Holmes has come to terms with Jets

flgreen

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assumed he must have. We didn't hear any reports about other teams talking to Santonio. The talk of Washington all took place before things got started. I have to say, I'm impressed. He wanted to be a Jet and got something done quickly. Surprised and impressed.

With that contract, I'm not sure how much more he could have gotten.

I hope this works out. I can see a SOJ situation with Edwards going to the Pats or Colts and putting up 16TDs.

Old CBA, new CBA, doesn't make a difference--top UFA all get overpaid. No different with Santonio.

Better to overpay to keep him than be frugal and let him walk and we'll all be complaining he's gone.

On the Sanchez restructure deal-Someone help edify me.

I realize all they are doing is moving monies, not changing the structure of the deal. I assume that some of the money is being deferred to later in the contract.

Does anyone know if they incentivize that movement of money at all by giving a percentage of interest added on o the deferred money?

All the deals signed so far are ridiculous - this is a lot of money, but it is what it is. Look how much Quentin Mikell just got paid. Or that OT in Dallas Free. Yikes.

The bottom feeders of the league who have not been paying are going to drive up total new salaries, so they reach the floor.

This should catch up in the future if they accurately project revenue, and the cap will take some big jumps.

Old CBA, new CBA, doesn't make a difference--top UFA all get overpaid. No different with Santonio.

Better to overpay to keep him than be frugal and let him walk and we'll all be complaining he's gone.

I agree. At this point, you have to pay for a top WR - developing them takes too long, and this team is a win now team.

All depends what the base is for 2011.

If the bonus is 25 mill across a 5 year contract, at minimum, the hit is 5m to this years cap. You can be sure the base salaries are back-ended.

I doubt the bonus is 25M. It was 24M in guarantees - that usually means SB + guaranteed salary in future years. I would not be surprised to see a 15M signing bonus and 9M in salary guarantees through year 2, with the remaining 26M spread across the last 3 years of the deal.

I doubt the bonus is 25M. It was 24M in guarantees - that usually means SB + guaranteed salary in future years. I would not be surprised to see a 15M signing bonus and 9M in salary guarantees through year 2, with the remaining 26M spread across the last 3 years of the deal.

Good points. BUT, Mike T and the Jets, historically, don't give up high SBs. None of last year's re-signees got significant SBs. So Holmes could be looking at high guarantees this year and next, but not from a SB.

Good points. BUT, Mike T and the Jets, historically, don't give up high SBs. None of last year's re-signees got significant SBs. So Holmes could be looking at high guarantees this year and next, but not from a SB.

Are the Jets providing a complementary supply of wizzonator? I hope so.

This is great news. MAN it feels good to see good players wanting to be/stay "JETS"!

Even if we dont get Nnamdi, just to be a legit contender for this type ot talent in free agency and it no longer be the f'ing patriots every year is a beautiful thing. I f'ing love Rex, Tanny and Woody. These guys have really turned this franchise into something special.

Interesting that Braylon knew before anyone else. Maybe he got the old "Braylon, we've decided to go in a different direction" call?

My guess is it was more of an update thing. Something like we signed Holmes and are in negotiations with Aso. Let us know how court goes and well see if we can stillw ork something out if you are still available in a few days

Since when? Its a 5/47.5/13, with the possibility of unlocking future guarantees to hit 24 million or so.

Right, so the use of 'thought to be' would seem to be a comment on the likelihood of that happening, no? Do you have another explanation for why Holmes's guarantee would be referred to as possibly but not definitely the highest ever given to a receiver, or was this just a lame gotcha?

Lets hope Braylon Edwards is soon signed we need him. He creates opportunities and is a big tall WR target.

I agree. They need to forget Asa and sign Edwards and Cromartie. It will be much more worth the money. We don't need an elite #1 CB covering number 2 guys. It's not necessary.

Wow...thats some serious cash.

And whats "thought to be" mean?

Im guessing to mean that he doesnt know or is waiting to hear if its a real guarantee of not. Anyway I dont think its the highest guarantee. Fitzgeralds was over 30 million and Johnsons was close to that. Roy Williams may have also been higher.

On the Sanchez restructure deal-Someone help edify me.

I realize all they are doing is moving monies, not changing the structure of the deal. I assume that some of the money is being deferred to later in the contract.

Does anyone know if they incentivize that movement of money at all by giving a percentage of interest added on o the deferred money?

They usually factor in almost no interest at all. They just move the money and guarantee portions of it that were not guaranteed before. Sanchez had super low cash due in 2013 to give a spot to move money to if needed.

Right, so the use of 'thought to be' would seem to be a comment on the likelihood of that happening, no? Do you have another explanation for why Holmes's guarantee would be referred to as possibly but not definitely the highest ever given to a receiver, or was this just a lame gotcha?

He is a hyperbole machine so he probably just wanted to say it even though he knew it was not true. If anyone asks for clarification hell eventually say FA wide receiver since the others were extensions/rookie deals. I havent tuned it, but I have to image he will be next be talking about how "if Holmes makes this...Jackson will want 30+ million" and then close it with a "things are getting very interesting in the newly CBAed NFL with spending. This is shaping up to be the craziest offseason in the history of the National Football League"

I agree. They need to forget Asa and sign Edwards and Cromartie. It will be much more worth the money. We don't need an elite #1 CB covering number 2 guys. It's not necessary.

If they are as elite as they say, don't think of it as a CB covering a WR, think of it as a CB handling a side of the field. Deion Sanders was the best CB I ever saw play because he took an entire side of the field away, didn't matter who you threw it to, if it was on HIS side of the field, he'd probably pick you off.

Hence why QBs wouldn't even test his SIDE. If Revis and Asmomugha both think they're near that level, they both take away a side. Neither guy cares who you move around on offense, at least, that's what it should be.

I do not think either is even 75% of Sanders though. We will see, I hope I'm wrong, we get both, and the average gameplan against us is to dink and dunk in the middle of the field or on checkdowns all game long. We will win most of our games if that happens.

Archived