Movies We've Seen Thread

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

Gary?  Nerdrotic?  Not on a fist name basis.  😁

I do watch the Critical Drinker, but the movie guy I follow is Jeremy Jahns.  For the most part, if he likes a TV/movie show I tend to enjoy it as well.

I like JJ, he stays, uh.... very "neutral". 😆  Yeah, Gary "Nerdrotic" Buechler used to just talk regular pop culture and stuff with ZERO interest in more "controversial" topics. Same as most of that crowd. Then they became the "Fandom Menace". Next thing you know, they're on the mainstream radar and getting interviewed by Piers Morgan. Surreal. Jeremy from GG has always been a nut, though. And I still can't believe Jay "Drunk3PO" hung out with Gina.... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

This 56yo has not seen it.  

DIsney's latest turd, Acolyte cost 180 million to make.  By comparison, Dune Part II cost 190 million.

A TV/movie reviewer I watch on YT commented he does not see where they spent the money.  

Okay.  Your assignment is to watch it and report back whether you are Team @Nolder

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

Casablanca is a classic and generally universally acclaimed as a top 10 movie of all time. 

Yeah it’s a good movie. I think top 10 is kind of my point. Its status is inflated.

8 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

Comparing it to a Transformers movie is like comparing Mahomes to a junior high QB. You obviously don’t get it and obviously are negative on it. 

I didn’t compare it to transformers. All I can say is I like the movie just fine.

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

Yeah it’s a good movie. I think top 10 is kind of my point. Its status is inflated.

I didn’t compare it to transformers. All I can say is I like the movie just fine.

It’s not inflated, you just don’t agree with its, again, universally acclaimed status as one of the greatest of all time.

11 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

It’s not inflated, you just don’t agree with its, again, universally acclaimed status as one of the greatest of all time.

Think you’re changing the goalposts there just slightly but whatever. I’ve said what I think about the movie and its status and I don’t really have anything more to add. If people get enjoyment from watching it that’s great that’s what it’s there for. Can’t ask for more than that from any movie new or old.

On 7/15/2024 at 1:03 AM, Nolder said:

Watched Latency and Last Stop In Yuma County.

Yuma was pretty good. Might not be for everyone but I enjoyed it.

The Last Stop in Yuma County was like a cross between a Tarantino movie and a Cohen Brothers movie except it wasn't very good at imitating either.

The characters are beyond dumb and make some of the most ridiculous choices a person with half a brain would never make. And then you have to account for the number of coincidences that are needed to push the plot forward. This could have been a decent movie but it really wasn't. Gene Jones, after being in a No Country for Old Men, must have been thinking, "Well, at least they tried."

Maybe worth a rental on a rainy day but be prepared to walk away with a "meh" vibe.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bicketybam said:

The Last Stop in Yuma County was like a cross between a Tarantino movie and a Cohen Brothers movie except it wasn't very good at imitating either.

The characters are beyond dumb and make some of the most ridiculous choices a person with half a brain would never make. And then you have to account for the number of coincidences that are needed to push the plot forward. This could have been a decent movie but it really wasn't. Gene Jones, after being in a No Country for Old Men, must have been thinking, "Well, at least they tried."

Maybe worth a rental on a rainy day but be prepared to walk away with a "meh" vibe.

I still haven’t seen No Country For Old Men lol. It’s been on my list of movies I should watch for awhile but I always put it off.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Nolder said:

I still haven’t seen No Country For Old Men lol. It’s been on my list of movies I should watch for awhile but I always put it off.

It's a 1000 times better than Yuma.

• Post of the Week 1

RDJ is Dr Doom.

Dr Doom doesn't do sarcasm and snarky humor.  

I would've paid Daniel Day Lewis 100 million dollars to lower himself to do a comic book franchise.  Doom has destroyed worlds because of the slightest insult and needed to be a true psychotic genius. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

RDJ is Dr Doom.

I would've paid Daniel Day Lewis 100 million dollars to lower himself to do a comic book franchise.  Doom has destroyed worlds because of the slightest insult and needed to be a true psychotic genius. 

I thought RDJ was a horrible choice as Ironman. One of the few comics I followed way back when.  He crushed it.

If he is a variant of Tony Stark that becomes Doom.  That might be interesting.  Idk if that was covered at the reveal.

From my novice comic knowledge, Doom's origin is way different.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I thought RDJ was a horrible choice as Ironman. One of the few comics I followed way back when.  He crushed it.

If he is a variant of Tony Stark that becomes Doom.  That might be interesting.  Idk if that was covered at the reveal.

From my novice comic knowledge, Doom's origin is way different.

Doom is everything.  He's way more intelligent than Stark, has a more advanced armor, has as much magic as Strange, can time travel, conquerors gods, worlds, dimensions, immortals, and was born a gypsy.

He was in school with Reed Richards when his dark magic experiments blow up and mangled his face. He blames Richards for the accident because he's too arrogant to even consider it was his own fault.  The guy hasn't cracked a joke in 65 years and finds insult with every word spoken to him.  

He's the exact opposite of MCU's Stark. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

That’s fair.  
Although I haven’t bought a comic book since 8th grade. 

I was in my 20s when I went through a comic phase again.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I was in my 20s when I went through a comic phase again.

I have purchased exactly 2 comic books in my life, GI Joe issue 1 (The big one with the diagram of their base) and a random Sergeant Rock issue for a road trip when I was about 12. Started reading the Bond books in 6th grade or so - oddly enough it wasn't even a Flemming novel, it was "Icebreaker" but John Gardner. And then found Steven King, Tom Clancy, etc.

• WTF? 1

17 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I have purchased exactly 2 comic books in my life, GI Joe issue 1 (The big one with the diagram of their base) and a random Sergeant Rock issue for a road trip when I was about 12. Started reading the Bond books in 6th grade or so - oddly enough it wasn't even a Flemming novel, it was "Icebreaker" but John Gardner. And then found Steven King, Tom Clancy, etc.

I might have some tattered Sergeant Rock's somewhere in my house.  There were a few other military themed ones I bought as a kid.  Not GI Joe though.  🤣

One of my Army buddies was a comic fan.  We would go downtown Monterrey to a comic store.  I started reading all the well-known Marvel and DC comics (Batman, Superman, X Men (variants of), Thor and Ironman).  Then I PCS'd to Germany and the flow of comics was far smaller.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2024 at 7:58 PM, Nolder said:

I always liked you as a poster, but this is the 2nd time in the movie thread I thought "What is wrong with this guy?" and it ended up being you!

Watch it.  I mean, it's not Casablanca or anything, but you'll probably enjoy it.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I always liked you as a poster, but this is the 2nd time in the movie thread I thought "What is wrong with this guy?" and it ended up being you!

Watch it.  I mean, it's not Casablanca or anything, but you'll probably enjoy it.

I will definitely watch it eventually. Probably soon actually, it’s been on my mind lately.

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2024 at 8:13 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

RDJ is Dr Doom.

Odd move.  From what I recall Iron Man faked his death in the comics which is how Rhodes became War Machine(Rhodes was iron man for a while because he thought stark was dead when he was really in a stasis chamber because he had radiation sickness).  I don’t recall Stark becoming Dr Doom

On 7/28/2024 at 4:05 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Doom is everything.  He's way more intelligent than Stark, has a more advanced armor, has as much magic as Strange, can time travel, conquerors gods, worlds, dimensions, immortals, and was born a gypsy.

He was in school with Reed Richards when his dark magic experiments blow up and mangled his face. He blames Richards for the accident because he's too arrogant to even consider it was his own fault.  The guy hasn't cracked a joke in 65 years and finds insult with every word spoken to him.  

For giggles I checked out a YT channel I follow (Comics Explained). 

The guy gave his two cents about the announcement.  Then he had a second video on where he would like it to go.  One, a What If where Doom tricks (e.g. a machine that switches his personality to the body of Stark and vice versa) Tony and Doom assumes the mantle of Tony Stark.  Then there is a second that should up in a story called Infamous Iron Man.

On 7/28/2024 at 4:05 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Yeah, it's a bad fit.

You want someone serious, condescending.   Jason Issacs would have been a great choice.  Hugo Weaving.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Yeah, it's a bad fit.

You want someone serious, condescending.   Jason Issacs would have been a great choice.  Hugo Weaving.

Hugo Weaving is not coming back after playing Red Skull. He hated the Marvel experience. 

I don't love RDJ as Doom. He's one of my favorite actors, but its going to be impossible for me not to think of Iron Man whenever I see his face. The only way this works IMO is if he wears the mask most of the time and his face is disfigured when he takes the mask off. I don't want Tony Doom, I want Victor Von Doom. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/30/2024 at 2:30 PM, PFSIKH said:

For giggles I checked out a YT channel I follow (Comics Explained). 

The guy gave his two cents about the announcement.  Then he had a second video on where he would like it to go.  One, a What If where Doom tricks (e.g. a machine that switches his personality to the body of Stark and vice versa) Tony and Doom assumes the mantle of Tony Stark.  Then there is a second that should up in a story called Infamous Iron Man.

I saw that What If explanation.  

I guess that’s how they can crowbar RDJ back into the MCU, but the cost is butchering their greatest villain. 

I’d rather he just played Doom straight up even if it caused confusion.  He’s an awesome enough bad to carry multiple “phases”

11 hours ago, maury77 said:

Hugo Weaving is not coming back after playing Red Skull. He hated the Marvel experience. 

I don't love RDJ as Doom. He's one of my favorite actors, but its going to be impossible for me not to think of Iron Man whenever I see his face. The only way this works IMO is if he wears the mask most of the time and his face is disfigured when he takes the mask off. I don't want Tony Doom, I want Victor Von Doom. 

It’s a desperate move and I’m not a fan.  

Id rather they bring him back as a variant Stark.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I saw that What If explanation.  

I guess that’s how they can crowbar RDJ back into the MCU, but the cost is butchering their greatest villain. 

I’d rather he just played Doom straight up even if it caused confusion.  He’s an awesome enough bad to carry multiple “phases”

I watched another video and the guy went through his different scenarios on it.

One, he thought you could have RDJ as Doom and then have the actual Doctor Doom.  He thought in Avengers when Stark said, he wanted a suit of armor around the world and was cool with the Sachovia accords.  What if that Tony Stark's universe he devolved into a Doom persona instead of what happened through End Game.  Whether apart of this universe or another, you could have the Fantastic 4 and Doom.

• Upvote 1

I will definitely watch it eventually. Probably soon actually, it’s been on my mind lately.
Watch it without distractions and on a good system if you have access ... It is a special movie and a visceral experience.. really enjoyable.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I am a massive buff .. and a fan of Casablanca ... I'd put it in the low teens early twenties ... It was special for the time it was made with the tensions in the world (2 years before d-day) .. love bogart ... And the rest of the cast .. script was tight and directing on point ... But I don't hold it in the top ten. I guess I'm on the 'dont agree' wagon.

59 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I am a massive buff .. and a fan of Casablanca ... I'd put it in the low teens early twenties ... It was special for the time it was made with the tensions in the world (2 years before d-day) .. love bogart ... And the rest of the cast .. script was tight and directing on point ... But I don't hold it in the top ten. I guess I'm on the 'dont agree' wagon.

This I understand, top 25 is very reasonable……

On 7/27/2024 at 5:29 PM, PFSIKH said:

I throughly enjoyed Deadpool & Wolverine.  I will need to see again to catch all the references.

Enjoyed it, too. Some very cool action and comedy per usual. But (spoilers)...

One of the likable things about the MCU has been their attention to detail in tying together all of the stories. But now, it seems Disney just doesn't care. Good way to get the audience to stop caring, too.

Examples from this one: (1) How could the "Old Man Logan" events occurred in Deadpool's universe/timeline? In that one, we saw elderly Patrick Stewart. Deadpool had interacted earlier in a film with James McAvoy's young version of Prof X (2) Dr Strange's sling ring can open portals to other universes, but they couldn't in Multiverse of Madness? 

43 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Enjoyed it, too. Some very cool action and comedy per usual. But (spoilers)...

One of the likable things about the MCU has been their attention to detail in tying together all of the stories. But now, it seems Disney just doesn't care. Good way to get the audience to stop caring, too.

Examples from this one: (1) How could the "Old Man Logan" events occurred in Deadpool's universe/timeline? In that one, we saw elderly Patrick Stewart. Deadpool had interacted earlier in a film with James McAvoy's young version of Prof X (2) Dr Strange's sling ring can open portals to other universes, but they couldn't in Multiverse of Madness? 

Always Sunny Fx GIF

Its like this......

I have watched a couple of theories. One, I cannot really get behind, each franchise (e.g. XMen and Marvel), as in the movies, exist in their own universe.  Deadpool is a part of that universe.  Marvels, or 616, exist in a different universe.  That is what allows all that 4th wall $hit.

Another one, was not that kookie, follows that path, but for reasons the two separate universes exist and are set to collide.  In their separate universes the other entity does not exist for a reason.  Of course, the guy caveated that there are gaping plot holes like you point out.

Aggregating all this together, I wonder if that second movie draws a nice bow around the past 20+ years of Marvel and 30 years of X-Men characters (RDJ, Chris Evans, Reynolds, Hue, etc.) arcs.  Beyond that will be a new set of actors.

• 2 weeks later...

One word to sum up Civil War.  No not the Marvel's Civil War, but the Civil War that came out in April.

Terrible.

When I watched the trailer, I assumed it would lean heavy one way.  I was surprised, it did an okay job of keeping it fairly down the middleish.  I am sure any resemblance between Trump and Nick Offerman's character are a coincidence.

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+   

It is largely mindless slog for just under two hours.  There is no back story to why there is a Civil War.  Why TX, Fla and CA are in an alliance.  Why the Midwest were loyalists.  Nick Offerman and Jesse Plimpton have cameos.  Characters make a litany of bad decisions.  

I think it could have been an interesting concept.  Probably would be a better series than a 110-minute movie.  The acting was okay to good.  

• Upvote 3