Mo Wilkerson will start from day 1 at DE

InstantClassic

What about DeVito? He was pretty solid.

Beat me to it. I have no idea why so many people around here seem to completely dismiss DeVito and think it's a forgone conclusion his starting job will just be handed away. Don't get me wrong, given the changes to the line I think it's that much more likely he'll be pulled off the field on obvious passing downs, as pass rush is certainly not his strength, but the guy stepped into the starting lineup and was one of the league's best run defenders. You don't lose your job playing like that, especially not on a Rex Ryan D.

Beat me to it. I have no idea why so many people around here seem to completely dismiss DeVito and think it's a forgone conclusion his starting job will just be handed away. Don't get me wrong, given the changes to the line I think it's that much more likely he'll be pulled off the field on obvious passing downs, as pass rush is certainly not his strength, but the guy stepped into the starting lineup and was one of the league's best run defenders. You don't lose your job playing like that, especially not on a Rex Ryan D.

Exactly. I think Rex is gonna try and mix it up more on passing down situations if we have Pace, Pitoitua, K Ellis, Wilkerson, Pouha, and Westermann all at full strength.

He's gritty... jk

Mike Devito is a starter, period. If he wasn't on the Jets he'd start for the Ravens, Cowboys or Steelers. He's a 3-4 DE starter in the NFL and he's very underrated.

I would feel much better if this were coming after a couple of weeks of practices. Announcing it now is the same as saying it on draft day. Doesn't mean he'll be good, just that he'll start.

It is to drive down the value of Ellis... and make other teams think twice before offering him $$$.

I think the point he's making is the game has evolved. There was a time when you didn't need 2 RB to share the load either or had a punter who played 2 extra positions.

Actually, I think the point he was trying to make was that he has no idea what he's talking about.

And, you're right, punters now play three positions.

Not that I think that big daddy wilk is not a starter but Rex went out and said that Wilson was his starter from day 1 last year.

just saying...

yes he did, and he was, and that's the last we saw of him the rest of the year

I'm pretty sure that was during the Revis hold out.

I'm pretty sure that was during the Revis hold out.

It was, but Rex did anoint him the starter during camp when Lowery said he didn't want to compete with him for the #2 because he was that good. Lowery requested to just train as the nickle. Or something like that.

It was, but Rex did anoint him the starter during camp when Lowery said he didn't want to compete with him for the #2 because he was that good. Lowery requested to just train as the nickle. Or something like that.

yup, doubt that devito will do the same, nor should he. hope devito comes out and beats teh isht out of some olinemen in the preseason to let rex know he isnt done as a starter. come to think of it, this may just have been to light a fire under pituatoa or someone else...

cant wait for the first preseason game : )

Big shoes to fill. Not thrilled about the depth either.

Actually I'm not to concerned about the depth on DL. That is if Mo actually wins the starters job, and Pito is healthy. That's not a sure thing his injury was a very severe one that often takes 18 months. It's only been a year. Last year Rex was raving about him. if Elis can play the NT spot IMO the DL is OK. If there is trouble with all of the above, not so much

Archived