red-zone play. We tried to change it up. You have to give the defense a lot of credit. LaMarr Woodley made a Pro Bowl play. We tried to isolate Santonio on the weak side. He jumped up and batted the ball."

A week later at the Super Bowl, Woodley told me he knew it was a pass because RT Wayne Hunter tipped the play, setting in a two-point stance. Asked if they tipped the play, Schottenheimer said, "I don't think so. LaMarr obviously saw something because he didn’t rush, but we give our tackles a lot of freedom to get into a two-point stance."

Fourth down from the 1: Tomlinson runs up the middle for no gain.

Schottenheimer: "We went wth our 'Gotta-have-it' call, a play that won the divisional-round game for us last year against San Diego. We’ve run it a ton of times."

Reflecting on the entire sequence, Schottenheimer said, "I really wouldn’t have done anything different. I remember a couple of years ago, when I had (Brett) Favre. I ran it four straight times against New England and I was called conservative because I wouldn’t let Brett Favre pass. When things work as a coordinator, you look good. When they don’t, you look bad. Unfortunately, in this situation, I have to take the bullet that we didn’t get it."

How about RUN WIDE? 2 low percenta ge passes and 2 runs at the teeth of the Pitt DL and 400 Lb Casey Hampton, who we did very little against all game. What a complete arrogant a$$hole.

Eh? It is what it is.

Just like the Sanchez bootleg a week or two before. Sanchez gets thrown for a loss, or fumbles the football, Schotty is an idiot. Because the play worked everyone is talking about what a great call it was.

Sadly this time it didn't work

Jets' Schottenheimer defends goal-line failure vs. Steelers: report

11:25 AM, June 2, 2011 ι POST STAFF REPORT

Brian Schottenheimer called another odd play Wednesday.

In his first comments to the media since the Jets' loss to the Steelers in the AFC Championship, the offensive coordinator told ESPN.com he "wouldn’t have done anything different" during a crucial set of four failed plays near the goal line.

After trailing 24-0, the Jets were within 24-10 to start the fourth quarter. They failed to score on that drive and wound up losing 24-19.

The series started with a first-and-goal from the Steelers 2-yard line. Shonn Greene gained 1 yard on a running play; Mark Sanchez threw incomplete to Dustin Keller; and a pass from Sanchez intended for Santonio Holmes was tipped by the Steelers defense.

On fourth down, LaDainian Tomlinson ran into the heart of the line and was stopped for no gain.

"We went with our 'Gotta-have-it' call, a play that won the divisional-round game for us last year against San Diego. We’ve run it a ton of times," Schottenheimer told the website.

The fourth-and-1 play against the Chargers came from the 29 yard line, with the Jets ahead by three points, and was run by Thomas Jones. The game ended on the next play.

Schottenheimer has been a very popular target of criticism from Jets fans, even before the failure against the Steelers.

He also was criticized by Holmes afterward, because the receiver was upset he didn't start the game. Holmes, a free agent, seemed to still be upset about it in comments made in April.

Schottenheimer said the relationship is fine.

"We left on good terms. I love the guy," he said. "He's one of my favorite competitors out there. I enjoy coaching him."

Schottenheimer also said he was able to handle the fans.

"[it] comes with the chair," he said. "Like I said in the past, I know I'm damn good at what I do."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_schottenheimer_defends_goal_Bc5pKFEAU2MZxGmOOFGI9L#ixzz1O8Pe3kRJ

Schottenheimer also said he was able to handle the fans.

"[it] comes with the chair," he said. "Like I said in the past, I know I'm damn good at what I do."

This is why I would like to punch the man in the face. If he was so good at what he does, they wouldn't have brought in Tom Moore to work specifically on red zone scoring. I swear, when this man eventually gets fired, I'm going to do a backflip in celebration.

It's the AFC title game and you've got four tries to get it into the endzone from the two yard line. You have one of the best lines in the league and a bruiser of a running back who happens to be on relatively fresh legs (Green). RUN THE FREAKIN' BALL!

There is a time when you have to try to stop outsmarting the other team, recognizing the situation you are in, show some goddamn balls and PLOW forward for two yards.

run

pass

pass

run

can't really get too upset with that. at the end of the day, the players have to make a play.

yep. They had four shots didn't get it done. I also would have run Greene 4 times, but still it was run twice, and they couldn't get two yards. Somebody got to make a play there

Bold sentence is face-punch worthy.

The fact he waving the banner statement of his own apologists disgusts me.

Aaaaaaand that's why you need to be fired.

Yes. But unlike some of the more "enlightened minds" here who believe that our shaman of scoring is at the top of every list for HC positions, I believe we are stuck with this self absorbed, pole slapper until Rex gets the stones to dispatch him. The train for those waiting for him to fk up has left the station long ago.

if memory serves they got a safety after the gl 4 and out... and got the ball right back

that sequence didn't kill them

i'd like to hear Schotty defend his play call of 3rd and 17 in the 1st half. that hurt em way worse.

Yes. But unlike some of the more "enlightened minds" here who believe that our shaman of scoring is at the top of every list for HC positions, I believe we are stuck with this self absorbed, pole slapper until Rex gets the stones to dispatch him. The train for those waiting for him to fk up has left the station long ago.

Oh please. Gato is just being contrary and I certainly don't think he is any great coach. I just feel that he gets slammed way too much. I wouldn't even care much if they fired him. I just feel that it would be meet the new boss, the same as the old boss. The team is forced to be a run first team because they want to win with defense and that requires control of the clock. Rex isn't going to replace him with Mike Martz and if he did it would probably be a disaster. As Sanchez matures things will get better.

if memory serves they got a safety after the gl 4 and out... and got the ball right back

that sequence didn't kill them

i'd like to hear Schotty defend his play call of 3rd and 17 in the 1st half. that hurt em way worse.

In terms of outcome of the game, you are right, it didn't have the kind of impact a lot of people tried to make it out to be considering the next play was a safety and the next drive a TD drive. That said, what happened afterward doesn't excuse the dogsh*t job Schotty did on those plays. But as you pointed out, that wasn't even the worst of it. It's not just the 3rd and 17, but absolutely everything in the first half. As much as we all tried to hold out hope that it wasn't true, that game was over at 24-3.

How about RUN WIDE? 2 low percenta ge passes and 2 runs at the teeth of the Pitt DL and 400 Lb Casey Hampton, who we did very little against all game. What a complete arrogant a$$hole.

Not sure I agree with you. Our best offensive players could be Brandon Moore and Nick Mangold. If I'm the coordinator of the jets, i'd like to win or lose the game on the backs of my best players.

I realize Casey Hampton occupies the middle but i really believe in going with your best players in the most impactful times.

On the other hand, two pass plays aren't necessary on the two. Stats would show that you are bound to get a few yards by merely running the ball four times. As schotty pointed out in the New England game, it doesn't always work.

The play to Keller was stupid, no reason to look to him when we need a score most.

Oh please. Gato is just being contrary and I certainly don't think he is any great coach. I just feel that he gets slammed way too much. I wouldn't even care much if they fired him. I just feel that it would be meet the new boss, the same as the old boss. The team is forced to be a run first team because they want to win with defense and that requires control of the clock. Rex isn't going to replace him with Mike Martz and if he did it would probably be a disaster. As Sanchez matures things will get better.

Eggzacktly. Offenses work because occasionally a QB works out.

Not sure I agree with you. Our best offensive players could be Brandon Moore and Nick Mangold. If I'm the coordinator of the jets, i'd like to win or lose the game on the backs of my best players.

I realize Casey Hampton occupies the middle but i really believe in going with your best players in the most impactful times.

On the other hand, two pass plays aren't necessary on the two. Stats would show that you are bound to get a few yards by merely running the ball four times. As schotty pointed out in the New England game, it doesn't always work.

The play to Keller was stupid, no reason to look to him when we need a score most.

That is the proof that the Schotty haters are just blind haters.

Hater #1: "Schotty is a moron! We should have run up the gut 4 times! We are a running team! Impose our will! **** them! We'd have scored every time!"

Hater #2: "Exactly! Schotty is a moron! Casey Hampton is a beast! We can't run up the middle! On the Steelers! Fire Schotty!"

Hater #1: "Exactly! Fire Schotty!"

Lol who is this guy? He's always hating on me. It makes me sad.

NJ? He's good people. Like a great many of us, he is just old and bitter. I think he can play the drums. That makes him better than most of us in my eyes.

That is the proof that the Schotty haters are just blind haters.

Some are, yes. However, that doesn't suddenly make Schotty any better at his job or invalidate any of the very many legitimate criticisms that exist of his coaching abilities (or lack thereof). As far as I'm concerned it's not about analyzing and criticizing a single small set of playcalls, as that can be done for any coach in the league. It's about analyzing the big picture over the course of many seasons and if you ask me, in Schotty's case, it's not pretty.

Some are, yes. However, that doesn't suddenly make Schotty any better at his job or invalidate any of the very many legitimate criticisms that exist of his coaching abilities (or lack thereof). As far as I'm concerned it's not about analyzing and criticizing a single small set of playcalls, as that can be done for any coach in the league. It's about analyzing the big picture over the course of many seasons and if you ask me, in Schotty's case, it's not pretty.

It's been a defensive team since he got here. I don't expect any offensive coordinator to have a pretty "big picture". I also think a pretty big picture for an OC may be counter productive for overall wins.

It's been a defensive team since he got here. I don't expect any offensive coordinator to have a pretty "big picture". I also think a pretty big picture for an OC may be counter productive for overall wins.

I'm not talking about 5,000 yard / 50 TD seasons out of QBs or any other pretty stats. All I'm talking about in the big picture is a consistent, even if unspectacular, offensive performance. It doesn't matter if this is a defensive team, that doesn't excuse the offense from doing their part. Do you really think it's acceptable that of the Jets 6 losses last season, they scored UNDER TEN points FOUR times? The only loss that didn't include an absolutely pathetic offensive performance was the Bears game. Of course the players (Sanchez included) deserve more than their fair share of the blame for that, but again, this is an issue that has plagued Schotty's offenses no matter who the players are on offense. It's not acceptable for this offense to continually set records of ineptitude for things like a complete inability to score first quarter TDs.

I really don't buy that Schotty is as bad people say. He hasn't exactly proven himself either but if you're going to knock him for one set of downs in the playoffs then how about the fade pass to Santonio against New England, or the play action scramble touchdown against Pittsburgh in the regular season

I'm not talking about 5,000 yard / 50 TD seasons out of QBs or any other pretty stats. All I'm talking about in the big picture is a consistent, even if unspectacular, offensive performance. It doesn't matter if this is a defensive team, that doesn't excuse the offense from doing their part. Do you really think it's acceptable that of the Jets 6 losses last season, they scored UNDER TEN points FOUR times? The only loss that didn't include an absolutely pathetic offensive performance was the Bears game. Of course the players (Sanchez included) deserve more than their fair share of the blame for that, but again, this is an issue that has plagued Schotty's offenses no matter who the players are on offense. It's not acceptable for this offense to continually set records of ineptitude for things like a complete inability to score first quarter TDs.

Preaching to the choir. I'm the one that stood up for the defense even during the debacle in the 1st half of the AFC title game. OTOH, I watched Sanchez unable to hit the broad side of a barn in those games and I don't blame Schotty for that. Additionally, as I said, I put that on the fact that this is a defensive team. The ONLY game they were not competitive in was the 2nd Pats game. That was the only time that it made (total) sense to open it up despite the fact that the offense wasn't scoring.

They lived with Pennington, Ramsey and Clemens at QB. We know how those guys are. They were scoring at a 30 ppg clip before that old bastard got hurt. Now that they have some real offensive talent they have an inexperienced QB. There are enough reasons to cut the guy slack. If Rex is happy with him, I'm happy with him. If Rex is fed up and wants a change it's fine with me. It's tough to place the blame from the outside looking in. One thing I will say from that interview is that I am glad he didn't throw Hunter under the bus and blame the 2 point stance for the failure to score.

I really don't buy that Schotty is as bad people say. He hasn't exactly proven himself either but if you're going to knock him for one set of downs in the playoffs then how about the fade pass to Santonio against New England, or the play action scramble touchdown against Pittsburgh in the regular season

+1 the team went from 20th on offense 2 years ago to around 10th... improvement is a good sign

I like how he actually thought he could fool them with run up gut on 1st down. Look if you're going to do it, don't waste time trying to fool them. Seriously how did he think that would fool somebody. Then on 2nd down, when 1st down failed with run up gut, why would a play action pass fool them? All you're doing is wasting time and making it even easier to shut you down. If your logical reasoning was that you'd fool them on 1st down with something, and then that failed even though you thought they'd be fooled, why would you then try to expect them to overcompensate to stop what you thought was going to fool them the first time the next time by doing the opposite to fool them? They already showed even if they are fooled, like you thought they'd be, they still don't have to worry about it, so they can concentrate on the other thing...that you are going to fool them into.

I mean it's so simplistic. He honestly thinks he is fooling people on every single play and then that carries over into fooling them the other play. In his thinking, 1st down we fool them by running when we're passing. Second down we fooled them 1st down by running when they thought pass, so obviously now they'll think run, so I'll fool them with play action pass!

This same moron did run run pass until the end of the 1st half in that game. Then down 17-0, with losses/nothing on the 1st two downs, backed up near the goal line he thinks....play action pass will fool them! It was so obvious, the pass rushers didn't respect the run threat at all there, and while the line was busy trying to sell the run, defenders blow by and Sanchez gets crushed.

This is how you're supposed to do it: you execute what you want without trickery and show the other team they can't stop you. Other team plays to stop that because they know they can't stop it otherwise. You then do something else. The best teams alternate several things that opponents can't stop, and the trickery is merely in the things attack different areas so that if you compensate one way, you are weak the other way. These things are also done in such a way that generally the risk-reward ratio is slanted to favor the reward side for the offense executing it. Not to barely pick up a 1st down or something, these are designed home run plays when there's trickery. Otherwise regularly it's just execution.

Ah well whatever there won't be football anyway.

Archived