Eric Smith will be our starting safety....

rollingrock49

Awesome, we can play defense with 10 players on every snap when he trips and falls on his face. But seriously, let's hope Rex isn't getting to that point where he believes his own hype enough to think he can make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t, because half the people on this board would be just as effective in coverage. I'll wait until we see if the Jets are actually stupid enough to not even bring someone in to compete with Smith before really passing judgment.

I like Smith. He is not the best in coverage, but he is tough and makes receivers think twice about coming across the middle. I think Lowrey will continue to see more time at Safety, but they gave Smith starting safety money, so he is going to start. Coaches love the guy, and I would say the coaching staff's evaluation of talent has been spot on under this regime.

2 things

1. Why does it matter if he's white? Enough with the racism already.

2. I don't like the idea either. However if Rex thinks it is a good idea, then I trust him more than all of you combined. :)

1. Dude, I'm just joking about the white thing.

I'll start putting /sarcasm at the end of my posts then.

2. Rex may be saying Smith will start now, but remember its still the offseason and something could change very quickly.

Guest Jpf4671

This is posturing,.they'll bring someone else in at some point,..I liked re upping smith but for depth not as our starter

How can anyone defend Smith? Do you really wanna look like a douche bag when he continuously messes up and gets exposed every game? Never should Eric Smith start in any defense especailly one of the best in the league.

Our only hope is that the deep middle is so dusted with grit that opposing TEs slip and fall down.

He isn't Dustin Pedroia.

But the white boy and grit jokes are getting played. No one ever called Smith a gritty player.

I seriously doubt that he will be their starting safety. If the roster stays as is, which I doubt, I think they'll try Lowery first.

Rex realized down the stretch last year that Smith can't play the regular Safety position. Re-watch the last 5 games plus playoffs, he was used either as an extra LB or as a lb/S hybrid.

But the white boy and grit jokes are getting played. No one ever called Smith a gritty player.

I guess we should give him some credit. He's got a great football IQ. He's a high-motor gym rat. He's a scrapper who gets his teammates fired up. He's all heart. His character is unimpeachable. Plus, we never have to worry about him being shiftless or uppity.

I guess we should give him some credit. He's got a great football IQ. He's a high-motor gym rat. He's a scrapper who gets his teammates fired up. He's all heart. His character is unimpeachable. Plus, we never have to worry about him being shiftless or uppity.

We also dont have to worry about him saying "I aint takin no hometown discount"

Eric Smith was nowhere near as bad as you guys make him up to be. He hit the snot out of people last season. Isnt that what we want from our S position, his covergae skills arent all that bad. Give this kid a break. :angry:

Smith's allegedly unbelievable hitting power has gotten completely blown out of proportion based on one clock-cleaning hit to everyone's least favorite gritty WR, Wes Welker. Sure he's no Kerry Rhodes, but he's also not any more fantastic of a hitter than your average safety in the league. The one thing he's got going for him in terms of hitting is he gets to a hit a lot of players after he routinely lets them get a catch directly in front of him. Well you know, that is when he doesn't fall down first. Smith's a very good special teams player, and a whole lot of mediocre at everything else.

Archived