Kyle Wilson...

Bugg

SUCKS.

Bait has been cut on this guy.

If we are signing a 3rd CB IN Strickland and still hoping for Cro to come on board, seems clear despite his contract Wilson is getting the vernon Gholston treatment. The jets are going to sign a #2 no matter what, so seems with Strickland on board the chance to scream 'TURN THE F_CK AROUND!" will be very few.

DID WE HAVE A DRAFT LAST YEAR????

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's still young. This will put pressure on him to get better. I like it. It's not like his coverage was that bad, he just couldn't turn around in time.w

Im guessing this is the plan. it just seems as if Rex wants a guy who can play now and has proven it. We need Cro back no doubt.

Because they had 2 good CB's in front of him. The jets have no no 2 CB now and are desperate to add one to keep Wilson from starting.

That isn't what you said. You said if he's not starting by year 2 he's likely a bust.

I've already said if the Jets bring in a FA for big bucks (even one they had last year) then they think Wilson blows. It would mean the BEST-case scenario is that they feel Wilson is merely unreliable so far (to start), and that's really stretching it.

I get what Sperm is saying, but if you're the Jets and you feel like you have a very good chance at winning the Super Bowl now, you can't just rely on Wilson figuring it out on his own with no minicamps and OTAs in his second season in a position that has one of the hardest learning curves. That doesn't necessarily mean that Wilson sucks, it could just mean that they don't have enough information about him to give him the job for the year. He just got boned with the situation that he's been put into, honestly.

Besides, Rex pretty much uses his entire stable of cornerbacks during the season. It's not like being the nickelback means his playing time is cut hugely vs. if we was the #2.

That isn't what you said. You said if he's not starting by year 2 he's likely a bust.

I've already said if the Jets bring in a FA for big bucks (even one they had last year) then they think Wilson blows. It would mean the BEST-case scenario is that they feel Wilson is merely unreliable so far (to start), and that's really stretching it.

The logic displayed in this thread is mind numbingly stupid. He's entering his second year, before training camp. What the fvck is wrong with all of you?

And before you ask: It means he's an UNKNOWN commodity, they don't have confidence in him RIGHT NOW. That says nothing about his future, how he will develop, or what they think about him as a player over all.

This is a Rex Ryan defense we are talking about. DB's are at a premium, and we have no pass rush, nor are there any pass rushers available. So should they:

A) Sign as much talent to the roster as they can regardless of cost

B) Sign as much talent as they can without breaking the bank (which may mean slow goings in the negotiation process)

C) Do Nothing to improve the team at a position that is important to the system

Going after Cro has no bearing on Wilson, or what they think of him at this point. However, offering Cro a ridiculous contract does have a bearing.

I guess the point is that we shall see.

Whcih is like saying the play was fine and dandy for Mrs. Lincoln spare the gunfire and gaping head wound.

Nope it's like saying he's got one thing to work on before he'll be a complete CB, but once he gets there everything else is in place.

Jets fans really are some of the most negative people I've ever encountered.

When the Jets drafted Wilson I was very excited. I thought he was the most talented DB in the draft, and he might be yet. I must admit so far I have been disappointed. Haven't given up at all though.

Jets, and Wilson, are in a very tough spot. The lock out has really hurt Wilson. The guy has all the tools you could ask from any young CB. He clearly showed he wasn't ready for prime time in the ravens game. Which was also a very tough spot. First game, very highly hyped game on MNF. Looked like he panicked, and hurt his confidence. He clearly needed work on his technique. As I said he has the skill. Any one else remember during last years camp when Lowery went to the DB's coach and said he didn't want to compete against Wilson for the #2 spot, and to let him just play the nickle. Which they quickly did, and Rex raved about Wilson.

Fast forward to now. Wilson has missed invaluable hours of film room, and working with coaches. Yes he worked out with Revis for a week, but Revis isn't a coach. Just because Revis is the best CB on the planet doesn't mean he can coach a young player. Or want to.

Rex's D is structured around DB's. They don't have a pass rusher that really frightens anyone. This is a built to win now team. Rex clearly understands that the Jets have to get by Manning and Brady to get to the Super Bowl They haven't seen Wilson since the season ended. Have no idea where he is at. Are they going to risk the entire season on one position? I don't think they are that stupid.

Even if they sign Cro for big money, I don't think that means that Wilson is a bust. They are just not going to risk the entire season, and have people saying in Feb. "It's their fault because they didn't take a shot at Cromartie. Even if they sign Cro, and pay him big money, and Wilson turns out to be a stud. Is that a bad thing?

wilson reminds me of asante samuel, the kind of corner that does not do well in Rex's system.. small frame, more of an off coverage ball hawk than a man coverage guy. I haven't given up on him yet, he was asked to jump on a contending team and perform right away but hopefully rex will find a way to use him.

The logic displayed in this thread is mind numbingly stupid. He's entering his second year, before training camp. What the fvck is wrong with all of you?

And before you ask: It means he's an UNKNOWN commodity, they don't have confidence in him RIGHT NOW. That says nothing about his future, how he will develop, or what they think about him as a player over all.

Hey I agree he is an unknown. He had a rough first game, but that was one friggin' game. If they are shopping for a stop-gap player who isn't going to burn them cap-wise to cut in a year or two, then that's one thing. But if the Jets are actively shopping for a full-time starter (like Cromartie) and are going to pay him in the $8M/year range on a 4+ year contract, then it says they don't think he's the answer opposite Revis. Money talks. You don't pay a guy that much if you think someone already on the team has even a good chance to be a starter. Tannenbaum doesn't get free agency drunkenness. If they go that hard after someone like Cromartie it's because Rex requested someone to start instead of Wilson.

Asomugha was a different situation because he's a unique player. There are only 2 with his ability and production on the planet and we already have the other one.

What are you basing that on? That's a hell of a lot of supposition.

I see Strickland as a number 4 CB if we bring Cro back with Cro obviously being the #2 and at worst for Wilson a battle with Strickland for nickel.

i would feel better about that scenario if he played better in the nickel last season..

maybe wilson needs to play on the outside..

i still think he has a chance to be good..

i guess we'll find out..

giving up on wilson already would be like your mother throwing you in the dumpster because you couldnt pronounce words or walk on your first birthday...

I'm really the only one that would do that?

balderdash bugg

if you are trying to get out of the AFC, you have to match up with the cheatahs, colts, bolts, and steelers, and may wind up facing the saints in the big one

you need 6 corners (Assuming injuries along the way)

the more the merrier

Think about this - Rex had Ed Reed as a safety in Baltimore. He needed three good corners with Ed Reed, he'll need 2 great and one better than good without Ed Reed. If "cover zero" is gonna be a regular call for the Jets, Rex needs 3 starting caliber corners. No one is giving up on Wilson that quickly, especially with the amount of leeway VG was given for 2 years with Rex. Wilson is definitely a piece of the puzzle.

Revis was OK his rookie year. Not great. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Working on his technique.

Started all 16 games and only gave up 3 TD's, one of which came because he was tackled by Abram Elam.

Rveis had a GREAT rookie season. You guys should watch some other rookie CB's once in a while, because under no circumstances was it anything less.

Started all 16 games and only gave up 3 TD's, one of which came because he was tackled by Abram Elam.

Rveis had a GREAT rookie season. You guys should watch some other rookie CB's once in a while, because under no circumstances was it anything less.

he had a lot of technique problems his rookie year, such as turning a locating. i definitely would agree that he was good, but great....no way: it is just too hard to come in and play CB at the NFL level

he had a lot of technique problems his rookie year, such as turning a locating. i definitely would agree that he was good, but great....no way: it is just too hard to come in and play CB at the NFL level

Great by NFL rookie standards. Most CB's dont even play, let alone be a solid starter in year one. He had some problems, but I only ever them really being exposed against Edwards. Those damn crossing routes...

The Revis hold out hurt him big time. He was going to come in here and play the slot. He had never played the slot. However, he didn't get to have much of a preseason playing the slot because of Revis being out. He was decent on the outside being able to use the boundary, but in the slot, where there is a 2 way break, he didn't look comfortable

\Getting back to the original post, it seems clear the Jets think Wilson isn't going to be what they (and we) had hoped when drafting him. No matter how much people are rationalizing now in hindsight how we need more than 2 corners to beat Brady, Manning, etc., no team burns a first round pick with the hopes he's going to someday turn into a good nickel back or for depth. You draft guys in round 1 to be starters, and ideally to be very good if not star starters at that.

Glad we at least got last year's CB tandem back (albeit at a steep price). But a bummer on Wilson. Hope he surprises everyone, makes great strides anyway, and proves Rex & co. wrong.

\Getting back to the original post, it seems clear the Jets think Wilson isn't going to be what they (and we) had hoped when drafting him. No matter how much people are rationalizing now in hindsight how we need more than 2 corners to beat Brady, Manning, etc., no team burns a first round pick with the hopes he's going to someday turn into a good nickel back or for depth. You draft guys in round 1 to be starters, and ideally to be very good if not star starters at that.

Glad we at least got last year's CB tandem back (albeit at a steep price). But a bummer on Wilson. Hope he surprises everyone, makes great strides anyway, and proves Rex & co. wrong.

Disagree.

Of course they hope/expect the guy to be a starter at some point. This team is too good to give away starting jobs based on hope. They need to have an alternative and cover their asses. Just like signing Hunter again doesn't mean that Ducasse is a bust or signing LT doesn't mean that Greene or McKhight are busts. Of course they all might be, but having solid players at their positions isn't proof of anything other than that this is a good team with a good GM.

I think the Jets are hedging their bets and wisely so. I seriously doubt they have given up all hope on him, but the fact is that after a tough start to his rookie year and then absolutely no offseason whatsoever to work with him or evaluate him, it would be a very dangerous move to count on him as a starter right now. But on the flip side, if it turns out he gets his sh*t together and turns things around, it's not like the Jets are going to be in this horrible situation where they just have too many good CBs. They certainly aren't counting on him being what they had hoped at this point, but I don't think that means they've given up on him either. After all, the fact that to begin with they went out and drafted a first round CB just weeks after trading a conditional pick for Cromartie should tell you this teams' focus on CBs. There's a lot less risk involved in potentially underestimating him than overestimating him.

Hey I agree he is an unknown. He had a rough first game, but that was one friggin' game. If they are shopping for a stop-gap player who isn't going to burn them cap-wise to cut in a year or two, then that's one thing. But if the Jets are actively shopping for a full-time starter (like Cromartie) and are going to pay him in the $8M/year range on a 4+ year contract, then it says they don't think he's the answer opposite Revis. Money talks. You don't pay a guy that much if you think someone already on the team has even a good chance to be a starter. Tannenbaum doesn't get free agency drunkenness. If they go that hard after someone like Cromartie it's because Rex requested someone to start instead of Wilson.

Asomugha was a different situation because he's a unique player. There are only 2 with his ability and production on the planet and we already have the other one.

I dont question Rex when it comes to defense much, but putting Wilson out there on Boldin 1 on 1, in his first ever game which happened to be MNF, was pretty stupid. I think it hurt his mental.

He played pretty well after that IMO. He was always in position, but didnt make great plays on the ball. The fact that he was in the right position as a rookie in a complex defense, is a good thing.

While the Cro signing definitely indicates they are not completely comfortable with him yet, I dont agree this is a prediction of the future. I'm sure they are still expecting Wilson to be everything they drafted him to be, but why not lock up a true man to man #2 guy in the interim...especially considering the lack of offseason programs that really benefits the younger guys.

I told you guys he wasnt ready to start opposite Revis. Rex saw it the very same way. Kyle Wilson will still contribute to this team just not as the starting CB.

I'm really looking foward to when you land a spot on the defensive coaching staff and Smashmouth is our GM.

SUPER BOWL!!!

Disagree.

Of course they hope/expect the guy to be a starter at some point. This team is too good to give away starting jobs based on hope. They need to have an alternative and cover their asses. Just like signing Hunter again doesn't mean that Ducasse is a bust or signing LT doesn't mean that Greene or McKhight are busts. Of course they all might be, but having solid players at their positions isn't proof of anything other than that this is a good team with a good GM.

This, also factor in the fact that he's not getting a full off-season entering his second year, tough to put all your faith in that guy when he clearly had a long way to go.

I disagree with the entire notion of CB's needing to start to be considered a "success", if he can be a good nickel back in the time being, then he will be very valuable.

Disagree.

Disagree right back at you. What you're saying is not what I'm saying. If they sign Hunter for $4M/season with low guaranteed money and Ducasse gets the job it isn't a motherload of blown money. Hunter is versatile and if he doesn't start they can reneg him or cut him with no egg on their faces. It's a low enough number that there will still be competition for RT.

So that analogy is only applicable if:

1) It wasn't Hunter at $3-4M, but rather a RT they're paying $7-8M/year for.

2) There weren't other OL positions - starting OL positions - that Ducasse may be in line to compete with this year or next.

With Wilson, there is only 1 starting position: CB opposite Revis. There is no option for him to break into the lineup at guard if the Jets signed a RT to a megadeal, as is the situation with Ducasse.

Same thing with Greene. If the Jets went out and sign up LT or draft McKnight or the other kid it is not the same thing. First of all, no one does starting CBBC the way RBBC is done. Second, that would still only apply to my analogy, where they think Greene is non-starting material, if they went out and signed someone like DeAngelo Williams to big bucks.

That is the message with re-signing Cromartie to $8M/year. I will say it's not as bad as if the guaranteed money was 3 years'-worth instead of 2. But that may have more to do with their reluctance in investing 3 guaranteed years in Cromartie than 3 guaranteed years in not-Wilson.

I'm not even a big critic of Wilson's. I'm going by what I perceive the Jets' actions, in signing not-Wilson to an $8M/year deal, to mean.

Archived