Soccer is dead to me

T0mShane

1. The USA wants a champ every year for its major sports. F this 4 year BS.

This is not a very good point. Yes, the World Cup happens every 4 years, which is what makes it such a special event, much like the Olympics.

However, there are leagues worldwide that have champions every year, such as the MLS in the US, The English Premiership, the Bundesliga in Germany, the Spanish Primera, etc.

Plus there is the UEFA Champions League which has all of the best club teams in Europe in a tournament every year to provide further interest.

Seeing championships decided on essentially a glorified 3 point shooting contest just doesnt seem right.

If they can't settle the matter after 90 minutes, added time, 30 minutes of overtime and more added time, a penalty shootout is a worthy result. Continuing to play on will result in a goal allowed due to fatigue rather than skill.

The US had two different leads in this match and blew them both. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

If they can't settle the matter after 90 minutes, added time, 30 minutes of overtime and more added time, a penalty shootout is a worthy result. Continuing to play on will result in a goal allowed due to fatigue rather than skill.

The US had two different leads in this match and blew them both. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

I really don't care the US lost...but if fatigue is an issue, allow subs. What's essentially a carnival contest to decide a champion is pretty weak.

I really don't care the US lost...but if fatigue is an issue, allow subs. What's essentially a carnival contest to decide a champion is pretty weak.

I respectfully disagree. The plywood board they use at my kids carnival has much smaller holes. Way harder than kicking it into a giant goal with the person who already missed the dress memo defending.

They already allow subs, 3 per game. I could go for maybe allowing 1 more 15 minute golden goal period with 1 additional sub. But penalty shootout is still the better solution. There's no reason to bemoan PK's. If you can't decide a game in 120+ minutes then the PK's result is deserving.

This is not a very good point. Yes, the World Cup happens every 4 years, which is what makes it such a special event, much like the Olympics.

However, there are leagues worldwide that have champions every year, such as the MLS in the US, The English Premiership, the Bundesliga in Germany, the Spanish Primera, etc.

Plus there is the UEFA Champions League which has all of the best club teams in Europe in a tournament every year to provide further interest.

Its an excellent point.

Sports fans in this country want to see a yearly Champion crowned for every major sport. Thats the way it is. Bowling has a Champ.

Its an excellent point.

Sports fans in this country want to see a yearly Champion crowned for every major sport. Thats the way it is. Bowling has a Champ.

They should give out swords in sudden overtime. Really ramp that bitch up. And maybe a German Shepherd or two. I'd watch.

Its an excellent point.

No its not. As I CLEARLY explained before, soccer DOES crown a champion every year. The World Cup is more like the Olympics than anything else. Its held every four years and is an international event. In between those 4 years soccer players compete every year for championships in their respective leagues.

What doesn't make sense about this? If you want to see an American team compete for a title every year like other major sports, watch the MLS. Its American soccer's equivalent to MLB, NFL, etc.

No its not. As I CLEARLY explained before, soccer DOES crown a champion every year. The World Cup is more like the Olympics than anything else. Its held every four years and is an international event. In between those 4 years soccer players compete every year for championships in their respective leagues.

What doesn't make sense about this? If you want to see an American team compete for a title every year like other major sports, watch the MLS. Its American soccer's equivalent to MLB, NFL, etc.

That the Super Bowl of soccer is played every 4 years.

That the Super Bowl of soccer is played every 4 years.

Its not the Super Bowl of soccer. English Premiership games are treated with 10 times as much ferocity by the fans as the World Cup. Its an international event. When football gets played on the global stage and holds a tournament, THEN its a justifiable comparison. Until then, you're a moron.

Its not the Super Bowl of soccer. English Premiership games are treated with 10 times as much ferocity by the fans as the World Cup. Its an international event. When football gets played on the global stage and holds a tournament, THEN its a justifiable comparison. Until then, you're a moron.

this is not quite true. Some premiership games are huge. Others are Bolton vs Fulham or Wolves vs Birmingham and no one gives an eff. it's a very long season as well. The world cup when all these stars get together to play for country instead of club, and it's single elimination, is way more awesome than a middle table battle that could end up nil-nil. Champions league, especially the finals is comparable to world cup. but rooting interests are way clearer. A whole country will root for England vs France, but a Manchester City fan isn't rooting for United to beat Barca.

Soccer isn't dead to me, but prancing Europeans in thick socks ARE dead to me.

I thought we determined long ago that soccer is for wusses.

My biggest fear is one of my sons telling he's gay. I can deal with him being gay, but the whole time I'd be worried he was going to ask to play soccer.

You keep bringing up the fans and leagues in Europe and the UK. Everybody already knows that soccer is big over there. Its not big here for the tenth time and very few people care about whats going on over there or want to engage in a 4 year debate as to who the best team is. When Beckam came to LA is was a joke.

BTW, Idiot, although the NBA, NHL, NFL do not play teams from across the world, players from around world come here to play in those leagues because it is the best competition in the world. Thats why they put "World Champs" on their respective trophies and rings.

You keep bringing up the fans and leagues in Europe and the UK. Everybody already knows that soccer is big over there. Its not big here for the tenth time and very few people care about whats going on over there or want to engage in a 4 year debate as to who the best team is. When Beckam came to LA is was a joke.

BTW, Idiot, although the NBA, NHL, NFL do not play teams from across the world, players from around world come here to play in those leagues because it is the best competition in the world. Thats why they put "World Champs" on their respective trophies and rings.

This is not your original point. Before you were arguing that the World Cup should be held every year because otherwise there's no other option for a championship in the other 3 years. Now you're arguing now that the MLS isn't as popular in America as other major sports so it won't draw American interest. Well, duh! The great thing about our country is all the options we have.

Not to mention, the MLS is a very young league but its already getting better and better. It was NOT a joke when Beckham came to the Galaxy and Thierry Henry came to the NY Red Bulls. At least it showed the sport was advancing; a decade ago former stars over the hill would never have considered joining the league. Its still way behind the rest of the world but scoffing at the fanfare around the Beckham signing just because it didn't really pan out is pure ignorance.

Sure, most casual observers only care about soccer for one month every 4 years. So what? That's what makes the event so special. If you don't care about soccer for the other 3 years and 11 months, you have zero credibility to suggest how it should be or that no one else cares. To soccer fans, there are games year round at many different levels of the sport to enjoy.

This is not your original point. Before you were arguing that the World Cup should be held every year because otherwise there's no other option for a championship in the other 3 years. Now you're arguing now that the MLS isn't as popular in America as other major sports so it won't draw American interest. Well, duh! The great thing about our country is all the options we have.

Not to mention, the MLS is a very young league but its already getting better and better. It was NOT a joke when Beckham came to the Galaxy and Thierry Henry came to the NY Red Bulls. At least it showed the sport was advancing; a decade ago former stars over the hill would never have considered joining the league. Its still way behind the rest of the world but scoffing at the fanfare around the Beckham signing just because it didn't really pan out is pure ignorance.

Sure, most casual observers only care about soccer for one month every 4 years. So what? That's what makes the event so special. If you don't care about soccer for the other 3 years and 11 months, you have zero credibility to suggest how it should be or that no one else cares. To soccer fans, there are games year round at many different levels of the sport to enjoy.

TL;DR

Archived