All things Cotchery

MarylandJetsFan

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not intellectually capable of issuing a coherent rebuttal to any of these points and I don't think that makes me a bad person.

T0MShane = Every Jets fan in the Herm era. "You have to take care of your veterans! Re-signing Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet to ridiculous deals in their old age are good moves!"

What is the debate about for whom to "believe"? The story is quite simple.

Cotchery is 29 yrs old in the 2nd to last year of his contract. At best, he has only 1 big NFL contract left in him. He WON'T get that contract by being the Jets' No. 3 WR. Cotchery knows that.

Unfortunately for him he's hurt, so he won't get anything now. He has to wait to get healthy, sign with a new team on a 1 yr deal and then look to get a longterm contract next year from someone.

So from Cotchery's long-term financial perspective, getting cut by the Jets is a good thing.

This.

At the end of the day, Cotchery put himself and his long term financial future ahead of the Jets and potentially winning a Super Bowl. He wanted out at the end of last season.

I like Cotch, he's been a good Jet, but let's face it, when it comes right down to it, he's like any other NFL football player, he needs to make as much as he can before it's over and he wasn't going to do that as the Jets #3 guy.

He's gone because he wanted to be gone, not because the Jets wanted him gone.

Good luck to him, except when he plays us.

He's worth $4 million, huh?

So, is that a million dollars for each 10 catches, or a million for each 100 yards?

**** Cotchery. He didn't want to be here. Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

Better that than paying a guy 1.5 mil for each year he's been in prison.

At the end of the day, Cotchery put himself and his long term financial future ahead of the Jets and potentially winning a Super Bowl. He wanted out at the end of last season.

Exactly:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/6227/the-latest-on-the-mason-situation

The Jets remain interested in free-agent WR Derrick Mason, but they're not the only team in pursuit. His two former teams, the Ravens and Titans, are rumored to be in the hunt. There are also rumblings about the Browns. If it comes down to dollars, the Jets aren't optimistic.

"I'm sure he'd have to leave money on the table to come here," Rex Ryan said Friday.

One aspect of the Mason/Jerricho Cotchery situation begs a question: Why did the Jets release Cotchery before having secured his replacement? By doing so, they gave more leverage to Mason's agents. No matter how much the Jets talk up rookie Jeremy Kerley and their young receivers, they have a glaring need at the position. The only certainty is Santonio Holmes. After him, lots of questions, including Plaxico Burress.

So why did the Jets leave themselves exposed like this? Ryan said he promised Cotchery that he'd trade or release him. As we reported Thursday, Cotchery wanted out, a request he first made after last season. Cotchery wanted his old starting job back, and the Jets weren't willing to go there.

"I'm a man of my word," Ryan said, explaining the curious timing of the Cotchery release.

I believe Ryan. The Jets wanted to do right by Cotchery, a loyal soldier for seven years. But by doing so, they put themselves in a pickle.

Cotchery ASKED FOR HIS RELEASE OR TRADE at the end of last season because he wanted to be a starter rather than a #3. That's the reason we're shopping receivers. It's not because the organization hates Cotchery, he asked for a release or trade since he wants to be a starter. Everyone gets all up in arms acting like Tanny has no idea what he's doing, when the fact is, it's simply because you guys are impatient and judgmental. Tanny is a certified genius. We had no choice in this matter, just like with Edwards.

Next person talking crap about Tanny and the management of the Jets gets a slap upside the head.

I know a lot of you are emotionally invested in this team, but don't let your petty emotions get the best of you.

RichCimini Rich Cimini

Ex-Jet Jerricho Cotchery will have no comment today on his release, according to a team spokesman. #Jets

Someone is taking the high road.

And the Jets aren't taking the high road? They gave him what he wanted even after trying to talk him into coming back.

Says them. I think we're getting half truths.

What "half truths"?

The story is out there. Jets said they wanted him to stay, Cotchery didn't deny it. Cotchery told the media that a change of scenery would be better for him and the Jets confirmed he wanted out.

It's really simple. Cotchery knew his reduced role would hurt him financially and he wouldn't want to take a paycut if it meant staying as the No. 3. In other words, taking less money and not being featured is detrimental to his future earning power.

What "half truths"?

The story is out there. Jets said they wanted him to stay, Cotchery didn't deny it. Cotchery told the media that a change of scenery would be better for him and the Jets confirmed he wanted out.

It's really simple. Cotchery knew his reduced role would hurt him financially and he wouldn't want to take a paycut if it meant staying as the No. 3. In other words, taking less money and not being featured is detrimental to his future earning power.

All reasonable. And I think the Jets showed him enough respect to cut him and let him find a team rather than dangle him for a 5th round pick.

Let's all hug it out and move on.

Titans inquire about Jerricho Cotchery

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 5, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT

j-cotchery1.jpg?w=121

AP

With Malcom Floyd returning to San Diego, the rest of the veteran wide receiver dominoes look ready to fall.

Derrick Mason is wanted by the Titans, Ravens, and Jets. Rex Ryan said Friday that Mason would probably have to take less money to play with the Jets, presumably because of cap room.

The Titans also have Mason atop their wish list. Mason lives in Nashville, but Tennessee is making sure they have their bases covered so they contacted Jerricho Cotchery on Friday, according to Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean.

The Ravens wanted Floyd. While Cotchery has a different skill set, perhaps they’ll show interest in him too.

Archived