Jerricho to Mehta: If he (Derrick Mason) passes physical, he's here and I'm not

nj meadowlands

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

#Jets Jerricho Cotchery tells me: "It's time to move on." #nyj

#Jets Jerricho Cotchery is a realist re: Derrick Mason: Tells me: "If he passes the physical, he's on the team and I won't be." #nyj

In case u were wondering, Jerricho Cotchery tells me taking a paycut isn't going to happen: "I've made sacrifices (for team in past)." #nyj

JennyVrentas Jenny Vrentas

Cotchery said he expects to be released from Jets. Not a trade, he said, because teams don't know if he's healthy. #nyj

nflwhispers Dan Leberfeld

The Jets cut-throat GM Mike Tannenbaum is going to release Jerricho Cotchery for a 37-year-old receiver who is one of Rex's boys.

A 37 yr old midget who the only reason even has stats is cause he was Baltimores only WR for years.

I understand this is probably a salary move, but it makes me sick.

WR Jerricho Cotchery signed a 5 year extension with the New York Jets on March 2, 2007. The contract includes a 7 million dollar signing bonus and another 3 million dollar bonus in 2007. Cotcherys salary with the Jets will be $850,000(2007), $1,605,000(2008), $1,780,000(2009), $1,800,000(2010), $1,800,000(2011), and $2,000,000(2012). The contract also has a de-escalor clause to reduce Cotcherys base salary if he does not meet certain performance levels.

This made me feel better. Hope it works for you. ****, I just read an article about how employers are no longer hiring the unemployed. I'm sick again.

For the first time this offseason, I am seriously unhappy with a move by the Jets (assuming this does in fact happen). From top to bottom it's a dumb a$$ move, without question. You're further disrupting the WR corps and making it the third consecutive year where Sanchez will spend half the season getting used to his new receiving targets. And the best part? Thanks to two of the Jets receivers being 34 and 37, this gets to happen all over again next year! Absolutely ******* moronic.

The Jets have enough issues in the passing game thanks to a dipsh*t OC and a young, still growing QB, is it all that hard to put together a consistent WR corps for them to work with? They're just making a bad situation worse.

The only way this move makes any sense is if Cotchery won't be ready in time for the regular season.

Im not exactly sure what we're trying to do with our offense. Are we TRYING to suck on purpose? Granted Cotch can't practice but why release him for suck a$$ Derrick Mason? For all that they shouldve resigned Braylon Edwards.

Im not exactly sure what we're trying to do with our offense. Are we TRYING to suck on purpose? Granted Cotch can't practice but why release him for suck a$$ Derrick Mason?

We gave Santonio Holmes $50 million. How is that trying to suck? Don't be upset just because Braylon Edwards won't reduce his pricetag. That's the SOLE reason we're looking to replace Cotchery (who was pretty much terrible last year) with Mason (who DIDN'T suck last year at 36 years old) instead of Braylon.

Im not exactly sure what we're trying to do with our offense. Are we TRYING to suck on purpose? Granted Cotch can't practice but why release him for suck a$$ Derrick Mason? For all that they shouldve resigned Braylon Edwards.

All indications lead me to believe that Brittle Burress and now Cotchery who may be more injured then we know will lead to the return of Braylon Edwards sooner than later. :D

We gave Santonio Holmes $50 million. How is that trying to suck? Don't be upset just because Braylon Edwards won't reduce his pricetag. That's the SOLE reason we're looking to replace Cotchery (who was pretty much terrible last year) with Mason (who DIDN'T suck last year at 36 years old) instead of Braylon.

Mason sucks.

This sucks... Looking at the New York Jets Cap site, the savings is only 450,000. You are still on the hook for 3 million in dead money. Derrick Mason has to make more than 450,000. So I am not understanding what is going on.

Its not a financial maneuver. Jerricho is hurt and coming off his worst season as a pro. Clearly the Jets believe Mason is an upgrade. Not to mention, they're more than willing to reverse course and bring back Braylon instead of Mason if he reduces his contract demands.

Its not a financial maneuver. Jerricho is hurt and coming off his worst season as a pro. Clearly the Jets believe Mason is an upgrade. Not to mention, they're more than willing to reverse course and bring back Braylon instead of Mason if he reduces his contract demands.

Mason is no upgrade. Id rather T.O or Moss or Patrick Turner. This is Rex still having manlove for Baltimore cast-offs :angry:

This would be the worst move we've seen out of Tanny since taking over the Jets. All this "but Cothery sucked last year" is a bunch of sh*t. So the guy had a bad season. God for-*******-bid somebody has an off year. The guy has been playing below market value for the past several seasons and hasn't bitched ONCE! Class act. Plays hard, and he's younger than the antique they want to replace him with. Are they going out and getting a bunch of guys on 1 year deals to free up a ton of money to make a run at Ngata next year?

If the Jets FO does end up taking a sh*t on Cotchery, I expect him to sign with NE and spend a few years killing the Jets.

How about we see how he plays with the jets before saying he sucks or he's terrible. But everyone here is always doom and gloom anyway so that won't happen.

Hes a 37 yr old midget. For years he was Baltimores only WR the guy sucks. Braylon Edwards is 1000000000x better and still unsigned.

This move makes little to no sense. Cotchery wasn't good last yeat but he gets the benefit of the doubt based on his body of work over the course of his career. This is so stupid. For the first time ever, I'm starting to question Tannenbaum's vision. Unless he brings back Braylon or has a deal in the works, this makes NO sense.

Archived