Remember when....

JetsFanNick12

Remember when we could never get a big name player, we always settled for the next step or 2 down. Never having a consistent QB year in and year out, when we couldn't beat the Patriots, and breaking .500 was a good season to us. Tom Brady beat us in the playoffs in a laugher, and we relied on Brooks Bollinger at times and even had a QB battle between Brett Ratliff and Kellen Clemens for our starter before Favre came to town. Goodbye SOJ, I LOVE this mentality of Super Bowl or bust, because the last time I ever mentioned the Jets serious Super Bowl contenders was 98 and 04. Now this is the 3rd year in a row we can make our mark, and the 3rd times always a charm.

Honestly, Carter wasn't all that bad for the Jets. He would've won all his starts if not for that retarded halfback option by LaMont Jordan. He did better than that year's noodle-armed starter.

I was at the game in Buffalo when Q came in for an injured Pennington.

That TD bomb he threw to Santana Moss was something else.

Remember when... Our #1 receiver for about 8 years was either Santana Moss or Laverneus Coles? Our #1 CB was Andre Dyson/David Barrett/Ty Law? We beat the Patriots a grand total of ONE time in the span of about five or six years? We hadn't beat the Pats at home in over a decade? Our headquarters/training facility/TC were at an old office building and a couple soccer fields at Hofstra? Our top draft picks of Dwayne Robertson, Mike Nugent, Anthony Becht, Doug Jolley?

Yeah, I think we are in a pretty good place now, comparitively.

Remember when...

We signed Rex Ryan to become the greatest head coach in Jets franchise history back in only 2009? That's when the culture of our franchise changed. Thats when we became a top contender out of the AFC.

We've since drafted a franchise QB in Sanchez, have gone 3-2 against the New England Patriots (including a playoff victory in Foxboro), landed big name players such as LaDainian Tomlinson, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, Bart Scott, Antonio Cromartie, Jason Taylor, Lito Sheppard etc etc. More importantly? We've locked up and signed Revis (All-World CB), Mangold (All-Pro Center), Ferguson (Franchise LT), Harris (All-Pro MLB), Holmes (Former SB MVP) and Cromartie (Pro Bown Corner) all long term. That's what you call a core group of stars to build a franchise around for many of years to come. We've also added quality value with Jim Leonhard and Brodney Pool at safety, we've drafted what looks to be our franchise back of the future in Shonn Greene, not to mention we've drafted young players such as Kyle Wilson (Nickel back), Muhammad Wilkerson (Starting DE), Jeremy Kerley (Promise), Kenrick Ellis (Developing 3-4 NT behind Pouha), Joe McKnight (Something in the making), John Conner (The terminator), Matt Slauson (Starting LG), Vladimir Ducasse (Developing RT) and maybe even Ropati Pitoitua (DE), and Jamaal Westerman (OLB) can all end up forming one hell of a young nucleus. Some being role playing depth players such as Pitoitua and Westerman, some expected to break out this up coming season in Joe McKnight and Kyle Wilson, Wilkerson is already starting and reports have it that Kerley and K.Ellis could end up becoming prime time players. Etc etc. We've seen such a revolving door of talent over the past 3 years that it's hard to keep track of. Last but not least... We've made it to the AFC Championship game during consecutive seasons under Rex Ryan, our franchise QB in Mark Sanchez has been truly special come playoff time, we've eliminated teams such as Palmer and the Bengals, Rivers and the Chargers, Manning and the Colts as well as Brady and the freaking Patriots all on the road.

It's never been this fun being a Jets fan. 1998 was a special season, but this is pure fun.

Woody Johnson - Mike Tannenbaum - Rex Ryan

Those are our BIG THREE!

I REMEMBER WHEN we all used to hate on Woody Johnson for being cheap. As things have turned out, he's probably been one of the best owner's in franchise history, if not the NFL.

As owner he has:

-Built the state of the art Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in NJ

-Built a new stadium in the meadowlands, one that dons the green and white during home games and one we can call "our home"

- Assembled by far the best Front Office this franchise ever had

- hired arguably the best coaching staff this franchise has ever had

As a result, this team is much more competitive than it has been in the past. The NYJ are no longer jokes of the NFL, but serious contenders, thanks to Woody Johnson.

Remember when Antoine Winfield, the best FA Cornerback of that offseason, used the Jets to jack up his offer from another team? God I'm glad those days are behind us ;)

Okay...had my fun...it is definitely a better era than the pre-Parcells, or really even the pre-Rex years.

I REMEMBER WHEN we all used to hate on Woody Johnson for being cheap. As things have turned out, he's probably been one of the best owner's in franchise history, if not the NFL.

As owner he has:

-Built the state of the art Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in NJ

-Built a new stadium in the meadowlands, one that dons the green and white during home games and one we can call "our home"

- Assembled by far the best Front Office this franchise ever had

- hired arguably the best coaching staff this franchise has ever had

As a result, this team is much more competitive than it has been in the past. The NYJ are no longer jokes of the NFL, but serious contenders, thanks to Woody Johnson.

I HATE the two items in bold. Couldn't hate them more. Taking the training facility off of LI where it had been forever, and signing up for that piece of crap Giants Stadium II for another generation? What a dick.

I HATE the two items in bold. Couldn't hate them more. Taking the training facility off of LI where it had been forever, and signing up for that piece of crap Giants Stadium II for another generation? What a dick.

And the best coaching staff assembled - that I was old enough to remember - was probably '98. No disrespect to Ryan, who I couldn't be happier with as the Jets HC.

May very well have been the elusive SB year for us as well if Denver wasn't circumventing the salary cap paying guys under the table.

The fact that the Jets, an NFL team supposedly fighting to be contenders, were practicing, conducting TC, and had all of our offices in run-down soccer fields and buildings at a small college in LI is part of what made us a laughable franchise. The new facility, while not as fan accessible, is state of the art, solely Jets, and is completely their own. It is also closer to the meadowlands, and not as hard for players to commute to.

As for the stadium, Woody also did fight for putting our very own in Manhattan, but unfortunately politics got in the way. Of course I say unfortunately, but considering all the whining over PSLs at the NMS last year, I cant imagine what people would be saying about PSLs at our own stadium in downtown NY. Anyway, at least we're out of that old dump that was Giants Stadium, and at least the new stadium looks like ours on gamedays.

The fact that the Jets, an NFL team supposedly fighting to be contenders, were practicing, conducting TC, and had all of our offices in run-down soccer fields and buildings at a small college in LI is part of what made us a laughable franchise. The new facility, while not as fan accessible, is state of the art, solely Jets, and is completely their own. It is also closer to the meadowlands, and not as hard for players to commute to.

Jets spent their entire history on Long Island. Makes me sick that they left. They could've built a new facility here. The extreme least they could've done was continue to have training camp on the Island. Instead they completely abandoned it.

As for the stadium, Woody also did fight for putting our very own in Manhattan, but unfortunately politics got in the way. Of course I say unfortunately, but considering all the whining over PSLs at the NMS last year, I cant imagine what people would be saying about PSLs at our own stadium in downtown NY. Anyway, at least we're out of that old dump that was Giants Stadium, and at least the new stadium looks like ours on gamedays.

They could've built in Queens, too. They were offered a place by the old World's Fair site. Instead they signed on to be second class citizens in Giants Stadium II (which, in itself, is a sh*thole) for another generation.

Sorry, my opinions are pretty firm on these two issues.

Archived