OK, If You're Santonio Holmes...

SoFlaJets

and you have a choice to take a ton of Daniel Snyder's money but with that deal you will have John Beck attempting to get you the ball or do you stay with a clutch PLAYOFF PROVEN QB like Mark Sanchez at the helm....what would you do?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and you have a choice to take a ton of Daniel Snyder's money but with that deal you will have John Beck attempting to get you the ball or do you stay with a clutch PLAYOFF PROVEN QB like Mark Sanchez at the helm....what would you do?

I think there is a better chance he wants to stay because he likes playing for Rex as opposed to playing with Sanchez...

You take the money.

You cannot spend playoff appearances after you retire.

Dollars, on the other hand, are real before, during and after one's playing years.

I'd be very suprised if Holmes doesn't take the largest deal he is offered, regardless of where that deal would take him.

The idea of a hometown discount is cute and quaint, but more fan-fantasy and after-the-fact PR-spin than reality IMO.

You take the money.

You cannot spend playoff appearances after you retire.

Dollars, on the other hand, are real before, during and after one's playing years.

I'd be very suprised if Holmes doesn't take the largest deal he is offered, regardless of where that deal would take him.

The idea of a hometown discount is cute and quaint, but more fan-fantasy and after-the-fact PR-spin than reality IMO.

yea but John Beck and Washington who ain't even sniffing the playoffs?

A. We have no idea if Beck is the #1, odds say he isn't. Grossman most likely will be, barring other moves.

B. Shanny is a good coach, as respected as Rex, and unlike Rex, he has Rings.

C. You (and all fans IMO) vastly over-value titles vs. money when players decide where to go.

D. Redskins may throw money at Holmes, but so could some of the WAY-under-cap teams, some of whom have decent QB talent.

E. Ego. A great WR may think he is the answer QB-X needs to be good. Just like Coaches, some WR's think they can make any QB look good.

We'll see. If he signs in NY for less than reported offers from other teams, then you were right. If not...

A. We have no idea if Beck is the #1, odds say he isn't. Grossman most likely will be, barring other moves.

C. You (and all fans IMO) vastly over-value titles vs. money when players decide where to go.

D. Redskins may throw money at Holmes, but so could some of the WAY-under-cap teams, some of whom have decent QB talent.

E. Ego. A great WR may think he is the answer QB-X needs to be good. Just like Coaches, some WR's think they can make any QB look good.

We'll see. If he signs in NY for less than reported offers from other teams, then you were right. If not...

Like Rex Grossman is a big upgrade-the Jets will be in the ballpark with an offer

you don't think Sanchez is either I take it?

For what it's worth, I do.

First two years in the league, 2 AFC Championship Games.

His level of play has increased each year, and he's played very well in the playoffs.

And, oh by the way, he's only 24 years old.

Pretty clear to me.

Shanny is well known to be a brutal dicatator to his players. He's not the type of coach that is going to get along well with Holmes IMO. While WAS may throw lots of money at him now, unless it's a legitimate long term contract (meaning not on that they obviously backload with unguaranteed money and will cut him after 3 years) I just don't think it's a great idea for Holmes. With an uncertain QB situation there, his stats are not going to shine that great and he could end up being cut and looking at 2nd tier contracts due to a lack of "production". While I agree that Sanchez has struggled, he has improved each year and gives every indication he will continue to do so, meaning Holmes is probably going to have better production and value in the long term if he stays here. Just my 2 cents.

Shanny is well known to be a brutal dicatator to his players. He's not the type of coach that is going to get along well with Holmes IMO. While WAS may throw lots of money at him now, unless it's a legitimate long term contract (meaning not on that they obviously backload with unguaranteed money and will cut him after 3 years) I just don't think it's a great idea for Holmes. With an uncertain QB situation there, his stats are not going to shine that great and he could end up being cut and looking at 2nd tier contracts due to a lack of "production". While I agree that Sanchez has struggled, he has improved each year and gives every indication he will continue to do so, meaning Holmes is probably going to have better production and value in the long term if he stays here. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. Holmes would have been a 1,000 yard receiver had he not been suspended for the first 4 games last year.

Sanchez has gotten better each year.

Stay here.

But money is money, and he'll probably bolt in the end if the Jets can't give him what he wants.

Agreed. Holmes would have been a 1,000 yard receiver had he not been suspended for the first 4 games last year.

Sanchez has gotten better each year.

Stay here.

But money is money, and he'll probably bolt in the end if the Jets can't give him what he wants.

In Tanny We Trust-plus Sanchez will re-structure to make room for both Holmes and Edwards

Like Rex Grossman is a big upgrade-the Jets will be in the ballpark with an offer

Skins QB play has been pretty horribad for years, yet Moss had no trouble racking up stats year after year (and I'm no fan of Moss as a talent).

Rex Grossman is tolerable, and can throw plenty of yards to a Holmes, especially if they add more than one WR thiss offseason. Shanny will have a better O-line and Running game, that I'd bet on, the O won;t be all-league, but it'll be productive and competative.

AAnd yes, I agree, "genius" is all about talent. Coaches, even the best, take great talent and make it greater. But you have to have the talent there first.

Don't rule out a suprise "Wow, that QB went to Washington?" move either. Kyle Orton, Hasselback, etc. Kyle Orton especially I could see getting snagged by the Skins, and he is MUCH better than Rex or Beck. He is statisticly superior (in many ways) to Sanchez.

I'm still betting highest deal with the most guaranteed money wins Holmes to sign, but I am a cynic.

What's to stop Tampa Bay - who has a pretty decent, up and coming QB too - from throwing a lot of money Holmes' way. They HAVE to spend 59 million dollars. Homefield is in Tampa. Lets' see.....more money, better weather in November, December, January. Seems clear cut to me. I know where I would go if I were a sought-after FA. Shoot, I'd have my agent calling 'em now.

If Holmes had never won in his career, maybe he looks for a winner over money. But he already has a Super Bowl MVP trophy in his case. Been there, done that.

He goes to the highest bidder.

Guest Jpf4671

If Holmes had never won in his career, maybe he looks for a winner over money. But he already has a Super Bowl MVP trophy in his case. Been there, done that.

I agree,..I think he's gone,.that's why Fatsessa has proclaimed all of the sudden that Holmes is irreplaceable and the Jets MUST MUST MUST keep him,..he's already setting himself up to destroy us no matter who we sign.

Does not Rex also have a ring? Granted not as a HC but he's only been one for 2 years. Also, I don't hear anyone saying they want to play for Shanny but you hear that all the time for Rex.

Bruce Allen has said that the Washington Redskins have the ability to be aggressive in free agency and a calculation of their salary cap number shows that this is true.

As of now, they have a salary cap number of approximately $93.3 million. With the salary cap widely expected to be about $120 million, the Redskins will have $27.6 million in salary cap space to work with.

They have the ability to clear out more space if they want to; in fact, it seems likely that they will. Releasing or trading Donovan McNabb ($4.75 million savings) and Albert Haynesworth ($3.4 million) would bring them up to $34.8 million in cap space. More savings are available if the team releases such players as Maake Kemoeatu ($2.5 million).

Not all of the cap room will be available to spend on free agents. Some if it will be needed to sign the 12 players the Redskins drafted in April, some should be set aside to cover any injury needs that may arise during the year and the team almost certainly will look at contract extensions for key players like LaRon Landry and London Fletcher.

A new element in this CBA is the cash salary minimum

I agree,..I think he's gone,.that's why Fatsessa has proclaimed all of the sudden that Holmes is irreplaceable and the Jets MUST MUST MUST keep him,..he's already setting himself up to destroy us no matter who we sign.

The cool thing about this wide open free agency is that the Jets can negotiate with Sidney Rice as well as Holmes as soon as the league says it's ok. I want Holmes back, but there are options.

If I'm Santonio Holmes, I have a joint in one hand, a skank in the other, with my agent on speaker phone saying "let me know where the money is so I can sign my new contract"

Holmes seems money hungry so he would take every dollar he can get I figure.

Question: don't players make extra money for playoff appearances somehow or other? Jets are three times as likely to make the playoffs compared to the Skins.

Still, Skins will give him more cashola.

Holmes seems money hungry so he would take every dollar he can get I figure.

Question: don't players make extra money for playoff appearances somehow or other? Jets are three times as likely to make the playoffs compared to the Skins.

Still, Skins will give him more cashola.

That money was a big deal 30 years ago. Nowadays, only the lower rung guys look at it as some sort of payday.

No way of knowing this to be true.

Winning in Pittsburg is not nearly as epic as winning with the Jets for the first time since SBIII. All depends on how he looks at the whole situation. He might also want a ring to show Pittsburgh they made a mistake making an example out of him, and giving Ben a longer leash.

No way of knowing what goes on between the ears of these guys.

Archived