• Created
  • Last Reply

Haynesworth to Patriots analysis

July, 28, 2011

JUL 28

7:12

AM ET

EmailPrintComments

Albert Haynesworth is headed to the Patriots from the Redskins, Adam Schefter reports. The price: A fifth-round 2013 draft pick. Here's analysis from Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston:

Haynesworth adds another veteran presence to the defensive line, an area the Patriots did not select a player in the 2011 draft.

The Patriots have nose tackle Vince Wilfork returning at nose tackle in their 3-4 defense, and he's the team's best lineman. Nine-year veteran Ty Warren, who missed 2010 with a hip injury, has been the team's long-time starter at left defensive end. The expectation was that he would be back at that spot in 2011, if he returned to full health.

So the big question is at right defensive end in the 3-4, and that's where the 6-foot-6, 335-pound Haynesworth could be utilized by Bill Belichick. The Patriots also run plenty of multiple fronts, featuring a four-man line, and Haynesworth could be part of that mix as well, helping with an interior pass rush (also in sub packages, where the Patriots particularly needed a boost).

Haynesworth was at his best when playing in the 4-3 scheme with the Titans, and seemed to prefer that over the Redskins' 3-4, so it will be interesting to see how he adapts to the way the Patriots utilize him.

This move has a little bit of a Corey Dillon-type and Randy Moss-type feel to it.

With Wilfork, Warren, Haynesworth, Marcus Stroud and six-year veteran Mike Wright, the Patriots have five veteran players complementing some younger options such as Myron Pryor (3rd year), Ron Brace (3rd year) and Brandon Deaderick (2nd year).

Not all figure to make the final roster, so how things shake out will be one of camp's big storylines.

There is a great deal of risk for the Pats in this trade but that is some scary crap if Fat Albert actually shows up to play...

RIsk? This is the right way to do something. They gave up a 5th rd pick in 2013 for a guy who can dominate the line. The upside is incredible. If he doesn't want to play, belly will sit him. This is just like the way we got Santonio last year. All upside. Very little to lose. Let him prove himself. This is bad news for us. belly is very smart unfortunately

Do you think he's in any kind of shape right now? I sincerely doubt he makes the opening day roster.

I hope you're right. That is a possibility, but I still think the upside of this trade is evident. Wilfork and Hanyesworth is scary

michaelombardi Michael Lombardi

This year I expect Haynesworth to have his best year. Nickel rusher inside. Pepper Johnson will get him to play.

That's just retarded.

This is a good move by the Pats.

But am I to suspect that Haynesworth will re-emerge as the best interior DL in the league simply by being traded to New England? Yeah right.

RIsk? This is the right way to do something. They gave up a 5th rd pick in 2013 for a guy who can dominate the line. The upside is incredible. If he doesn't want to play, belly will sit him. This is just like the way we got Santonio last year. All upside. Very little to lose. Let him prove himself. This is bad news for us. belly is very smart unfortunately

A 5th rounder is not all that is at risk. He is a cancer that can blow up on them in a heartbeat.

That's just retarded.

This is a good move by the Pats.

But am I to suspect that Haynesworth will re-emerge as the best interior DL in the league simply by being traded to New England? Yeah right.

Exactly. Any other team makes this more they're idiots, the Pats make it and football writers fall over themselves to blow Belichick. :rolleyes:

Sad but true.

A 5th rounder is not all that is at risk. He is a cancer that can blow up on them in a heartbeat.

I hear ya but it's a different clubhouse. This is not Snyder and shanahan. Bill doesn't seem like he will entertain too much balogna from him.

The good news is Belli is a strict taskmaster. Albert is a fat lazy slob(not that theirs anything wrong with that) who has more money than desire.

I hear ya but it's a different clubhouse. This is not Snyder and shanahan. Bill doesn't seem like he will entertain too much balogna from him.

Right now he's third on the depth chart behind Wilfat and Marcus Stroud.

Haynesworth is an unmotivated slob who hasn't played worth a damn in three years and is on the wrong side of 30. He's a name now, nothing more. If he plays at all it will be in very specific situations. He'll maybe see 20-25% of the snaps.

I really don't believe he'll even make the team.

Exactly. Any other team makes this more they're idiots, the Pats make it and football writers fall over themselves to blow Belichick. :rolleyes:

Lol.. If the jets made this move you'd be having tannenbaum's name tattooed on ur fat pimple ridden a$$

great move.. All upside.. If it doesn't worknout the cost themselves a fifth rounder in 2 years

Lol.. If the jets made this move you'd be having tannenbaum's name tattooed on ur fat pimple ridden a$$

great move.. All upside.. If it doesn't worknout the cost themselves a fifth rounder in 2 years

I wouldn't be excited about the Jets giving up a draft pick for fat, lazy, slob who couldn't pass his conditioning test last year.

Grow a brain and stop buying into a narrative that hasn't been true for close to a decade.

I wouldn't be excited about the Jets giving up a draft pick for fat, lazy, slob who couldn't pass his conditioning test last year.

Grow a brain and stop buying into a narrative that hasn't been true for close to a decade.

Exactly. Albert withered under Shanny's strict control, same will happen with Belli. If he played for Rex he would end up in the pro bowl and Canton.

$5 mil left on his deal.

Actually there's about $60M left on his deal. :lol:

$5.4M this year, $7.2M next year, and a $20M bonus + $8.5M in 2013... But I expect that even if Albert is working out pretty well for them, some sort of negotiation will take place to eliminate that balloon payment.

Archived