Joe McKnight sprains ankle

flgreen

Notebook: Camp is family affair for Revis

August, 9, 2011

Aug 9

2:44

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

A year ago, Darrelle Revis skipped training camp, mired in a bitter contract holdout that made national headlines for over a month. Fast forward to this summer. Not only did Revis report on time, doing his usual lockdown thing at cornerback, but he brought a member of his family with him -- his uncle Sean Gilbert, the former NFL defensive lineman.

Revis and Gilbert are very close, so close that Gilbert was in Revis' inner circle last year during the holdout. Gilbert is interested in pursuing a career in coaching, and he's working as a coaching intern with the Jets. Specifically, he's helping DL coach Mark Carrier.

"It's like being a pup all over again," said Gilbert, a first-round pick of the Rams in 1992.

Gilbert spent 10 years in the league, playing with the Rams, Redskins, Panthers and Raiders. He knows stuff. He has worked with high-school and college kids near his home in Charlotte, so he decided to see if the coaching life suits him. He asked Rex Ryan if he could come to camp, and the Jets' coach said OK.

Gilbert doesn't get much of a chance to speak with Revis because their day-to-day responsibilities keep them apart, but he enjoys the feeling of being so close.

"It's cool to see him at practice," Gilbert said. "Sometimes you have that moment when you flash back to when he was a baby. He's a grown man now, doing something he loves. I'm happy for him."

Said Revis: "It's great. He's a big part of my life, he's a big mentor to me."

JOE TWEAK: Backup RB Joe McKnight sprained his left ankle Monday and sat out of team drills Tuesday. McKnight is the top candidate to return kickoffs, and he's also being considered for the Wildcat package, along with rookie Jeremy Kerley and LaDainian Tomlinson.

OFF GUARD: Rob Turner is working with the first team at right guard, Brandon Moore's spot. Vlad Ducasse had been there, splitting time between right guard and right tackle, but he's now working exclusively at tackle, behind Wayne Hunter. Moore, on the PUP list because of his surgically repaired hip, is expected back soon, according to Ryan.

ODDS AND ENDS: Backup CB Marquice Cole still isn't in camp. He was excused because of a family matter ... The Jets are really counting on third-year OLB Jamaal Westerman to boost the pass rush. "He's a guy we expect big things from," defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said ... WR Logan Payne, on the practice squad last year, has an excellent chance to make the team as the No. 5 receiver. He's big in Mike Westhoff's plans on special teams.

Sucks, but if the ankle sprain is the worst we've had so far, can't really complain about that.

On a side note, am I the only who laughs at the irony of the guy who was at least partially responsible for last years offseason mess now wanting to be a coaching intern for the team? What a douche.

OFF GUARD: Rob Turner is working with the first team at right guard, Brandon Moore's spot. Vlad Ducasse had been there, splitting time between right guard and right tackle, but he's now working exclusively at tackle, behind Wayne Hunter. Moore, on the PUP list because of his surgically repaired hip, is expected back soon, according to Ryan.

Vlad is bad. Bummer.

WR Logan Payne, on the practice squad last year, has an excellent chance to make the team as the No. 5 receiver. He's big in Mike Westhoff's plans on special teams.

Most interesting item in the article, IMHO. Scotty McKnight has been getting a lot of chatter, as has Courtney Smith. Be interesting if Payne's the guy.

Most interesting item in the article, IMHO. Scotty McKnight has been getting a lot of chatter, as has Courtney Smith. Be interesting if Payne's the guy.

My guess is we're taking 6. Tone, Plax, Mason, Kerley, Smith, Campbell.... I dont see them taking McKnight, he seems like just a worse version of Kerley... Then again, it would be hard to cut a draft player after just 2 weeks of camp. We'll see...

I cant wait to see this Kerley guy for myself. Even fat a$$ Peter King was raving about him in MMQB

He definitely stood out in camp when i was there sunday.

Funny thing, when you walk into camp, they hand you a nice printed roster card with all the players and numbers. Kerley was #85. Through most of practice the WR were practicing right in front of the bleachers I was sitting in, but Kerley was nowhere to be seen. I did keep seeing #11 making great plays and being the standout of the WR group, but #11 wasn't on the roster card. I thought maybe it was Mace. So i googled on my phone and found out that morning Kerley had switched to #11 to make room for Mace.

Kerley can actually play receiver. I hope they just devlop him as a WR and do not use him in that Seminole nonsense....

LT is too old to be doing it. If it gets Mcknight some extra touches and it works fine.

But that is one offensive set if I do not see the Jets run it all year, I will not miss it....

This stuff with McKnight is just ridiculous. When are the Jets going to see that he's just not a football player and cut bait? I mean, seriously, after that bs in his rookie year, now this?

it's safe to say this is why they drafted powell

joe mcknight has fantastic talent but cannot be relied upon.

They drafted Powell because McKnight might sprain an ankle? Huh?

If anything, I would think Powell was drafted as the insurance / successor for Greene. They are much more similar players than Powell and McKnight.

I'm pretty confident that Doggin was being sarcastic, and that it flew right over your head.

Also confident that the Jets have significant plans for McKnight this year, and that Powell is here to push Greene.

Archived